HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 All Purpose Kings Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2011, 01:27 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
any trade for Iginla that involves an existing prospect or draft pick is just a waste. only smart move for him is involving roster players that are considered moveable. if that isn't enough then so be it. trading for a 34-year old forward and giving away the future makes NO sense.

if the DL and DS combo make this move it will be one nail in their coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
It's not a waste. I don't do it this year, largely because we have bigger fish to fry right now, but if we were only one piece away in DL's eye (which I hope he doesn't think that now) you go out make the deal. I'd rather see us go for it if we are one piece away than protect the future. We've only been close once in 44 years. If DL thinks he got us to the point where we are close again, kudos to him and go ahead, balls out man.
How about if Sutter greatly improved our chances for the cup? Don't you think then it would be worth the risk of making the final push by adding an Iggy? I wouldn't hesitate to move some (not all) of our prospects to acquire an Iggy, but that's just me.

Last edited by The Black1963: 12-19-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old
12-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Fat Elvis

I think you guys are crazy for wanting to trade that much for Iginla now. You just don't trade that much for a guy his age. Looks very similar to how the Kings were run in the 90's when they traded young talent for all of Wayne's buddies. How did that work out? I disagree with trading for a well worn 36 yr old, at least for the packages you've been tossing around. Hope they look elsewhere.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
I think you guys are crazy for wanting to trade that much for Iginla now. You just don't trade that much for a guy his age. Looks very similar to how the Kings were run in the 90's when they traded young talent for all of Wayne's buddies. How did that work out? I disagree with trading for a well worn 36 yr old, at least for the packages you've been tossing around. Hope they look elsewhere.
I agree. I think all this talk about Iginla is funny. If anything this team should be targeting good players in their late twenties...prime aged or a little younger.

We have a young core of guys in Kopitar, Richards, Quick, Johnson, and Doughty. You get them a guy around similar age and let them grow up together so to speak.

Iginla would cost too much, and his best years are behind him, even though he is still a great player.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:28 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

It really depends on how much for Iggy, but I would definitely do:

Bernier
Amart
Williams
1st

for

Iggy

That probably won't be enough from calgary's pov, but that's pretty fmv to slight overpayment imo.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:42 PM
SuperAlmeida

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post

Bernier
Amart
Williams
1st

for

Iggy

That probably won't be enough from calgary's pov, but that's pretty fmv to slight overpayment imo.
No way I would do that! We need our 1st round pick!

Old
12-19-2011, 02:49 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
No way I would do that! We need our 1st round pick!
I dont see the 1st as being a deal breaker. Bernier is the piece that I would have difficulty parting with, but in order to get an Iggy, that would be the going price imo.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:15 PM
johnjm22

I don't want to trade away "futures" until we see how things turn out under Sutter. If the team keeps playing the way they are now, that first round pick could be Yakupov.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:35 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
How about if Sutter greatly improved our chances for the cup? Don't you think then it would be worth the risk of making the final push by adding an Iggy? I wouldn't hesitate to move some (not all) of our prospects to acquire an Iggy, but that's just me.
And if that happens I'd look at it then. I'm talking about right now. Iggy would be nice, but this team isn't going anywhere with a 1993 Wayne Gretzky as things stand, nevermind Iggy Pop. If DS sorts out the internal issues and gets this team playing well prior to the trade deadline, then I'd consider it.

Quote:
I'm not sure if I'm one of the guys you are diretcting this towards, but if so, I'd like to state I've never said I want us to actually get Iggy. Rather, i said that's how much it would cost. Whether I agree with that depends on whether or not I think this team can get over that hump and be a cup contender by adding Iggy. If so, then yes I do support it. I want to see us go for a cup for the first time in 15 years (which is when we stopped trying to be cup contenders and never really got back to being that at any point) and go for it. I'm not convinced if now is the right time, as I posted above, but if it is, yes, by all means go get Iggy, even if the price is high.

Quote:

Bernier
Amart
Williams
1st

for

Iggy

It might be a slight overpayment, or even a slight underpayment, but that's pretty good on market value. Penner fetched a 1st, 3rd and decent prospect, which to me is equal value-wise to Bernier and A-Mart now. So you are adding Williams and a 1st to get Iggy. Sounds realistic.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:

Bernier
Amart
Williams
1st

for

Iggy

huge overpayment for a 36 year old forward that has $7M per season cap hit for this season and next. i recall people skeptical and shying away during the Kovalchuk sweepstakes for this same type of move. "to much, to old" kept being uttered by many.

to trade that much for him is gross mismanagement imo.

-AMart at this point i liken to when LA traded away Sydor, similar games, similar skillset. Syd (a 1st himself) and a #5 landed Churla & Zmolek - two roster vets. total bonehead trade. HUGE overpayment by LA.

-Bernier still very unproven at the NHL level. a 1st rounder himself. needs GP and minutes to truly let LA establish his value, but consensus is he will be a #1. where is the question.

-Williams i am fine with. helps CAL reduce salary and get younger, while receiving a top 6 RW to replace Iggy with.

-LA's 1st. HELL NO. total overpayment. DL has already sent too many 1st and 2nd picks out. a team's future is based on their 1st and 2nd rounders, guys picked after these rounds have a big decrease in even making it to the NHL. continuing to trade away the future lifeblood of the Kings is foolhardy. doing it for a 36-year is even worse

i look at a package of JB, Amart and the 1st as a package of essentially 3 first rounders. yes i think AMart has the value to rate that high. he has certainly shown to have as much if not more game than other 1st - 4th round D-men. 2007 (AMart's class) Subban, Alzner, Hickey went before him. AMart has made as much impact as Alzner (1st) in just one season. Subban is the one leading the pack here. Hickey still is a no show. from the 2006 class E Johnson (1) and J McBain (2), are ahead of him in GP and Pts, but in time he likely would catch up to McBain if he got PP minutes like McBain.

for a 4th round pick AMart has put together a very good resume in just a season and half. one that isn't quite to the level of E Johnson, but certainly as good if not better than many others drafted higher than he was. i would love for LA to keep him, but VV has made him a tradeable asset. hell one could say they are both tradeable, depending on the team and player in question. both kids look great. AMArt is an asset that should give LA a better return than just one 36-year old forward

Old
12-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Nex06

Quote:
huge overpayment for a 36 year old forward that has $7M per season cap hit for this season and next.
Spot on. I would demand Lombardi's contract to be terminated the day after the trade. Joining the Deano Bash Gang.

Old
12-19-2011, 04:08 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
Spot on. I would demand Lombardi's contract to be terminated the day after the trade. Joining the Deano Bash Gang.
Yeah, if he does something that stupid he should be run out of town on a rail.

Old
12-19-2011, 04:23 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
huge overpayment for a 36 year old forward that has $7M per season cap hit for this season and next. i recall people skeptical and shying away during the Kovalchuk sweepstakes for this same type of move. "to much, to old" kept being uttered by many.

to trade that much for him is gross mismanagement imo.

-AMart at this point i liken to when LA traded away Sydor, similar games, similar skillset. Syd (a 1st himself) and a #5 landed Churla & Zmolek - two roster vets. total bonehead trade. HUGE overpayment by LA.

-Bernier still very unproven at the NHL level. a 1st rounder himself. needs GP and minutes to truly let LA establish his value, but consensus is he will be a #1. where is the question.

-Williams i am fine with. helps CAL reduce salary and get younger, while receiving a top 6 RW to replace Iggy with.

-LA's 1st. HELL NO. total overpayment. DL has already sent too many 1st and 2nd picks out. a team's future is based on their 1st and 2nd rounders, guys picked after these rounds have a big decrease in even making it to the NHL. continuing to trade away the future lifeblood of the Kings is foolhardy. doing it for a 36-year is even worse

i look at a package of JB, Amart and the 1st as a package of essentially 3 first rounders. yes i think AMart has the value to rate that high. he has certainly shown to have as much if not more game than other 1st - 4th round D-men. 2007 (AMart's class) Subban, Alzner, Hickey went before him. AMart has made as much impact as Alzner (1st) in just one season. Subban is the one leading the pack here. Hickey still is a no show. from the 2006 class E Johnson (1) and J McBain (2), are ahead of him in GP and Pts, but in time he likely would catch up to McBain if he got PP minutes like McBain.

for a 4th round pick AMart has put together a very good resume in just a season and half. one that isn't quite to the level of E Johnson, but certainly as good if not better than many others drafted higher than he was. i would love for LA to keep him, but VV has made him a tradeable asset. hell one could say they are both tradeable, depending on the team and player in question. both kids look great. AMArt is an asset that should give LA a better return than just one 36-year old forward
I like Amart as much as you do, perhaps even more as I think he's going to be better than Sydor. But bottomline is, his value is only going to go down being a healthy scratch. And believe me, there's no one from other teams that's going to think that he's first round worthy.

