HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers recall Stu Bickel

Old
12-18-2011, 09:46 PM
fredrikstad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Maybe the Rangers figure this call up is only going to be temporary (or don't know how long it will be) and would rather Erixon get steady playing time in CT rather than keep having to flip flop between teams?
Could be for cap reasons as well?

Edited: Sorry, did not read the hole tread before posting. And also,what about VTank?

Last edited by fredrikstad: 12-18-2011 at 10:06 PM.
fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:17 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Valentenko isn't anything special. Why he has received so much attention around here I will never understand.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:24 PM
DM23BK30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Valentenko isn't anything special. Why he has received so much attention around here I will never understand.
I agree, but we can say that about 75 pct of the prospects we've seen come through these parts.

I'll admit, i loved Kondratiev and Immonen, but in retrospect, it was simply because of the guy we traded to get them.

Overall, i think the biggest guy I ever overrated was Daniel Goneau. I think I used to tell my friends that he was going to make us forget Tony Amonte. I was right too....for about 10 days.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:31 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

20 bucks says Girardi and McDonagh play 45 minutes

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:36 AM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 3410
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT4Johnny View Post
No ones answered my question on valentenko? Has he really not looked good in ct and developed as we hoped? This guy suppose to have a great shot and hits like a tank.

V-Tank hasn't looked good at all in CT. Doesn't look even close to NHL ready. I'd take both Bell and Parlett before him.

Expected Erixon here, but Stu is serviceable. ****ing injuries.

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:39 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers practice this morning at 11:30. Torts will explain why Bickel was called up. The Rangers called up Bickel on an emergency basis for a reason. Eminger is on IR so he is out for at least 7 days. Just saw that on the site. The Rangers don't need a roster spot. They have 22 players with Bickel. None of the injured players will be returning this week. Wolski is the next player set to come off IR.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 07:53 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
I agree, but we can say that about 75 pct of the prospects we've seen come through these parts.

I'll admit, i loved Kondratiev and Immonen, but in retrospect, it was simply because of the guy we traded to get them.

Overall, i think the biggest guy I ever overrated was Daniel Goneau. I think I used to tell my friends that he was going to make us forget Tony Amonte. I was right too....for about 10 days.
I was never impressed by Kondratiev, but I was all about Immonen. I really thought he was going to be a player. Still to this day I believe that if he stayed in the States he'd be a productive NHL player. The foot speed was lacking, but he had decent enough size to compensate and had good offensive skills. The last guy that I remember being completely wrong about was Filip Novak.

Anyway, I just don't see it with Valentenko. He's big and strong and has a good shot, but the mobility is just too lacking to ever make an impact at the NHL level. I think he's done in the organization after this season.

EDIT: I was also wrong about Dan Girardi. Big time. I remember saying, "David Liffiton (or was it Lampman?) has no business in the NHL, nor does Dan Girardi."

It's just pain.
Old
12-19-2011, 08:17 AM
WeWillWinTonight

vCash: 883
Anyone know what pairing Bickel played in CT and with who?

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 08:21 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillWinTonight View Post
Anyone know what pairing Bickel played in CT and with who?
Second pairing with Brendan Bell, at least in his last game.

http://howlings.net/2011/12/17/whale...rs/#more-13611

Old
12-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I guess the Rangers aren't happy with how Erixon looks right now.
Not at all.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:37 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
Yeah he was OK. I'm looking at it from the perspective that we ought to be a contending team, and that a 25-year-old ECHL'er, even as an emergency call up, should be nowhere near this roster.
We're missing 3 of our top 6 dmen, and 2 of our top 4. Any other team with that many injuries would be forced to call up a similar type player.

And for the record, Bickel isn't an ECHL player. He played 1 game in the ECHL last year and 24 the year before. He's played 144 AHL games in 3+ seasons. Is Girardi an ECHL player too?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:47 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Yeah, Bickel isn't an ECHL player. He just turned 25, some players develop more slowly than others. He's a decent AHL defenseman/tough guy at this point in his career. Is he a bona fide NHL player? No, certainly not. He can be serviceable in sheltered minutes though, which is about all you can ask for from the guy tenth or eleventh on your defensive depth chart.

