HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Ron Wilson needs to be fired! 4 years of Failure.

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2011, 10:32 AM
daveleaf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
As the Leafs coach, Pat Quinn coached 574 games and had a 300-196-52(ties)-26 OTL. He went to 3 conference championships and won 7 playoff series.

In his career, he coached 1400 games, with 684 wins and 528 losses and a bunch of ties and OTL. He won 2 Jack Adams trophies, and an Olympic Gold medal, won a Canada Cup and a few other international tournaments.

How do you think people felt about him as Leafs coach?
I would say some of the best years of Leaf hockey have been with Pat Quinn and before him Pat Burns. I thought both were great coaches......and I never minded Roger Neilson either.

Old
12-19-2011, 10:38 AM
The Iceman

Quote:
As the Leafs coach, Pat Quinn coached 574 games and had a 300-196-52(ties)-26 OTL. He went to 3 conference championships and won 7 playoff series.

In his career, he coached 1400 games, with 684 wins and 528 losses and a bunch of ties and OTL. He won 2 Jack Adams trophies, and an Olympic Gold medal, won a Canada Cup and a few other international tournaments.

It is funny because Pat Quinn got in to it with the media at times but he was never really pegged as the villan in the media like Wilson is.
I loved Quinn behind the bench....brilliant!
I think a large part of Wilson's failure is that he is not a likeable guy.
Part of coaching is you either need to be liked or respected.
Ron is Meh to both.
I would love to meet Pat Quinn.
If Ron Wilson walked past my house I wouldn't even bother to wave as he walked by.
Funny that a guy like Wilson would choose to even get in to coaching in the 1st place.
Doesn't seem to fit the mold.
Not a good communicator and is put off by the media covering his team....nice combo.

Old
12-19-2011, 10:47 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

I think he should be hired on a month to month basis or signed to a two year extension but no NTC or NMC clause.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Bob Loblawbrovsky
The Boston Racists

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
I thought he was a great coach. Why did he get fired again?
Missed the playoffs ONCE after a 90 point season?

Old
12-19-2011, 10:59 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceman View Post
I think a large part of Wilson's failure is that he is not a likeable guy.
Part of coaching is you either need to be liked or respected.
Ron is Meh to both.
Do you mean by the fans and media or by the players that he is coaching?

Old
12-19-2011, 11:14 AM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

vCash: 620
Quote:

I liked him as a coach and as a GM however I distinctly remember some fans on these boards complaining about him not playing the kids enough and relying to much on veterans and trading away too many assets on over-the-hill players in his attempt to bring a cup to Toronto. I also remember some fans complaining that he put too much emphasis on a run and gun style of game and he should have played a trap like all the other successful cup winners (New Jersey). He also took heat for the way he dealt with the media and being too lax with his vets when they weren't playing well. Remember the Nolan trade? I thought it was good at the time but a freak injury to Nolan right before the playoffs started made that trade a waste of time.

There will always be those that aren't happy, even when the team is winning.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:06 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:

Pat Quinn was a good coach as was Pat Burns. Those two guys brought Toronto closer to the holy grail than anybody else in my lifetime. Quinn was a decent GM too. I gotta say...this duo of Burke/Wilson are making me laugh....they are so arrogant and cocky and spinning their wheels. For the most part Leafs Nation is deserving of these two ****....constantly defending them for being crass, obnoxious and egotistical. These guys will bring Toronto zero results. Even a playoff appearance seems more and more unlikely as the season wears on.... They are still in the thick of it but as many pointed out... the way they are playing will soon catch up to them. And those were correct. The sked was fairly easy up until recently..and those were correct....Can't be carried by two guys all the year long...and they were correct. The team is in a Downward spiral...and those were correct. All these obvious signs were right in front of us but many refused to acknowledge them, all the while berating and calling out posters who suggested such bold predictions. Leafs are but a .500 team and if they don't start to improve on some of their sloppy, offense-first style of play, may find themselves in the same postion of years past. Playing catchup, feverishly trying to get into the top 8.

With the speak of Wilson getting his extension now being reported, the future looks bleak, IMO. More of the same. There are coaches falling all around the Leafs but Ron Wilson will get another 3 years? Comical.

Last edited by Mess: 12-19-2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: profanity filter
Old
12-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Stan Dupcomic
Thank you come again

fire him hire jacque martin

Old
12-19-2011, 12:33 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Pat Quinn was a good coach as was Pat Burns. Those two guys brought Toronto closer to the holy grail than anybody else in my lifetime. Quinn was a decent GM too. I gotta say...this duo of Burke/Wilson are making me laugh....they are so arrogant and cocky and spinning their wheels. For the most part Leafs Nation is deserving of these two d1cks....constantly defending them for being crass, obnoxious and egotisitical. These guys will bring Toronto zero results. Even a playoff appearance seems more and more unlikely as the season wears on.... They are still in the thick of it but as many pointed out... the way they are playing will soon catch up to them. And those were correct. The sked was failry easy up until recentlly..and those were correct....Can't be carried by two guys all the year long...and they were correct. The team is in a Downward spiral...and those were correct. All these obvious signs were right in front of us but many refused to acknowledge them, all the while berating and calling out posters who suggested such bold predicitions. Leafs are but a .500 team and if they don't start to improve on some of their sloppy, offense-first style of play, may find themselves in the same postion of years past. Playing catchup, feverishly trying to get into the top 8.

