HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#32|Dec. 19, 2011|Flyers at Avalanche |9:00 p.m. ET

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-19-2011, 11:12 PM
  #676
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,689
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
If Bryz would have saved that fluke goal it would have been nothing but luck. It was a random ass bounce. The shootout yeah, he shoulda done better. He's played pretty well as of late, including this game up until the shootout (which really, those were some pretty nice goals by the Avs). He wasn't lights out, but it's not like he was a liability or anything in net. If he plays the way he played tonight and recently for the rest of the year, I don't think this team will have any problems.
It wouldn't have been luck, it would have been fundamentals; All he had to do was have his stick down (like he should have) and he didn't. We aren't talking a major, high-speed wonky deflection. It's not a hard save. It went right through him, he just wasn't playing it right. It's on him.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:12 PM
  #677
Lurch
Registered User
 
Lurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 198
vCash: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan139 View Post
Meh its a shootout, who cares? They were all pretty good shots by the Avs. I would not call it unacceptable but it is pretty annoying to watch!
You are absolutely right, but after the 6-0 disgrace, frustrating is a pretty mild description. It the Avs for the love of God, just embarrassing.

Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:13 PM
  #678
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Same idiots *****ed when he went 9-1-1 but had ****** numbers. Now he has great numbers but lose, and still *****ing. Their precious Bob let's in a bad goal a game ( zero so's says that) and is awful in shootouts, yet the whine for him. Can't please these people. Bryz's game was pretty far down on problems tonight

Because for the money he's making he should be consistently good. Or at least 90% of the time. Not equalling Giguere in GA in this game. Giguere in't even starter quality.They're performances shouldn't be identical.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:14 PM
  #679
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!
 
hckyplayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicken Capital,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,858
vCash: 500
Bryz is a bum. Can we just stick with Bob?

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:15 PM
  #680
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,634
vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Well, we got a point we didn't really deserve. Bryzgalov was uninspiring to say the least in the shootout.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:15 PM
  #681
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
3 on 3 with Carle out..

this has BAD idea written all over it.
Actually, if there's one time I really want to see Carle out on the ice, it's when it's 3on3 play. Give him some space and he excels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegale View Post
I love the fact that Bryz let's up one goal in regulation, and I say one because their 2nd goal was comparable to Briere's vs the Pens..and you guys are ready to crucify our goalie because of a shootout where the Avs shooters were hitting their marks. Give them some credit and stop being overdramatic losers.
I'm not fond of that contract, and he definitely could have done better in the shootout. That second Avs goal could probably have been avoided if Bryzgalov had been properly positioned as well.

Still though, he made a few really, really good stops tonight. No one else came to play at all. If it hadn't been for Bryzgalov we wouldn't have stolen that point.

This was an absolutely terrible game from our side. No intensity, no energy. Was there anyone who went to the net (apart from the final minute-and-a-half of regulation). We started the game fine, Voracek looked terrific for the first ten minutes or so. After that though...

We weren't helping each other, we looked on, stood still or were too far apart. We could barely enter the offensive zone in the third period without having to skate it in 1 against 3 and coughing up the puck pretty much immediately.

****, I hope they'll play better against Dallas. That will be the last game I'll be able to see before the Winter Classic. I want to start off the Christmas celebrations on a positive note...

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:15 PM
  #682
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
If Bryz would have saved that fluke goal it would have been nothing but luck. It was a random ass bounce. The shootout yeah, he shoulda done better. He's played pretty well as of late, including this game up until the shootout (which really, those were some pretty nice goals by the Avs). He wasn't lights out, but it's not like he was a liability or anything in net. If he plays the way he played tonight and recently for the rest of the year, I don't think this team will have any problems.
Yes. Random ass bounce. Nothing he could do.

Dear god I wish people would get a clue.

From the time you're in juniors, goalies are screamed @ to get the paddle down when the puck goes down low b/c if the puck is thrown out in front, bounces like that can happen.

Bryz flailed @ the puck, was totally out of position, and so a goal that should've been stopped by his paddle goes in and people who don't understand the game and don't understand a thing about proper positioning for a goaltender want to call it "luck".

Great. Super. Yes, it was "luck".