Amart fmv = 2nd maybe 2nd & 5th
Williams fmv = 2nd & 3rd or a very low 1st
Bernier fmv = low 1st
1st = low 1st assuming we make great strides under DS

So, it basically boils down to Iginla for two low 1sts, couple of 2nds, a 3rd and a 5th.

Old
12-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
So, it basically boils down to Iginla for two low 1sts, couple of 2nds, a 3rd and a 5th.
That's way too much IMO for Iginla. I just don't see his value being anywhere close to that at his age. You need to think about Iginla today, tomorrow and next year. Not Iginla in the past. I just don't see him as productive as he once was. I'd avoid trading for him and look for a younger option.

Old
12-19-2011, 04:50 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
That's way too much IMO for Iginla. I just don't see his value being anywhere close to that at his age. You need to think about Iginla today, tomorrow and next year. Not Iginla in the past. I just don't see him as productive as he once was. I'd avoid trading for him and look for a younger option.
I understand your concern about his age, but you're talking about a 34 yo (not 36), who netted 43 goals just last year. And it isnt as if he's having a terrible year this year. He's got 12 g, 24 pts on a terrible Calgary team. I just think reuniting Iginla with DS will not only rejuvenate his career but prolong it. I honestly think he's one of those players that can play until he's 39-40 yrs old.

But like I said, I only want him if we're closer to a SC caliber team, which we clearly are not right now.

Old
12-19-2011, 05:31 PM
funky

I like Iggy a lot, but the price tag and contract scare me. This team is not close to being a contender at this point. At the trade deadline if things have changed I would be happy to look at it again. At this point I like the Grabners and Stewarts of the world, build with youth

Old
12-20-2011, 03:23 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It seems that if the Kings are to acquire a legitimate scoring winger, they are going to have to look for a team that is looking to strengthen its blueline, as the Kings have a number of potentially desirable assets on their defense.

Besides the already discussed names such as Iginla or Parise, who may not be attainable as of this moment, I decided to look at some clubs outside of the conference to identify potential trading partners and names that might make sense for the Kings to pursue.

Philadelphia Flyers:
With Pronger indefinitely out of their lineup, Philly's blueline is looking rather thin. They could make for a good trading partner and they have a very attractive forward that the Kings could use in James van Riemsdyk. The emergence of Matt Read as a top six forward coupled with the play of Sean Couturier could possibly make van Riemsdyk expendable.

New York Rangers:
The Rangers are hurting for defensemen, as they've been hit heavily with a number of injuries on their blueline. Brandon Dubinsky has struggled this season with only 1 goal and 12 assists in 30 games, but he has proven to be a 40-50 point scorer with back-to-back 20+ goal seasons the previous two years. While it is a gamble to acquire a struggling forward, the 25 year old skater could turn his fortunes around with a change of scenary.

Buffalo Sabres:
Drew Stafford has been a bit of an enigma since Buffalo drafted him in 2004. He has all the tools to be a successful winger, but he's battled issues with consistency. Last season was his breakthrough performance, eclipsing the 30-goal plateau and amassing 52 points in 62 games. This season he has 6 goals and 17 points in 31 games.

New Jersey Devils:
I'm not going to talk about Parise, but there is another forward whose name has been suggested in the past that could help the Kings' offense. I'm referring to Patrik Elias, who has 29 points in 32 games. Last season he scored 62 points, with 21 goals and 41 helpers. I think Elias is the playmaking winger who is also capable of scoring that the Kings' top six could certainly use. He's 35, but he's still producing. With another year remaining on his contract (with a NMC), it's not certain if the Devils are shopping Elias or if he'd be willing to waive his no-trade clause, but if he were to become available, I think he's a player who could really work well with either Kopitar or Richards.

Ottawa Senators:
Similar to what I wrote above, the Sens have a 39 year old winger who still produces, much like Selanne. Alfredsson has always been a consistent point producer when he's healthy and playing, and this season he has 21 points in 27 games. He is the face of the Senators, but if they are out of a playoff picture, moving him is a possibility. But again, like Elias, who knows if he would be willing to move to a new team at the deadline.

