HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 NBA Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

vCash: 500
BDiddy is signing with the Knicks!

Old
12-18-2011, 05:58 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Chandler:Harrelson
Stoudemire:Jeffries
Anthony:Fields
Shumpert - Douglas
Davis:Bibby

Nice!
Not bad.

Still wish they got a legit backup PF/C. Afraid Pringles will run Amare and Chandler to the ground.

Old
12-18-2011, 10:11 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangerSince05 View Post
BDiddy is signing with the Knicks!

He's ballhog. Time will tell how he meshes with Amare and Melo.

Old
12-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

What's the verdict on Davis? I've read reports saying he'll be out as little as a month and at most two and a half months.

Old
12-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
What's the verdict on Davis? I've read reports saying he'll be out as little as a month and at most two and a half months.
He could be back next month.

Old
12-18-2011, 10:40 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Disagree. He's a penetrator & distributor first and foremost, who took bad shots when on bad teams. Much like Tyson Chandler, he's actually a great fit with Melo and Amar'e - certainly much better suited to play on this team than Chauncey Billups, who was more of a chucker.

Now, UNLIKE Tyson Chandler, Baron is also known to be a headcase and a guy who can let himself get way out of shape. Based on what I've read, those issues are the root causes of him appearing to be a ballhog on bad teams like the Clips. If he's motivated, he'll be fantastic here. If not, well, the team is no worse off than before. (And, for the record, he was apparently quite good for the Cavs after he was traded from LA - we can hope that that was a sign of late blooming maturity.)

Great, great low risk/high reward move. Much better than blowing the MMLE on Williams, much as I would have liked to have him back.

Now go get me a backup forward for the vet's min and let's go!

Old
12-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Forever Blue

Even if his back is messed up (which I doubt), this is a move that had to be made. Douglas isn't a PG and Bibby is toast.

Hopefully Shumpert will quickly become the starting 2 and move Fields to the bench as the backup 3.

Old
12-18-2011, 10:49 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Disagree. He's a penetrator & distributor first and foremost, who took bad shots when on bad teams. Much like Tyson Chandler, he's actually a great fit with Melo and Amar'e - certainly much better suited to play on this team than Chauncey Billups, who was more of a chucker.

Now, UNLIKE Tyson Chandler, Baron is also known to be a headcase and a guy who can let himself get way out of shape. Based on what I've read, those issues are the root causes of him appearing to be a ballhog on bad teams like the Clips. If he's motivated, he'll be fantastic here. If not, well, the team is no worse off than before. (And, for the record, he was apparently quite good for the Cavs after he was traded from LA - we can hope that that was a sign of late blooming maturity.)

Great, great low risk/high reward move. Much better than blowing the MMLE on Williams, much as I would have liked to have him back.

Very good assessment. I am wary of the signing because of the fitness and ball hog reputation but I guess, given the alternatives, he is the best option at this point. If he can't get motivated by this situation, I don't know what could.

Would still like to see the Knicks add another front court bench player.

Old
12-19-2011, 10:09 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Davis will play hard for NY. I have zero doubts

Old
12-19-2011, 10:13 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
PGs are suppose to handle the ball the most.

He will mesh well with Amar'e Melo AND Chandler. Why?

Because he can break down a defense by getting into the paint and he has good court vision and passing skills. Something Tony Douglas doesn't have.

Did you watch him with the Clippers? Lots of ally-oops to Blake Griffin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
According Ric Bucher, he will be back within this month. The 8-10 week stuff was put out there to scare teams off from picking him on waivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangerSince05 View Post
He could be back next month.
See comments above.

Quote:

This is all true. Agreed.

Only issue with Davis is health. If he's healthy and motivated, the Knicks can go a long way.

Old
12-19-2011, 10:56 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
John Hollinger notes an interesting statistic on Davis: he had the highest "quality assist" number of any player in the league. More than half of his assists resulted in easy layups or dunks, well above anyone else. He also ranked 16th out of all PGs (65 total) in assist ratio, or the number of player possessions that resulted in an assist--just behind Andre Miller, Deron Williams and Raymond Felton.

He's not Jason Kidd or Steve Nash out there, but he seems to be a well above-average distributor of the ball from the 1 spot.

