HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

So does this make Detroit a little more motivated to move Cujo Quick??

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 11:48 AM
Benji Frank

vCash: 500
So does this make Detroit a little more motivated to move Cujo Quick??

Losing Hatcher, they can fill somewhat ... but Zetterberg?

I hear Washington's phone ringing!!!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=59436

Old
11-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Benji Frank

In hindsight, I don't know why I put that title ... Washington doesn't need Cujo!!

Old
11-04-2003, 12:10 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Can someone please explain why people think that Detroit hasn't been very motivated to move their $8M 3rd string goalie for months? Answer: they have, there just aren't any taker$.

Also, if the Wings feel panicked to force moves now because Zett and Hatcher have gone down, and the team is at .500 on November 4th , then Holland is a lousy GM.

"Hullie, Stevie Y, Shanny, we lost a player (Hatcher) who wasn't even with the team last year and a 2nd year player (Zett), but we frankly have no confidence that you guys can hold the fort and turn things around until they recover. As such we're going to go out and market our remaining few trade assets (teams are likely to have significant interest in the young/cheap Datsyuk, Fisher, Hudler only) for someone who can save you guys!"

Old
11-04-2003, 12:17 PM
wazee

That is a good question. Th Wings were already thin at center and this doesn't help unless Yzerman is physically able to handle the demands of playing center every game. Wings fans can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that was the plan.

I don't see a market for Cujo at the moment and it doesn't help that he is currently injured and didn't exactly shine in his one NHL performance....but maybe the old Wings/Caps/Avs proposal could be revived, I suppose. I have always said the Avs would have to pick up an experienced goalie during the season and I think more Avs fans are coming around to accepting that idea. I guess it depends on the price...

Old
11-04-2003, 12:17 PM
Benji Frank

My thinking on "motivated" was to date it appears the Wings have been more or less comfortable holding onto Cujo until they can move him and the bulk of his contract ... now, I'm wondering if maybe they might be more willing to absorb a chunk of it and get a solid asset coming back......

Old
11-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Benji Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheRat
Where is your head, man? Seriously. No offense or anything but do you really think Cujo will get anything resembling a 'solid asset?' They CANNOT GIVE CUJO AWAY. He is worth NOTHING. He has ZERO trade value. Even if the Wings agree to eat some of his contract they still will not be getting a 'solid asset' in exchange for Curtis Joseph. I am not sure what else has to take place in order for this to become as obvious to you as it is to the rest of us....

(sorry for the diatribe)
We'll see.

Old
11-04-2003, 01:55 PM
PigPen

If the wings move youth then I'll give up on them and start following the Blue Jackets.

There are still 2 solid vets out there that the wings could acquire for a pretty low price that would help fill the injury void.

Steve Thomas. Still a pretty good skater and can chip in a goal when you need it most.
Adam Oates. He's never been fast or a great goal scorer yet he always got his points because how damn smart he is.
If the wings decided to sign them it'd take no more than a combined total of 3 million if even that much.
These two regardless of their ages would be big upgrades over Floyd Devereaux and Jason Williams.

Cujo will be gone by January or February most likely when Boston's goaltending and defense starts breaking down like it did last year after the first 30 games, or when some other team's goalie gets injured/proves that they aren't a real starter.

No way do the wings panic and send off any of their youth to another team for vets when there's still some on the market.
Zetterberg is only out 4-6 weeks. He comes back anywhere from early to mid december. Lets say...anywhere from 12 to 20 games. Once our forwards realize that they've got to backcheck it won't be that big a deal.

Closed Thread