HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps vs Avs. 9pm. Pepsi Center 12.17.2011

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-19-2011, 10:33 AM
  #476
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 View Post
I truly believe this as well. But I also think we clearly need at least 1 more top 6 winger, possibly two, and maybe a 2C as well. This is what I would like to see from the top 6:

OV-Backstrom-Brouwer
Bourque/Cammalleri-Mojo-Semin

OR

Mojo-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Bourque-Cammalleri-Semin



Was 1st
Schultz

For

Bourque


Hamrlik
Knuble

For

Cammalleri



90-19-8 have played briefly together (Mostly just 1 shift like last night) but I feel like there could be something there. Thinking about it, it seems like it could do great damage, and I think OV and Nicky could use a speedster on their line.

This is just what I'd like to see, not saying it will happen, but the cap space does work. I do feel like the caps will acquire one of those guys though.
I like the ideas of those acquisitions, but I don't see Calgary and Montreal touching them for the assets we're sending.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:17 AM
  #477
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,649
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Neuvy was the starter last year and did fine. What is there to miss about Varly? He was never the true #1 starter... ever.


Sorry to be so confusing. Its not about me missing Varly. We were discussing team confidence starting in net - did you see any of that?

Play a little game. Put yourself in Ovi's head, Or Semin. The guys with the most pressure to score. Seeing our G's giving up soft goals almost all year. Remembering Neuvy losing 4 straight in Tampa, unable to steal a game himself. What do you think they may think to themselves.

To answer your post, I thought Neuvy was average at best last post season, I grade him a C. To win a cup, he needs to steal a few games for us. Average goaltending rarely cuts it.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:17 AM
  #478
MD Moose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 51
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
where did i ever say i knew anything about hockey? when the team was created a couple of them lived in my neighborhood. i played a little hockey in college(club hockey).
i wrote the caps for the county journal newspapers as a teenager and bob fachet was my mentor.

am i an expert? no. i dont claim to be. do you?
Who would qualify as an expert? Don Cherry? Even for him I see plenty of people complaining about his accumen.

MD Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:24 AM
  #479
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post


Sorry to be so confusing. Its not about me missing Varly. We were discussing team confidence starting in net - did you see any of that?

Play a little game. Put yourself in Ovi's head, Or Semin. The guys with the most pressure to score. Seeing our G's giving up soft goals almost all year. Remembering Neuvy losing 4 straight in Tampa, unable to steal a game himself. What do you think they may think to themselves.

To answer your post, I thought Neuvy was average at best last post season, I grade him a C. To win a cup, he needs to steal a few games for us. Average goaltending rarely cuts it.
neuvirth stole several games last season. no, he didnt steal one in the tampa series. if his own defensemen didnt regularly put puck past him he might have managed a win.

varly v montreal. almost every goal he allowed in that series was a shot outside of 20ft that he had clear sight lines on. very stoppable. always gave up the first goal. the caps had confidence there? game 7 v the pens varly awful. a confidence builder.
i use this only as a compare to neuvirth.

again, it seems pretty much like you wanted them to keep varly over neuvirth if that was a choice. it seems you want vokoun back in the net and if its not vokoun, you want holtby.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:27 AM
  #480
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,649
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
so, we have gone from getting neuvy out of the way to get vokoun back in there to passing over neuvy to get to holtby. rh, do you have something against neuvy?

reading this post it would seem that way. you thought varly should have been playing. the team played better with varly. you want to see vokoun. if vokoun doesnt get it going, you want holtby.

its like my suggestion that playing neuvirth the next three games will bring his game back to last season's standards even if true is not an option you want to see in place.

is that an accurate read of your POV?
Wrong as usual

I don't think Neuvy is more than an average goalie. Is that something against him to you, if so than yes. I thought Varly should have been played in one of the back to backs, preferably game 3. Or Holtby, did you?

I dont have a magic solution but I figure, why not try the guy we brought in to get a few games in a row, even after a loss. TVo was brought in here, relegating Holtby back to the bus, and small chance possibly stunting his development. Are you going to do that for a backup?

My POV changes based on what I see. Good luck requesting an accurate read.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:49 PM
  #481
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,355
vCash: 500
i am just reading what you write, my friend. it seems that taking one post to the next you the neuvirth option last.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 01:57 PM
  #482
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,649
vCash: 1300
Last? there are only two options, short of carrying 3 G's. You alternate them until one takes the reigns, or, show confidence in one, and it's his job to lose. Certainly platooning them all year hasn't worked one bit. I felt that since he was a highly respected G, Vokoun should have been named the starter for game 1. I don't give a rats ass how he or Neuvy looked in preseason.

