HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Del Zotto can shoot?

Old
12-18-2011, 11:53 PM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

vCash: 500
Del Zotto can shoot?

I was reading '08 scouting reports and saw this. Bolded is the interesting part.
6. Michael Del Zotto (511, 211 lbs. Born: June 24, 1990, Shoots: L)

Rankings: Central Scouting #15 North American (#8 defenseman), ISS #17 overall (#7 defenseman), THN #15 overall (#7 defenseman), McKeens #28 overall (#8 defenseman), Redline NR.

Del Zotto is the designated whipping boy in this years draft a preseason consensus top-10 draft pick about whom many scouts soured quickly.

Hes going to be the top scoring defenseman someday in the AHL, one Eastern Conference scout groused. Fans will wonder why this guy isnt called up, but any hockey person will know why. Hes one dimensional, and I dont even know if he skates well enough to be a big offensive guy in the NHL. Defensively, hes a nightmare. He turns over pucks and he cant cover. There are a lot of guys Id draft before him.

Nevertheless, there is still a significant contingent who believes that Del Zotto has huge offensive upside and will develop into at least an adequate player in his own zone.

Hes got skills with the puck you just cant teach, and a tremendous shot, wrote another Eastern scout. There are other areas where he needs work, but I think hell get there. I thought he got better as the year went along, but he got off to a bad start and had some rough nights when there were a lot of us watching him. There were other nights where he was took over games with the puck on his stick. I honestly dont think hes all that far off where he needs to be.

From my own point of view, Id rather swing for the fences and miss with Del Zotto than make a conservative pick on a player with half his upside. How many true powerplay trigger man prospects are there? Not many.

A defenseman who averages a point per game (63 points in 64 regular season games), scores 16 goals as a 17-year-old and puts on the sort of shooting display Del Zotto did at the Top Prospects Skills Competition (breaking all four targets in four shots) deserves a long look once you move past the slam-dunk defensemen at the head of the class.

What happened with regards to his shot? That has really been his only weak point this year.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
The only thing wrong with his shot is accuracy.

When he gets it on net, his wrister is hard and crisp, and his slapshot can be booming. His slapshot created Stepan's second goal of the game lasty Sunday against the Panthers.

His accuracy, however, is piss poor, and it holds him back. Should he work on it, it'll make him even more of a threat.

12-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

He loves that top right-hand corner, and never seems to hit it.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:03 AM
Leetch3

i think fear of his shot getting blocked is just as big a factor as inaccuracy.

but the thing that i take most from re-reading that scouting report is how much he has improved defensively (mostly just in the last year)

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:03 AM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
The only thing wrong with his shot is accuracy.

When he gets it on net, his wrister is hard and crisp, and his slapshot can be booming. His slapshot created Stepan's second goal of the game lasty Sunday against the Panthers.

His accuracy, however, is piss poor, and it holds him back. Should he work on it, it'll make him even more of a threat.
He should ask Gonchar what curve he uses...

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:06 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
“He’s going to be the top scoring defenseman someday – in the AHL,” one Eastern Conference scout groused. “Fans will wonder why this guy isn’t called up, but any hockey person will know why. He’s one dimensional, and I don’t even know if he skates well enough to be a big offensive guy in the NHL. Defensively, he’s a nightmare. He turns over pucks and he can’t cover. There are a lot of guys I’d draft before him.”
Oh man, this is beautiful, when the guy is having a better season than most d-men drafted in front of him that year, including Zach Bogo.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:25 AM
NashLife
what if doobie?

He should spend some more time with his buddy Stamkos over the summers.

NashLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:44 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
I was reading '08 scouting reports and saw this. Bolded is the interesting part.
6. Michael Del Zotto (511, 211 lbs. Born: June 24, 1990, Shoots: L)

Rankings: Central Scouting #15 North American (#8 defenseman), ISS #17 overall (#7 defenseman), THN #15 overall (#7 defenseman), McKeens #28 overall (#8 defenseman), Redline NR.

Del Zotto is the designated whipping boy in this years draft a preseason consensus top-10 draft pick about whom many scouts soured quickly.

Hes going to be the top scoring defenseman someday in the AHL, one Eastern Conference scout groused. Fans will wonder why this guy isnt called up, but any hockey person will know why. Hes one dimensional, and I dont even know if he skates well enough to be a big offensive guy in the NHL. Defensively, hes a nightmare. He turns over pucks and he cant cover. There are a lot of guys Id draft before him.

