HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Ron Wilson needs to be fired! 4 years of Failure.

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2011, 03:18 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
1. Fri Nov 25, 2011: TOR (4) - DAL (3) S/O
2. Sun Nov 27, 2011: TOR (5) - ANA (2)
3. Wed Nov 30, 2011: BOS (6) - TOR (3)
4. Sat Dec 3, 2011: TOR (1) - BOS (4)

5. Mon Dec 5, 2011: TOR (4) - NYR (2)
6. Tue Dec 6, 2011: NJD (3) - TOR (2) OT
7. Fri Dec 9, 2011: TOR (2) - WSH (4)

8. Tue Dec 13, 2011: CAR (1) - TOR (2) OT
9. Fri Dec 16, 2011: TOR (4) - BUF (5)
10. Sat Dec 17, 2011: VAN (5) - TOR (3)

Last 10 really isn't too bad.

If we acknowledge a 5 year rebuilding plan this is okay.

This year another 1st. round pick. Maybe even grab another 1st. round pick at the deadline as Burke trades off some players to playoffs bound teams.
I would disagree with this. 2 of the 4 wins were against western conference teams which doesn't help movement in the standings. Of the other two wins one still gave an eastern conference team a point. Although, I guess they made up that point with their ot loss. The Sabres and Capitals IMO were the two most important games of the ten and the leafs failed to gain a point. That is if your looking to make the playoffs.

Going by your last statements. It doesn't sound like the playoffs are your concern. The problem is it will be for Burke and Wilson. Which means if they are even remotely in reach Burke could end up being a buyer at the deadline. Surrendering assets and not gaining them. I will say the best time to let Burke go if it came to that is this off season. With all the ufa's you guys will have at the end of the 2012 2013. A new g.m would be able to put a whole new team together if he wanted to.

Old
12-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Bower 1967
Rookie User

Wilson has to go

I agree, 4 years of this guy and our PK is the worst.
We need a coach that the players will go though the wall for.
Dallas Eakins your time has come, please bring Mike Zigomanis with you.
Wilson, don't let the door hit you in butt as you leave !

Honestly Burlie your loyal to a fault, your ship is leaking badly, you don't want to go down with Wilson.

Burkie, you have done your job, now its time for a coach who can lead and motivate these players, Ron Wilson is not that leader.

Enough said, Dallas Eakins your time is now !!

Old
12-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

hes just being nice to Ron, He'll never find a job anywhere else after hes done in Toronto. Not in coaching thats for sure.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:03 PM
BIitz
BPA Free Lining

It really comes down to the personnel a team has. You're going to play a trap/dump and chase when your best players best asset is offense? Yesterday should show you we don't have the players to beat the best. Phaneuf-Gunnar vs the Sedins? Obviously it could be been a poor game for the D pairing, but on any good team you won't see a guy like Phaneuf on against 2 superstars.

Yes, I can see the PK has struggled. How many times against the Sabres could we have gotten that puck out on their 4th(?) goal? Schenn had 2 cracks at it and a forward did and they didn't get it out. Yesterday we had chances to just chip the puck out and change but people insisted on skating it out with tired legs and turning it over.

Mental mistakes are really just costing this team. There is a part you can blame on coaching. RW should have made adjustments on getting the puck out as the first priority. But, what system can you run with our team? The trap isn't the end all be all system. Name me a team that has recently won the cup with a sit back and wait mentality? Sure, it defends leads, but when you're behind and pressing your whole system falls apart.

We need a D man who can play minutes against top lines. Kind of like what beauch does for Ana. A forward who is strong down low would be great. You guys all want superstars, but our depth players aren't doing enough. It wasn't our top6 that lost the game for us, Bozak had 3 points didn't he? It's the fact that we don't have the personnel to go toe-toe against the best lines.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:12 PM
LaPlante94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
hes just being nice to Ron, He'll never find a job anywhere else after hes done in Toronto. Not in coaching thats for sure.
You're kidding right?

Old
12-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Rusty545

Anyone know what coach is in charge of the Defence? I ask this because it seems year after year the defence on this team looks great on paper, but always seems to be a bit sub par on the ice. Maybe it has to do with defensive coaching?