Old
12-19-2011, 10:09 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Where is Per Djoos when you need him?

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:36 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
JimCerny Jim Cerny
my hunch is w/out Sauer/Eminger, they need size on back end RT @nyrs_rangers: @JimCerny Why not Timmy Erixon instead of Bickel?

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Where is Per Djoos when you need him?
http://hfboards.com/member.php?u=100200

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Vitto79

from snyrangerblog

Woywitka left ice early. i imagine Erixon is up soon.

Rupp at C, I am good with that. man Torts loves freaking Mitchell.

Avery, EC , Wolski the 5th line? Something has got to give. I do like the top 6, keep it that way
-------------------------------------------------------

Update: 11:55AM: Andrew Gross tweets that the lines at practice are:

•The GAS Line
•Brandon Dubinsky, Brad Richards, Ryan Callahan
•Ruslan Fedotenko, Mike Rupp, Brandon Prust
•Carl Hagelin, Brian Boyle, John Mitchell
Update: 11:49AM: Katie Strang tweets that Jeff Woywitka left the ice early

Update: 11:30AM: The team tweets that Sean Avery is skating on a “fifth” line with Wojtek Wolski and Erik Christensen.

Original Post: Katie Strang tweets that Stu Bickel is on the ice at Rangers practice after being called up yesterday.

She also says that Marc Staal has NOT been cleared for contact yet but that he is going to participate in team drills.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:08 PM
94now

So Torts prefers 25 year old right handed D to a kid that plays left D usually. I can't blame him. Also may be Rangers are classy organization and want to give Stu an NHL debute. May be that debute is good for HBO, why not?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:24 PM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

I don't have a huge problem with the Bickel call-up. He's a big, physical guy for the bottom pair in what are always physical, emotional games against divisional rivals. For his lack of speed, he didn't look bad positionally in pre-season. If he gets sheltered minutes, we should still be ok. What does concern me though is the amount of minutes McDonagh and Girardi are going to be logging. At some point, it's going to hit critical mass with those guys.

TheGrapesOfMcIlrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:39 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I was never impressed by Kondratiev, but I was all about Immonen. I really thought he was going to be a player. Still to this day I believe that if he stayed in the States he'd be a productive NHL player. The foot speed was lacking, but he had decent enough size to compensate and had good offensive skills. The last guy that I remember being completely wrong about was Filip Novak.

Anyway, I just don't see it with Valentenko. He's big and strong and has a good shot, but the mobility is just too lacking to ever make an impact at the NHL level. I think he's done in the organization after this season.
But think about Immonen, who I also believe got screwed out of a legitimate potential NHL career. What was the big issue with him? Foot speed. In the 14 games he played, it never seemed like enough of an issue to keep him from playing well. Valentenko hasn't even gotten a shot. He played well in last year's pre-season, and this time, he got one game and was injured. His fault for not disclosing the injury, but that's not a good reason not to give him a real chance. How about they give him at least one call-up at the NHL level when healthy to really know for sure what his deal is? At this point, if they're calling up nobodies like Bickel, it's not going to happen, but that's a mistake in my book, and poor asset management. You don't have to be the fastest skater to be an effective bottom pairing defender.

Quote:
EDIT: I was also wrong about Dan Girardi. Big time. I remember saying, "David Liffiton (or was it Lampman?) has no business in the NHL, nor does Dan Girardi."
I never though Girardi would be as good as he has been this season, either (although I still think his play is being a little overhyped in traditional Rangers "he's ****ing awesome because we say so" style like they've done with plenty of other players in the past through incessant MSG rhetoric).

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
But think about Immonen, who I also believe got screwed out of a legitimate potential NHL career.

Valentenko hasn't even gotten a shot.

I never though Girardi would be as good as he has been this season, either (although I still think his play is being a little overhyped in traditional Rangers "he's ****ing awesome because we say so" style like they've done with plenty of other players in the past through incessant MSG rhetoric).
??????

Just completely confused by what you posted.

Why would the Ranges screw themselves out of an everyday player? I just don't get the conspiracy theories. Especially with the record.

If a player can play, he plays. Yes?

Immonen? What? If he was so good, why did no one else bother to sign him?

Valentenko. Maybe he just has not shown that he deserves a shot.

Girardi? He is the beneficiary of a prolonged propaganda campaign that some how Torts (of all people) bought into?

The guys in Connecticut have proven themselves with the likes of Girardi, Sauer and now MDZ on defense, Callahan, Dubi, Anisimov, Hagelin, etc. at forward. Torts will play guys that help produce W's. That simple, IMO. Speaking of MDZ, if any player should have a tough time proving himself it would be him. But he's doing fine.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 03:27 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
??????

Just completely confused by what you posted.

Why would the Ranges screw themselves out of an everyday player? I just don't get the conspiracy theories. Especially with the record.
What conspiracy theory? Where did I say anything about conspiracy theories? I think he got screwed out of some fallacy about him being too slow. I like Tom Renney, but I think he was way off about that, just as I think Tortorella is way off about Valentenko.

Quote:
Immonen? What? If he was so good, why did no one else bother to sign him?
Because he got offered more money to play in Russia? I don't think he takes that money if the Rangers give him a legit shot to make their team. I never said he was SO good. I think he was legit NHL player, and I think Valentenko is, too. I know, I know, I'm not an NHL scout, so I must not know anything, based on your usual spiel, because NHL scouts are never wrong and because no one else is smart enough to figure anything out about sports.

Quote:
Valentenko. Maybe he just has not shown that he deserves a shot.
Okay. My opinion is that he has, and that he earned that shot a while ago. I think he earned that shot after last training camp.

Quote:
Girardi? He is the beneficiary of a prolonged propaganda campaign that some how Torts (of all people) bought into?
Stop wildly exaggerating what I said. I think Girardi has been excellent this season. I don't think he is a Norris trophy contender. I don't think he is an elite defenseman just because he plays 29 minutes as a result of injuries. I think MSG and the Rangers have a habit of overhyping a player or two every year, and I'm not talking about the quotes Tortorella has said about Girardi. That's a little bit different.

Quote:
The guys in Connecticut have proven themselves with the likes of Girardi, Sauer and now MDZ on defense, Callahan, Dubi, Anisimov, Hagelin, etc. at forward. Torts will play guys that help produce W's. That simple, IMO. Speaking of MDZ, if any player should have a tough time proving himself it would be him. But he's doing fine.
What did I say to indicate otherwise? If anything, I'm saying there are more guys who proved themselves, or should have the chance to prove themselves.

Old
12-19-2011, 04:14 PM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Okay. My opinion is that he has, and that he earned that shot a while ago. I think he earned that shot after last training camp.
I takes more than one good camp to earn a shot. If he can't consistently compete at the AHL level, I don't see him ever becoming an NHL player.

He's still pretty young, so I guess he could get there at some point, but he's not doing anything for the Whale to earn himself a callup right now. Bickel has and so has Erixon.

Old
12-19-2011, 04:26 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubkov21 View Post
I takes more than one good camp to earn a shot. If he can't consistently compete at the AHL level, I don't see him ever becoming an NHL player.

He's still pretty young, so I guess he could get there at some point, but he's not doing anything for the Whale to earn himself a callup right now. Bickel has and so has Erixon.
I've watched 5-7 Whale games this season. From what I saw, I thought Valentenko was much, much better than Bickel. Maybe the rest of the season has gone much differently?

But then again, I thought in the preseason, Bickel was awful, also. Talk about slow...

Old
12-19-2011, 04:46 PM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I've watched 5-7 Whale games this season. From what I saw, I thought Valentenko was much, much better than Bickel. Maybe the rest of the season has gone much differently?

But then again, I thought in the preseason, Bickel was awful, also. Talk about slow...
Bickel did have a bad pre season, he is slow and he brings no offense, but he's been far from awful in CT. He is rarely out of position, he throws his body around when he needs to and he does things simple. Nothing fancy.

I get why you like V-Tank, but he is way to inconsistent. His positioning this season has not been good plus he causes way too many turnovers. Not what you want from a callup to an already weakened blueline.

Last edited by SixGoalieSystem: 12-20-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old
12-19-2011, 06:25 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

You watched 5-7 games? Sorry I trust the Rangers a wee bit more than you..

Quote:

surf is offline   Reply With Quote