Bryz is worth every bit of the $10 million he's making this year. Are you happy now? That's obviously what you want to hear. We aren't allowed to criticize the deity that is Ilya Bryzgalov, so I'm just going to call him great from now on to please fans like yourself.

You know what, I'll go even further... He should honestly be getting more Vezina buzz w/ how good he has played this year. Second coming of Bernie Parent. Tim Thomas who?

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:17 PM
  #683
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,252
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It wouldn't have been luck, it would have been fundamentals; All he had to do was have his stick down (like he should have) and he didn't. We aren't talking a major, high-speed wonky deflection. It's not a hard save. It went right through him, he just wasn't playing it right. It's on him.
Oh ok.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:17 PM
  #684
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnz0rs View Post
This JVR terrible game seems to make perfect sense.. Was reported to be scouted.. Doesnt want to be trade...

Mind=blown
Is that all you ever do? Find ways to rag on players? As soon as a player you rag on all the time has a good game you are suddenly quiet. Everytime..

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:19 PM
  #685
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,252
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Yes. Random ass bounce. Nothing he could do.

Dear god I wish people would get a clue.

From the time you're in juniors, goalies are screamed @ to get the paddle down when the puck goes down low b/c if the puck is thrown out in front, bounces like that can happen.

Bryz flailed @ the puck, was totally out of position, and so a goal that should've been stopped by his paddle goes in and people who don't understand the game and don't understand a thing about proper positioning for a goaltender want to call it "luck".

Great. Super. Yes, it was "luck".
Oh ok. He should have saved the first goal too. And all three shootout goals. And all the other goals he let in in the first 25 games.

Quote:
Bryz is worth every bit of the $10 million he's making this year. Are you happy now? That's obviously what you want to hear. We aren't allowed to criticize the deity that is Ilya Bryzgalov, so I'm just going to call him great from now on to please fans like yourself.

You know what, I'll go even further... He should honestly be getting more Vezina buzz w/ how good he has played this year. Second coming of Bernie Parent. Tim Thomas who?
Thank you! It's about time someone sees the light!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:19 PM
  #686
Totally Radivojevic
Registered User
 
Totally Radivojevic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Less than half a season into his 9 year contract is definitely a good measuring point too. Almost as good as when people were calling him out about six or seven games in.
I like the guy, but he's not an elite goaltender. He'll get hot, because every goaltender does. Would much prefer Bob at a couple mil for the foreseeable future than Bryz locked in at close to 6 for a decade. Let's hope he's hot for a few playoff runs.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:20 PM
  #687
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,528
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Is that all you ever do? Find ways to rag on players? As soon as a player you rag on all the time has a good game you are suddenly quiet. Everytime..
This right after your Bryz post ! You are a beauty lol. Pretty obvious what your doing.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:21 PM
  #688
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,046
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
This right after your Bryz post ! You are a beauty lol. Pretty obvious what your doing.
Its the exact post i posted to him in the Bryz thread

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:21 PM
  #689
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,689
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Oh ok. He should have saved the first goal too. And all three shootout goals. And all the other goals he let in in the first 25 games.



Thank you! It's about time someone sees the light!
Dude, nobody is asking him to be perfect. We're just asking him to not be a glorified, expensive-as-hell Boucher who consistently lets in weak goals and generally cannot be relied upon to bail the team out on a bad night. If the team is playing great, he can be trusted to not screw it up. If they aren't he can't be trusted to help them get a win regardless. He's paid to get the wins...not "not screw it up."


That's what he's paid to do, and he doesn't do it. Until he does it consistently he deserves the scorn he gets. He isn't living up to expectations at all. Unless, of course, you expect and accept mediocrity.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:22 PM
  #690
bryzgalovsky*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
correct scapegoat: ilya bryzgalov

incorrect scapegoats: matt read, james van riemsdyk, danny briere, or any other forward for that matter

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:23 PM
  #691
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
That's pretty good given what the Flyers run out as their blue line corps.
That save percentage is absolutely pathetic no matter the team.

Here's all 30 team's starters, to the best of my knowledge, and their save percentages:

Thomas - .943
Backstrom - .933
Lundqvist - .932
Khabibulin - .931
Howard - .928
Quick - .927
Lehtonen - .926
Rinne - .924
Theodore - .923
Smith - .919
Montoya (Isles don't really have a specific starter so w/e) - .918
Niemi - .917
Price - .914
Fleury - .914
Kiprusoff - .913
Vokoun - .906
Luongo - .905
Pavelec - .905
Garon - .905
Halak - .903
Miller - .902
Ward - .899
Gustavsson - .898
Hiller - .898
Bryzgalov - .898
Crawford - .896
Varlamov - .896
Anderson -.894
Brodeur - .886
Mason - .880

The Flyers are 17th in terms of goals against and sixth in terms of goal differential. That's middle of the pack in terms of goals against and top of the league in goal differential. Yet Bryzgalov is tied for the 25th worst save percentage out of all these starters with the likes of Hiller and Gustavsson.

In the bold are starters on teams with a worse goals against record that have better or equal save percentages to Bryz. There's nine teams that have are doing worse defensively then the Flyers that have starters that are doing just as well, and in most cases better, then Bryzgalov. That's horrendous, especially once you consider that there's only 13 teams worse then us in terms of goals against. In fact, the starter for the worst team in the league in terms of goals against has a better save percentage then Bryz (albeit by barely).

When you're a middle of the pack team defensively, there's no excuse for your starter to be posting a sub .900 save percentage. In fact, regardless of circumstances, it's very rarely okay for a starter to have a sub .900 save percentage.

An .898 save percentage is horrendous all things considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards18 View Post
We all know he hasn't been great so far this year.

But I just have a problem that people are destroying him on here for his poor SO performance tonight.

I guess people don't realize that the Avs are probably the best team in the league at the 'skills competition'.
Like I said, for me at least, the problem extends much farther the one shootout performance.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:25 PM
  #692
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnz0rs View Post
Its the exact post i posted to him in the Bryz thread
Yes... I thought it was kind of ironic to hear you criticizing JVR after saying that crap to me.

I admit to being critical.

But if you're going to go the "holier than thou art" route, you shouldn't be criticizing JVR in the GDT.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:26 PM
  #693
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,528
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Dude, nobody is asking him to be perfect. We're just asking him to not be a glorified, expensive-as-hell Boucher who consistently lets in weak goals and generally cannot be relied upon to bail the team out on a bad night.


That's what he's paid to do, and he doesn't do it. Until he does it consistently he deserves the scorn he gets. He isn't living up to expectations at all. Unless, of course, you expect and accept mediocrity.
So remove the 2nd double deflection goal, we don't pull the goalie and go to SO tied 1-1 and we still lose to the hottest SO team in recent history, what's your gripe now ? And take a look at the goalies the Avs have lit up in SO's ?? And Bob is garbage at SO's , so he aint the answer.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:28 PM
  #694
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Dude, nobody is asking him to be perfect. We're just asking him to not be a glorified, expensive-as-hell Boucher who consistently lets in weak goals and generally cannot be relied upon to bail the team out on a bad night. If the team is playing great, he can be trusted to not screw it up. If they aren't he can't be trusted to help them get a win regardless. He's paid to get the wins...not "not screw it up."


That's what he's paid to do, and he doesn't do it. Until he does it consistently he deserves the scorn he gets. He isn't living up to expectations at all. Unless, of course, you expect and accept mediocrity.
gotta agree with Beef here..

lets say for example everyones fav. rage-on goalie Leighton..

say he played that game and let in those goals inc. the SO ones.. EVERYONE here would be foaming at the mouth. and thats a goalie making like 1% of Bryz's salary..

tossing the money/length at Bryz we did he simply shouldnt be playing the way he has since showing up. soem bad games/goals sure.. but so far were are the opposite side testimony's ?

you know the game saver holy **** did you see the performance ( and yes weres the SHUTOUT ?)


just saying..

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:28 PM
  #695
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,252
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Dude, nobody is asking him to be perfect. We're just asking him to not be a glorified, expensive-as-hell Boucher who consistently lets in weak goals and generally cannot be relied upon to bail the team out on a bad night.


