Teemu quacks the scoresheet, Jets beat Ducks anyway 5-3

Old
12-18-2011, 05:10 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Really reminds me of Kovalchuk but left handed.

The way he would pick apart that opposite side top cheese was amazing and Burmi's last night was a reflection of that.
Yeah, it surprised me cause I haven't seen him do that in a game before, I don't think. At least not like that. I know he could do it because he practices it every time during warm-ups, but it was nice to see him finally get one in.

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Prot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
You're kidding yourself if things like this just pop up after one or two incidences. And why question the kid when he's performing like he is?
I could easily flip this and say 'You're kidding yourself if you believe everything you hear.'

All I am saying is I prefer something substantial. Not stuff like "I heard he didn't like his wings and wouldn't pay for them."

What the heck is that? Give me a break.

I didn't like a steak I ordered from Moxies once. I told them so. They actually refused to let me pay for it! True story.

How do we know it isn't some teenage waiter who didn't get tipped?

I refuse to brand someone based on this level of rumourmilling. That's all I am saying. I've seen it too often go both ways. I'm not blind to it being a potential reality. I think I'm saying I need more than a bad serving of wings, and a 'Tweet' from his manager to bury his reputation.

Call me naive if you wish.

Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
I could easily flip this and say 'You're kidding yourself if you believe everything you hear.'

All I am saying is I prefer something substantial. Not stuff like "I heard he didn't like his wings and wouldn't pay for them."

I didn't like a steak I ordered from Moxies once. I told them so. They actually refused to let me pay for it! True story.

I refuse to brand someone based on this level of rumourmilling. That's all I am saying. I've seen it too often go both ways. I'm not blind to it being a potential reality. I think I'm saying I need more than a bad serving of wings, and a 'Tweet' from his manager to bury his reputation.

The thing is you're never going to hear a substantiated confirmation of something like this. But the fact that there are multiple sources claiming almost the exact same thing it's harder to not believe it, plus I've seen it first hand.

Again it's not a big deal because he's performing on the ice and that's all that matters. Best just to drop the whole topic I think.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Jet
Tony P-ver

vCash: 50
We need to steer away from specific incidents unless there is proof from a vetted source.

General conversations about players etc. is fair game, but when you start making specific accusations without proof you are opening yourself and the site up to libel suits.

12-18-2011, 06:19 PM
LadyJet26
Lest We Forget

vCash: 1136
Quote:

The Moxies at the MTS Centre are very good; the other ones around the city ehhhh not so much. I went there for lunch one day after school when I went to the U of W and they must have been all taking their breaks and what not because I was there like 2 hours and rarely saw a waitress. I got a free dessert because I had to wait for so long to pay my bill.

I like Kane the player, so who cares if he's a dick? No one could be more of a dick than Barrasso.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

I don't care how big of a d-bag any player is, on 2 conditions:

1) He performs on the ice.
2) He doesn't disrupt the positive chemistry in the room.

So far, 1 is true of Kane. I hope 2 is as well. Negative influences in the room can be killer on a young team.

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:43 PM
jigglysquishy

First Jets game last night.

Crowd was amazing. MTS Centre is the nicest hockey rink I've been in (though that only includes WHL arenas and the Alberta rinks). I think the night peaked during the "shooting celebration" in the highlight reel. Probably the loudest live crowd I've ever heard at a sports game.

Class crowd, I gotta tell ya. Everyone was friendly and easy to handle. Must say, I left with a very positive impression of the team, city and its fans.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Prot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
First Jets game last night.

Crowd was amazing. MTS Centre is the nicest hockey rink I've been in (though that only includes WHL arenas and the Alberta rinks). I think the night peaked during the "shooting celebration" in the highlight reel. Probably the loudest live crowd I've ever heard at a sports game.

Class crowd, I gotta tell ya. Everyone was friendly and easy to handle. Must say, I left with a very positive impression of the team, city and its fans.

That's awesome. I don't know how easy it is to get tickets, but good for you.

I find even with a half season I have trouble not being selfish. I try to take as many friends as possible and have given up a few sets.

But it makes it a bit easier hearing a good experience like this.

Old
12-18-2011, 11:24 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksnWpg View Post
I like Kane the player, so who cares if he's a dick? No one could be more of a dick than Barrasso.
I think it's actually timely that this is discussed after Teemu came back to Winnipeg. We probably all agree that Teemu is one of the classiest Winnipeg Jets of all time, and one of the classiest NHL players of all time. But remember Teemu spent a couple years serving in the Finnish military. He wasn't simply thrust into the big money of the NHL as a teenager. Then there was Keith Tkachuk who the organization that moved the Jets 1.0 to Phoenix ultimately traded Selanne away in order to keep. Tkachuk had reputation as a bit of a ****** as well, but he's since grown up and matured and married a Winnipeger and retired. Tkachuk also started at a really young age. So if some younger players get big heads and start acting like NBA players, obviously we'd prefer it didn't happen, but I don't think it should be taken as an indictment of said player forever.