Old
12-18-2011, 09:10 PM
hittes petr sykora
WOLOLO

Lol they're negotiating an extension

Old
12-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Bower 1967
Rookie User

When Cliff Fletcher knew one day he would have to make a decision on Pat Burns. He just hoped the timing would have been better. When he finally chose to replace Burns in 1996, Mark Crawford had been long gone for Colorado and Joel Quenneville, assisting him, would soon be in St. Louis.
When the time comes to replace Wilson, they will be better off if Eakins is still around.

Its Dallas Eakins time now

Burke knows it and so does his executive.

Old
12-19-2011, 06:00 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
i agree this is wilsons last job in hockey ....if burke is allowed to give him an extension he ll likly get it
but once the new owners come in .....these guys do have a sports background in some sense they may look at front office salaries and say burke and company are paid more than GM'S of many other nhl clubs
i expected more from a gm ......2 assistant gm's a capologist a goalie coach etc etc
i dont think anyone is treating ron wilson unfair
hes past his time

Old
12-19-2011, 06:39 AM
StuckOutHere

I think this should be Ron Wilson's last year. There are good coaches who make bad teams good. He couldn't do that. The team we have right now is pretty solid, and we are still toiling in mediocrity. Burke has said it himself when he talks about the culture of losing. Ron Wilson, though a great coach throughout the years, is a losing coach in Toronto. Always has been, and if we don't make the playoffs, always will be. At some point you need results.

Old
12-19-2011, 06:44 AM
SprDaVE

I've been on the fence with Wilson because there wasn't any sort of coach available that would be an upgrade over him, and the Leafs started well.

With Randy Carlyle just waiting to be picked up and the Leafs starting to really struggle and keep going down the standings, I think Burke has to make his move soon.

There's no excuse to have this bad of a PK for 4 years in a row. No excuse. Goaltending might have been a problem but there's no excuse anymore. The players are so clueless out there defending, but you can't trade all of the players...

Of course it won't happen around Christmas, but I think instead of a January trade we could see a coaching change.

Last edited by SprDaVE: 12-19-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old
12-19-2011, 06:51 AM
Dio666

Quote:
Originally Posted by hittes petr sykora View Post
Lol they're negotiating an extension
Not as funny as the contract the Canuckleheads gave over-ratted Lou Lol

Old
12-19-2011, 07:56 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bower 1967 View Post
When Cliff Fletcher knew one day he would have to make a decision on Pat Burns. He just hoped the timing would have been better. When he finally chose to replace Burns in 1996, Mark Crawford had been long gone for Colorado and Joel Quenneville, assisting him, would soon be in St. Louis.
When the time comes to replace Wilson, they will be better off if Eakins is still around.

Its Dallas Eakins time now

Burke knows it and so does his executive.
What is this fascination with Eakins? He has no NHL head coaching experience, just slightly better than a .500 record as an AHL head coach, and has never coached a playoff game.

I keep hearing how good he is with young players, but which one of the Leafs has really been developed by Eakins coaching?

I've got nothing against the guy, but perhaps we should see some AHL results before he's anointed coaching savior.

Old
12-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Please say No to Randy Carlysle. I'd much rather go promote Eakins or even Gordon then bring him in. We've got a young team and he's known to be the complete opposite of a players coach.

I'd much rather bring in MacTavish then Wilson. Others I'd definitely consider are Craig Ramsey and Mike Keenan. Keenan has a short shelf life but he brings out the best in his players. Ramsey is a very highly regarded hockey mind who Dudley hired in Atlanta.

Old
12-19-2011, 08:42 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Please say No to Randy Carlysle. I'd much rather go promote Eakins or even Gordon then bring him in. We've got a young team and he's known to be the complete opposite of a players coach.

I'd much rather bring in MacTavish then Wilson. Others I'd definitely consider are Craig Ramsey and Mike Keenan. Keenan has a short shelf life but he brings out the best in his players. Ramsey is a very highly regarded hockey mind who Dudley hired in Atlanta.
Where is Ramsey now? He would have been an excellent choice for an Assistant, great PK guy.

Old
12-19-2011, 08:49 AM
daveleaf

I would fire Wilson. One can argue about many things but PK'ng is coaching, getting the puck out of the zone is coaching and getting players to buy into it. Back checking is coaching.

My first choice is Larry Robinson. I think he is a great coach that carries an aura with him. Has won the cup as a player and a coach and would be good with the Toronto media. Face it, there hasn't been a guy this town has respected since Pat Quinn and before him Pat Burns.

Carlye would be a good choice, former player that has had success and has a history with Burke. Ramsey is fine as well.

I don't buy the argument one bit that you have to be a trap team to be defensively responsible.

If Burke is a man that wants to get the most out of his captain, can motivate his players and bring success back to Toronto than Larry is only a short drive from the ACC.

Old
12-19-2011, 08:55 AM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post

I'm on the fence if this team needs an old coach or a young coach. If we get a younger coach, then the team learns together. I think that players work harder for younger coaches too. If you get an older coach, then they are suppose to teach more and understand the game instead of doing knee jerk reactions.

I feel that Ron Wilson has run his course as a head coach for the Leafs. If its not Wilson then something in management has to happen. The team had a great start and currently sits in 8th place, but continue to see failures in the same departments that have kept the team away from the playoffs for the last 100 years. If the assistant coaches were brought in to help adjust the penalty kill, then something has to give.

If Burke still feels that he doesn't have the players it takes to succeed then its a full house clean. The direction that we are headed in, is a great one with solid prospects and some players that are pushing for jobs from the Marlies.

I don't think that the Leafs are in a bad position, but if the slide continues then Wilson gets cut by the new year.

Old
12-19-2011, 09:14 AM
Philkessel

I think a coach who coached Jr. like dale hunter would of been the best choice. But I would be even willing to give dallas a shot since he knows how to deal with young players.

Old
12-19-2011, 09:42 AM
pspot

I just want a coach that is positive with the players and the media. For how negative and critical the media is in TO i just think the team needs someone positive. Otherwise the players have no where to turn and small things turn into mountains fairly quickly.

For young players that can deadly. Even if its something negative if the coach can actually explain the reasoning behind a move or situation and takes the time to communicate it then a lot of the issues we've seen can be avoided.

RW is bush league with how he handles players and the media.

Some organization and stability on the ice would be great too.
Watched the first installment of 24/7 on the weekend and Torts was talking about how important consistency is and if your constantly changing players start to second guess themselves and the system.

Last edited by pspot: 12-19-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old
12-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Agree wth thread title.

He hasn't won. And we look sloppy and unprepared as we lose.

Plus he's a total sour puss and quite the liar.

Dump him before season is irretrievably lost.

Old
12-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
Agree wth thread title.

So let it be written.

So let it be done.

12-19-2011, 10:12 AM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

vCash: 620
Right, lets be honest here.
It doesn't matter who the coach is or who the GM is or even who the players are. When they lose games there are some fans that are going to look for a scapegoat and then there are some fans who are going to complain even when the team is winning because the coach, GM or players aren't doing things the way they'd do them.

That being said, they better figure out the PK issues because it's getting beyond pathetic now.

Old
12-19-2011, 10:12 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
Agree wth thread title.

Hail Caesar!

Old
12-19-2011, 10:25 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
Right, lets be honest here.
It doesn't matter who the coach is or who the GM is or even who the players are. When they lose games there are some fans that are going to look for a scapegoat and then there are some fans who are going to complain even when the team is winning because the coach, GM or players aren't doing things the way they'd do them.

That being said, they better figure out the PK issues because it's getting beyond pathetic now.
As the Leafs coach, Pat Quinn coached 574 games and had a 300-196-52(ties)-26 OTL. He went to 3 conference championships and won 7 playoff series.

In his career, he coached 1400 games, with 684 wins and 528 losses and a bunch of ties and OTL. He won 2 Jack Adams trophies, and an Olympic Gold medal, won a Canada Cup and a few other international tournaments.

How do you think people felt about him as Leafs coach?

Old
12-19-2011, 10:29 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
As the Leafs coach, Pat Quinn coached 574 games and had a 300-196-52(ties)-26 OTL. He went to 3 conference championships and won 7 playoff series.

In his career, he coached 1400 games, with 684 wins and 528 losses and a bunch of ties and OTL. He won 2 Jack Adams trophies, and an Olympic Gold medal, won a Canada Cup and a few other international tournaments.

How do you think people felt about him as Leafs coach?
I thought he was a great coach. Why did he get fired again?

Closed Thread