That's what he's paid to do, and he doesn't do it. Until he does it consistently he deserves the scorn he gets. He isn't living up to expectations at all. Unless, of course, you expect and accept mediocrity.
Hey I agree he hasn't been great. He's been good enough for the Flyers to be sitting atop the East. Can't really complain too much about that. And my biggest beef (no pun intended) is just that after being on this forum for a while now, it seems that nearly every goal that is given up is "OMG he has to save that!" Lucky deflection, defensive breakdown, great offensive move are all scrutinized and Bryz (or other goalie) is murdered for it just as bad as goals that are his (or other goalies) fault. It's just funny to see people complain about the goalie no matter what the situation is. Judging by those posts, it does seem that you do expect perfection. I mean, just go look at the GDTs. I'd wager that 90% of posts after a goal are all "OMG bench this guy he sucks he should have had that!" If you complain about all the goals, how are you not demanding perfection?

I am fully anticipating the day, hopefully this year, when the Flyers win the Cup and people are complaining and saying they won it in spite of the goalie and in spite of the bad defenders, and in spite of the GM that put the team together and still complaining that Jody Shelley is ruining this team's chances and so is Bryz's albatross of a contract while he is passing the Cup to his teammates.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:29 PM
  #696
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
I wish Bryzgalov would change his name to Boucher and his number to 33 for one game.

It would be funny to see all the comments trashing him from the people currently defending Bryzgalov.

Apparently name recognition goes a long way around here...

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:29 PM
  #697
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,367
vCash: 1431
To a question asked earlier: Simmons is officially credited with the tying goal. In order to have it switched, the normal protocol by League mandate is 24 hours from the game. There's a finite period to challenge all scoring plays.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:29 PM
  #698
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,689
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
So remove the 2nd double deflection goal, we don't pull the goalie and go to SO tied 1-1 and we still lose to the hottest SO team in recent history, what's your gripe now ? And take a look at the goalies the Avs have lit up in SO's ?? And Bob is garbage at SO's , so he aint the answer.
My gripe wouldn't be about his weak goal tonight, then.

However, there's still all the other weak goals he routinely lets in, and which I have been pissed off about since day 1. I don't know why you're asking me about Bob. I haven't mentioned him, except to point out earlier that I'm not sure who's worse at SO.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:33 PM
  #699
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,252
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
I wish Bryzgalov would change his name to Boucher and his number to 33 for one game.

It would be funny to see all the comments trashing him from the people currently defending Bryzgalov.

Apparently name recognition goes a long way around here...
Ha, that works both ways. The people trashing Bryz are also ones (or at least one) who will tell you the three shutouts Leighton had in the ECF against Montreal is no big deal.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:33 PM
  #700
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Hey I agree he hasn't been great. He's been good enough for the Flyers to be sitting atop the East. Can't really complain too much about that. And my biggest beef (no pun intended) is just that after being on this forum for a while now, it seems that nearly every goal that is given up is "OMG he has to save that!" Lucky deflection, defensive breakdown, great offensive move are all scrutinized and Bryz (or other goalie) is murdered for it just as bad as goals that are his (or other goalies) fault. It's just funny to see people complain about the goalie no matter what the situation is. Judging by those posts, it does seem that you do expect perfection. I mean, just go look at the GDTs. I'd wager that 90% of posts after a goal are all "OMG bench this guy he sucks he should have had that!" If you complain about all the goals, how are you not demanding perfection?

I am fully anticipating the day, hopefully this year, when the Flyers win the Cup and people are complaining and saying they won it in spite of the goalie and in spite of the bad defenders, and in spite of the GM that put the team together and still complaining that Jody Shelley is ruining this team's chances and so is Bryz's albatross of a contract while he is passing the Cup to his teammates.
In terms of save percentage, you could pick almost any other starter in the league and we'd still probably be atop the league. We could have a cutout in goal and still be top of the league. We're not winning games because of goaltending or goals against, we're winning games because we have the sixth best goal differential in the league and the very best goals for record. So saying "well we're winning with him" doesn't mean much and the stats prove that in this case.

Fact of the matter is that he has one of the most expensive goalie contracts out there and he's nowhere near earning it yet. That signing was considered by some to be a negative thing at the time and now it's starting to seem like they were right.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.