HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

12/18/11 "Candy Canes" - Hurricanes VS Panthers

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2011, 10:12 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

vCash: 500
solid post. A lot of the games getting tighter are a byproduct of 2 things:

1) We are no longer under the radar. Teams have adjusted, ie covering garrison better, putting there #1 goalie against us and the backup against Tampa, and just simply getting up for games against us.

2) the injuries are taking a bit of a toll.

Like we said at the game when versteeg went frighteningly down, as long as first line Campbell and gbomb keep healthy we will survive. Although bergenheim injury tough becuase he's streaky and was getting hot. Groins are tricky could be a few days or a few weeks.

Regardless Deneen's job is to adjust strategically and players to step up...to date both are doing exactly that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
i few comments/thoughts about the game tonight:

-we were awful the first 2 periods. what were the sog after 2? like 23-12 for carolina? getting outshot, and outplayed, like that by an awful team is pretty bad. we played 23 minutes and were lucky enough to come out with a win, but if we play this way against decent teams we're not going to be so lucky.

something i thought about on the way home: earlier this year, we were absolutely dominating teams, both in possession and SOG, but our defensmen were prone to incredibly jaw-dropping turnovers. i said at the time, that the reason for it is the system we play that they are likely encouraged by the coaching staff to try and keep possession of the puck and make a tape-to-tape pass if at all possible and not just banking it off the boards....this leads to some risky passes.

well, recently i've been noticing alot, ALOT more banks off the boards just to clear the zone. what that does is instead of making teams chase the puck, we are the ones chasing and it tires the forwards out, especially when we really arent rolling four lines because of injuries. i dont think dineen trusts barch, rallo, santorelli or bradley enough to really take consistent shifts in crucial situations

i think teams have really upped their forcheck against us lately as the scouting report on how we like to play is out. forcheck the living daylights out of our blueliners and make them clear the puck and not keep control of it. that, combined with the injuries, i dont think is helping, so we're likely playing a more conservative system as i dont think dineen believes we can play a run-and-gun style game with only 3 legit lines out there. weiss-flash-versteeg played over 22 mins tonight, where earlier in the season when we had 4 healthy lines i think they were only averaging 17-18.

just the amateur coach in me coming out, not trying to be a know-it-all like some like to do, but just stuff i've noticed lately. all that being said, a good coach adapts to his troops, and dineen seems to know what he has and what he doesn't have.

some more random stuff:

- we need goc to get healthy in a hurry or trade for another center. i really dont like kopecky at center, he becomes absolutely invisible, whereas when he plays wing, he generally has a big impact on the game on the boards and being a pest in front of goalies. he's also a team worst -11 right now, and i think it's because he just isn't a good center. he's just to slow.

was the first goal theodore gave up tipped or something? because live, it looked horrendous. he rebounded well from that point forward though.

-who did we pick instead of justin faulk in the second round? was it petrovic? whoever it was, i hope he turns out to be good because i was very impressed with faulk. sloppy defensively but man he has some skills.

- and finally, how perfect is it that we tied the game off of a bryan allen penalty? i wonder how many times that clown blew games for us.....it was justice

Old
12-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
thx me too lol.

watch "on the fly" long versteeg interview...heavy credit to Dineen, etc,real nice interview
http://video.panthers.nhl.com/videoc...gOnTheFly-1218

Old
12-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Two4Fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
Thanks for the link, good interview.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:12 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Damn. We scored Adt passes and hung out there all game. My son thru a rat from there that got stuck in the net it was hysterical.

I'll be in 121 Tuesday and try to find you.

Always after a win with vanmurph etal at southpantherland "cheering" fans exiting...join us!
Sounds good! I always wondered if they did the three star selection at home...

I'm usually one of the first out of the building, you of all people should understand why.
Close your eyes and think back...into the urine, beer, smoke smelling stairwell before everyone! This because the escalator crowd always consisted of people who had cement legs...it had to be the same wiseguy that pushed the red stop button after every game. It used take 5 minutes to get out of the building sometimes.
Here, it takes me 5 minutes max to be from seats to the Sawgrass.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:27 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Sounds good! I always wondered if they did the three star selection at home...

I'm usually one of the first out of the building, you of all people should understand why.
Close your eyes and think back...into the urine, beer, smoke smelling stairwell before everyone! This because the escalator crowd always consisted of people who had cement legs...it had to be the same wiseguy that pushed the red stop button after every game. It used take 5 minutes to get out of the building sometimes.
Here, it takes me 5 minutes max to be from seats to the Sawgrass.
I get that ! If I got to rock, ya I'm gone.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:32 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

How about Jovo getting second star last night?!?!

He notched 2 assists, but I really didn't notice him out there yesterday. For some Dmen, that is a good thing

Closed Thread