HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Blues at Predators 12/17 - A Necessary Question

Old
12-18-2011, 05:55 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
Last night, I had bought 10 tickets together and had 7 kids with me, 3 of which were at their first game ever. Tickets ended up being in the middle of a swarm of Blues fans, who "accidently" spilt their beer down my 13 year old sisters back in the first period. Tears were shead, mean mugs were given and we (thankfullY) scoped out seats in 328 near no Blues fans. Not the best game played but thank goodness for the outcome. Karma.

I'm sick of the trash from STL that make their way to our barn. I'd rather have the Red Wings in town than the Blues. At least they've accomplished something worth boasting about. Instead, they've got fans that get completely trashed and ones that trash talk while I'm holding a 3 year old and a 7 year old is making up her own cheers about "go preds" and "beat the Blues", dude, she's 7, show some class and grow the f up.
That's terrible to hear. I was drunk the time I went to St. Louis 2 years ago when we beat them there. Sorry my karma fell upon you. Of course I didn't spill any beer or cuss at anyone. The woman in front of me just told me to go back to my stills of Tennesse.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:48 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I cannot go to Blues games live for fear of being arrested. I know ONE Blues fan who is not obnoxious, and I have not seen her in years (plus she played O-Line for the Nashville Dream so she would beat the piss out of me). I honestly do not hate any other teams in the league like I hate the Blues. "Spilling" a beer on a child is beyond classless.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Broom of the System

Hate to pile on (well, not really), but I concur that Blues fans are the absolute worst visiting fans in the league. Too many negative stories to mention.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:32 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I can honesty say that I've only met one person who claims to be a Blues fan who I haven't wanted to slaughter ... and I've never seen him during a game, just at work.
those who have met me and have not found my presence appaling know a blues fan that isn't terrible. They were my pre-preds team. Lived paul cavallini and mcinnis and pronger. i'd give my left nut to have backes on this team. love the way he plays.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:37 PM
pekkaslap

My first Preds game was the home opener 2001 against the Blues. Not a pleasant experience with the blues fans sitting behind us. We were just kids trying to get into the game and they were all plastered shouting obscenities at us. I'm seeing a pattern forming here....

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:44 PM
SavageSteve

Its sad to hear since I was once a Blues fan many years ago before I went 'native' after moving to Nashville as the friends I grew up with from StL refer to it. The truth is about the Blues fans, is that they have always been a sort of blue-collar, union brewery-worker/Teamster/Roughneck kind of thing in St. Louis where up till when Brett Hull emerged, $25 got you seats on the glass. The old days had more fights in the stands between visiting Hawks/Wings/Stars fans and Blues fans than on the ice and was not really considered 'family entertainment'. Basically if you had the gumption to set foot in the enemy building w/ your sweater on, you'd should be ready for all comers. The first game I went to there was in the 80's at the old Arena/Checkerdome and the visiting team came in from behind the goal under a plywood box that Blues fans would pound on and scream at the opposition as they entered and left the ice. Although the prices went up and the clientele have changed a bit, the mentality really hasn't changed for the hard-core fans. I've had a couple of Blues and Hawks fans sit by me in 304 that I really wanted to push down the steps; but I found a way to deal with it and dish it back to them where they'd laugh and shake my hand in the end. We just can't let ourselves be intimidated; but when little kids get harassed really would have set me off.

I know at LP Field they have a way to text in reports about unruly fans, is there a way they could do that at the Bridge? I know I can handle myself; but if I have my kids w/ me, I really don't want them involved in an altercation...

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
Slake , just saw some of your remarks on twitter last night about the forwards being low in the dz? And some other comments. Would love for you to expand a little so I can understand a little better.
Also wonder if what you are mentioning is a player adjusting during a game ,

coach adjusting within a game.., or
It was more a byproduct of the long sustained cycles the Blues had in our end. With our style of defensive coverage (same one used by 80% of the league) as a team continues to cycle the puck low the forwards who are out covering the points begin to collapse deeper into the zone to provide less room for the offense to work within and keep the puck low. The problem occurs though when the defense gets the puck and moves it up to the strongside winger when he is 15' below the blueline because he then really has limited options and St. Louis was doing their best to take them away.

Essentially, what we were seeing on a lot of those failed clears was the defense moving the puck up to the wing after sustained pressure in our end, but St. Louis having a defenseman back on the wall and a high forward (F3) moving and in position to eliminate time and space from our winger or be in position to cover for the defenseman if he pinched up. What it resulted in was a lot of weak chips up the boards that simply became turnovers because of St. Louis's positioning and pressure. That prolonged many of the attacks and lead to some of the shot disparity (6 PP's to none was a bigger factor).

