HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Turris traded to Ottawa (confirmed)

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2011, 11:52 AM
doaner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Well, they sent the kid to a place where he can't return to haunt us. I liked Turris when I met him and I hope that he lights it up for the Sens. I would be happy for a win-win scenario as I have no ill wishes to Turris.
The only ill I have for him is if he was dogging it on purpose.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Kaibur

I wonder who the other 2 teams that were still in it with very serious offers at the end were? They must have still been damn good offers for Murray to have needed a 2nd round pick to win the bid. Looking at the other prospects in HF's top 50, its kind of curious to imagine what other returns might have been out there. I wonder what Florida offered, as they were said to be in it at the end.

I assume Rundblad takes over as our top prospect on the HF list?

Old
12-19-2011, 01:22 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
I wonder who the other 2 teams that were still in it with very serious offers at the end were? They must have still been damn good offers for Murray to have needed a 2nd round pick to win the bid. Looking at the other prospects in HF's top 50, its kind of curious to imagine what other returns might have been out there. I wonder what Florida offered, as they were said to be in it at the end.

I assume Rundblad takes over as our top prospect on the HF list?
Columbus and likely Calgary.

Gormely is still ahead of Rumblad IMO.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:29 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

vCash: 50
I say well done by DM... got Ottawa to significantly over-pay IMO for Turris.

Old
12-19-2011, 04:34 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...aining-content

Quote:
Kyle Turris on being in Ottawa: "I don't think I've seen this many cameras for a number of years now." Yeah, weird how they aren't in San Antonio or the press box.

Old
12-19-2011, 04:44 PM
hbk

Guys, be prepared to see Turris light it up (especially in the short-term). We are definitely going to "lose" the trade in the short-term. If Turris does anything expect the wave of opinion on HF to turn again on how "poorly run" this organization is or "how stupid" Don Maloney is.

Old
12-19-2011, 04:57 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Guys, be prepared to see Turris light it up (especially in the short-term). We are definitely going to "lose" the trade in the short-term. If Turris does anything expect the wave of opinion on HF to turn again on how "poorly run" this organization is or "how stupid" Don Maloney is.
Maybe. I'm equally prepared to see him light it up early, often and for the foreseeable future as I am prepared to see him never, ever light it up at all. I think he's a coin toss.

I said on the other board that he could end up Petr Nedved ot Erik Christensen with equal probability. I'm guessing somewhere in between. It's which end of that spectrum he settles nearest to that will decide this thing.

I said the same for Rundblad with Zubov and Tverdovsky.

Rundblad and Turris could both easily hit or miss. I'd be unsurprised by any of those outcomes.

Old
12-19-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
...just like the early reaction to the Wolski trade to New York. By the end of the season they were calling for his buyout. I might be in the minority, but I still say this team is better with Rozi in the lineup than Wolski.

Old
12-19-2011, 05:37 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
...just like the early reaction to the Wolski trade to New York. By the end of the season they were calling for his buyout. I might be in the minority, but I still say this team is better with Rozi in the lineup than Wolski.
Minority? The only people who might believe the contrary are Wolski and his mom.

Old
12-19-2011, 05:41 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Rozi still has trade value.

Old
12-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
I don't think so. Bill Parcells once made an interesting comment about football players regarding hope and potential.

"When a player shows you who he is you have to accept it."

Kyle Turris' production over 4 years shows who he is.

Old
12-20-2011, 06:56 AM
DesertDawg

now in retrospect I can say

GOOD RIDDANCE

hope the Coyotes get a sleeper in the 2nd rounder.

don't see KT really making any sort of impact with the Sens, not with the players he is project to play with. My guess: he will be ~ a .5 p/g the 2nd half of the season, a slight improvement from last season, & his +/- will be -... He doesn't have Doan protecting him anymore.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:45 AM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Minority? The only people who might believe the contrary are Wolski and his mom.
So true.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:38 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
I dont know. Seeing as a poll of 95% of the Sens fanbase think we lost this trade, and I'd think a good half of them wouldn't mind sending a few pitchforks to Bryan Murray's house right now, I'd say Don Maloney did pretty good on this deal. At the end of the day, its still a HF top prospect and a 2nd round pick for a malcontent.

He did good on the Klesla and Roszival deals, but I think he got a but lucky on this one. Murray flinched.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:54 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
I dont know. Seeing as a poll of 95% of the Sens fanbase think we lost this trade, and I'd think a good half of them wouldn't mind sending a few pitchforks to Bryan Murray's house right now, I'd say Don Maloney did pretty good on this deal. At the end of the day, its still a HF top prospect and a 2nd round pick for a malcontent.

He did good on the Klesla and Roszival deals, but I think he got a but lucky on this one. Murray flinched.
I was fortunate because I've actually seen Turris play at various levels. I saw him prior to being drafted in Burnaby where he scored 4 points in 2 periods and was clearly head and shoulders above everyone else in that game. My only reservation was the skinny legs and the fact that it was a much lesser league than most other top rated draft eligible prospects.