It's just pain.
Old
12-19-2011, 01:16 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Davis has reportedly taken the vet minimum, so the Knicks can use the $2.5 million slot for someone like Posey. This acquisition just got that much better.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:20 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

A motivated Davis is a deadly Davis.

Now think that he wanted to come here instead of Miami to serve as an important piece on a hopeful championship contender.

Excited to see what BD can do here.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:26 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

There's been plenty of reports saying Baron was "exaggerating" his injury so the Cavs would 100% amnesty him and he would clear waivers to a have a chance to sign with whoever he wants, such as the Knicks who he really wanted to play for. I even read something he could be back as early as early January.

I wouldn't be surprised, Baron is the exact type of guy who would do that lol.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:28 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

It's now all about D'Antoni. He's been given the talent. He HAS to get this team to at least the 2nd round, if not the conference finals this year. You know Phil Jackson is keeping a close watch on this scenario. I'm sure Jackson would love to spoil Riley and the Heat championship dreams.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:33 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
It's now all about D'Antoni. He's been given the talent. He HAS to get this team to at least the 2nd round, if not the conference finals this year. You know Phil Jackson is keeping a close watch on this scenario. I'm sure Jackson would love to spoil Riley and the Heat championship dreams.
I want Phil here.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:03 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Unbe-freaking-lieavable. NESNSPN bias strikes again.

Ford's writeup on who had the best offseasons:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...des-every-team

Quote:
Key additions: Tyson Chandler (trade), Baron Davis (FA), Mike Bibby (FA), Iman Shumpert (draft), Jerome Jordan (draft), Josh Harrellson (draft)

Key subtractions: Donnie Walsh (president), Chauncey Billups, Ronny Turiaf, Shawne Williams, Shelden Williams, Derrick Brown, Anthony Carter, Roger Mason, Andy Rautins

The Knicks didn't get their ultimate prize last summer -- LeBron James -- but the two star players they did land over the course of last season (Amare Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony) have made the Knicks a prime-time destination again.

For much of this offseason, the next move on the Knicks' rebuilding chessboard was clear -- land Chris Paul. The problem? The Knicks didn't have the cap room to sign him as a free agent, nor did they have the assets to make a trade for a player like Paul.

Credit interim GM Glen Grunwald for doing something bold. Convinced his chances of landing Paul were small, and knowing that the Knicks' biggest need was in the middle, he abandoned Paul, gave amnesty to Billups and lured Chandler to New York. While Chandler isn't a star, he is a massive upgrade in the middle and gives the Knicks their first real defensive presence at center since Patrick Ewing owned MSG.

The move left the team very weak in the backcourt, however, which the Knicks have since addressed by adding veterans Baron Davis and Mike Bibby. If the motivated version of Davis shows up in New York (likely, if he's healthy) and if Bibby has any juice left (I don't think he does), the Knicks should be fine at the point when you also factor in third-year guard Toney Douglas. And if Landry Fields reverts back to his rookie form or if Iman Shumpert is as good as his pre-draft hype New York will be very, very dangerous.

GRADE: B+
Teams listed with better grades?

DAL: A-
IND: A-
LAC: A
MEM: A-
UTA: A

(CHI also had a B+)

His rationale why the Knicks didn't get an A?

Quote:
Knicks fans: If NY gets Tyson Chandler for 4 yr, $40M they get an A. On a 4 yr, $58M deal? B+.
Yeah, the Clips give up everything but the kitchen sink for Paul, but still get the best grade. The Knicks arguably overpay in annual salary by $4.5MM for the 2nd best def/reb center in the league - who is a perfect fit for their roster - and yet, that's enough to knock 'em down not just to an A-, but to a B+, with 5 teams having better offseasons, including teams like Memphis that did NOTHING other than to sign their RFA and a draft pick.

And if contract value is such a decisive factor - where's the extra credit for getting Baron in at the vet's min and preserving the MMLE?

I should know better than to let the anti-NY bias get to be by now, but grrrr... that really steams me.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:29 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Unbe-freaking-lieavable. NESNSPN bias strikes again.

Ford's writeup on who had the best offseasons:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...des-every-team

Teams listed with better grades?

DAL: A-
IND: A-
LAC: A
MEM: A-
UTA: A

(CHI also had a B+)

His rationale why the Knicks didn't get an A?