I think the other thing I mentioned was the forwards not opening up to provide the defensemen outlets for a pass out of the zone. On several occasions each period I saw the defense or even our center down low get control of the puck only to look up and see only the numbers on the back of his teammates jerseys. Weber's late 3rd period icing resulted from Wilson going for a skate up the middle of the ice and never opening up, Kostitsyn did it to Klein in the 2nd, and there were a few other cases I can remember where we failed to clear the zone because the D simply had no one to pass to.

Give St. Louis a lot of credit. They are a very talented team that is working hard under Ken Hitchcock. They brought a lot of energy and worked as a team to apply pressure on the Predators all night long in all three zones. We limited a lot of their shots to the outside and didn't allow them to get to many rebounds for second chance opportunities, but still Pekka Rinne has been the difference in both of our meetings against St. Louis this season and I'm hoping the team continues to make adjustments to lessen the burden on him as the season continues.

FWIW, I was disappointed with Ryan Reaves turning down McGrattan twice in the first period last night. In the first meeting of the season the Blues came out and finished hits all over the rink and when Stortini was called upon to fight back he got knocked down by Reaves and the Blues just hammered away at us all night long. That game lead to the acquisition of McGrattan and he knows it. On the first shift he challenged Reaves and Reaves wouldn't even look at him and later in the period he flat out declined after McGrattan took a run at him and hit a couple other Blues. While I don't blame Reaves for not going, it seems to me to be a cheap way of admitting that we're going to do this and I'm not going to fight you for the right to do this.

Overall though, the Predators have got to get tougher as a team to play with St. Louis and not wilt under their pressure for 60 minutes. Pekka Rinne was the difference last night and that's why he's earned his extension, but he's gotta get more help...

Been very impressed by the play of Kevin Klein and Nick Spaling the past week.

Klein played 22:30 last night, attempted a team-high 7 shots on goal, had 2 hits, 2 takeaways, 0 giveaways, and a blocked shot. Spaling played 19+ minutes, had a shot on goal, blocked a shot, 2 hits, 2 takeaways, 0 giveaways, and won 15 of 19 faceoffs he took.

Good to see them both playing well during this streak...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:13 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

This was the first Preds game I've attended in a good little while. I'm happy that we got the win...but this was honestly another game that we took from our opponent. While Trotz was right when he said that the chances were closer than the shots, I really don't like how many games I've seen turn into this.

We have GOT to improve puck possession. We show flashes of brilliance (and it worked for us last night....but damn...if we keep this up, it can't be good for us.

I like it when we actually take the puck into the zone...rather than the simple dump and chase. Certain guys are giving good effort throughout...but a number of our big names are really just sleeping through the first two just to wake up in the third...that's simply not going to work if we go down 2+ early on. Somehow it has worked...but wow.

If we play the whole game like we're playing the 3rd...and not taking stupid penalties...we'll be winning these in regulation...early. Instead, we're playing with fire. Anyhow, I'm happy with the outcome. Good times for the Preds...but it's tough on the fans.

And the Blues fans weren't too bad. There was a little friendly jawing back and forth (I was in 303...and there were some Blues fans there)...but nothing nasty. We have to remember that we do the same thing when we bring road fans. Just trying to make it a rowdy atmosphere on the road. No harm, no foul.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 07:35 AM
glenngineer

Had a father and son who are Blues fans next to us at the game the other night and they were really cool. Sat and enjoyed the game with no fan fare. Me on the other hand, I was my normal obnoxious self. Every time I heard a Let's Go Blues yell I yelled back Go Home Blues. I think that would be fun to get going to shut those annoying M' F'ers up. Then again, the guys next to me were so cool so I had no problem with them and kind of felt bad since the other Blues fans mess it up for the rest of us.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Reviled
Partisan

The problem when dealing with ******* visiting fans in the correct fashion is that the surrounding Nashville fans will gladly throw you under the bus; preferring to play the martyr, stoicly suffering the abuse, turning the other cheek and all that higher moral standard crap. You instantly become the villain and the AVF becomes a saint. Its just more of the same faux genteel appeasement mentality prevalent in our socienty today.

Reviled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:23 PM
sighthndlady

I like the idea of 303 getting a "Go Home Blues" chant going. They could even get the crowd practicing before the game. It's great that the Blues bring a good visiting fan base, and it makes the Bridge even louder that usual (if that's possible). It is a shame that some of them can't behave, because most of them are just loud and rowdy, which is fine. We can be louder and rowdier - it's our barn.

One big positive from the game - the Preds played better as the game went on.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:23 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

There are only two things that opposing fans can do that really piss me off.

-Using excessive profanity and/or inappropriate gestures. We all know some adult language is going to happen at an event like this...but let's all remember that lots of kids attend these games...so dropping the F-bomb isn't cool.

-Chanting something other than the true lyrics to the National Anthem. It's the National Anthem. I don't care what you do as your own tradition in your own city...but we don't alter the lyrics to honor our team. Why? Because it's the National Anthem. You don't hear Maple Leafs fans changing "O Canada" to "O Toronto." Respect thy country. Cheering...singing along...is acceptable. Changing lyrics or booing....is not.