Carolina Hurricanes:
The Hurricanes are not going to be contending for a playoff spot and are looking to rebuild their team and replenish its stockpile of promising young players. Tuomo Ruutu is a soon to be UFA who very likely will garner lots of attention leading to the trade deadline. He plays an aggressive game that I find suitable under Darryl Sutter's system. He's a 50 point winger who already has 10 goals in 34 games.

Old
12-20-2011, 04:19 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
New Jersey Devils:
I'm not going to talk about Parise, but there is another forward whose name has been suggested in the past that could help the Kings' offense. I'm referring to Patrik Elias, who has 29 points in 32 games. Last season he scored 62 points, with 21 goals and 41 helpers. I think Elias is the playmaking winger who is also capable of scoring that the Kings' top six could certainly use. He's 35, but he's still producing. With another year remaining on his contract (with a NMC), it's not certain if the Devils are shopping Elias or if he'd be willing to waive his no-trade clause, but if he were to become available, I think he's a player who could really work well with either Kopitar or Richards.
There were rumors that Lombardi asked about Elias last year, but the Devils said he wasn't available.

At this point, Elias should be a lifer in New Jersey. He just broke the franchise goal record on Saturday. He's won two Cups with us and has never been a problem in the dressing room. He took less money (in exchange for an extra year) when he became a free agent in 2006.

When Travis Zajac got hurt during the summer, it was expected that he might not be back until the 30 game mark. The hope was that the Devils didn't completely implode without him. And they kept their heads above water with Henrique and Elias being the most consistent performers.

Now that Zajac's back, I can't really see the Devils trading any core guys as things started clicking the last couple of games.

Old
12-20-2011, 04:24 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Carolina Hurricanes:
The Hurricanes are not going to be contending for a playoff spot and are looking to rebuild their team and replenish its stockpile of promising young players. Tuomo Ruutu is a soon to be UFA who very likely will garner lots of attention leading to the trade deadline. He plays an aggressive game that I find suitable under Darryl Sutter's system. He's a 50 point winger who already has 10 goals in 34 games.
Carolina GM Jim Rutherford is notorious for being impatient with D (ie, the Jack Johnson trade). And in recent years, he's traded picks for former 1st rounders in Bobby Sanguinetti and Riley Nash.

So there could be a match there if Carolina wants to get cheap NHL ready talent. But I suppose it depends on whether Hickey's become devalued in management's view like Teubert.

Old
12-20-2011, 05:17 AM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:

Bernier
Amart
Williams
1st

for

Iggy

Old
12-20-2011, 05:57 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Reminds me of Darryl Sutter.

Old
12-20-2011, 02:30 PM
markisonfire

First of all, Iginla is 34, not 36. That's a pretty big difference. He scored 43 goals last year... With Olli Jokinen at center. Imagine what he could do with Kopitar or Richards - cause he did it under Sutter already.

Old
12-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Duc620

Even Canadian fans would have to start cheering for us as we marched through the playoffs if we got Iginla, it would only be right. And we'd be subject to endless sentimental videos about One Man's Journey to Destiny... during the entire playoff season. I could handle the endless videos.

I just can't handle some of these trade scenarios.

A solid NHL defender, two excellent prospects, and a draft pick or two, with a handshake n' thank you from Calgary to Iginla for all his years of service is about as deep as I'd go.

Last edited by Duc620: 12-20-2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: graphic resolution
Old
12-20-2011, 02:43 PM
funky

I would take Iggy, but the price wouldnt be as high as others want to give.

for salary reasons one of Stoll, Penner or Williams
Bernier
a pick, not a 1st

if that wasnt enough then I would pass, not going to destroy a young team that is being built to win long term for a player of that age that is making 7 mil a year.

Old
12-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
I'd love to have Alfie, but the Senators would probably look for a price similar to that of Iginla's and that isn't justifiable for the Kings. His passing and offensive movement off the puck would be an amazing fit on this team.

Old
12-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Anyone see Pierre Maguire insinuate that Dustin Brown is on the trading block on last night's NHL Overtime? I wonder if he was blowing hot air or if he actually knows/heard something?

Closed Thread