HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Visors/Cages/Fishbowls/Nothing

Old
12-19-2011, 02:27 PM
AngryBoss

vCash: 500
I used to wear no facial protection. But then I got some very expensive dental work done and now I wear a cage.
I have a lot less peripheral vision, but you know what? I don't get paid for playing hockey and I don't feel like going through the immense pain of root canals ever again.
So I'm very happy wearing a cage and feeling safe behind it.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Oh yeah...root canals. Terrifying AND painful. AND it cost me $1500.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Ozz

The pain leading up to a root canal was 10x worse for me than the damn procedure!

Was that $1500 with insurance!?

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 03:02 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
The pain leading up to a root canal was 10x worse for me than the damn procedure!

Was that $1500 with insurance!?
In my case I had insurance that covered most of it.

I've had 3 root canals in my life and the last one was by far the most painful.
I had that horrible infection pain to start. The kind where you want to tear your tooth out with a pair of pliers.

But then, my doctor didn't wait long enough for the penicillin to kill the infection before starting the procedure.
For those that are uninformed, if the infection is bad, the freezing they give you to numb the tooth won't work. The infection shields it.
So even after getting 4 shots to numb the nerves, I could still feel EVERYTHING.
If you've never had a steel-rod jabbing at a raw, infected nerve, you don't know what pain is. This went on for 90 minutes. My clothes were soaked from sweat due to the pain and I had tears running down my face.
I would never wish that on anyone.

So in a nutshell, wear a cage! LOL!

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I can't remember. I think I had a $1000 deductible. So maybe it was $1000...but then there were some other costs involved.

It really sucked...I had a tooth that had a couple fillings break, and then I had to get it fitted for a crown, had the crown put it, and two months later terrible tooth pain, had to get a root canal through the damn crown, then get the crown filled/repaired.

And yes, not only did I have the root canal, but I also had three novocaine shots, and then there was an emergency so I had to sit in the chair for literally an hour waiting for the doctor to come back, got another novocaine shot but I felt half the procedure.

The worst was the burning smell. I don't know if it was them burning the nerve end or the friction of the drill on the tooth. But it was so terrifying.

So...it's a cage. $50 to save me $1000 worth of root canal and potentially many hours of torture in a dentist's office.

Old
12-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I can't remember. I think I had a $1000 deductible. So maybe it was $1000...but then there were some other costs involved.

It really sucked...I had a tooth that had a couple fillings break, and then I had to get it fitted for a crown, had the crown put it, and two months later terrible tooth pain, had to get a root canal through the damn crown, then get the crown filled/repaired.

And yes, not only did I have the root canal, but I also had three novocaine shots, and then there was an emergency so I had to sit in the chair for literally an hour waiting for the doctor to come back, got another novocaine shot but I felt half the procedure.

The worst was the burning smell. I don't know if it was them burning the nerve end or the friction of the drill on the tooth. But it was so terrifying.

So...it's a cage. $50 to save me $1000 worth of root canal and potentially many hours of torture in a dentist's office.

Man, that's an awful experience. I guess I was lucky. My nerves weren't beaten to death by a puck slamming my mouth, just one evening I had a crazy pain in the tooth. I had a few 'caine shots, the procedure took roughly 2 hours, and I think I was only sore the remainder of the day with no setbacks.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Cage. Will always wear a cage, too.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Philybrook

I wear a Oakley VR903 Straight Pro Visor. Great vision and great look. In my league I would say that it's 70% of the guys playing with or without visors and 30% with cage. I would also say that most of chirping is done by guys with cages. I have a good cage story. A guy once hit me from behind and I replied on the next play with a big open ice hit. (I don't usually play like that in beer leagues but this dude was hitting everybody and was really dangerous). He came back to me and said, hey man nice hit, but if you want to play like that, are you at least willing to drop the gloves? (I am not a fighter at all lol) I said, dude shut up you're wearing a cage. He dropped his head down and ran away and stopped being a jerk on the ice. Maybe it's just me but, if you are wearing a cage, don't act all tough, it's a non written rule in hockey for me.

Philybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I guess for me the unwritten rule is, if you're playing adult recreational hockey, you should not be hitting, cheap shotting, trash talking, or fighting at all.

Old
12-20-2011, 01:51 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
I guess for me the unwritten rule is, if you're playing adult recreational hockey, you should not be hitting, cheap shotting, trash talking, or fighting at all.
there is room for trash talking (to an extent, of course), but the rest I agree has no place in adult league.

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Philybrook

Quote:
I agree with you but it's never going to happen...

Philybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 05:20 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
unfortunately that's a whole thread of it's own

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 08:32 AM
SCritical

My helmet came with the cage. All female players in my club have to wear cages, no matter how old or how experienced. Many of the guys on my co-ed team wear cages as well, although they can switch to a visor when they turn 18 if they want to. I've never seen anyone in Australia play without a visor or cage.

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:53 AM
dannythekid

I almost always wear a cage. The few times I went without one I caught a bow or two in the mouth, that's no fun and I don't need to be walking around without front teeth.

dannythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:42 AM
jNel91

Does anyone have a recommendation on the best cage to buy? Thinnest bars/best vision.

I have a Bauer 4500 combo, and I was looking online and comparing the Bauer 7500 cage to the 9900 cage. Can anyone lend any insight as to whether or not the 9900 is worth the extra $10? Thanks for any comments.

Last edited by jNel91: 01-04-2012 at 04:55 AM.
jNel91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:24 AM
mhkehoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jNel91 View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation on the best cage to buy? Thinnest bars/best vision.

I have a Bauer 4500 combo, and I was looking online and comparing the Bauer 7500 cage to the 9900 cage. Can anyone lend any insight as to whether or not the 9900 is worth the extra $10? Thanks for any comments.
The 9900 has the oval bars, so it definitely has thinner bars when looking through. I think it is worth it.

mhkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 06:39 PM
shawn1331

When I was a kid, maybe 9-10. I had to go for a routine checkup at the dentist. My mom was in the waiting room so I guess he decided to take advantage, I was at the point where I had lost most of my baby teeth but had a few left in there. So he went and told my mom I needed a filling in my adult tooth. So my mom said yeah go for it so they did it that day. It ended up being in a baby tooth and there was no reason for a filling. So 2 bad things happened, first being the filling fell out within a week or 2 because it was just sitting on my tooth that didn't have a cavity, secondly he said I needed a root canal and my family had no idea about dentistry said whatever it takes. So he went ahead and did that and all I remember was it was easily the worst pain of my life. Hurt so bad I nearly puked, and then 2 weeks later that same tooth fell out. That was the last time I went to that dentist and he went out of business shortly after for un-hygenic reasons. But not before he gave my sister and 6 other people needless root canals.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Super Dave

I was pretty lucky (if you want to call it that) when I took a stick to the mouth. Half the tooth shattered but the other half was forced up and cut the nerves, at least that's what the Doc told me. They just pulled it out and I was good to go.

The stitches in my lip where my other tooth went through did not go so smooth, however.

I'd say if you're playing with beginners, go cage; otherwise, definitely, at least a visor. Fake teeth work fine, fake eyes...not so much.

Last edited by Super Dave: 01-04-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Super Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:13 AM
LeftTackle51

I play mens league and I don't even wear a helmet. It's all about respect and the other players respect the 6'5 285 lb forward that is I.

LeftTackle51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
I've been playing for 18 years, since day 1 always wore a visor, have never been hit in the mouth. Had 5 teeth pulled in May and 1 broken tooth fixed-most likely from clinching my teeth when I played hockey. So it's not always about getting a direct shot, it could be from years of damage. So I decided to finally put on a cage and bought the Under Armour Bite Guard so at least I have some sort of protection between my upper and lower teeth. It's not that I'm not tough or that I'm afraid of the dentist it just seems dumb to me to put myself at risk each time I play. I think the day is coming that rec leagues will require cages, think about the insurance and injury costs that could be saved by mandating cages.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:46 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftTackle51 View Post
I play mens league and I don't even wear a helmet. It's all about respect and the other players respect the 6'5 285 lb forward that is I.
i hope for your sake that the occasional ruts in the ice respect your size too.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jNel91 View Post

Yes worth the $10. Thinner bars, lighter weight.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:20 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I asked about the same thing a little while ago and I would say if it is the difference of $10 then yes it is worth it. If you already have a decent chrome cage then I'm not sure it is worth it.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Danglous

I used to wear a visor but I recently switched back to a 9500 cage and I doubt I will ever go back.

Last night, this random kid on my team who tries to look like Ovechkin with the jersey tuck and the mirror visor got hit in the mouth and lost the same tooth Ovechkin is missing.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:29 PM
jNel91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhkehoe View Post
The 9900 has the oval bars, so it definitely has thinner bars when looking through. I think it is worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
I asked about the same thing a little while ago and I would say if it is the difference of $10 then yes it is worth it. If you already have a decent chrome cage then I'm not sure it is worth it.
Quote:

Alright, thanks guys.

jNel91 is offline   Reply With Quote