HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/17 (post game) Irwin assigned to Worcester

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-18-2011, 01:22 AM
  #1
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 56,139
vCash: 500
12/17 (post game) Irwin assigned to Worcester

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=607115

Guess that means one of Vandermeer or Murray is healthy enough to be a "standby" for defense on Wednesday.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:31 AM
  #2
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!
 
Spacemania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Signpost Forest, YT
Country: United Nations
Posts: 28,280
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
cue KM's tantrum in 3... 2... 1...

Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 05:26 AM
  #3
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,517
vCash: 500
I'm a little pissed he didn't get into a game...with all the special teams issues SJ has I thought for sure he'd get a look.

The kid deserves a real shot at some point.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 05:39 AM
  #4
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
I'm a little pissed he didn't get into a game...with all the special teams issues SJ has I thought for sure he'd get a look.

The kid deserves a real shot at some point.
Then again, would success or struggle in SJ make it more likely for a callup to get a shot? If they had a comfortable division lead maybe they would feel better about giving him a look-see.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 05:55 AM
  #5
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
Then again, would success or struggle in SJ make it more likely for a callup to get a shot? If they had a comfortable division lead maybe they would feel better about giving him a look-see.
Teams that are struggling often call up players to get a shot in the arm...well, if they have anyone worth calling up that is. On defense they certainly have a few guys that fit the bill.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:18 AM
  #6
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Teams that are struggling often call up players to get a shot in the arm...well, if they have anyone worth calling up that is. On defense they certainly have a few guys that fit the bill.
Do contenders do this, particularly ones on the bubble? Keeping in mind that we would be replacing a veteran like White or Vandermeer (were he active), I think Braun is here for good.

To say nothing of the fact that it's not our defense that needed the shot in the arm. Ultimately messing with one of the few areas that really wasn't a problem would be too risky of a move, lest it become a problem, as it would be prone to with a green player coming in.

I have not seen callups used in this manner in the Tmac era, as far as I can remember.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:46 AM
  #7
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
Do contenders do this, particularly ones on the bubble? Keeping in mind that we would be replacing a veteran like White or Vandermeer (were he active), I think Braun is here for good.

To say nothing of the fact that it's not our defense that needed the shot in the arm. Ultimately messing with one of the few areas that really wasn't a problem would be too risky of a move, lest it become a problem, as it would be prone to with a green player coming in.

I have not seen callups used in this manner in the Tmac era, as far as I can remember.
The Sharks don't generally do it, but lots of teams do. Not sure if that's due to a philosophy thing or the fact SJ has been up against the cap lately and simply couldn't afford to do it.

The energy a newly recalled player brings if often enough to get the "regulars" going. Despite his ever growing upside on offense Irwin wouldn't kill the team defensively (he's underrated in his own zone IMO). And we're not talking about a permanent recall here, we're talking about a game or two...

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:38 AM
  #8
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,627
vCash: 500
Honestly, he couldn't have screwed up more than White anyway, and is certainly more likely to put ups points. I would have given him a cup off coffee game at least.

He'll get it at some point.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:41 AM
  #9
stalockrox
Registered User
 
stalockrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
The Sharks don't generally do it, but lots of teams do. Not sure if that's due to a philosophy thing or the fact SJ has been up against the cap lately and simply couldn't afford to do it.

The energy a newly recalled player brings if often enough to get the "regulars" going. Despite his ever growing upside on offense Irwin wouldn't kill the team defensively (he's underrated in his own zone IMO). And we're not talking about a permanent recall here, we're talking about a game or two...
I think the past few seasons it was because the Sharks were up against the Cap.

I really wanted to see him get into a game, and especially wanted to see him play next to Braun but I understand why he didn't. I know White isn't overly physical (and nobody likes him) but taking him out of the line up would remove a lot of size from the blue line and he's been playing better lately.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:29 AM
  #10
sjshark91
Registered User
 
sjshark91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 23,780
vCash: 2810
Three days off, he might get recalled if White is out for a while.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:11 PM
  #11
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,562
vCash: 500
Lame. But with Worcester doing well, he can rack up points like he's Bobby mother****ing Orr.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:33 PM
  #12
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Lame. But with Worcester doing well, he can rack up points like he's Bobby mother****ing Orr.
Bad turnover lead to Manchester's 1st goal...

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:34 PM
  #13
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Bad turnover lead to Manchester's 1st goal...
Orr's bread and butter was offense. Relax. He's rusty. I blame Nitty.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:40 PM
  #14
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Orr's bread and butter was offense. Relax. He's rusty. I blame Nitty.
Orr's bread and butter was he was the best player on the ice

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:12 PM
  #15
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
The Sharks don't generally do it, but lots of teams do. Not sure if that's due to a philosophy thing or the fact SJ has been up against the cap lately and simply couldn't afford to do it.

The energy a newly recalled player brings if often enough to get the "regulars" going. Despite his ever growing upside on offense Irwin wouldn't kill the team defensively (he's underrated in his own zone IMO). And we're not talking about a permanent recall here, we're talking about a game or two...
A game or two, but imagine if those last two were losses ... everyone would be like



There was a little more at stake with these otherwise inconsequential midseason games due to the slump.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:38 PM
  #16
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!
 
Spacemania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Signpost Forest, YT
Country: United Nations
Posts: 28,280
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Orr's bread and butter was offense. Relax. He's rusty. I blame Nitty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Orr's bread and butter was he was the best player on the ice
Orr's bread was so good he didn't even need butter

Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.