HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Seabrook - Possible Concussion

Old
12-18-2011, 07:13 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

vCash: 500
Seabrook - Possible Concussion

I'm a bit nervous about this one with everything going on in the league. Did not return to the game with upper body injury. A few posters seem to think he was knocked out.

How many concussions is this for Seabrook now?

HawksFan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:15 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
He was blinking and moving his eyes. He may have been dazed, but he certainly wasn't knocked out.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

The fact that he didn't come back means little. Guys like Crosby and Perron came back after passing concussion tests immediately after their hits, and ended up out for huge amounts of time.

The minute Seabrook was hit in the head, he was never going to come back in the game - even if he did manage to pass the tests administered.

Hopefully Seabs is okay. When it comes to concussions, you worry less about the effect on the team's success as you do the player's health.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:46 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

I am so fed up with concussions. Either let the players play through it, or take out hitting.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:55 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I am so fed up with concussions. Either let the players play through it, or take out hitting.
Absolute lunacy. Nobody can or should play through a concussion. League has taken steps to reduce the number of them and taken steps to make sure people aren't playing through them.

I've suffered a number of concussions. Ended my career combined with a bum knee.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:57 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Come on dude. It is getting really frustrating this year though with the shear amount of them.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:34 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

It's like Brooks Laich said, they're getting babied by the league. NHL and NFL players have been playing through concussions since the sports were created. All I'm saying is that if you have a tough guy, like Seabrook, who's willing to playing through a little headache, I don't get why he shouldn't be able too.

You will always have concussions in hockey. It's unavoidable. The players are too strong and too fast, reducing the size of elbow/shoulder pads aren't going to take concussions out of the game and league has resisted making the rinks bigger before. It's going to get to a point where there is no hitting in the game because a guy wakes up with a headache after a tough game and gets diagnosed with "concussion-like" symptoms.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:42 PM
MagicSlap*

Yes, you will always have concussions but that doesn't mean that when they occur you sohuldn't deal with them like they are a very serious issue. "Tough" guys may be tough physically but that doesn't mean they are "tough" enough to play through a brain injury. It amazes me that people don't realize how serious concussions are. Chris Pronger is a tough guy and is, at the moment, going through prolonged periods of vomiting, loss of short term memory and lack of awareness for where he is at. Do you suggest that if he can pull it together for 60 minutes that he go out and play hockey? Just look at the amount of retired athletes playing contact sports that have serious brain trauma late in their lives.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:46 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Well then, take hitting out of the game. I'm sick and tired with important players being out of the line-up for prolonged stretches because of concussions. If you're not going to let the player have any say in whether he'll play or not, take hitting out of the game. There is no alternative. NHL players have suffered through numerous concussions before even making it to the NHL, and seeing as how each concussion seemgingly gets worse and causes more damage, for the players sake, you mine aswell remove hitting.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:53 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

I'll say it again. I think Seabs is going to be okay. He'll miss probably a week. The hit against wiz was worse imo, and he was back in the next few games.

BBSeabs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:56 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSeabs27 View Post
I'll say it again. I think Seabs is going to be okay. He'll miss probably a week. The hit against wiz was worse imo, and he was back in the next few games.
People said the same thing about Crosby after the Hedman hit.

This is his third concussion in a relatively short period, two of those were really bad hits. I could easily see him being out for a month, two, four. Who knows? It's retarded.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:57 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

P.S, I know my opinion isn't a popular one. I'm just really frustrated with star and important players dropping like flies and seemingly nothing can be done about it.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:00 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

Quote:
People said the same thing about Crosby after the Hedman hit.

This is his third concussion in a relatively short period, two of those were really bad hits. I could easily see him being out for a month, two, four. Who knows? It's retarded.
You're comparing Sidney who is 5'11 to seabrook who is 6'4....seabrook has been fine in his past concussions. Sidney obviously is going to be one of those players who cant handle concussions. The hit wasnt at a high speed, and according to jesse rogers "Q said same bout Seabrook. Hopeful for next game so doesn't sound real bad at all"

BBSeabs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:02 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
You're comparing Sidney who is 5'11 to seabrook who is 6'4....seabrook has been fine in his past concussions. Sidney obviously is going to be one of those players who cant handle concussions. The hit wasnt at a high speed, and according to jesse rogers "Q said same bout Seabrook. Hopeful for next game so doesn't sound real bad at all"
What does their height have to do with how long they'll be out with a concussion?