Nevertheless, there is still a significant contingent who believes that Del Zotto has huge offensive upside and will develop into at least an adequate player in his own zone.

Hes got skills with the puck you just cant teach, and a tremendous shot, wrote another Eastern scout. There are other areas where he needs work, but I think hell get there. I thought he got better as the year went along, but he got off to a bad start and had some rough nights when there were a lot of us watching him. There were other nights where he was took over games with the puck on his stick. I honestly dont think hes all that far off where he needs to be.

From my own point of view, Id rather swing for the fences and miss with Del Zotto than make a conservative pick on a player with half his upside. How many true powerplay trigger man prospects are there? Not many.

A defenseman who averages a point per game (63 points in 64 regular season games), scores 16 goals as a 17-year-old and puts on the sort of shooting display Del Zotto did at the Top Prospects Skills Competition (breaking all four targets in four shots) deserves a long look once you move past the slam-dunk defensemen at the head of the class.

What happened with regards to his shot? That has really been his only weak point this year.
Boy, looks like that scouting report is dead on! Del Zotto can shoot the puck but has been very hesitant to do so this year preferring to make plays instead. As a result, his accuracy has been off but I wouldn't worry about that part of his game right now.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 01:18 AM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
He can't hit a soccer net that's the problem.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 01:26 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

The over-exaggeration of MDZ's accuracy is unbelievable.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 02:52 AM
NashLife
what if doobie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The over-exaggeration of MDZ's accuracy is unbelievable.
Yes! Especially if we can if we compare to Mr. Norris candidate Zhara who probably would miss Nagatomo and Hiroshima with his bombs.

/stupid phone

Last edited by NashLife: 12-19-2011 at 03:08 AM.
NashLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:23 AM
Levitate

Eh, the problem is that at the NHL level, and especially in this day of shot blocking, if your slapshot isn't absolutely elite, then you're not going to consistently score from the blueline with it. Del Zotto's is good, but not elite, and yeah he misses the net with it a lot. His wrist shot is pretty good but you don't see it as often and it's not Mike Green status either

So, he's not a great shooting defenseman, but when he's on his game he's good at being opportunistic and jumping into the play at the right time, like in St Louis

e: I think the thing about Del Zotto that people overlook is that he's always a hard worker on the ice. Yeah he wasn't very good defensively but it wasn't because he didn't want to try and wasn't putting in the work, or was always just looking to transition to offense, he just didn't know how to play defense effectively, but he was always out there working hard.

He battles, he throws hits, he's physical along the boards, and this year he's getting the defensive positioning and stuff down better. He wants to get better and has the drive to do so, whereas I think the stereotype of offensive defenseman is that they're floaty in the defensive zone and don't put in the effort to learn the defensive side of things better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Oh man, this is beautiful, when the guy is having a better season than most d-men drafted in front of him that year, including Zach Bogo.
I doubt Del Zotto is going to get any real recognition for a long time, if he continues to get better. The "big names" of that draft are always going to garner praise as "franchise players!" regardless of what they or Del Zotto do. I think it's too early still to see who's the best out of that class but still

Last edited by Levitate: 12-19-2011 at 06:29 AM.
Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:37 AM
Crease

He loves the glass high and to the left.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

That surprised you?

His shot has always been powerful, its just very inaccurate.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Can shoot wide.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:35 AM
MorrisWanchuk

he's peforming well right now

he has room for growth and is young

i think he's going in the right direction

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:49 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
He doesn't have a howitzer of a slapper but I think it's more than adequate to play the point. He just needs to stop trying to be so fine with it, like he's guiding it. Just take low rips and the cage. He'll be fine, in due time.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

It's pretty great that right now the only thing we can gripe about is his shooting accuracy. Hell of a rebound thus far for the kid. Still think he could use a few Underhill sessions though.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:14 AM
John Torturella

Probably has to do with the fact that all of his focus has been on improving his defensive game. He doesn't have as much time to focus on his shot because it isn't a primary concern at this point.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:34 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Let's be honest, most NHL players can hit the net with each and every shot if they tried. What separates a great shot is the fact that a player can do it in a game situation where there are players trying to prevent him from getting a clean shot and where there's an NHL level goalie in the way of your shot. Of course the most elite can pick out corners with much greater ease than the rest.

I'm sure if MDZ was shooting at an empty net he could shoot every shot from the point and hit the net. The problem is that most times players are probably trying to aim for corners or the smallest openings that they see from the goalie or at other times just trying to get the shot around a player who's in the way.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote