HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Personal Ties to Rangers

Old
12-19-2011, 04:09 PM
NYRJules

vCash: 500
Also MDZ hits on my cousin on a monthly basis on facebook

NYRJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 04:15 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJules View Post
Also MDZ hits on my cousin on a monthly basis on facebook
lol with the financial status that MDZ has, you wouldn't think he'd have to be creepin on girls on facebook

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
wasn't going to post this but if we're already talking about MDZ as a jackass, my friend's been dating a girl on and off for a few years now and MDZ hits her up on facebook all the time asking if she'll come into the city and hang out. tells her he'll get her tickets to games etc etc. the other day he sent her a message that just said "**** buddies?"

best part is my friend and his girlfriend are flyers fans.

when i was in high school i worked at a mall and one day mike richter was doing a signing on the other side of the mall. when we closed i was gonna go down and see if i could catch a glimpse but the signing was already long over, but as i was walking out i saw him standing with two other guys and walked over and we talked for a little it. nicest guy i've ever met, and he was my childhood idol so it was amazing for me.
...I dont think MDZ would do that on fb... maybe impersonator

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:29 PM
district9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
...I dont think MDZ would do that on fb... maybe impersonator
it's been going on for a while and was also into the point of texts and phone calls. he 100% has a personal facebook (you can't search it, like most athletes/celebrities its totally hidden) and i've seen it. i'm 100% sure it's really him

and just so you know this isn't just some random semi-attractive 20 year old girl, she's a model and she's won some awards, so she's at least somewhat well known. obviously not going to put her name out there or anything but figured it would be more believable if i let you guys know that

Last edited by district9: 12-19-2011 at 06:00 PM.
district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
it's been going on for a while and was also into the point of texts and phone calls. he 100% has a personal facebook (you can't search it, like most athletes/celebrities its totally hidden) and i've seen it. i'm 100% sure it's really him

and just so you know this isn't just some random semi-attractive 20 year old girl, she's a model and she's won some awards, so she's at least somewhat well known. obviously not going to put her name out there or anything but figured it would be more believable if i let you guys know that
That Does make it more believable. It does... That's weird. I wouldn't pink MDZ like that

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 07:32 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
wrong team, but a family friend is the recommended gynecologist on the devils healthcare plan for the wives. oh the irony.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 07:51 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicDing View Post
I... ummmm... shopped at the store that the Ferraro's dad owns =D
They don't count and that place was over priced! I ran into Peter or Chris one time at CVS in Miller Place. He kept going on and on about hockey to some other guy as I listened in on their conversation. He was saying how they had a couple of options they were considering, I think they went to Germany that year.

A friend's older brother who talks a lot of bologna claims to have played roller with them a bunch of times at the old rink in Miller Place but I think he's full of BS. He claims they used to hang out there a lot in the summers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
wrong team, but a family friend is the recommended gynecologist on the devils healthcare plan for the wives. oh the irony.
Dude, this takes the cake!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 08:10 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Got several Rangers autographs when they had training camp at Gutterson at the Univ. of Vermont, including legends such as Pavel Bure, Vladimir Malakhov, Petr Nedved, Darius Kasparaitis, Brian Barard, Martin Rucinsky, and Sandy McCarthy. Tried getting Messier but the dude ducked out the back.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 08:24 PM
ruckus*

My dog swallowed James Dolan's guitar pick at an MSG Garden of Dreams charity event that the inner city youth set up to benefit homeless animals in New York.

When she threw it up it actually sounded better than JD and the Straight Shot.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Capitain Midnight
Trust me, I'm a doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYO View Post
I thought it may be interesting to share our personal ties with this amazing origination other than just being a part of the worlds greatest fan base. After winning 5 Stanley Cups with Montreal my uncle, don Marshall was traded to the Rangers and still talks highly of the organization despite having played for such a storied franchise as Montreal. It was also nice to see that he was voted 75th on the Rangers 100 all time greats! anyone else have interesting ties to this team?
Oh my gosh. This isn't happening. After all these years...I was once told that I one of my parents had an uncle that was named Don Marshall and he played for the Habs. I never met this biological parent and have been looking for them my whole life. And to find him on the HFBoards....

Daddy, is that really you?
It's me, Junior.

I win

Capitain Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Ail
k.

