HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jacques Martin Appreciation Thread

Old
12-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I and the Habs will miss you Jacques!

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 05:17 PM
TinordiandSubban

I like watching Jacques Martin's Habs, they worked hard for each other and were tough to beat. Boring hockey? I live in Toronto, I know boring hockey.

Didn't like the decision and hate the timing, stinks of a hidden agenda.

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 05:18 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Does "i appreciate JM being fired count in this thread" ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 05:19 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Was my favourite Habs coach I ever got the pleasure of watching in a mature state.

I just hope the coach they hire in replacement is as good as he is.
Why set the bar so low?

Good luck to you Jacques buddy. I hope you get a job somewhere very quickly as long as it is not in Montreal and is not associated with the Canadiens.

Merry Christmas!!

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I won't give Martin credit for much, if anything. He had a losing record while he was here so it couldn't have been THAT hard to play against us.

Sorry, but you are passing out accolades where none are due. Have you talked to ANYONE that has played for Martin in the past. He was stubborn, uncommunicative, unwilling to adapt, threw young players under the bus and that is only the start of the list.

He built his reputation on the back of an unbelievably talented team in Ottawa and a fluke playoff run on the back of Halak in Montreal. The second he walked in, we had a completely different lineup than we had before. You are comparing the play of two completely different rosters.

You make him take no responsibility for any of the team's failures and heap praise on him for the sliver of success that we had. He had to be at least partially responsible for where the team stand now, no?

And Darche last night? Take a look at the lineup. Who else was available?

You seem to have a blind obsession with Martin. And because posters disagree with you, they are morons?? I honestly can't figure out where you are coming from and it seems you are hoping for the team to fail to justify your position.

It's done. Martin is not the coach and I am moving on... happily, because what we were doing wasn't working.
Well for starters he had a winning record. Jacques Martin-------------196-96-75-25

Second. The team is not as good as people think. We don't attract the best players here and we have to overpay for decent ones. We certainly cannot play a wide open back and forth game against the top teams in this league hoping to win consistently.

We were one of the teams if not THE team that gave the Bruins the hardest time in the East and we don't have any superstars. Think about that.

Third, we go through coaches like a schoolgirl goes through pairs of shoes . Aren't you tired of the same cycle? Did you enjoy watching Julien hoist the Cup? Do you realize there is a very good chance that we'll see Martin do the same somewhere else? Personally that makes me want to puke.

Fourth, JM brought experience and was able to not fold and freak out under the media pressure. He wasn't too high on wins and too low on losses. That is what this city needs. Not a Patrick Roy who will end up getting pissed off at a guy like Price and run him out of town.

Fifth, are you enjoying the whole he has to speak French bs? Does PG even have a replacement? Did he think he'd get away with an English coach?

We were turning things around, the PP was coming along. Our stats in all other areas were fine and now the ****ing entire act has turned into a circus sideshow.

I am seriously hoping I'm wrong and if I am then great. But I have a feeling we are going to go into a tail spin now and miss the playoffs. I am sick of this ******** of going through coaches every 2 years. All I want is a bit of stability and credibility and I thought JM brought that.

And lastly It's not that I have a fixation on JM. It's that He was the perfect coach for this team.

Last edited by Jigger77: 12-18-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 07:45 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Good chance that Martin will win a cup somewhere else?

He had one of the best teams in the league for years and couldn't even get to the Cup Finals. I'm pretty sure that I can sleep at night like a baby knowing he will not go ANYWHERE near the Stanley Cup.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 07:51 AM
TheBuriedHab

Did anyone actually enjoy watching this team when he was coach? We can all appreciate the work he put in but honestly did anyone have fun watching this team? BOOORRRINNNNGGGG. Cya Jacko

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 08:26 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Did anyone actually enjoy watching this team when he was coach? We can all appreciate the work he put in but honestly did anyone have fun watching this team? BOOORRRINNNNGGGG. Cya Jacko
I did. Sure his style was "boring" but I appreciated what he did. I'm not sure what happened this year because when you compare last year's roster including injuries this team should be doing better than last year's.

The only thing I can think of that has happened based on what I've been reading is that some players decided to stray away from something that was successful last year despite the injuries. And to complicate things the D had too many question marks but still had some good pieces (Gorges and a more experienced Subban) in place that were not there last year.

I really sense that Cammalleri is a bad apple at this point. I can remember an analyst's (Pierre McGuire ?) comments that implied he is NOT a leader and selfish. Seems it could be true. IDK

But to answer the question, yes I truly did enjoy watching the Habs with Martin as coach. In all due respect to the man I always thought he just tried to do what was best for the personnel he had on the roster. I mean how many games in three years (including playoffs) did he have Andrei Markov available to him. And then day after day he had to answer the same question over and over and over.

Sure he wasn't the perfect coach but where is that guy? I wish JM well.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 08:35 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Well for starters he had a winning record. Jacques Martin-------------196-96-75-25

Second. The team is not as good as people think. We don't attract the best players here and we have to overpay for decent ones. We certainly cannot play a wide open back and forth game against the top teams in this league hoping to win consistently.

We were one of the teams if not THE team that gave the Bruins the hardest time in the East and we don't have any superstars. Think about that.

Third, we go through coaches like a schoolgirl goes through pairs of shoes . Aren't you tired of the same cycle? Did you enjoy watching Julien hoist the Cup? Do you realize there is a very good chance that we'll see Martin do the same somewhere else? Personally that makes me want to puke.

Fourth, JM brought experience and was able to not fold and freak out under the media pressure. He wasn't too high on wins and too low on losses. That is what this city needs. Not a Patrick Roy who will end up getting pissed off at a guy like Price and run him out of town.

Fifth, are you enjoying the whole he has to speak French bs? Does PG even have a replacement? Did he think he'd get away with an English coach?

We were turning things around, the PP was coming along. Our stats in all other areas were fine and now the ****ing entire act has turned into a circus sideshow.

I am seriously hoping I'm wrong and if I am then great. But I have a feeling we are going to go into a tail spin now and miss the playoffs. I am sick of this ******** of going through coaches every 2 years. All I want is a bit of stability and credibility and I thought JM brought that.

And lastly It's not that I have a fixation on JM. It's that He was the perfect coach for this team.

Retirement would be a smart option for him.

If by the very slim chance he gets to coach again, it will be in a city like Columbus. Only because Molson will have to dish out so much $ ( thanks to PG ) for him that Columbus could offer him a small contract.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 08:40 AM
HCH

Quote:
That is 96 wins and 100 losses

Quote:

Second. The team is not as good as people think.
Agree, 100%

Quote:
We need to be successful against more than just the Bruins.

Quote:

Third, we go through coaches like a schoolgirl goes through pairs of shoes . Aren't you tired of the same cycle?
Yes, I am. I never thought Julien should have been fired.

Quote:
Fourth, JM brought experience and was able to not fold and freak out under the media pressure. He wasn't too high on wins and too low on losses. That is what this city needs.
Here I disagree. While the team doesn't need a loose cannon, exhibiting a little passion now and then wouldn't be a bad thing.

Quote:
Nope, I don't like language or culture being brought into the decision. It is unfortunate that it is the way it is.

Quote:

Our stats in all other areas were fine and now the ****ing entire act has turned into a circus sideshow.
Again I disagree. There are a lot of stats on this team that aren't very good and it is the WAY the team played the game that had so many frustrated.

Quote:

He was the perfect coach for this team.
We might miss the playoffs and Cunneyworth may not be the long term answer but what we were doing was obviously not working. If stability means squeaking intot the playoffs on the last day of the season and hoping for upsets, then I would like to see some change.

I want stability too, but not consistently finishing in 7th, 8th or 9th every year. While Martin may have had great 'systems' and kept his cool, on the other side of the coin I think he was a poor communicator and misused his talent. He had two sets of rules and by some of the comments made by the players, it is apparent that not all the players were on the same page.

I think Cunneyworth deserves a chance to show what he can do. He has paid his dues as both a player and a coach, he has a great work ethic and seems like he is going to demand accountability. If it is a gong show I will be among the first to call for a replacement. Let's not pre-judge the guy in either a positive or negative light.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
That is 96 wins and 100 losses

Agree, 100%

We need to be successful against more than just the Bruins.

Yes, I am. I never thought Julien should have been fired.

Here I disagree. While the team doesn't need a loose cannon, exhibiting a little passion now and then wouldn't be a bad thing.

Nope, I don't like language or culture being brought into the decision. It is unfortunate that it is the way it is.

Again I disagree. There are a lot of stats on this team that aren't very good and it is the WAY the team played the game that had so many frustrated.

We might miss the playoffs and Cunneyworth may not be the long term answer but what we were doing was obviously not working. If stability means squeaking intot the playoffs on the last day of the season and hoping for upsets, then I would like to see some change.

I want stability too, but not consistently finishing in 7th, 8th or 9th every year. While Martin may have had great 'systems' and kept his cool, on the other side of the coin I think he was a poor communicator and misused his talent. He had two sets of rules and by some of the comments made by the players, it is apparent that not all the players were on the same page.

I think Cunneyworth deserves a chance to show what he can do. He has paid his dues as both a player and a coach, he has a great work ethic and seems like he is going to demand accountability. If it is a gong show I will be among the first to call for a replacement. Let's not pre-judge the guy in either a positive or negative light.
Yeah I guess depends how you look at the OT losses. They are losses but worth 25 points. Anyway at this point there's no point arguing about it. And although I like defensive hockey and enjoyed JM's style of play I can respect how others wouldn't. I hope Cunneyworth ends up being the coach who finally is good enough for the media and fans of this town.

Old
12-19-2011, 08:55 AM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
I did. Sure his style was "boring" but I appreciated what he did. I'm not sure what happened this year because when you compare last year's roster including injuries this team should be doing better than last year's.

The only thing I can think of that has happened based on what I've been reading is that some players decided to stray away from something that was successful last year despite the injuries. And to complicate things the D had too many question marks but still had some good pieces (Gorges and a more experienced Subban) in place that were not there last year.

I really sense that Cammalleri is a bad apple at this point. I can remember an analyst's (Pierre McGuire ?) comments that implied he is NOT a leader and selfish. Seems it could be true. IDK

But to answer the question, yes I truly did enjoy watching the Habs with Martin as coach. In all due respect to the man I always thought he just tried to do what was best for the personnel he had on the roster. I mean how many games in three years (including playoffs) did he have Andrei Markov available to him. And then day after day he had to answer the same question over and over and over.

Sure he wasn't the perfect coach but where is that guy? I wish JM well.
I guess different strokes then. I don't know, but I just have been disinterested in the habs games this year. Long periods in games of lack of flow and intensity. Just not getting the entertainment value that ive come to expect from the habs. Add to that the reports of more empty seats than ever in the stands I think ownership wanted a change of play style as well. Like I said, I appreciate the effort JM puts in but for me and others the habs game have become boring to watch. On some nights I watch the leafs games more than the habs games because they play a more fun and up tempo style.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:42 AM
HCH

Quote:
Yeah I guess depends how you look at the OT losses. They are losses but worth 25 points. Anyway at this point there's no point arguing about it. And although I like defensive hockey and enjoyed JM's style of play I can respect how others wouldn't. I hope Cunneyworth ends up being the coach who finally is good enough for the media and fans of this town.
I think we are all frustrated by the team's lack of success over the past 15 years or so and we search for solutions in our own minds. The solutions we come up with are different but the ultimate goal is the same and everyone should remember that... including me.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
I think we are all frustrated by the team's lack of success over the past 15 years or so and we search for solutions in our own minds. The solutions we come up with are different but the ultimate goal is the same and everyone should remember that... including me.
It's the timing that was stupid in my opinion. They were turning things around. Had a point in each of their games in December except for the one they got shafted by Chris Lee. They were pretty much in the playoff picture despite being the team that led the league in man-games lost to injury and icing a very very questionable defense which was also getting better and better. They were near the top of the league on the pk, blocked shots, solid 5 on 5 and the PP was finally showing good signs. They weren't quite where they wanted to be but I mean, a stronger PP early on and a few more wins in shootouts and they are a 4th or 5th place team. Right up there. Now they sent the message to fans and the rest of the league that the team is in shambles and has no idea where it's going. And I'm sorry but "the games were boring" is not a good argument, at least not in my view. The idea is to win in the NHL and no we weren't winning majority of games but not losing either. We were certainly not at the point of blowing it up like this. It screams panic move or personal move. (as in PG butted heads with JM).

Why not wait to see what they look like healthy? Why not wait until the summer to do this?

Now we have people boycotting Molson products, another freaking language debate over a hockey team, no idea who the replacement will be...Just a zoo, a mess.

I'm sick of this crap.

Last edited by Jigger77: 12-19-2011 at 10:26 AM.