With the speak of Wilson getting his extension now being reported, the future looks bleak, IMO. More of the same. There are coaches falling all around the Leafs but Ron Wilson will get another 3 years? Comical.
The arguments against Quinn are almost identicle to the arguments against Wilson today. The only difference is, Quinn refused to teach/instruct young players, and didn't do well in that role. He had success with a very veteran team, with no defence and little system/strategy. But he did seem to be a good motivator, although he wasn't well liked by many who played for him. Many, many players over the years spoke out against him and his style.

One difference for Quinn was, he avoided conflict with the media. And by avoided, I mean literally.

Funny how that works.

Quote:
When asked about the differences between Pat Quinn and his current coach with the San Jose Sharks, Ron Wilson, McCauley did not hesitate.

"I can tell you that there is really no comparison in the amount of instruction and advice that I've gotten," he said. "It's been much more positive here than it was in Toronto. The only real advice I got as a Leaf was to put up more points, offensively."
Quote:
"I wasn't ridiculed or anything (by Quinn), but there was never really any advice as to what I should do -- just put up more points. That's easy to say, but a little help along the way has made a big difference."

Last edited by smoke meat pete*: 12-19-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old
12-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Ruski

When is it time for the head coach to pay for miserable "penalty kill"?

As most of us know all too well...the leafs have been among the worst teams on the penalty kill for the past 5+ years. Often times the assistant coaches are responsible for the special teams, but does there come a time that the head coach needs to take full responsibility??

Discuss...

Old
12-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
I love Ron's clueless look after the Leafs are scored upon on the PK. I can't wait until this clown is fired.

Old
12-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Kessley Snipes

About the same time people realize it makes no sense to post the same threads every day.

Old
12-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Ruski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
I love Ron's clueless look after the Leafs are scored upon on the PK. I can't wait until this clown is fired.
lol...i didn't want to make it too obvious in my post, but honestly i think Ron has outlived his usefulness in this town. I cant say he isn't good with young guys and he seems to do well when the team in winning, but it just takes 3-4 games of terrible penalty killing and wilson is just standing there like he isn't sure why we lost.

We have speed, "mostly" good puck movement, physicality but when you are this bad at the penalty kill it ruins everything!

Old
12-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Fire Wilson.

I regret ever making that thread defending him at the beginning of the season. I've had it with this PK.

Old
12-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Ruski

Quote:
Originally Posted by blader258 View Post
About the same time people realize it makes no sense to post the same threads every day.
hey bud, i dont post the same thread every day so go away...nobody asked you to chime in here...if you dont have anything to contribute to the discussion, then go read some other posts.

I am watching the game and felt that it was a valid question to ask on a leafs forum!...you are just trolling around so take a hike.

Old
12-19-2011, 08:15 PM
KAVORKA

Bottom line, Wilson has NO excuse for not getting the most out of his players. That alone is enough for him to be fired IMO.

Old
12-19-2011, 08:22 PM
steve1873
44 Years

Quote:
Pat Quinn was a good coach as was Pat Burns. Those two guys brought Toronto closer to the holy grail than anybody else in my lifetime. Quinn was a decent GM too. I gotta say...this duo of Burke/Wilson are making me laugh....they are so arrogant and cocky and spinning their wheels. For the most part Leafs Nation is deserving of these two ****....constantly defending them for being crass, obnoxious and egotistical. These guys will bring Toronto zero results. Even a playoff appearance seems more and more unlikely as the season wears on.... They are still in the thick of it but as many pointed out... the way they are playing will soon catch up to them. And those were correct. The sked was fairly easy up until recently..and those were correct....Can't be carried by two guys all the year long...and they were correct. The team is in a Downward spiral...and those were correct. All these obvious signs were right in front of us but many refused to acknowledge them, all the while berating and calling out posters who suggested such bold predictions. Leafs are but a .500 team and if they don't start to improve on some of their sloppy, offense-first style of play, may find themselves in the same postion of years past. Playing catchup, feverishly trying to get into the top 8.

Absolutely Spot on.

Old
12-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Runningchief

Even strength seems decent
5th in east in 5v5 GF (tied)
8th in east in 5v5 GA

The powerplay is amazing 22.3%

He seems good with the younger players

The problem is the PK.
I don't get it, they hired new assistant coach for the PK, but they use the same old strategy.
How much control does this new guy have? Is it Wilson not letting the assistant implement a
new strategy, or is the new guy not that good? (Not sure if Scott Gordon or Greg Cronin)

Either way I don't mind Wilson, he just needs to give the PK responsibility to a capable assistant and stay away.

Old
12-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Oh that's it! Fire Wilson!

Old
12-19-2011, 08:52 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

hahahaha

Old
12-19-2011, 08:53 PM
T M L
Make Belief Captain

Another loss for the Leafs. FIRE Ron Wilson already. Garbage coach, Leafs are almost out of a playoff spot yet again. Great job Ron!

Old
12-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:

I wish there was a rep option on this board. I'd rep the heck outta ya.

Spot on.

Old
12-19-2011, 08:55 PM
MVP of West Hollywd

We need to fix the 2nd and 3rd lines, not the coach

Wilson isn't a "contending" coach without great structure - But changing a coach won't make us good

Old
12-19-2011, 08:56 PM
MVP of West Hollywd

I hate Connelly

Old
12-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Alexander Baigle

What if we took it to the streets?

Ron Wilson needs to go. What if Leafs fans protested? I don't think he'd last long if he were actually protested.

Closed Thread