Chris Pronger.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:07 PM
featherhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Absolute lunacy. Nobody can or should play through a concussion. League has taken steps to reduce the number of them and taken steps to make sure people aren't playing through them.

I've suffered a number of concussions. Ended my career combined with a bum knee.
one of the things the league needs to do is take the body armour that is weapons off the players and go back to the 1970's style equipment that is padding only......kevlar, carbon fibre and composite materials have no place on elbows and shoulders of hockey players

featherhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:20 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

On a selfish note I hope Seabrook comes back in time for the Wings game next week. It'll be my first trip to the UC this season and our defense will need to be at the top of its game for a win.

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

vCash: 50
I am guessing he will be out til after the Christmas break.

Tone King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:34 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
This is complete lunacy and that is why I like it....playing through a concussion that is what they did in the 1980's.

**** it ban helmets and mouth pieces.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:45 PM
ObeyMashinter

I don't think Seabrook has looked right since the Torres hit. He has played more reluctant and much less physical. I wonder how he is going to come back after this hit.

ObeyMashinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:52 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
P.S, I know my opinion isn't a popular one. I'm just really frustrated with star and important players dropping like flies and seemingly nothing can be done about it.
So entertainment of fans and a winning record > the health of players?

Look what playing through concussions got players like Keith Primeau, Eric Lindros, Pat LaFontaine, etc. Some of the most dominant players in the game early in their careers, but the accumulation of concussions eventually wore away at their ability to play and even function at times until they were forced to hang them up.

Listen to guys like Primeau and Lindros talk about their lives even after hockey and how some days it's painful to even get out of bed. Or how about the growing number of players who used to play through concussions in the "good ol' days" who are dying at an early age and being diagnosed with CTE (ie. Rick Martin, Bob Probert, Derek Boogaard, etc....yes CTE didn't kill Boogaard, but it was a driving factor).

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:34 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

C'mon folks, we are smarter than this.

Curious as to which studies you've read about the correlation between height and brain function. I think it's pretty clear that everyone reacts and recovers from concussions differently, that it's not a black-and-white injury.

Clearly none of his are neurologists. I think it should be clear to anyone by now that sometimes innocent-looking hits can cause more damage than more violent ones.

And it is way too early for anyone, Q and Brent included, to know how long he will be out. The most severe effects of concussions can present 24 to 48 hours after the injury, so it's probably going to be tough to really tell for a couple of days.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:40 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said Seabrook "seemed not bad after the game," adding his exit from the game was more precautionary.

"We'll see," Quenneville said. "We'll find out more tomorrow, but I think he seemed alright. I just talked to him. Seemed OK." Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith added: "Seabrook is doing a lot better."
Seems a little positive.

Old
12-18-2011, 11:46 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbbearcats View Post
one of the things the league needs to do is take the body armour that is weapons off the players and go back to the 1970's style equipment that is padding only......kevlar, carbon fibre and composite materials have no place on elbows and shoulders of hockey players
Better take away composit sticks than too. Taking a shot off of a 70's style elbow pad would be bad news

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:48 PM
FytinSioux
Blackhawksssssss

I expect Seabrook to be out for awhile, although hope I'm wrong.

Each concussion makes it easier and easier to get the next...went through it myself. Had to give up on hockey because of it. Got 3 in a period of 1 year. The last gave me post-concussion syndrome, which lasted about another year with the whole sit in a dark room with headaches stuff, although I still notice a lack of short term memory. While going through it I had to see a lot of doctors. Each one stated that once a concussion occurs it is easier to get the next. Hopefully Seabs will be fine, but having concussion history will not help if it is a head injury.

FytinSioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:51 PM
HawksIsles

"He [Seabrook] seemed not bad after the game," Quenneville said. "It was precautionary."

HawksIsles is offline   Reply With Quote