Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Charlie Coyle Leaves Boston University

Old
12-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
I think it's better for Coyle, and ultimately the Wild. Although I am a little surprised they didn't sign him for Housty.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I think it's better for Coyle, and ultimately the Wild. Although I am a little surprised they didn't sign him for Housty.
We saw the Okposo **** storm first-hand. I don't think they want to be a part of that.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 01:19 PM
xMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Still don't know why he would rather go to the Q then play in the AHL. I mean our team was a couple games away from being the champs and are off to a hot start this year so he had a good chance to win here.
I can think of a few reasons.

The most obvious is he's selfish. Show me an NHLer that didn't put number 1 first?

Saint John is a fast, skilled team. IMHO they can compete with any team on the planet in a non-contact game. It pushes people just to play on this team, or it will come the stretch. It's been fairly low key so far due to injuries and championship hangover.

Saint John has elite coaching.

He'll play in all situations, and he'll play a lot. It's pretty much a sure thing. In the AHL he will have to work his way in to the lineup. I've seen good young players stumble in the AHL. It's a game of men, and even though he's a stud, he's still a kid. It's not a sure thing.

He will be pushed by the competition. There's a big-a$$ed wanted sign on Saint John's head after last year's successes. Teams get pumped up against them. They will even more down the stretch. Last year's Prez Cup finals rivaled any series I've ever seen, and the Mem Cup was a very tough win.

xMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Not everyone is cut out for college. He said a part of it was not doing well at school. If he was in danger of academic ineligibility, and he wasn't happy, then what's the big deal? He'll play more games, get more opportunities, and then move to the AHL next year like he would have anyway.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:33 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Not everyone is cut out for college. He said a part of it was not doing well at school. If he was in danger of academic ineligibility, and he wasn't happy, then what's the big deal? He'll play more games, get more opportunities, and then move to the AHL next year like he would have anyway.
It's important to remember the picture we've had drawn of Coyle's attitude. The guy apparently has an Eat-Sleep-Hockey schedule. If he's not doing one of those three, he's in the gym conditioning for hockey. If he could find a way to not need sleep, he'd trade that time for more hockey. At least, this is the image that has been presented to us by every little piece I've ever seen about him. Now he says "I'm leaving BU so I can focus more on hockey." I don't think we should be as surprised as we all have been.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Question....Could Coyle going to the Q on his accord and not being signed early from the NCAA by the Wild be nothing but a goodwill gesture? (in short....not wanting to tic off a strong NCAA fanbase)

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Question....Could Coyle going to the Q on his accord and not being signed early from the NCAA by the Wild be nothing but a goodwill gesture? (in short....not wanting to tic off a strong NCAA fanbase)
You mean a goodwill gesture towards us? Personally, I don't really care about BU, so I'm not too concerned about him screwing them over.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:53 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Per the Wild's official press release, the team does not believe it's appropriate for 19 year old college students to be taken from their school mid-season and brought to our AHL affiliate.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Where was the press release?

Old
12-19-2011, 04:32 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Where was the press release?
I might have a tweet from Russo crossed with it now that I read the actual statement again. Here's the official statement. If I have a few minutes at work I'll try find the rest of my claim.

Old
12-19-2011, 04:50 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Here it is.

Per Russo:

Quote:
--Clarification on the Charlie Coyle situation: The Wild was never willing to sign Coyle and place him now in Houston. If he left Boston University, he would have had to go play major junior or Europe. The Wild would never want a 19-year-old to leave college for the AHL.

Old
12-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Ah, I read that as they didn't want him to jump into the AHL level of play rather than ditch his team.

Old
12-19-2011, 05:26 PM
melinko

Anyone else worried hes going to go to St. John and look poor compared to Phillips and the others?

His expectations are high and I imagine its tough to just up and switch leagues and be expected to dominate, even if he will be playing younger players.

Is it safe to say anything under a point per game will be a disappointment?

melinko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinko View Post
Anyone else worried hes going to go to St. John and look poor compared to Phillips and the others?

His expectations are high and I imagine its tough to just up and switch leagues and be expected to dominate, even if he will be playing younger players.

Is it safe to say anything under a point per game will be a disappointment?
Yes, a big one. However, he has a lot in his favor: he's older than most of his competition, he'll likely be playing with Phillips and Huberdeau on a stacked team, and he was already close to a PPG at the NCAA level. I expect him to do fine.

Old
12-19-2011, 05:57 PM
melinko

We need someone that watches the games to give updates on him, it will be easy to pick up empty points if hes on that line.

I'm hoping for 1.5ppg but I have doubts he will get that.

melinko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinko View Post
We need someone that watches the games to give updates on him, it will be easy to pick up empty points if hes on that line.

I'm hoping for 1.5ppg but I have doubts he will get that.
There are about 6-8 Saint John posters that frequent one or more of the boards on here. As well, all home game highlights are posted online at http://www.youtube.com/seadogstv and stationnation.blogspot.com tweets in-game analysis (our unofficial fan page).

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Saint John had NO intention of announcing this until after the WJHC. Charlie was going to quietly leave (it would have been for academic reasons officially, because he was unlikely to show up for his finals). When the news broke, both Charlie and Saint John had to think long and hard about what was the best way to handle this.

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Uncle Ed

a lot of bad info here. he didnt even take his finals yet before he left for wjc so grades werent an issue at all. he played 2nd line here so theres no difference playing 2nd in st. john. hes not a bad kid so get the character issues out of here. his numbers havent been eye popping but he is clearly always the best player on the ice and makes unbelievable plays. zucker had flashes when i saw him but not the constant force charlie is. just calm down and enjoy that you have him

Uncle Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:06 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ed View Post
a lot of bad info here. he didnt even take his finals yet before he left for wjc so grades werent an issue at all. he played 2nd line here so theres no difference playing 2nd in st. john. hes not a bad kid so get the character issues out of here. his numbers havent been eye popping but he is clearly always the best player on the ice and makes unbelievable plays. zucker had flashes when i saw him but not the constant force charlie is. just calm down and enjoy that you have him
Thanks Uncle Ed (not sarcasm). A lot of don't know about Coyle because we don't have the opportunity to watch him. So when his numbers aren't eye-popping and this latest "issue" happens, we ask questions as fans. That's all.

D U M B A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:17 AM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

We have to get Coyle signed immediately, we've got too many prospects left to get this left.

I guess now that he's in major junior I think we sign him and if we have to send him back to major junior for an over-age year.

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:20 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Wild contract chart

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:25 AM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

Nm, wrong thread.

IMO Coyle needs to be taken along slowly.

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:27 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownDefense View Post
Anyword on what Phillips' caphit is?
Just check the Phillips thread. (Post #197)

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 08:46 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Capgeek Wild Salary Cap Chart

That hasn't been updated to include Phillips yet. According to the reserve list, the Wild have 52 contracts, but 4 of them are sliding (Brodin, Bulmer, Jobke, Larsson) and therefore don't count against the 50 contract maximum.

Old
12-20-2011, 08:04 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Finally got around to writing out my thoughts on Coyle and the handling of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Per the Wild's official press release, the team does not believe it's appropriate for 19 year old college students to be taken from their school mid-season and brought to our AHL affiliate.
You would think that they would have spoken out about that on Friday instead of having Russo sneak it in as a tidbit at the bottom of a game blog.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote