HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Letter from Molson (French)

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2011, 02:35 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
True, but what was the point of the coaching change then? JM had a long and distinguished career as a coach, if you fire him then at least get somebody clearly better than him.

IMO the real scenario is that PG is scared to death of someone like Roy who he can't control, and wanted both to calm down Molson and the fans by making a change but still retaining complete control over the situation by hiring someone indepted to him.

He failed.
The problem now is no matter how good Cunnyworth does, he is out for sure. Molson said the coach has to speak both languages.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
The problem now is no matter how good Cunnyworth does, he is out for sure. Molson said the coach has to speak both languages.
No reason to believe Molson won't go back on his word. Or that might just be my wishful thinking.

Old
Randomhero

Would have been pretty funny if he released this statement in English only

Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Good for G. Molson not backing down. If the media isn't happy, they can go follow another team

Old
Toro

Unbelievable all the redneck French are up in arms over the coach lol. I'm more than half French and am disgusted with all the talk of boycotts etc. If you can't see that JM lost the room your blind. RC knows the guys and is perfect guy for remainder of season

Old
12-19-2011, 02:38 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomhero View Post
I loled

Old
12-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Unbelievable all the redneck French are up in arms over the coach lol. I'm more than half French and am disgusted with all the talk of boycotts etc. If you can't see that JM lost the room your blind. RC knows the guys and is perfect guy for remainder of season
This is politics, and media rarely bother to gauge the mood of the people when asserting their own views.

This is a media issue, not one the average fan thinks about.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Thanks, but I can't agree with you either. I'm one of the many that thinks that this French requirement is only going to continue holding us back. I'm 100% bilingual and I respect Quebec's special status amongst the provinces in terms of culture and language, but that means diddly squat when it comes to winning hockey games. The most games this franchise ever won were with an anglophone coach behind the bench because they were the *best*. The Bowmans, the Blakes...not saying we need an anglophone coach to accomplish that, we just need the best available, PERIOD.

My rant above is nothing new and has been regurgitated time and time again, but the fact Molson thinks we need a bilingual coach, and not the best available one, is incredibly disappointing to me, politics or not.
Wrong example here, Bowman is fully bilingual, was born and raised in Verdun... I do agree though, best coach available, period.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:43 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
First of all it's discrimination, not racism.

Secondly, don't put us all in the same basket.

And last of all, the coaches you mention speak both languages so it's a moot point. If Vancouver hired a coach who couldn't speak english I wonder how much of a ****storm it would raise.
Not the same. While Canada is a bilingual country English is the dominant language. Everyone in this country understands/speaks english for the most part. Not everyone speaks/understands French. English is the dominant language of the world.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Sounds like Geoff just completely threw Cunneyworth under the bus though. I'm not sure this is fair. If I was Cunneyworth, I'd probably step aside. He's basically been told he has no shot of coaching beyond this year. If that's the case, and I believe it is, he should of never been hired in the first place. I feel bad for him tbh.

I get the whole french culture thing, but I still feel bad for Cunneyworth getting played like a fiddle here.
Would he be better off as the career AHL coach he was before this year? He's getting exposure and experience that is invaluable and nobody blames him directly. This clearly is PG and Molson's fault, but who knows, he may guide the team to an incredible turnaround and actually earn the job but I'm not holding my breath. Worse case scenario for him is getting another assistant job next year with the habs or another team.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Pascal

What a PR move by Molson and way to give Cunneyworth a SMASHING endorsement for next year... and lol @ RDS with "Geoff Molson, a réagi au vent de critiques qui a balayé son organisation depuis la nomination de Randy Cunneyworth"

Really? Maybe from a small % of French Fanatics. In the meantime, everyone else in Canada is thinking "not them again..." today.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Not the same. While Canada is a bilingual country English is the dominant language. Everyone in this country understands/speaks english for the most part. Not everyone speaks/understands French. English is the dominant language of the world.
Absolutely irrelevent for a team that caters to the QUEBEC market.There are 29 other teams where the staff is almost entirely anglo.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
I only said that because the user i quoted was using Vancouver and Boston as examples of teams that hired French-Canadian coaches.

An example which doesnt apply since they speak the native tongue of the city where they were hired.

Old
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomhero View Post
that would have been amazing.The storm would have lasted months.

Old
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Wrong example here, Bowman is fully bilingual, was born and raised in Verdun... I do agree though, best coach available, period.
My bad. Point was that he was primarily anglophone, but yeah, you're right.

It's a stupid requirement that serves no purpose. None at all. The Canadiens are not a publicly owned institution like some brilliant politicians and old media fogeys seem to think. They are privately owned, and should be privately operated. That means making the best decisions for the operation, not to appease anyone else.

Does Molson not understand this chain of events: best available coach (+ best available GM) = greater possibility of wins = more $$$ for him.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Medsas

this is ridiculous, in soccer, they hire foreign coaches that don't speak the local language, so what... as long as the head coach can communicate his strategies to his players (even if it is through translators), it's fine...

Old
12-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Habitant#1

Just fire the GM and hire the guy you want FFS. Everyone and their mother knows it's going to happen. End the suspense and let the new guys leadership instill confidence down the organisation right to the players.

Old
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Next GM should be best available.
Next coach should be best bilingual.

Long term the GM is the more important personnel choice.

Old
Et le But

Quote:
Absolutely irrelevent for a team that caters to the QUEBEC market.There are 29 other teams where the staff is almost entirely anglo.
The team's primary concern is the MONTREAL market, a cosmopolitan and bilingual city. One where French is a part of the identity, but life doesn't revolve around it.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:49 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
First of all it's discrimination, not racism.
Xenophobia, ethnocentrism, blind nationalistic bigotry, whatever you want to call it, it's disgusting.

Quote:
Secondly, don't put us all in the same basket.
Certainly not.

Quote:
And last of all, the coaches you mention speak both languages so it's a moot point. If Vancouver hired a coach who couldn't speak english I wonder how much of a ****storm it would raise.
Not the same thing at all. You might as well say a coach who couldn't speak English in Montreal. Priority one for the coach is to communicate with the players. That happens in English, whether you're in Montreal, Quebec City, Vancouver, Dallas or anywhere else in North America.

Priority two is to communicate with the media. Not only is this a lower priority(or should be anyways), but the fact that Cunneyworth can speak only English actually doesn't impede his ability to communicate with the media: the same way that it doesn't impede Brian Gionta, our captain, from doing the same. Translation, dubbing, sub-titles etc can all be done, and are being done as we speak.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Thanks, but I can't agree with you either. I'm one of the many that thinks that this French requirement is only going to continue holding us back.
Bowmans, the Blakes...not saying we need an anglophone coach to accomplish that, we just need the best available, PERIOD.
My rant above is nothing new and has been regurgitated time and time again, but the fact Molson thinks we need a bilingual coach, and not the best available one, is incredibly disappointing to me, politics or not.
Bowman and Blake spoke French... If Babcock was the best coach available, I would take Babcock, but I'd make sure to make a better job addressing the communication needs of all the francophone fans right off the bat (especially those outside of Montreal that only speak French)...

Old
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
If it was that easy Koivu would have learned more than Bonjour in all the years he was here.

Btw, I wonder how Gionta's french is coming along.
Well if Saku would have try a little harder to learn the language he would have learned more than Bonjour

Old
Guy!

Personally, I think Molson is at fault for a lot of this situation.

http://aconcernedfan.com/?p=83

Old
12-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
...but I'd make sure to make a better job addressing the needs of all the francophone fans right off the bat (especially those outside of Montreal that only speak French)...
I don't understand: what "needs"?

The only "need" is to win some hockey games. Everything else is a needless distraction that has us mired in mediocrity.

And like I said in the other thread: not speaking English in this day and age, or even understanding some of it, is ridiculous. There is no excuse for only speaking French. Most French people I know speak English, if not all.

Nothing against you here either, I'm just saying: the goal of the team is to win. That's it. That SHOULD be it.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:53 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
What a pathetic rant. Funny how ONE coaching job among the THIRTY in the NHL requires knowledge of french and anglos like you can't stand it.

THAT, my friend, is intolerance in it's truest form. Why dont you become a leaf fan, because they always hire the very best coaches and personnel, right?

Jacques Lemaire: SC winner, Adams winner
Jean Perron: SC winner
Pat Burns: SC winner, Adams winner
Jacques Demers: SC winner, Adams winner
Mario Tremblay: ?
Alain Vigneault: SC finalist, Adams winner
Michel Therrien: SC finalist
Claude Julien: SC winner, Adams winner
Guy Carbonneau: Adams finalist
Jacques Martin: SC finalist, Adams winner

Mike Nykoluk: ?
Dan Maloney: ?