Old
12-19-2011, 05:27 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
One big positive from the game - the Preds played better as the game went on.
Well, considering how horrid the first period was (from an offensive standpoint), that wasn't too hard to do.

Seriously. Hard to not improve when you have 2 shots on goal in a period.

Old
12-20-2011, 08:28 AM
PhoneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
There are only two things that opposing fans can do that really piss me off.

-Using excessive profanity and/or inappropriate gestures. We all know some adult language is going to happen at an event like this...but let's all remember that lots of kids attend these games...so dropping the F-bomb isn't cool.
+1. I will have to add here though that the language can get a bit rough from the college kids on college night, especially after they've had quite a few. I've had to remind some of them of the little ears around them.

Quote:
-Chanting something other than the true lyrics to the National Anthem. It's the National Anthem. I don't care what you do as your own tradition in your own city...but we don't alter the lyrics to honor our team. Why? Because it's the National Anthem. You don't hear Maple Leafs fans changing "O Canada" to "O Toronto." Respect thy country. Cheering...singing along...is acceptable. Changing lyrics or booing....is not.
+1,000,000,000,000 . Also included in this for me is the idiot(s) who for some reason feel compelled to channel their inner Ric Flair and give a "WHOOOOOOOOO!!!" between verses or after the high note at the end. FWIW, I'd love to hear the whole barn singing along, like the Canadians do to "O Canada".

We had some Blues fans sitting in front of us who had a vevezula. Every time they blew the three note sequence for their chant, we'd yell "Let's go Preds!". I did tell the young lass that she kept forgetting the last two syallables...it should go "Let's go Pred-a-tors"..

PhoneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:12 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I agree with dropping F-bombs or other words/phrases that are particularly crude being a bad idea. Something else that bugs me, however, is when you have that one person who is overly sensitive. I went to a game a couple of seasons ago. It was against the Blues. We sat in Section 303. I said, and I am not softening this at all, "Come on... get the damn puck" after watching the team hemmed in their own zone for an entire shift and then some. That's it. I said "damn", and I didn't even really shout it. A young lady a couple of rows down turned to me and asked, "Can you watch the language? This man brought his two year old to his first game." Sure enough there was a gentleman with a young boy sitting in his lap. Now, had I known that to begin with I would have likely just avoided curse words all together, but this guy has to take some responsibility, too. If you are that sensitive you shouldn't bring your child to Section 303. The couple behind me were letting loose with obscenities that would have made George Carlin think "wait... if this game really THAT important?"

I try to do my part by scanning the area for young kids within ear shot. Aside from just keeping it completely G rated, which isn't impossible but can be difficult once I get into the game, that's all I can do. Parents need to do their part.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:23 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneGuy View Post
We had some Blues fans sitting in front of us who had a vevezula. Every time they blew the three note sequence for their chant, we'd yell "Let's go Preds!". I did tell the young lass that she kept forgetting the last two syallables...it should go "Let's go Pred-a-tors"..
We kept asking the Blues fans why they kept chanting "Let's go lose!"...that brought on some interesting looks from them, and some laughs from the Preds fans in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I agree with dropping F-bombs or other words/phrases that are particularly crude being a bad idea. Something else that bugs me, however, is when you have that one person who is overly sensitive. I went to a game a couple of seasons ago. It was against the Blues. We sat in Section 303. I said, and I am not softening this at all, "Come on... get the damn puck" after watching the team hemmed in their own zone for an entire shift and then some. That's it. I said "damn", and I didn't even really shout it. A young lady a couple of rows down turned to me and asked, "Can you watch the language? This man brought his two year old to his first game." Sure enough there was a gentleman with a young boy sitting in his lap. Now, had I known that to begin with I would have likely just avoided curse words all together, but this guy has to take some responsibility, too. If you are that sensitive you shouldn't bring your child to Section 303. The couple behind me were letting loose with obscenities that would have made George Carlin think "wait... if this game really THAT important?"

I try to do my part by scanning the area for young kids within ear shot. Aside from just keeping it completely G rated, which isn't impossible but can be difficult once I get into the game, that's all I can do. Parents need to do their part.
The way I look at it...I know that people bring their kids to the games...but they should know what they are exposing their kids to. Yes, it should be a family friendly environment...but not everything about it is so. Think about the action on the ice...the big hits, fights, and potential injuries, where a player is down on the ice for a while, that can happen during the game. What is THAT compared to some mild language that you could hear in any restaurant, or out walking on the street?

If you don't feel it's appropriate for your children to be around anything like that, then they shouldn't even be at the game! It's NOT a G-rated atmosphere. But we can keep it at PG...and hope that any PG-13 moments are kept to a minimum. As parents, they should know better in regards to what they can and can't control.