HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread (Part Nine)

View Poll Results: Sign him or not
Try-out contract 7 31.82%
1 year contract 9 40.91%
Just no !!!!!!!!!!!!! 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2011, 01:33 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Ryan Suter is going to end up in St Louis or Philadelphia, either at the deadline or in Free Agency....

Both teams could move serious pieces for him, and both could offer him a boat load of cash....

Imagine Suter with Pietrangelo.

About that MTL offer....they would have to take more than picks. I'd rather have Moen alone for a 3rd, but if they wanted to assure themselves of having a signed blueliner next year while trading Gill, a move like Alberts+3rd+4th for Moen and Gill. Still not sure MTL will be a seller. Should they be? Hell yes, they should start by turfing their inept GM, but thats a whole other discussion.

Moen is exactly what this team needs.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:35 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Our 3rd round pick in 2013. (which we traded for Higgins last trade deadline).

Our 3rd rounder 2012 was traded to Anaheim for Lapierre last season.
Two pretty fantastic deals no? Gillis deals.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:37 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Ryan Suter is going to end up in St Louis or Philadelphia, either at the deadline or in Free Agency....

Both teams could move serious pieces for him, and both could offer him a boat load of cash....

Imagine Suter with Pietrangelo.

About that MTL offer....they would have to take more than picks. I'd rather have Moen alone for a 3rd, but if they wanted to assure themselves of having a signed blueliner next year while trading Gill, a move like Alberts+3rd+4th for Moen and Gill. Still not sure MTL will be a seller. Should they be? Hell yes, they should start by turfing their inept GM, but thats a whole other discussion.

Moen is exactly what this team needs.
That would be FANTASTIC, expect Gillis would want to keep that 2013 3rd for pressure to offer sheet. I wonder if we have any other teams picks floating around.. doubt it.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Bleach Clean

It all hinges on Ballard. People have remarked that the D still needs additions. Well, nothing is happening unless Ballard's contract is first moved. That's where it starts. If he is moved, then VAN can talk about adding bigger pieces. If he isn't then changes are very unlikely.

Without Ballard moving, they pick up a depth forward at the deadline via minor trade or waivers.

With him moving, the stage is set for bigger changes to the D and/or forwards (D changes being more likely).

Old
12-18-2011, 01:56 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Yeah no. Our fans continue to think Nashville is willing to get fleeced, by us in particular too.
I wrote at the start my proposal wasn't plausible.

I was throwing it prospect names in hopes that I forgot someone. I guess not.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:57 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
That would be FANTASTIC, expect Gillis would want to keep that 2013 3rd for pressure to offer sheet. I wonder if we have any other teams picks floating around.. doubt it.
Okay make it 2014 3rd.

Old
12-18-2011, 02:31 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
It all hinges on Ballard. People have remarked that the D still needs additions. Well, nothing is happening unless Ballard's contract is first moved. That's where it starts. If he is moved, then VAN can talk about adding bigger pieces. If he isn't then changes are very unlikely.

Without Ballard moving, they pick up a depth forward at the deadline via minor trade or waivers.

With him moving, the stage is set for bigger changes to the D and/or forwards (D changes being more likely).
The MTL Kaberle deal showed Ballard is movable IMO. In fact, any team facing the real potential of losing their top two d-men would naturally be quite interested in him I would think.

12-18-2011, 04:22 PM
YogiCanucks

Cody Franson looks like he could fit the bill. He's big (not very tough but enough), can move the puck pretty well (so he fits our system) and can play on the PP. He defense is a bit suspect but you have to expect that with any young player or any bottom pairing player.

Unfortunately he's in the hands of Burkie who overvalues his own players more than HFBoard fans do (though credit to him, he fools a lot of other GMs into buying in and making bad trades).

EDIT: also a R hander.

If we're going after BC Born defencemen that played for the Giants we might as well pick up Festerling. Couldn't hurt but he'd be far down the depth chart.

Old
12-18-2011, 07:07 PM
I in the Eye

Taylor Pyatt to play with Malhotra and Lapierre on the 4th line...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Higgins
Raymond - Hodgson - Hansen
Malhotra - Lapierre - Pyatt
Weise

Plus another dman who's an UFA at the end of the year...

Edler - Salo
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - ?

Rome
Alberts

Old
12-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
We have the Isles 4th this year from Hoffa trade, which is basically a late 3rd

Old
12-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 1308
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
I'd like to see a Gorges/Gleason type addition for the 3rd pair. Someone who can step in for one of the Top 4 if/when injuries happen. Losing Hamhuis in game 1 of the finals killed us last year because we didn't have a suitable replacement for what he does. We need one of those glue type defenseman that can calm things down and do all the little things well.

