HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#31|Dec. 17, 2011|Bruins at Flyers |1:00 p.m. ET

Old
12-17-2011, 08:50 PM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

vCash: 500
Hey JVR! Do something! Like now!

It's mind blogging how unimpressive he is. Still not sure how this kid has 8 goals this season. Were most them empty netters?

F L Y E R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 09:09 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by F L Y E R S View Post

It's mind blogging how unimpressive he is. Still not sure how this kid has 8 goals this season. Were most them empty netters?
He's pretty clearly still injured.

That being said, it frustrates me to no end to see Briere hogging the puck / carrying it into the zone himself when JVR is on his wing and is wide open.

JVR w/ the puck on his stick is something you want. He is strong on the puck, knows how to shield it, and he is blazingly fast. Why he isn't carrying the puck into the zone w/ speed on our powerplay I don't know... he needs to be used the same way Jagr is.

That being said, some of it is definitely on JVR too. he seems like he's afraid to move on the PP and he doesn't always look like he is giving full effort out there.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Garbage Goal

This game made me sad.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F L Y E R S View Post

Its hard to believe he was a second overall pick. Hes not showing anything like that up to this point. But then again that seemed to be a weak draft.

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

I am certain that JvR is playing injured (at least not close to 100% healthy).

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:16 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards18 View Post
I am certain that JvR is playing injured (at least not close to 100% healthy).
I keep hearing this and I keep stating the same rebuttal.

I also believe he might be injured; however, he looks no different right now than he has ever looked to me. He is invisible, 90% of the time; always has been.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:09 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post

I also believe he might be injured; however, he looks no different right now than he has ever looked to me. He is invisible, 90% of the time; always has been.
Yeah. Unless he was injured throughout last season as well.

12-18-2011, 01:19 AM
DeflatedFootball7

I left after the 5th goal but I think this is one of those games where you have to say "DON'T PANIC". It was bound to happen that we would have a stinker eventually, and with the exception of Pronger, it's nice to try and get injuries out of the way early.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:46 AM
MsWoof

JvR's contract is another one that is going to bite us in the ass for a long time. He played a couple of good playoff games and that got him 6 years/$4 million per. He and Briere need to step it up.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:29 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post

I agree fully 100% with this.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:38 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Thing is in those flashes, JvR looks world class, so we know he has the skill and talent to be worth that contract, he just needs some will and heart to go along with it

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:41 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Thing is in those flashes, JvR looks world class, so we know he has the skill and talent to be worth that contract, he just needs some will and heart to go along with it
That just about sums it up.

Old
12-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
That just about sums it up.
I don't think it does. Just because a player shows flashes of brilliance doesn't mean he lacks the will and heart, if he's not always producing at that level. Some players are just that - good, but not always brilliant. Everyone can make a brilliant move or have an outstanding game here and there, but the best players distinguish themselves from others by being able to up the percentage of such games. JVR just has a wider spread in his game, it seems, and unfortunately the peak in his "distribution" isn't as high as we'd like it to be. But you can't say he has the talent, but not the will and heart. I mean, it might be true, he could lack the latter, but from his play so far I don't think you can make that assumption, but can only say that he's a player that can only play at that very highest level on scant occasions.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:53 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Yep, and that is what drives me crazy. I understand that over an 82 game season, you aren't going to be 100%, balls to the wall, every game...but that should be the exception, not the norm.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I don't think it does. Just because a player shows flashes of brilliance doesn't mean he lacks the will and heart, if he's not always producing at that level. Some players are just that - good, but not always brilliant. Everyone can make a brilliant move or have an outstanding game here and there, but the best players distinguish themselves from others by being able to up the percentage of such games. JVR just has a wider spread in his game, it seems, and unfortunately the peak in his "distribution" isn't as high as we'd like it to be. But you can't say he has the talent, but not the will and heart. I mean, it might be true, he could lack the latter, but from his play so far I don't think you can make that assumption, but can only say that he's a player that can only play at that very highest level on scant occasions.
You're right. Also, adding on to what you said, I hate it when people formulate ideas about the character of a player off of pure conjecture or some loose connection. It's idiotic. Nobody can make a comment about the will of a player because none of us actually know a player that well.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:30 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
You're right. Also, adding on to what you said, I hate it when people formulate ideas about the character of a player off of pure conjecture or some loose connection. It's idiotic. Nobody can make a comment about the will of a player because none of us actually know a player that well.
It's true we don't know him but we've been watching him for enough time now to see he really hasn't improved. Most games you don't even hear his name. People are so protective of him because he was the second overall pick and/or because he's somewhat local. If he wasn't I think more people would be fed up.

