HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Is Richards Available?

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2005, 12:21 AM
Varius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Giggy's making $4 mil is he not? I don't think the Lightning can afford/want to pay that much.
Yeah he's just under 4 million.....kind of expensive for today's NHL.

If Andreychuk retires (?), and they trade Richards they would probably fit him in. But they wouldnt be able to play on the free-agent market, so I don't know if they'd do it then.

Old
12-09-2005, 05:30 AM
Timmy1973

The Lightning will have Richards back unless they get an offer they can't turn down. I can see them trading lesser guys like Afanasenkov for his what $750,000 and perhaps another player that earns somewhere in the neighborhood of $1-1.5 million.

Old
12-09-2005, 06:46 AM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy1973
The Lightning will have Richards back unless they get an offer they can't turn down. I can see them trading lesser guys like Afanasenkov for his what $750,000 and perhaps another player that earns somewhere in the neighborhood of $1-1.5 million.
Sydor possibly? I believe he is in the 2.5 million range.

Old
12-09-2005, 07:44 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

If a team highly covets a #1 center, I think someone may offer as much as, if not, more than $5M per year to Brad Richards. Now I wonder who will be the first team to make an offer to another clubs restricted free agent under the new CBA, and whether or not Tampa Bay will match such an offer sheet. I believe the last RFA to receive an offer from another club was Chris Gratton with the Philadelphia Flyers.

Old
12-09-2005, 08:29 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth

2. The margine between Philadelphia and Buffalo is as close as it is because Buffalo has two games in hand and Philadelphia has Chris *** Therien playing in our top four defensive pairing. The other night versus Calgary we had 86 man games lost to injury so I believe the count is now up tooooooooo 91 man games lost and counting!
Wah wah wah... Buffalo has had Miller (#1 goalie), Briere, Dumont (top-line offensive center and his winger), Lydman, McKee (two best defensemen) all miss a significant number of games. Pyatt, Afinogenov, Grier, Mair... All missed games (Pyatt, Dumont are out ofr a while still, Briere and Miller are coming back soon).

Old
12-09-2005, 08:32 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris
How so?

Mike Richards - 16 points in 25 games (less ice-time)
Tim Connolly - 22 points in 28 games (more ice-time)

Offensively, Connolly is better but he is also four years older.

Richards is stellar defensively and a physical force on the ice.
Connolly's been Buffalo's best two-way forward to add to his team-leading 22 points.
Plays all special teams and in all crucial situations, backchecks like a beast.

Again, it's a personal preference, and it is likely that Richards will have a better NHL career, but right now, as a Buffalo fan, and seeing Connolly game after game, I wouldn't give him up for Mike Richards. Brad yes, Mike no.

Old
12-09-2005, 08:37 AM
Erik

Send a message via ICQ to Erik Send a message via AIM to Erik Send a message via MSN to Erik Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
I saw Langkow + Leopold somewhere in here... there's no way. And Giguere wouldn't help us at all.

The Lightning are perfectly happy where they are, and won't be trading away any franchise players any time soon. There are a few players guaranteed out of here, combined with even the slightest cap increase, will make for plenty of room.

Old
12-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Why? It's not like he'd be getting 2nd line ice-time. He'd still be playing over 20 min/game, and with Lecavalier and Richards, Tampa has two great scoring lines instead of just one. I dunno, makes sense to me.
Thank you, couldn't have said it better myself. Richards & Lecavalier are more like 1A and 1B, and if anything Richards usually plays more than Lecavalier though the difference is slight.

12-09-2005, 11:26 AM
projexns
Winnipeg White-Out!

Quote:
I highly doubt it. Reinprecht is an UFA at seasons' end and Tampa's defense isn't hurting enough that they need Leopold at the expense of losing Richards.

If Richards is dealt, it will probably be this off-season for a goaltender.
Agree that it will be the off-season before any move is contemplated, the
Lightning will try to make another Cup run this year.

The Lightning are already scraping the ceiling of the salary cap, have lost Khabibulin in goal, and the blue-line has Kubina heading for UFA and Sydor making a lot of $$$ that Lightning fans want to see dumped.

The question is what type of team would the Lightning be overall with mediocrity
in goal and the blue-line, but having three star-quality, but EXPENSIVE
forwards?

After this year I would expect the Lightning to re-structure the on-ice personnel
and to address the salary cap and how much is being spent where.

Richards is not eligible to become a UFA until 2008. I would expect several teams
interested in his services, which would ensure that the Lightning got a decent package in return that could address either their blue-line or goaltending in particular.

Two examples:

St. Louis will have to totally re-make their roster as they seem headed for the drafting of Kessel. Richards would be the center-piece that could keep and attract the several free-agents that will be needed to supplement Richards, Tkachuk, and (possibly) Kessel. They do have depth on the blue-line to put together an attractive
package:

Eric Brewer, T.J. Oshie, and a 2006 2nd-rounder for Richards.

Chicago also has depth that I've mentioned in another thread. Several d-men with
NHL experience, several young d-men, and a top-six forward that could come back
to Tampa. Mix and match as needed, but one example:

Tyler Arnason plus d-men Jim Vandermeer and prospect Anton Babchuk for Richards

Old
12-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Hockeyfan02

With the Blues and Hawks start with their top young players: Barret Jackman and Ruutu. If the Lightning are going to trade Brad Richards they are going to want that franchise's top young players in return. Since there is no real panic to trade Richards right now, they would have to blow the Lightning away with an offer. It's going to take quality, not quantity to take Richards out of Tampa. Even in the offseason, there will not be a panic to trade Brad Richards so teams are going to have to come up with some damn good offers to get Brad Richards out of Tampa.

Old
12-09-2005, 03:20 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:

Basic point. Do you honestly think that Tim Connolly is better than Mike Richards?
A lot better actually

Quote:
If so, you're among a small group. For good reason.
What group is that?The group that actually has seen Connolly play this year?

Closed Thread