Old
12-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Anzes Eyes
5th line centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I just don't see us having the assets to get weber. We don't have that young dynamic scorer they'd be after. Raymond is the closest we have. Raymond, Hodgson, 1st, 2nd for Weber... Maybe?
Raymond and/or Hansen, Ballard, Tanev, 1st and 2nd.

Still not enough?

Old
12-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonavision View Post

Still not enough?
That isn't nearly enough.

Value wise, it would probably cost us Edler and Hodgson (and maybe more).
Raymond, Ballard, Tanev, and two draft picks which will be towards the end of each round doesn't equal Edler and Hodgson.

Old
12-18-2011, 07:47 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonavision View Post

Still not enough?
If Weber's agent, Jarrett Bousquet (also Josh Gorges' agent) lets it be known Shea only wants VAN, the price would be more reasonable. In other words, the "and" in your proposal would be unnecessary IMO, meaning the "or" would suffice.

Some other variations could be:
Hodgson + Ballard + 1st x 2
Hodgson + Ballard + Nicklas Jensen + 1st

Old
12-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Anzes Eyes
5th line centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
That isn't nearly enough.

Value wise, it would probably cost us Edler and Hodgson (and maybe more).
Raymond, Ballard, Tanev, and two draft picks which will be towards the end of each round doesn't equal Edler and Hodgson.
I definitely agree with you. My presuppositions are: Shea wants out and Poile thus gets lower offers. Secondly, Shea does want to come to Vancouver for his current cap hit. Thirdly, Ballard is increasing his value.

Question is: who else is bidding and what are they offering?

Old
12-18-2011, 08:13 PM
thepuckmonster
on the decline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
If Weber's agent, Jarrett Bousquet (also Josh Gorges' agent) lets it be known Shea only wants VAN, the price would be more reasonable. In other words, the "and" in your proposal would be unnecessary IMO, meaning the "or" would suffice.

I'd be pretty hesitant on giving up Jensen, he's one of our very few talented prospects.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Anzes Eyes
5th line centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
I'd be pretty hesitant on giving up Jensen, he's one of our very few talented prospects.
For a defenseman this good I'd jump at both of those but prefer two firsts because with Shae those should be some late picks.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:35 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post

Hold on just one minute here.

Weber has absolutely no say in where he is traded. He isn't even eligible for an NTC/NMC until after next season when he reaches UFA age.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:38 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Hold on just one minute here.

Weber has absolutely no say in where he is traded. He isn't even eligible for an NTC/NMC until after next season when he reaches UFA age.
I think his point was that if Weber made it known that he'll only sign a long-term deal in Vancouver, his value will be limited... how many teams are going to gut their team for a guy who'll only sign for 1 year and go to FA?

I doubt that this happens though... it's a pipedream really that he leverages his contract and UFA status just so he can play in Vancouver... as much as I'd love to have Weber here, I don't see it happening.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Can we just wait until the coming off season to sign Weber as an UFA? I think most of our key guys will still be intact then, should give us our most stacked team next year if we can just acquire Weber via FA.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Scurr

I think people are underestimating what trading guys like Raymond, Hodgson and Hansen would mean. Weber is a great player but I doubt Gillis guts the team to get him.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:06 PM
thepuckmonster
on the decline

I would assume that if the proverbial situation of Weber making it known he only will sign a long-term deal in Vancouver happens, I think it would be more like a Kessel-esque trade involving a bunch of first rounders. Probably a good prospect, but Nashville's drafting is impressive and if they're going to lose Weber they can find an impact player in the draft.

Something like Schroeder + 2 1sts and a 2nd leaves them a lot of cap room to heavily pursue some dynamic FAs like Parise. I don't think Poile is going to want 3 contracts coming back. We'd have to find the space for him ourselves but it could be done.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:27 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Can we just wait until the coming off season to sign Weber as an UFA? I think most of our key guys will still be intact then, should give us our most stacked team next year if we can just acquire Weber via FA.
Weber isn't UFA until after next season so unless we offer sheet and they don't match or we trade for him, won't have a sniff for 1.5 more seasons.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:35 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Weber isn't UFA until after next season so unless we offer sheet and they don't match or we trade for him, won't have a sniff for 1.5 more seasons.
Its widely believed (on this board anyway) that the re-acquisition of our 2013 3rd round pick in the David Booth trade was to gain leverage in the dealings with RFA's, namely Shea Weber.

We arent getting him before the draft.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:43 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

If the Canucks want Weber, the best thing to do is offer sheet him.

He may even take a bit of a discount doing it, and it would still put the Preds in a tough situation. Offer him a 1yr deal. If the Preds match, they can't deal him and he walks as a UFA after the season... so chances are that the Preds would likely not match even a low offer for 1 yr... if they do, they won't even get a 2nd/3rd round pick for his UFA rights, as he couldn't get traded.

If Weber really wants to come to Vancouver, that is probably the best way to do it for the Canucks...

Closed Thread