Imagine how much better yet MDZ would be if he'd stop trying to hump everything on Facebook and focus more on hockey.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:11 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Imagine how much better yet MDZ would be if he'd stop trying to hump everything on Facebook and focus more on hockey.
Yeah he's been terrible this year. Besides, what's the point of being a 21 year old millionaire if you can't hit on hot chicks? If only I were so lucky.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:46 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
People don't exactly think highly of him anymore but he's still one of my fav players despite all the ******* he went through over the years. I go to meet chris drury on my birthday a few years ago (not like an autograph hi/bye thing) My parents were friends with someone that works for MSG and he got me hook-ups to the home opener vs the panthers a few years ago and got me "on the inside".I'm pretty sure drury scored his 1st goal as a ranger that night, which needless to say is pretty badass.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:14 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

I've had a twenty minute conversation with Wojtek Wolski about hockey in general and I asked him about the shootout. He and Prust autographed personalized some photos I had of them. Then I watched Wolski become a sad drunk despite having won a game earlier. Then I had Sean Avery give me a Coca Cola on the house and offer me a grilled cheese, but the kitchen had shut down.

This was all at Warren 77 after the Rangers came back and beat the Bruins last year. It was like 1 in the morning. No wonder the kitchen was closed.

That Stepan Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:26 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferek Stepaninner View Post
I've had a twenty minute conversation with Wojtek Wolski about hockey in general and I asked him about the shootout. He and Prust autographed personalized some photos I had of them. Then I watched Wolski become a sad drunk despite having won a game earlier. Then I had Sean Avery give me a Coca Cola on the house and offer me a grilled cheese, but the kitchen had shut down.

This was all at Warren 77 after the Rangers came back and beat the Bruins last year. It was like 1 in the morning. No wonder the kitchen was closed.
Never gotten to Warren after a game though I intend to this year. I know people that have though and Avery's always cool with them, usually gives them drinks on the house.

12-19-2011, 10:31 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Mark Messier is my father's, uncle's, brother's former roomate.

What does that make us? Absolutely nothing!
If your uncle has a brother wouldn't that make him your uncle as well?

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:44 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Not Rangers, but Bill Clement stole my Blind Guardian Twist in the Myth tour hoodie from the NHL store about a year or two ago. I went into the bathroom, left it in there and he was the next person in. I went back in about 5 minutes later and it was gone.

I swear, one day Im going to see him wearing it on NHL Live one day and Im gonna call in.

so in short, Bill Clement stole my hoodie.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:03 PM
NYRSchrute217

My great great grandfather is Mark Messier

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:16 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Not NYR, but my great grandfather saw Chris Chelios play live during the 1920s.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:34 AM
PhlipDowt

not a NYR...

but one year back in the mid 90's three friends and I went on a cruise out of Miami on a Carnival Ship.

At our assigned dinner table for the week it was the 4 of us, a family of 4 and another couple. The dude was a pretty big guy, and during some small talk he asked where we were from, when i said NJ he kind of looked surprised and immediately asked if we were NJ Devils fans and i said no, we were Rangers fans. I told him most NJ hockey fans like the Rangers.

He told us he was from Detroit. So we got on the subject of hockey quite often, and i think it was like the 3rd night at dinner he mentioned that he was just in NJ at the Stanley Cup game and I said 'damn you must be a die hard, you flew from Detroit to NJ to go to the game?" and he said 'Well.. actually i am on the Red Wings' so we asked who he was and it ended up being Keith Primeau. He was a pretty cool guy actually, we ate dinner with him the whole week. His wife was pregnant so we couldn't get him to really party with us.

PhlipDowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 04:34 AM
JDMSG

Had no "ties" to any ranger until today. I was in NYC and decided to go to the NHL store like usual when I'm in the city, I was looking to buy the winter classic hat. As I was walking up to the store outside Marc staal walked right past me, we pretty much brushed shoulders, and I looked over to my girlfriend and said "that was Marc staal haha". I contemplated catching up to him and asking for an autograph, but I saw he was with a girl and trying to catch a cab, so I figured why bother the guy. as I walked in the store I heard the two employees saying that was Marc staal, and talking about his concussion.

I carried on into the NHL store and as I'm looking around for the hat and checking out the rangers WC jersey, I make my way to the back of the store, and there is Brian Boyle at the cash register getting rung up. This time I couldn't resist, and asked for a picture and he was nice enough to take one with us. Real nice guy, plus he was in the NHL store in NYC so come on, what did he expect.

After all that, I went to look again for the hat but the store employee told me "sorry rangers players were in here before and literally bought all of them". Oh well lol. That's my story

JDMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 08:11 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferek Stepaninner View Post

****! I should've went after the game and gotten free grilled cheese too!

Funny, considering W2 had two assists on Vinny P's goals.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:00 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
****! I should've went after the game and gotten free grilled cheese too!

Funny, considering W2 had two assists on Vinny P's goals.
He was really cool. Prust was also cool, but he was too busy being smothered by two women on opposite sides of him. Avery was wandering around doing something. I also found out that Callahan broke his leg that night. It was one weird night though it made me feel like I had inside route, I don't, but still.

Now I just need to find a way to have a long conversation with Derek Stepan and become friends. I also need Jeff Skinner.

That Stepan Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:18 PM
mti79

Well, my story sucks compared to all of yours but whatever...

A few years ago, my gf/fiancee and I were taking the LIRR from NYC back to LI and I see this guy get on the train and sit a few seats in front of us. I look at my girl and I'm like... "That's John Amirante." She's like really? And I'm like yeah.. so I asked him to sign our tickets and he did. Really nice guy and instead of putting a jersey number with his name, he puts musical notes. I thought that was cool. I also told him that I've been watching him since the mid 80's when my Dad introduced me to the Rangers and he seemed to like that.

Unfortunately, I'm not related to anyone or anything like that. I've only seen players before/after games although I did have a fun interaction with Colton Orr in Starbucks once. He walked in as we were waiting for our coffee and while he was online, my gf stood behind him and whispered "Hi Colton..." He slowly turned around with this big grin on his face and then signed some autographs for us.

Also, my friend's friend complains about how her friend is always worried about her "stupid brother who plays hockey." Turns out, it's Michael Sauer. I'm still trying to figure out if I can turn this into anything....

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam94 View Post
I go to high school with Dubi's first cousin. Haven't really gotten the chance to speak to her.
This made me think of another. My fiancee while doing a medical rotation in LI wound up in an elevator with Dubi's aunt or something.... So I'll venture a guess that you live out in LI? Nassau County?

Last edited by mti79: 12-20-2011 at 12:25 PM.
mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Leetch66

My Ranger moments are very few but I was able to meet Red Sullivan an old time Ranger a few years ago when he was scouting for the Flyers and they held their Lindros Rookie camp here on PEI . He signed an old magazine that had his pic in it along with some of his hockey cards I had .

I was able to meet Messier a couple of Summers ago when he was in town on a promotion tour for Kraft ? I snapped some pics of him playing ball hockey with some kids who were the winners of the contest that brought him to town . I was so nervous meeting him that I forgot to go into the tent and see the Stanley Cup that he brought with him . I will always kick my rearend over that chance to get my pic taken with him and the Cup !!! Definitely the missed opportunity of a lifetime for this Ranger fan . I did get him to sign my next day after they won the Cup Newspaper from NYC where he was holding it in the air...it's an awesome piece IMO and I have 2 of them signed .

My wife's nephew , Ric Jackman , won a Cup with Anaheim...now playing in Korea I think . He had the tools but not the desire from what I saw . She also had a second cousin, Adam McQuaid, win a cup last season with Boston . My wife's cousin is also the toughest and biggest hombre in the Quebec Major Junior League and his name is Blake Millman who had a try out with Phoenix this Fall . She has good bloodlines LOL .

I used to sell hockey cards to a few guys like Jim Clarke an Ottawa scout . He also was assistant GM in Columbus one time . Columbus had a few people employed from around here that I knew also and amongst them was Gerard Gallant ex Red Wing who I played ball against and was able to meet Probert through at a bar one nite a long time ago .
I also know Dave Cameron ex KC Scout and Devil who was traded for Pat LaFontaine and now is assistant coach in Ottawa . I have known him for years and years .

There is a 95 yr old guy up the street who I have done work for who has a grandson that played in Toronto last season...Darryl Boyce who is back in the AHL at the moment . I also have done some work for Dion Phaneuf's family here on PEI where he spends his Summers at his new cottage .

Over the last 20years the resort up the road from me has hosted a few training camps such as Florida , Philly and Ottawa which enabled me to meet many guys like Yashin-Lindros-Daigle-Recchi-Dineen and others that also would be visiting the resort to play golf like Sakic-Fleury-Kennedy .

One thing about living in Canada's smallest Province is that it has presented to me wonderful opportunities to meet so many NHL people . I honestly cannot say a bad thing about any that I met over the years except for one jerk who was a reporter for the Flyers and he wrote for the Hockey News Mag . He was plain rude and his name escapes me at the moment and I do know he covered them for years...I think it was Jay Greenberg...does that ring a bell with anyone ?

One of these days I will make the trip to the greatest city in the World and get to see my Rangers play at MSG...until then I will settle for CI . Take care .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote