HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Forsberg: Sweden didn't "try their hardest" against SVK in '06

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2011, 08:57 PM
UrsusArctos

vCash: 500
Slightly off topic but it all makes sense now. The canucks lead by the SEDINS intentionally threw the Finals against inferior Boston....for some reason.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:57 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Really? They lost on purpose? Pathetic and against everything the Olympics stands for.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:14 PM
XO
Valar Morghulis

at all fins judging Sweden in here. take a look at your own country first. Finland is for sure one of the biggest cheating nations through all times.

but oh well, I guess ending up behind their big brother all the time besides some fluke does that.. hehe

Old
12-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
Of course they played to win. But. They would rather risk a loss in a "meaningless" game than injuries. That's sport. If Barcelona wins 6-1 in their first game in a semifinal in the Champions League, it isn't that big of deal if they lose the second 2-0. Even though they will try to win, they rather not give up cards or injuries. It's logic.
Champions League and Olympic hockey are not comparable, though. Football WC and Olympic hockey, however, are a better comparison. Still, I see where you're going with that, and I don't necessarily disagree with you. However, losing on purpose or not, their display was very poor in that game and it was evident that they were not giving even 50%, let alone 100% in that game. And that, to me, is similar to throwing a game. It's not only shameful, it's very unfair towards the fans, like us lot. Like you and me, for example. And it's very disrespectful towards the opponent as well, when they try hard to win the game and then see that their opposition is basically mocking you.

To see Forsberg coming out like that and basically telling that to the face of the fans is disheartening. I'm not naive, far from it, but I would still like to believe that ice hockey, in essence, would ultimately be about competing as a team, to see which team is better. Not about politics, trickery and fraud.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Anchor Town

It's not poor sportsmanship, it's good gamesmanship.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo View Post
at all fins judging Sweden in here. take a look at your own country first. Finland is for sure one of the biggest cheating nations through all times.

but oh well, I guess ending up behind their big brother all the time besides some fluke does that.. hehe
It's funny when you laugh at "all the fins", when according to the survey in the article, currently 50% of the Finns say they agree that it was a good tactical move. And I also think it was the right way to go. Also people need to keep in mind that there's a difference between not trying your hardest in a meaningless game and losing a game on purpose.

But since you are obviously just trolling, I'm not commenting the rest of the crap in your post.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
I'm not naive, far from it, but I would still like to believe that ice hockey, in essence, would ultimately be about competing as a team, to see which team is better. Not about politics, trickery and fraud.
In sports, you fight to win the war not just a battle. And Sweden clearly won the war and they have the golden medals to prove that. I think you just don't know what 'naive' stands for and you need to stop whining and making the whole nation look like a bunch of crybabies.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Dusk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFan26 View Post
This. You play to win the game.
They won the the games that counted?

Old
12-18-2011, 09:46 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
They did win the game...of seeding...and apparently the gold as well so I can'[t really say what they did was dumb. SYstem needed to be changed clearly.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:47 PM
IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosing View Post

So if sweden is dodger, and the olympic gold is the sausages, guess who finland is?
If this is Finnish. I have to put the video for Swedish boys. People in Sweden don't know know what the fighting is and what means to give everything. They only try always go to easiest way. Just like Olympics.

The World in Flames 1

The World in Flames 2

Last edited by IFK: 12-18-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old
12-18-2011, 10:00 PM
joe89

Old
12-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Password

I don't care if it was us, San Marino, Algeria or USA you met in the Olympic final. Losing intentionally is just a pathetic thing to do. It's against all that sports is all about: Winning. You play EVERY game to WIN, whether it is Chess or Hockey. I wish all sports fans and athletes would think this way. Sadly they don't.

Old
12-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Password View Post
I don't care if it was us, San Marino, Algeria or USA you met in the Olympic final. Losing intentionally is just a pathetic thing to do. It's against all that sports is all about: Winning.
So you are saying Finland lost intentionally in the final?

Old
12-18-2011, 10:24 PM
StikTBo

I have to say, I love the rivalry between Finland and Sweden.

Old
12-18-2011, 11:42 PM
SurMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StikTBo View Post
I have to say, I love the rivalry between Finland and Sweden.
As you might have noticed, it's quite one-sided nowadays.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:17 AM
MMANumminen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaid View Post
What's the finnish way if you want to play that game; Lahtis?
I'm not playing games. That was the truth. And you are clearly ashamed of it.

Dunno what is lahtis but...

Finnish way of playin is to beat Sweden and take the gold.

For example, in the last WC final (Fin-Swe 6-1) Mikko Koivu said to swedish captain (I don't know his name) that if you score 2 goals we will start hitting you. Sweden looked really scared and lost on purpose. On the other hand, it was clever to avoid serious injuries because summer holidays were just about to start.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:26 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Yeah, I have absolutely no problem with this. Do what it takes to win gold. That's the goal.
Yup.

Besides, as bad as Canada was in 2006, did Sweden really choose the easier path?

Old
12-19-2011, 12:35 AM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Can't believe that was nearly 10 years ago.

I'd be very embarrassed if either Canada or the Leafs (insert obvious joke here) did something like that. It cheapens the tournament immensely.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:43 AM
DarkReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
I'd be very embarrassed if either Canada or the Leafs (insert obvious joke here) did something like that. It cheapens the tournament immensely.
Me? I wouldnt give a flying rat's *** so long as my team wins the Gold/Cup/Championship.

In 2009, the Wings played the Hawks in the WCFs. Wings are up 3-1 in the series. If they win Game 5, which iirc was on a Thursday, Game 1 of the SCFs would start on Saturday. If they lost, the schedule would have changed to allot time for both game 6 and 7. Game 1 of the SCFs wouldnt have started until 7 days later.

7 days for a beat up, older team that just had its captain lose a testicle (or whatever), Cleary a bum shoulder, etc, etc.

4 days of rest instead of 1 day of rest. If the Wings lose Game5, beat the Hawks in 6 (Chicago was not ready at the time), I feel they would have won the Cup back to back.

Instead, they beat the Hawks, go up 2-0 on the Pens and fall apart from injuries.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:08 AM
jbean

It has to be made clear that Sweden didn't try to throw the game, they just didn't play their hardest. There is a difference between intentionally trying to lose and only giving 70%. It's like a sprinter going all out in a race after he has already qualified -- that isn't "honorable" -- it's stupid. Usain Bolt saves his best for the races that matter the most. In a short tournament like that it makes perfect sense.

Given the situation this only makes sense, and those taking shots at the Swedes are overreacting.

It's like dressing you full veteran line up and taking every hit, blocking every shot, etc. in the last game of the season when you've already clinched the Presidents trophy. There were some older guys on that team and it only made sense.

Last edited by jbean: 12-19-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old
12-19-2011, 02:12 AM
jbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Password View Post
I don't care if it was us, San Marino, Algeria or USA you met in the Olympic final. Losing intentionally is just a pathetic thing to do. It's against all that sports is all about: Winning. You play EVERY game to WIN, whether it is Chess or Hockey. I wish all sports fans and athletes would think this way. Sadly they don't.
Are you in the tournament to win a battle or the war? Taking casualties in a pointless battle is pretty idiotic. And if you want to question Sweden's pride and will to win then you can look at the team that ended up winning the gold...

Sweden didn't entirely throw the game. They played sensibly given the circumstance.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:41 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

I totally called this 70 posts ago, then lampshaded it with around 40 in.

Get a grip, fellow Finns. Yes, you're sore about it. It's not like I am too. But behaving like this means that there're only load of Swedes out there reading this thread and smirking. You shouldn't be handing them that satisfaction, especially since the last iteration of this long-standing feud went to our side, even in a clear and decisive manner.

This is so much ado over nothing. Forsberg stated the obvious and that's all there is to it. Wailing how we would never have stooped so low won't change a thing. That game came and went. It's over. There's no force on this Earth that will bring us the gold (well, not unless you're a huge buff on quantum physics, alternative realities and that kind of stuff).

So seriously. Let's stop acting like we've got around ten pucks (five regular, five green ones), Zdeno Chara's stick and half the trophies Raimo Helminen has ever won stuffed into our backside cavities. It. Won't. Change. A. Thing.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:56 AM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

I'm so happy that I started this thread.

1) Everyone is telling me that it's old news... Impressive contribution to the thread, Sherlocks. Thread is about Forsberg saying it out loud.

2) One or two ******** Finns.

3) Thread full of people saying that everyone from Finland is ******** when most Finns are saying that Swede made the right decision or doesn't care.

I'm lovin' it!

Old
12-19-2011, 03:05 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
2) One or two ******** Finns.
More like eight to ten, depending on what you interpret as ******** behavior... so far more than what's required for critical mass with a topic like this.

But you're right. It IS also strangely entertaining. Like watching a traffic accident that involves a bus full of kids from the local kindergarten, an animal shelter van loaded with orphaned kitties and a truck delivering nuclear waste. Pass the popcorn?

Old
12-19-2011, 03:20 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonahan View Post
I find the rivalry between Sweden and Finland a lot more interesting than the debate over Canada and USA for some reason...

It's like they have legitimate hatred for each other.
It is hard to hate Canadians, you are just too damn polite. Besides most hockey fans in the states acknowledge the natural pecking order of things. We hope it will change, but deep down we know that is a big ask. I will say this the players have that hatred Backes and Jack Johnson have a big hatred for Canada.

To the point of this thread, doing it was probably the right thing, but saying it publicly when everyone already assumed that max effort was not given was a low blow. I don't care if it angers Finnish fans, but who should be really insulted is Slovakia and Switzerland. But in the end it is hard to argue with the results. Just glad it wasn't one of my favorite Swedish Wings providing this story.

Closed Thread