Yeah, the Clips give up everything but the kitchen sink for Paul, but still get the best grade. The Knicks arguably overpay in annual salary by $4.5MM for the 2nd best def/reb center in the league - who is a perfect fit for their roster - and yet, that's enough to knock 'em down not just to an A-, but to a B+, with 5 teams having better offseasons, including teams like Memphis that did NOTHING other than to sign their RFA and a draft pick.

And if contract value is such a decisive factor - where's the extra credit for getting Baron in at the vet's min and preserving the MMLE?

I should know better than to let the anti-NY bias get to be by now, but grrrr... that really steams me.
Could you by any chance describe his reasoning for Dallas getting an A-, as that one strikes me as rather odd. I totally agree with him about Tyson Chandler. There's nothing arguable about it: they seriously overpaid for a guy who can't create offense for himself. Baron Davis is a super talent, but he's injured and a lazy fat ass. Does this team need more players who don't care for playing defense?

Considering the Griz kept the league's second best center for the same price the Knicks paid Chandler, I understand that rating. I understand the Pacers grade, getting David West (a big pickup for a small market team), and if he is taking the draft into consideration, trading for George Hill. While I thought the Clips shouldn't have dealt Gordon, they still have a very strong team after that trade, and signing Butler (which was a great pickup) and, to a lesser extent, getting Billups, makes a move of Gordon easier to swallow.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:29 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

BRF, it's Chad Fraud...enough said. The Knicks added Chandler, Davis, Shumpert, Jorts, Jordan and Bibby, while losing Billups, Turiaf, Purp, Rauitns, Anthony Carter and Shelden Williams. That's a win in my book.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:36 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Expect this all season. There are a lot anti Knick/NY NBA people.

Especially Charles Barkely.

Haters going hate.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:50 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Expect this all season. There are a lot anti Knick/NY NBA people.

Especially Charles Barkely.

Haters going hate.
Just another reason why I love Charles Barkley and have far more respect for him and his refreshingly honest opinions than any of his analyst counterparts.

Old
12-19-2011, 04:00 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Just another reason why I love Charles Barkley and have far more respect for him and his refreshingly honest opinions than any of his analyst counterparts.
You really hate the Knicks, don't you? lol

Old
12-19-2011, 04:17 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
You really hate the Knicks, don't you? lol
Yep, ever since 1998. Before that, I was as diehard a Knicks fan as you could find. I don't understand how anyone can like them right now. What is there to like, especially if you like the Rangers? What do we love about the Rangers right now? Well, the fact that they have a homegrown, drafted and developed core, no? The Knicks, after making horrible mistakes for over a decade, finally start to have the makings of a real team with some real impressive and versatile players, and they give it all away - and for what?

A guy who ****ed over his team, his teammates, and his coach for an entire season, a guy who behaved with zero class, a guy who spent most of his 7-8 years with his last team playing lazy, uncommitted defense. A guy who, for me, ruins the experience of watching basketball. It's a team sport, and I enjoy watching teams execute. I enjoy passing, I enjoy great execution of plays. I like watching the Spurs play. I like watching the Thunder play. The Lakers (since they got Gasol). There's nothing more boring in basketball for me than watching a black hole player, who for every nice individual effort, makes 2 or 3 terrible ones.

Finally, I was starting to come around to being a Knick fan again. After years and years of betrayal, players like Gallo, Felton, and Chandler were getting to me. It was hard not to like them. Same old Knicks, though. Just a bunch of free agents. This isn't a team, and they're not your team. I can't wait to see them not win a championship. I have nothing but similar feelings for the Heat, I don't like what they did, either, but at least Lebron and Wade are far better players than Anthony. I look forward to watching them and the Bulls achieve far more success over the next few years.

Old
12-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
What do we love about the Rangers right now? Well, the fact that they have a homegrown, drafted and developed core, no?
Hehe, you won't be a Ranger fan a long time then...

...if there is one thing you can count on as a Ranger fan it is that sooner or later you will see some sort of madness. That will never change.

We built like we are right now during the late 80's early 90's too, but then after 94' things went south for a long while.

Old
12-19-2011, 04:48 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

No one cares about who is and who isn't "home-grown" in the NBA and NFL for that matter.

Neither sport really romanticizes that kind of stuff like baseball and hockey fans do.

Closed Thread