If the things said about Kane have any basis in reality, that'd be disappointing. Not because they cast him in a bad light, but because they just come across as the result of poor communication skills, not outright douchiness. Of course there are celebrities who make a lot of money off of twitter! But do they really do their own soliciting? I find it unlikely that Justin Bieber is personally talking to Kotex Tampons to mention them on his twitter feed. (Which I'm assuming he does). And like someone mentioned earlier, if your food is bad, talk to the waiter and they'll usually do something about it. It's not bad form to complain about your food if its not up to standards. It's bad form to wait and then say I'm not paying for it. Though certainly, etiquette states that if your food isn't good, you don't have to tip, even if you're a millionaire hockey player.

Certainly Teemu went above and beyond what he had to do, and he was adored and kept in the hearts of Winnipegers for two decades. Hopefully he's seen by other Jets and NHL players in general as a role model to follow.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:40 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

You guys make it sound as if Kane is acting differently than almost all professional athletes in all major league sports.

I'm sure he has a big ego and is self-absorbed to some extent - in fact I'd be surprised if he wasn't.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Hawker14

Any Jets that don't think their rock stars, don't thrash hotel rooms, and don't act in offensive manners do not deserve to call our fine city home.

Rock on, Mr. Kane.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:01 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker14 View Post
Any Jets that don't think their rock stars, thrash hotel rooms, and generally act in an offensive manner do not deserve to call our fine city home.

Rock on, Mr. Kane.

I see what you did there.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 02:18 AM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

my prediction is that in 10 years we will look back on kane as being the keith tkatchuk of jets 2.0....

his 'handlers' are a bunch of high school buddies right out of the tv show entourage....riding his coattails for everything they can get.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 02:20 AM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

was a great game...the first 5 minutes was one of the highlights of my sports viewing life for sure.....very emotional.

i felt bad in the first intermission....stood behind thomas steen in line with 50 other shlubs....nobody was talking to him....he was just one of the crowd.....selanne played 3 years here and he is being treated like a God....steen played 14 seasons for the jets, raised his family here and still lives here....he is a winnipegger....yet he stands in like like the rest of waiting to take a pee.

kind of made me sad.

Old
12-19-2011, 04:49 AM
BrianSTC

I went to a game that Thomas Steen was at before. Although I didn't see him myself, the fans around him were chanting his name. I think he does get shown appreciation. The fact the he waits in line with the rest of us folk is awesome though. He continues to be one of my favourite Jets!!

BrianSTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Moe Mantha

If anyone can find footage of Dancing Gabe being interviewed by Finnish television, can you post it? Pretty sure I was in the background!

Moe Mantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:09 PM
ps241
Get on board Sip :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
was a great game...the first 5 minutes was one of the highlights of my sports viewing life for sure.....very emotional.

i felt bad in the first intermission....stood behind thomas steen in line with 50 other shlubs....nobody was talking to him....he was just one of the crowd.....selanne played 3 years here and he is being treated like a God....steen played 14 seasons for the jets, raised his family here and still lives here....he is a winnipegger....yet he stands in like like the rest of waiting to take a pee.

kind of made me sad.
good post Peter it was a special night and really fun to be a part of. I am guessing with Thomas he probably feels allot of love but gets it day by day.....Teemu has a special place in people’s hearts but I think allot of Saturday night also had to do with scarcity. Why and how he left is well documented but the fact remains the town and Teemu never got to say goodbye so we had that 1000 points of light night when everyone was at the same place and time for the same reason. Thomas gets the death by 1000 paper cuts (or love in his case) on a daily basis.

Also with Teemu he has the outgoing honest charisma. I was talking to a relative last night and he shared a nice Selanne story. In November he was in California for a hockey tournament with his son and his son took a Selanne jersey because the kids were going to a ducks game and he was hoping to get it signed. It turns out by chance Teemu's boy was playing in the same tournament as my relatives son. So my relative introduced himself to Teemu and told him he was from Winnipeg and that his son would love to get his jersey signed but understood if Teemu just wanted to watch his son and not be bothered. Teemu was great and said "i would love to sign it". Turns out the kid did not have the jersey there that day but they brought it to the final the next day. The day of the final the boys dad was reluctant to make the walk of shame because the final was his boys team from Canada vs Teemu's boys team and the game was really intense and it was a bit rough and the Canadian team asserting themselves physically. As anyone who has been at a kids game knows the two camps or parents usually don't mix and mingle but my friend had promised his son so he sheepishly walked over to get a quick jersey signed and try not to bother a father watching his kid in the final. when he got there he said "if this isn't a good time I get it" and Teemu said don't be crazy i would love to sign the jersey. After Teemu signed my relative was ready to bolt and Teemu literally put a hand on his shoulder to stop him and said "hey where are you going, sit down for a minute I would like to talk" My relative sat down and said they talked for awhile and it was just like being with a buddy this was in November and Teemu was full of questions about Winnipeg......"how is the city doing with the team back"....."what do you think about the new logo"....."how are the games at the MTS centre I am hearing they are loud"......my relative said Teemu was very anxious at that point about his return game and didn't know how it was going to go?