Old
12-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Ryker

Quote:
It's true we don't know him but we've been watching him for enough time now to see he really hasn't improved. Most games you don't even hear his name. People are so protective of him because he was the second overall pick and/or because he's somewhat local. If he wasn't I think more people would be fed up.
OK, but even if it's true he hasn't improved, you cannot make the logical leap you did. Not improving in and of itself says NOTHING about a person's will or heart, especially at that level. There could be a wide variety of reasons for why the person does not improve, and, yes, one's heart not being in it is one, but only one of them.

And to be perfectly honest, I expected more from him, as well, and am also frustrated when I see some of his moves are just spectacular, only to realize they don't happen often enough. But that still doesn't mean I'm going to call him out for lack of will or heart. By all means, call him out on his performance, if you want, though. I personally won't, because unfortunately I don't watch enough Flyers hockey to make a fair assessment. Hopefully with the winter break I'll have more time to watch the games, but even so, not knowing the players I'm not going to jump to conclusions for why some players are playing well and others aren't.

Old
12-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
What Beef said. It's a logical leap to come from "he really hasn't improved" to "he has no heart".

Personally, I don't see JVR ever being anything special at this point.

Old
12-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
What Beef said. It's a logical leap to come from "he really hasn't improved" to "he has no heart".
It's also a logical leap to assume that since two people have very similar avatars, they are one and the same person

Old
12-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
It's also a logical leap to assume that since two people have very similar avatars, they are one and the same person
You tricked me.

Old
12-18-2011, 03:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
RT @FriedgeHNIC: Milan Lucic has hearing w/Brendan Shanahan tomorrow, but Zac Rinaldo tells Philly reporters hit was "clean" and looked worse than it was.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Suspended4Life

Ugh...this was a sad game. Couple things...

- Let's stick with Bob on Monday. He's looked solid the past two games.

- Voracek and Talbot again seemed to be the only two forwards that came to play.

- JVR who? The only time I noticed him at all was when he took two penalties.

-When will someone tell Briere he's not a puck-handler??? How many times will it take getting the puck stripped from him entering the zone for them to rethink this strategy???

- Is it considered unsportsmanlike if you pull your goalie with 5 mins left in a hopeless game just to deny the shut out? I've always wondered that.

- Can we just continue to play the rest of our games on the road

- Not saying the Bruins didn't deserve the win because they def did, but we basically handed them that game about 30 seconds in. You're welcome.

- In all seriousness, it was a disappointing game but I'm not too upset. Like Kimmo said after the game, this was basically set-up for failure...afternoon game after a long road trip and right before leaving for another stretch of road games. Just sucky it had to be the Bruins.

Oh and Lucic going in for a hearing...about time.

Suspended4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
RT @FriedgeHNIC: Milan Lucic has hearing w/Brendan Shanahan tomorrow, but Zac Rinaldo tells Philly reporters hit was "clean" and looked worse than it was.
Well, that's very kind of Rinaldo. Perhaps he burned off his ill-will while he was caving in Horton's face?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 02:21 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Well, that's very kind of Rinaldo. Perhaps he burned off his ill-will while he was caving in Horton's face?
League didn't agree with Rinaldo. Lucic suspended 1 game.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=383119

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote