HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Nation reporting Predators scouting JVR and Read

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2011, 08:32 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

vCash: 500
Flyers Nation reporting Predators scouting JVR and Read

I would make this a rumor but my source is sketchy. Flyers Nation on Facebook is claiming that the Preds are scouting the two aforementioned players. They're usually spot on with their coverage, but suck at citing a source. If one pops up, I'll put it in here.

EDIT - Source: @ALLsportsINTEL - NHL UPDATE - Nashville Predators have recently begun scouting Philadelphia Flyers forwards James Van Riemsdyk and Matt Read.

Last edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot: 12-18-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old
12-18-2011, 08:52 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Source added.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:54 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

We better start scouting Ryan Suter and Shea Weber then

Old
12-18-2011, 08:54 PM
s3x

I'd part with them for Weber.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:58 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

@ ALLsportsINTEL

Quote:
NHL UPDATE - Predators, Capitals, Ducks, Blackhawks all recently sent scouts to Flyers games, popular targets Matt Read, James Van Riemsdyk
Can anyone vouch for them? Flyers Nation is usually really good with info, and this dude seems to be their key source.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Hell no to the Caps. We are about to share a conference with them, and what would they be trying to trade? Semin is my first guess, and screw THAT hairy noise.

12-18-2011, 09:08 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Hell no to the Caps. We are about to share a conference with them, and what would they be trying to trade? Semin is my first guess, and screw THAT hairy noise.
I doubt they'd go for that Zherdev+, especially since we're killer up front. I pray it's not for Green...

Old
12-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
I doubt they'd go for that Zherdev+, especially since we're killer up front. I pray it's not for Green...
Yeah, fixing our injury problems by trading for a constant injury problem would be less than ideal.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Amateur Hour

This is also from Flyers Nation...

"Rich Smith: Source close to situation says Philadelphia Flyers Claude Giroux likely to make his return in the Winter Classic."

Makes sense, for many reasons (like, say, building suspense during 24/7).

Old
12-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

JVR's next trade will be the last in which he's worth anything.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3x View Post
I'd part with them for Weber.
Meh, I don't know. We'd almost have to get a forward back, as well, I think. If we trade JVR and Read, we trade away a lot of depth up front, and since we can see the injuries can easily build up, this could leave severely strapped in the goal-scoring department. From what I read here, we don't really have prospects in Adirondack who are more than fourth-line grinders, whereas those two can clearly put up points and can play at least on the third line (I'd venture to say second for both, but alright).

Old
12-18-2011, 09:26 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
This is also from Flyers Nation...

"Rich Smith: Source close to situation says Philadelphia Flyers Claude Giroux likely to make his return in the Winter Classic."

Makes sense, for many reasons (like, say, building suspense during 24/7).
Yea I threw that in the Giroux injury thread. I'm wondering how accurate these guys are.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:37 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'm not sure how I'd feel about dealing JVR. It would be hard to argue if they get Weber in return though. I wasn't high on JVR when they drafted, and even less high after I saw him play at first. But I came around on him last year and liked the way he has played this year. Matt Read is awesome, but I would not blink an eye trading him to get Weber. I think they would have to make other moves at some point or be getting Weber + (which I can't see happening) because there would be a serious void on offense. I like these rookies, but I'm not about to try and make a cup run with a bottom 6 filled with 5 rookies or Jody Shelley every day. Stupid concussions...

Old
12-18-2011, 09:39 PM
JoeFlyer

Seems odd that Read has value, he's only ever played 28 NHL games... I mean he's good and I believe he was fairly highly sort after before we got him but still... I'd also keep him just because he has a 3 year deal on $900k, the way we operate with cap he's an absolute steal...

I like JVR and think he'll turn out well in the end but I get the feeling he might be one of those players who needs to be traded to really kick on. Or he might just need more time to develop but, either way, if the return is good I'd put him on the block.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlyer View Post
Seems odd that Read has value, he's only ever played 28 NHL games... I mean he's good and I believe he was fairly highly sort after before we got him but still... I'd also keep him just because he has a 3 year deal on $900k, the way we operate with cap he's an absolute steal...

I like JVR and think he'll turn out well in the end but I get the feeling he might be one of those players who needs to be traded to really kick on. Or he might just need more time to develop but, either way, if the return is good I'd put him on the block.
Likely one of the biggest reasons why Nashville wants him.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Bort Sampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyrock View Post
JVR's next trade will be the last in which he's worth anything.
I actually get the same feeling.

If JvR is the main asset going to Nashville for either of these guys, I think the Flyers get the deal done.

I think the Preds want more than one roster player, though, and I don't know if the Flyers are willing to give up a center (Read) with Giroux still out indefinitely.

If it's Carle going with him, I wouldn't think twice about it, as both of their salaries would essentially pay for a consistent, proven NHL defenseman (4.25 for JvR+whatever someone overpays for Carle).

Last edited by Bort Sampson: 12-18-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old
12-18-2011, 09:51 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

We can't trade off another long contract. We just can't

Old
12-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Unstable

They can have JVR, as for as I'm concerned. Read, I dunno. Kid has upside. Dunno how much, too early. But he's playing a lot for us right now.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:54 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm not sure how I'd feel about dealing JVR. It would be hard to argue if they get Weber in return though. I wasn't high on JVR when they drafted, and even less high after I saw him play at first. But I came around on him last year and liked the way he has played this year. Matt Read is awesome, but I would not blink an eye trading him to get Weber. I think they would have to make other moves at some point or be getting Weber + (which I can't see happening) because there would be a serious void on offense. I like these rookies, but I'm not about to try and make a cup run with a bottom 6 filled with 5 rookies or Jody Shelley every day. Stupid concussions...
Even without an injury depleated team we could be skating with Schenn, Read, Couturier, Rinaldo and Zolnierczyk (yeah, I had to look spelling that up ) so there are gonna be rookies around, it's just having the good ones available. With the the rest of the forwards who can probably (or do) play top 6 being JVR, Simmonds, Voracek, Jagr, Briere and Hartnell I think we have enough to sacrifice and still have a good 3rd line (not mentioned Talbot yet)... 4th line might be a bit ropey though...

I like JVR but I think for the right guy coming in he's expendable, same goes for Schenn, Coburn, Meszaros and Carle (obviously not all in any potential deal, just all tradeable)...

Old
12-18-2011, 09:55 PM
s3x

See, contrary to most, I supported JVR completely through his transition phase in his first two years when everyone wanted him gone. I saw a skill set, speed, and size that would make him a very valuable player in the NHL. He finally started to put it together at the end of the 09-10 season with he help of Richards and Giroux and played very well in 10-11. I gave him a pass through 20 games this year with a very new lineup. But now I am done.

He has regressed. He stays along the perimeter, attempts to beat players one on one with no vision for his line mates, all while taking bad angle wristers. He doesn't go to the front of the net when he needs to. He still has the speed, size, and skills but he is going back to how he played much of college -- as a one man line.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
This is a good point.

Also, I think we can likely forget about Weber being involved.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Likely one of the biggest reasons why Nashville wants him.
If the addition of Matt Read in our offering helps get the deal get done in any significant way, the Flyers must pull the trigger.

It's an extreme long shot that Read maintains this level of play through a significant stretch of his career. Trading Read while his yield is high is just a smart gamble.

Old
12-18-2011, 10:03 PM
brucewaynegretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
They can have JVR, as for as I'm concerned. Read, I dunno. Kid has upside. Dunno how much, too early. But he's playing a lot for us right now.
This is the most backwards thing I've ever read... JVR gets better and bigger every year and is still young. Read is 25. He is never going to significantly improve whatever numbers he gets this year.

I wouldn't mind parting with either of them if Weber or Suter were involved, but it would certainly have to be the right deal. JVR and Read for either one seems like a somewhat odd. If it is those two and a first I might be more upset. That could be an overpayment since we have to resign either one in just over a year.

Old
12-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Its really frustrating looking at all the guys drafted second in the last few years knowing that JVR hasn't lived up to any of them. Only one close at this point is Hedman but he would easily be our 3rd best d-men with potential t be better than Kimmo at his best and a true #1 D. We picked the wrong year to tank.

Old
12-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
Why not? Afraid players will never sign long-term with us again? No one is untouchable, regardless of their contract, except for Giroux. That's the brutal reality, and these are the kind of difficult decisions that must be made in order to make the team the best it can be.

Closed Thread