I guess the moral of the story is that is why Winnipeg loves this guy.....its not just smile for the photo op while you put one sand bag on a pile during a flood and then hop back on your jet to Ottawa......Teemu is authentic and he loves the Peg and the Peg loves him.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
good post Peter it was a special night and really fun to be a part of. I am guessing with Thomas he probably feels allot of love but gets it day by day.....Teemu has a special place in people’s hearts but I think allot of Saturday night also had to do with scarcity. Why and how he left is well documented but the fact remains the town and Teemu never got to say goodbye so we had that 1000 points of light night when everyone was at the same place and time for the same reason. Thomas gets the death by 1000 paper cuts (or love in his case) on a daily basis.

Also with Teemu he has the outgoing honest charisma. I was talking to a relative last night and he shared a nice Selanne story. In November he was in California for a hockey tournament with his son and his son took a Selanne jersey because the kids were going to a ducks game and he was hoping to get it signed. It turns out by chance Teemu's boy was playing in the same tournament as my relatives son. So my relative introduced himself to Teemu and told him he was from Winnipeg and that his son would love to get his jersey signed but understood if Teemu just wanted to watch his son and not be bothered. Teemu was great and said "i would love to sign it". Turns out the kid did not have the jersey there that day but they brought it to the final the next day. The day of the final the boys dad was reluctant to make the walk of shame because the final was his boys team from Canada vs Teemu's boys team and the game was really intense and it was a bit rough and the Canadian team asserting themselves physically. As anyone who has been at a kids game knows the two camps or parents usually don't mix and mingle but my friend had promised his son so he sheepishly walked over to get a quick jersey signed and try not to bother a father watching his kid in the final. when he got there he said "if this isn't a good time I get it" and Teemu said don't be crazy i would love to sign the jersey. After Teemu signed my relative was ready to bolt and Teemu literally put a hand on his shoulder to stop him and said "hey where are you going, sit down for a minute I would like to talk" My relative sat down and said they talked for awhile and it was just like being with a buddy this was in November and Teemu was full of questions about Winnipeg......"how is the city doing with the team back"....."what do you think about the new logo"....."how are the games at the MTS centre I am hearing they are loud"......my relative said Teemu was very anxious at that point about his return game and didn't know how it was going to go?

I guess the moral of the story is that is why Winnipeg loves this guy.....its not just smile for the photo op while you put one sand bag on a pile during a flood and then hop back on your jet to Ottawa......Teemu is authentic and he loves the Peg and the Peg loves him.
That's an awesome story! One of many about Teemu.... quite the guy.... not sure when Anahein had to fly out of here, but hopefully Teemu got some time to spend with his family here and visit some of his old friends, just to make it an even better visit for him and his family...I'm sure they were all pretty impressed with the big reception by the fans Saturday night... might have to change my avatar - I think THAT volume beat Little's goal against Boston

Back in the Bigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 01:12 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

a co-worker of mine has a similar story....he went down to LA for a football tournament with his son and the whole team went to a ducks game...somehow teemu heard that there was a bunch of kids from winnipeg in the crowd and he made a special trip out after the game to find them and talk to them personally....spent 15 minutes chatting and signing stuff.....this was last year, before we had the team secured...he told them if we got a team he would come back and play one game for them...

PS, i think i had your wife's friend's husband beside me at the game...i had to tell him that i dont think the players can hear him.....constant narration of every play....very annoying.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Prot

Awesome stories guys.

Teemu's the real deal.....

I don't have a real story, I just remember back in 1.0 days I got an actual poster signed by him in that rookie year when he broke the record (actually my father in law did).

I think it was after a loss. Apparently Domi was pretty rude.... some players really didn't want to sign, but guess who did?

I still have that mounted poster hanging in the man-cave.

Last edited by Prot: 12-19-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old
12-19-2011, 01:27 PM
ps241
Get on board Sip :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
a co-worker of mine has a similar story....he went down to LA for a football tournament with his son and the whole team went to a ducks game...somehow teemu heard that there was a bunch of kids from winnipeg in the crowd and he made a special trip out after the game to find them and talk to them personally....spent 15 minutes chatting and signing stuff.....this was last year, before we had the team secured...he told them if we got a team he would come back and play one game for them...

PS, i think i had your wife's friend's husband beside me at the game...i had to tell him that i dont think the players can hear him.....constant narration of every play....very annoying.
really cool story about Teemu Peter

Yea the NON STOP coaching of the Capitals from the stands was painful and really embarrassing for me..... cheering would have been cool but I came close to bailing after the 1st period or at least finding a bar for some shots to medicate myself to the appropriate level to endure the pain

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 01:32 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Awesome stories guys.

Teemu's the real deal.....

I don't have a real story, I just remember back in 1.0 days I got an actual poster signed by him in that rookie year when he broke the record (actually my father in law did).

I think it was after a loss. Apparently Domi was pretty rude.... some players really didn't want to sign, but guess who did?

I still have that mounted posted hanging in the man-cave.
Domi was a real ****** off the ice.

sipowicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Prot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Domi was a real ****** off the ice.
Yea, I realize this in talking to my Father-in-law who had several complaints about Domi..... If you ever get him going, he'll go on a 2 hour rant on Domi. It's quite entertaining once you get past the fact that he's mostly harmless... mostly.