Once he was drafted I made a point of going to see him play a weekend series against Minnesota (NCAA). The food at the venue was more notable than Turris's actual performance to be honest. He looked okay, he just didn't stand out each shift like I had expected. I chalked it up to a similar experience I had scouting Blake Wheeler a year prior when I was drooling over Zajac at UND when the Calgary Flame scout (who was sitting beside me) leaned over to me and told me to watch Toews who was #1 on his draft list that year. I hadn't really noticed Toews at that point so I thought maybe my abilities to forecast players was a little iffy (I believe my review of Wheeler is that he would be better in the NHL than he was at the NCAA level; a good 3rd liner with 2nd line upside - which in hindsight was fairly accurate).

What I found interesting during an interview with Assistant GM Brad Treliving yesterday on XM Radio was it was Turris and his agent that demanded a contract to come out of NCAA early. I had always assumed it was Phoenix who pushed for that (there are some teams that aren't huge fans of the NCAA for developing prospects and after the Wheeler experience this would not have shocked me).

In the end though Turris was drafted with the notion that he would be a PPG player. He has an elite caliber wrist shot and to be honest he has a "aww shucks" personality that was for the most part endearing. You actually wanted to see the kid succeed.

The last few years have really made it apparent that Turris is not going to be a front line center. He's not. The offensive creativity of an elite player hasn't materialized. You can argue Tippet's system but I can honestly say I saw more out of 5 games from 24 year old rookie Andy Miele on producing offensive chances than I did in 130+ games out of Turris. Turris is a finisher. He can score. He does not however, make other players around him better.

Turris may be able to become that 60-70 PPG player. That's his upside at this point. The danger for Ottawa is he develops into "just" a 40-50 point guy (who are more easy to find in this league). Ottawa paid value based on a future 2nd line center. He may get there but the development process may be frustrating. I know I'll be watching a few more Senator games this year just to see where that 2nd rounder ends up.

Last edited by hbk: 12-20-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old
12-20-2011, 12:08 PM
hbk

Just listened to Maloney's interview on NHL Live. Our Eastern scout is based out of Ottawa and is very familiar with Rundblad.

Old
12-20-2011, 12:17 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I was blown away by Turris in the super series. I was extremely impressed at the WJCs. I saw maybe a half dozen Badgers games, and I thought he looked great for a Freshmen.

Then again, I thought Jordan Schroeder was head and shoulders above Turris as an amateur player, and his pro career seems to b going nowhere fast.

Old
12-20-2011, 12:39 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I was blown away by Turris in the super series. I was extremely impressed at the WJCs. I saw maybe a half dozen Badgers games, and I thought he looked great for a Freshmen.

Then again, I thought Jordan Schroeder was head and shoulders above Turris as an amateur player, and his pro career seems to b going nowhere fast.
Interesting that Turris played the wing at the WJC and Superseries.

He should have been played as a winger with Mueller as the Center instead of what we tried. That's my opinion. It means nothing at this point.

Old
12-20-2011, 12:51 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Just listened to Maloney's interview on NHL Live. Our Eastern scout is based out of Ottawa and is very familiar with Rundblad.
Jarmo Kekalainen took him in the first round. That's not nothing.

Old
12-20-2011, 05:05 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDz View Post
I say well done by DM... got Ottawa to significantly over-pay IMO for Turris.
Up to 10 teams were on the ruining. 3 teams made serious offers down to the wire.

Yotes GM played a game of chicked with Sens GM.

Sens GM blinked. Plain and simple.

I would LOVE to have seen the NHL team out there offer a better prospect or a package better than David Rundblad ALONE to the Yotes for Turris.

Only one I could think of is maybe Kadri since Toronto was said to be in the 3 teams in the final running for Turris, and I would bet NHL GMs would rather have Rundblad 9 out of 10 times than Kadri.

Even a defensive heavy team like the Yotes would prefer Rundblad too.

Old
12-20-2011, 08:54 PM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Stolen from the OTT board:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...in-buffalo-yet
Quote:

Senators GM Bryan Murray woke up Friday morning not feeling at all like the front-runner to land Kyle Turris. About 30 hours later, the player was his.

The main stumbling block on Friday was the fact that the Phoenix Coyotes were still asking for a first-round pick to be part of the deal. That was a no-go for Murray.

By Friday night, Coyotes GM Don Maloney had downgraded to a second-round pick, and while the two sides still had not agreed to a deal, Murray felt better about his chances when he went to bed Friday night.

On Saturday morning, Maloney phoned back and the trade had changed in size -- it got smaller. On Tuesday, Murray confirmed that the original deal both teams had talked about last week involved “more players.”

In the end, Maloney wanted a smaller deal -- Turris in exchange for David Rundblad and a second-round pick. Murray quickly thought about it Saturday and said yes. The Sens GM didn’t have much time to waste. Maloney had two other clubs in the final mix also willing to trade for Turris and pressed Murray for a quick answer.

In the end, Maloney got terrific value in return in a young puck-moving blueliner with Rundblad’s upside. But Murray felt the Senators could afford to move him given the presence of Erik Karlsson, Jared Cowen and all the other young depth the organization has on defense.

“We’ve been looking for a second-line center almost from the day I got here years ago,” Murray said Tuesday. “I’m happy with the deal.”

Old
12-20-2011, 09:10 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
yeah we also had a deal with another team that included a first and a contract that we didn't want to really take on.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Turris gets his point after making a good defensive effort.

Go ahead and pinch yourself, this is real.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

In other words, Turris was faking it when he got back with us after holding out?

Old
12-20-2011, 10:45 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Meh. I don't really care what that little **** head does.

Closed Thread