HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Burke Should Get Fired If He Pushes For a Wilson Extension?

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2011, 11:15 AM
david999

vCash: 500
Should Burke Should Get Fired If He Pushes For a Wilson Extension?

I love what Brian Burke has done for the organization in terms of rebuilding the team, both in the front office and on the farm. However, it is painfully obvious that this team after 3+ years still can not play defense. People may argue that the Leafs do not have the personnel on the back-end, but every one of the those same players would be welcomed on another NHL team. The Leafs are now on the verge of being outside of a playoff spot before Christmas. In the last 10 games they have regressed instead of moving forward with their
defensive play, despite all the time that Wilson says is being devoted to practicing a system. I am concerned that out of blind loyalty Burke will try to extend Wilson's contract despite what is beginning to look like a slide down the standings. Should Burke be canned if he signs Wilson and the team misses the "Dance" for a 4th straight year under his buddy? Martin, Carlyle, Boudreau,Murray, all had better records than the Leafs over the last 3 years, yet management made a change. I hope Burke sees the light soon.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Man Bear Pig

Burke has to go to the higher ups before he can even offer one. Everything aside Burke has done his job IMO. He's got the youngest team in the league with a nice young core. Wilsons pathetic PK is what's holding this team back year after year.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Burke has to go to the higher ups before he can even offer one.
I doubt that

Old
12-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
I doubt that
What is there to doubt? Do you really think Burke can just spend millions of MLSE's money without any consent?

Old
12-19-2011, 11:23 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
I doubt that
He probably will consult with them to get different opinions, but Burke is accountable for the final decision.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:24 AM
hdtrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
What is there to doubt? Do you really think Burke can just spend millions of MLSE's money without any consent?
It was stressed numerous times when he took the job that he would do what was right for the team and didn't need MLSE permission. Not saying he doesn't tell them what he's doing, but unlike JFJ, he doesn't need to explicitly go to them and ask if he can do one thing or another.

In response to the OP...good God, no. He's righted the ship in Toronto; this team is young, inexperienced and will have its ups-and-downs. Why not watch how it all unfolds rather than blindly call for a guy's job when he's done nothing but make the team better in the long run.

Wilson deserving to be fired is the flavor of the week. If Leafs go 3-0 this week, we'll move on to a different topic next monday (i.e. probably something about the goalies.)

Old
12-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
He probably will consult with them to get different opinions, but Burke is accountable for the final decision.
My post yesterday said it all, if Wilson is rehired if we miss the playoffs. Burke loses all credibility. Rewarding medocrity is not wanting to win. I will doubt his leadership in this organization if this happens, and he may pay for it under new ownership.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:27 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Glad this topic finally came up in thread form. It won't pull other threads off topic.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:28 AM
thewave

Q: Should Burke Should Get Fired If He Pushes For a Wilson Extension?

A: Absolutely

Old
12-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don Draper View Post
It was stressed numerous times when he took the job that he would do what was right for the team and didn't need MLSE permission. Not saying he doesn't tell them what he's doing, but unlike JFJ, he doesn't need to explicitly go to them and ask if he can do one thing or another.

In response to the OP...good God, no. He's righted the ship in Toronto; this team is young, inexperienced and will have its ups-and-downs. Why not watch how it all unfolds rather than blindly call for a guy's job when he's done nothing but make the team better in the long run.

Wilson deserving to be fired is the flavor of the week. If Leafs go 3-0 this week, we'll move on to a different topic next monday (i.e. probably something about the goalies.)
Burke has autonomy but lets not kid ourselves, if he went to ownership right now and wanted to give Wilson an extension I think he leaves that board room unhappy.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:32 AM
david999

Quote:

This is what I am worried about. The Leafs go 3-0 or 5 of 6 and Burke uses that point to hand out a contract extension.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:33 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

i don't think burke is stupid.

I don't think he pushes for an extension where the team is right now.

if he does extend him, it will be after the leafs are pretty much a lock for a playoff spot.

it would be absolutely stupid for him to extend prior to that. he'd be risking his own job. and like i said, he ain't stupid.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Avec Fromage*

No, the notion is ridiculous. Burke has done a good job with player acquisition, and that is his main job. I'd rather the team keeps its great GM (although I disagree with his take on exploiting loopholes to circumvent the cap) and mediocre coach, than sack both. Ronnie will pave his way off the team soon enough.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Mogwai

Burke should get fired if he doesn't make the playoffs this year. Frankly, he'd even probably agree if from an objective point of view. If he doesn't make it this year, he'll have burned 3 years of control of Kessel and others while not making enough of an improvement to get us in the show.

I say that as a Burke supporter and Wilson hater.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

No, as Sports is a results oriented business and end results are all that matters.

So simply giving Wilson an extension doesn't warrant discipline, only if the end result is failure as in non playoff season.

