HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#31|Dec. 17, 2011|Bruins at Flyers |1:00 p.m. ET

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-17-2011, 08:50 PM
  #451
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black
 
F L Y E R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,458
vCash: 500
Hey JVR! Do something! Like now!

It's mind blogging how unimpressive he is. Still not sure how this kid has 8 goals this season. Were most them empty netters?

F L Y E R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 09:09 PM
  #452
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by F L Y E R S View Post
Hey JVR! Do something! Like now!

It's mind blogging how unimpressive he is. Still not sure how this kid has 8 goals this season. Were most them empty netters?
He's pretty clearly still injured.

That being said, it frustrates me to no end to see Briere hogging the puck / carrying it into the zone himself when JVR is on his wing and is wide open.

JVR w/ the puck on his stick is something you want. He is strong on the puck, knows how to shield it, and he is blazingly fast. Why he isn't carrying the puck into the zone w/ speed on our powerplay I don't know... he needs to be used the same way Jagr is.

That being said, some of it is definitely on JVR too. he seems like he's afraid to move on the PP and he doesn't always look like he is giving full effort out there.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 09:25 PM
  #453
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,155
vCash: 500
This game made me sad.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 09:43 PM
  #454
Left Circle OneTimer
Registered User
 
Left Circle OneTimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 2,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by F L Y E R S View Post
Hey JVR! Do something! Like now!

It's mind blogging how unimpressive he is. Still not sure how this kid has 8 goals this season. Were most them empty netters?
Its hard to believe he was a second overall pick. Hes not showing anything like that up to this point. But then again that seemed to be a weak draft.

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:05 PM
  #455
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?
 
Roo Mad Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,676
vCash: 500
I am certain that JvR is playing injured (at least not close to 100% healthy).

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:16 PM
  #456
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards18 View Post
I am certain that JvR is playing injured (at least not close to 100% healthy).
I keep hearing this and I keep stating the same rebuttal.

I also believe he might be injured; however, he looks no different right now than he has ever looked to me. He is invisible, 90% of the time; always has been.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:09 AM
  #457
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,564
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I keep hearing this and I keep stating the same rebuttal.

I also believe he might be injured; however, he looks no different right now than he has ever looked to me. He is invisible, 90% of the time; always has been.
Yeah. Unless he was injured throughout last season as well.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:19 AM
  #458
DeflatedFootball7
Registered User
 
DeflatedFootball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Belleville
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,946
vCash: 500
I left after the 5th goal but I think this is one of those games where you have to say "DON'T PANIC". It was bound to happen that we would have a stinker eventually, and with the exception of Pronger, it's nice to try and get injuries out of the way early.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:46 AM
  #459
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,975
vCash: 500
JvR's contract is another one that is going to bite us in the ass for a long time. He played a couple of good playoff games and that got him 6 years/$4 million per. He and Briere need to step it up.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:29 AM
  #460
SnS
Mod Supervisor
 
SnS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 11,813
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I keep hearing this and I keep stating the same rebuttal.

I also believe he might be injured; however, he looks no different right now than he has ever looked to me. He is invisible, 90% of the time; always has been.
I agree fully 100% with this.

__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/nemesis15/SnS-Sig.gif

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:38 AM
  #461
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,453
vCash: 500
Thing is in those flashes, JvR looks world class, so we know he has the skill and talent to be worth that contract, he just needs some will and heart to go along with it

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:41 AM
  #462
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Thing is in those flashes, JvR looks world class, so we know he has the skill and talent to be worth that contract, he just needs some will and heart to go along with it
That just about sums it up.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:27 AM
  #463
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
That just about sums it up.
I don't think it does. Just because a player shows flashes of brilliance doesn't mean he lacks the will and heart, if he's not always producing at that level. Some players are just that - good, but not always brilliant. Everyone can make a brilliant move or have an outstanding game here and there, but the best players distinguish themselves from others by being able to up the percentage of such games. JVR just has a wider spread in his game, it seems, and unfortunately the peak in his "distribution" isn't as high as we'd like it to be. But you can't say he has the talent, but not the will and heart. I mean, it might be true, he could lack the latter, but from his play so far I don't think you can make that assumption, but can only say that he's a player that can only play at that very highest level on scant occasions.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:53 AM
  #464
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Thing is in those flashes, JvR looks world class, so we know he has the skill and talent to be worth that contract, he just needs some will and heart to go along with it
Yep, and that is what drives me crazy. I understand that over an 82 game season, you aren't going to be 100%, balls to the wall, every game...but that should be the exception, not the norm.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:55 AM
  #465
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I don't think it does. Just because a player shows flashes of brilliance doesn't mean he lacks the will and heart, if he's not always producing at that level. Some players are just that - good, but not always brilliant. Everyone can make a brilliant move or have an outstanding game here and there, but the best players distinguish themselves from others by being able to up the percentage of such games. JVR just has a wider spread in his game, it seems, and unfortunately the peak in his "distribution" isn't as high as we'd like it to be. But you can't say he has the talent, but not the will and heart. I mean, it might be true, he could lack the latter, but from his play so far I don't think you can make that assumption, but can only say that he's a player that can only play at that very highest level on scant occasions.
You're right. Also, adding on to what you said, I hate it when people formulate ideas about the character of a player off of pure conjecture or some loose connection. It's idiotic. Nobody can make a comment about the will of a player because none of us actually know a player that well.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:30 PM
  #466
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
You're right. Also, adding on to what you said, I hate it when people formulate ideas about the character of a player off of pure conjecture or some loose connection. It's idiotic. Nobody can make a comment about the will of a player because none of us actually know a player that well.
It's true we don't know him but we've been watching him for enough time now to see he really hasn't improved. Most games you don't even hear his name. People are so protective of him because he was the second overall pick and/or because he's somewhat local. If he wasn't I think more people would be fed up.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:04 PM
  #467
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
It's true we don't know him but we've been watching him for enough time now to see he really hasn't improved. Most games you don't even hear his name. People are so protective of him because he was the second overall pick and/or because he's somewhat local. If he wasn't I think more people would be fed up.
OK, but even if it's true he hasn't improved, you cannot make the logical leap you did. Not improving in and of itself says NOTHING about a person's will or heart, especially at that level. There could be a wide variety of reasons for why the person does not improve, and, yes, one's heart not being in it is one, but only one of them.

And to be perfectly honest, I expected more from him, as well, and am also frustrated when I see some of his moves are just spectacular, only to realize they don't happen often enough. But that still doesn't mean I'm going to call him out for lack of will or heart. By all means, call him out on his performance, if you want, though. I personally won't, because unfortunately I don't watch enough Flyers hockey to make a fair assessment. Hopefully with the winter break I'll have more time to watch the games, but even so, not knowing the players I'm not going to jump to conclusions for why some players are playing well and others aren't.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:08 PM
  #468
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
It's true we don't know him but we've been watching him for enough time now to see he really hasn't improved. Most games you don't even hear his name. People are so protective of him because he was the second overall pick and/or because he's somewhat local. If he wasn't I think more people would be fed up.
What Beef said. It's a logical leap to come from "he really hasn't improved" to "he has no heart".

Personally, I don't see JVR ever being anything special at this point.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:15 PM
  #469
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
What Beef said. It's a logical leap to come from "he really hasn't improved" to "he has no heart".
It's also a logical leap to assume that since two people have very similar avatars, they are one and the same person

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:16 PM
  #470
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
It's also a logical leap to assume that since two people have very similar avatars, they are one and the same person
You tricked me.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 03:49 PM
  #471
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,008
vCash: 5792
RT @FriedgeHNIC: Milan Lucic has hearing w/Brendan Shanahan tomorrow, but Zac Rinaldo tells Philly reporters hit was "clean" and looked worse than it was.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:36 PM
  #472
Suspended4Life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
Ugh...this was a sad game. Couple things...

- Let's stick with Bob on Monday. He's looked solid the past two games.

- Voracek and Talbot again seemed to be the only two forwards that came to play.

- JVR who? The only time I noticed him at all was when he took two penalties.

-When will someone tell Briere he's not a puck-handler??? How many times will it take getting the puck stripped from him entering the zone for them to rethink this strategy???

- Is it considered unsportsmanlike if you pull your goalie with 5 mins left in a hopeless game just to deny the shut out? I've always wondered that.

- Can we just continue to play the rest of our games on the road

- Not saying the Bruins didn't deserve the win because they def did, but we basically handed them that game about 30 seconds in. You're welcome.

- In all seriousness, it was a disappointing game but I'm not too upset. Like Kimmo said after the game, this was basically set-up for failure...afternoon game after a long road trip and right before leaving for another stretch of road games. Just sucky it had to be the Bruins.

Oh and Lucic going in for a hearing...about time.

Suspended4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:41 PM
  #473
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,564
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
RT @FriedgeHNIC: Milan Lucic has hearing w/Brendan Shanahan tomorrow, but Zac Rinaldo tells Philly reporters hit was "clean" and looked worse than it was.
Well, that's very kind of Rinaldo. Perhaps he burned off his ill-will while he was caving in Horton's face?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 02:21 PM
  #474
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Well, that's very kind of Rinaldo. Perhaps he burned off his ill-will while he was caving in Horton's face?
League didn't agree with Rinaldo. Lucic suspended 1 game.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=383119

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.