Every GM has one free get out of jail/firing card, and that is his coach, where every GM is often given the right to select his own. Wilson was inherited and came with the job... A Wilson firing still standing as a job preservation option for BB at present as things sit now... However if Burke has chosen to hitch himself to Wilson's wagon through a contract extension, then he too should be judged by the same brush on the team results, and forfeit that previous job security benefit in the process.

A Wilson contract extension increases the pressure to succeed on the GM as well, as its to his own peril at which that decision comes.

Bell/Rogers new ownership may indeed take out both if they feel its warranted. New ownership much like new GMs also have a right to bring in their own choices in management, and are not limited to what/whom they have inherited.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Koolboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avec Fromage View Post
No, the notion is ridiculous. Burke has done a good job with player acquisition, and that is his main job. I'd rather the team keeps its great GM (although I disagree with his take on exploiting loopholes to circumvent the cap) and mediocre coach, than sack both. Ronnie will pave his way off the team soon enough.
A good GM would have realized he need a coaching change after third year of failing to deliver, or is this all about him being LOYAL to his buddy. If thats the case than some leafs fan here need to wake up.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:44 AM
BrixtonBullet
Rookie User

If he gets an extension and the Leafs miss the Playoffs then the answer is an obvious yes.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Ari91

If MLSE is serious about winning as they say they are, I can't see how they wouldn't question the decision to extend a coach that has not made playoffs in 4 years. You can argue that he didn't have the pieces before this year and to some extent, I would agree. Can't spin straw into gold. However, our team is more than capable of winning games and making playoffs. Burke has gone on record and said that he believes he has finally delivered a roster to Wilson that he can make playoffs with. The implication there is that if the team fails, Wilson will have to hold more accountability this year than he had to in years before.

I don't think Wilson gets extended unless the Leafs are a lock for playoffs this season. And I guess I'm in the minority but I don't see Burke handing Wilson an extension if we don't make playoffs this year.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 1775
Burke is the best thing to happen to this city in 20 years. The fact that the Wilson hate has reached the point that people are willing to fire him over it is hilarious.

Where was the Wilson praise when the team was on fire? You lot must have been writing your essays and waiting for a burp in the team to post.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:56 AM
hdtrax

Look, Burke's not an idiot.

He knows what kind of backlash there will be if he hands out a contract extension before the playoff picture is settled. Talks of there being "negotiations" is simply part of an ongoing process of discussion. There's a reason why it's negotiation, and not a deal.

And yes he does have autonomy, but he knows full well not to walk into a board room looking for that extension until playoffs are secure this year. He knows this. I know this. You know this. Why kid ourselves into thinking he's deliberately trying to screw this team?

Old
12-19-2011, 11:59 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Look, Burke's not an idiot.

He knows what kind of backlash there will be if he hands out a contract extension before the playoff picture is settled. Talks of there being "negotiations" is simply part of an ongoing process of discussion. There's a reason why it's negotiation, and not a deal.

And yes he does have autonomy, but he knows full well not to walk into a board room looking for that extension until playoffs are secure this year. He knows this. I know this. You know this. Why kid ourselves into thinking he's deliberately trying to screw this team?
Pretty much. People here like to invent issues so that they can cry about them and tell us how they would run the team.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:01 PM
number72

The General Steps to handling struggling team
1. Benching players
2. Trades
3. Fire assistants
4. Fire Coach
5. Fire GM

Once the coach goes then Burke the GM is held entirely accountable.
Burke can't keep firing the coach as Burke is next in line.
He really only has one shot to replace the coach as it looks like bad judgement on him that he "chose" the wrong coach if wilson replacement struggles.

The smart way to protect his job is to run with Wilson however bad he maybe until he is forced to.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:04 PM
david999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafidelity View Post
Burke is the best thing to happen to this city in 20 years. The fact that the Wilson hate has reached the point that people are willing to fire him over it is hilarious.

Where was the Wilson praise when the team was on fire? You lot must have been writing your essays and waiting for a burp in the team to post.
When was the team on fire?

Old
12-19-2011, 12:07 PM
SteveV*

I hope Burke gives Wilson an extension soon. Team plays hard for the coach, that's ALL that matters.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:11 PM
miff27

Burke...fired not a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafidelity View Post

I agree that Burke is what was needed to get the Leafs turned around. Just taking longer than us Leafs fans can tolerate.....being human there.

As for Wilson, Burke has shown his weakness, if he has one. In any other city, Wilson would have been fired by now. So why should we as Leaf fans praise him up(Wilson), for a good 15 games and fairly lousy last 17. Not to mention the last 3 years.

So I agree with your first statement, but think your totally wrong on the second.

So go beat the Kings, Sabres, and Islanders and give us Leaf fans a early
Christmas present!

Closed Thread