Neuvirth had the reigns last year and to start this year, now I want to see what Vokoun has.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 02:14 PM
  #483
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Last? there are only two options, short of carrying 3 G's. You alternate them until one takes the reigns, or, show confidence in one, and it's his job to lose. Certainly platooning them all year hasn't worked one bit. I felt that since he was a highly respected G, Vokoun should have been named the starter for game 1. I don't give a rats ass how he or Neuvy looked in preseason.

Neuvirth had the reigns last year and to start this year, now I want to see what Vokoun has.


How haven't already...? what?

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 02:23 PM
  #484
caps4cup
Dynasty
 
caps4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 4,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
I like the ideas of those acquisitions, but I don't see Calgary and Montreal touching them for the assets we're sending.
Bourque's value is most likely a mid-late first and a third, so Schultz + 1st should be fair considering some teams actually think they could change Schultz...good luck with that!

And Supposively cammalleri was almost scratched last game, and was in the dog house, so I think they'd take that deal.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 02:52 PM
  #485
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Neuvirth had the reigns last year and to start this year, now I want to see what Vokoun has.
boudreau announced vokoun was the #1 goalie at the start of camp. vokoun then started 9 straight games after game 1. from the second game on vokoun started 21 of the next 28. is neuvirth playing too much?


Last edited by txpd: 12-19-2011 at 02:58 PM.
txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 03:37 PM
  #486
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,649
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
boudreau announced vokoun was the #1 goalie at the start of camp. vokoun then started 9 straight games after game 1. from the second game on vokoun started 21 of the next 28. is neuvirth playing too much?
You can see the mixed message from Bruce right there.

Otherwise, thanks for clarifying, I stand corrected on TVo getting chances. You were right, I was wrong. You are smart, I am dumb. TVo has started 21, Neuvy 10.

But wait. How many games was Neuvy injured during those 11 extra starts, for TVo. I seem to remember joking that ha, we cant make fun of Varly being injury prone of the 2.

If Neuvy was healthy for the first 10 games, it seems like BB over compensated for shunning him for the first game. Vokoun did get hot under the collar, maybe telling of a fragile psyche.

We just seemed to start the G's off on the wrong foot, and something hasn't been right all year. Both of them.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 04:05 PM
  #487
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Last? there are only two options, short of carrying 3 G's. You alternate them until one takes the reigns, or, show confidence in one, and it's his job to lose. Certainly platooning them all year hasn't worked one bit. I felt that since he was a highly respected G, Vokoun should have been named the starter for game 1. I don't give a rats ass how he or Neuvy looked in preseason.

Neuvirth had the reigns last year and to start this year, now I want to see what Vokoun has.
Come on Randy...even you can't believe this crap.

Let me paraphrase your stance...

"I don't care who played better, we should have started the guy with the bigger reputation".

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 04:26 PM
  #488
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,649
vCash: 1300
I think we should have started Vokoun for game 1. Is that bad?

At least I know one guy agrees with me.

The jist of my point remains, I want to see NOW Vokoun get a few starts in a row. new coach, new system, lets reset. Then Neuvy's turn, if it doesn't fix his game. Yeah i know its crazy, huh.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 04:59 PM
  #489
Blades of steel
log off.
 
Blades of steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: richmond, va
Posts: 2,345
vCash: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I think we should have started Vokoun for game 1. Is that bad?

At least I know one guy agrees with me.

The jist of my point remains, I want to see NOW Vokoun get a few starts in a row. new coach, new system, lets reset. Then Neuvy's turn, if it doesn't fix his game. Yeah i know its crazy, huh.

RH I agree that we should play Vokoun and see if he can get hot, but this team is needing wins now and it's hard to turn away from neuvy after they won. I think Vokoun gets going and the caps will get hot again, confidence be boosted all through the line up.

question do you go back to tv since we lost the last game or do you go back with neuvy? I feel like we're just damaging goalies confidence over and over without consecutive starts


Last edited by Blades of steel: 12-19-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Blades of steel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:16 PM
  #490
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I think we should have started Vokoun for game 1. Is that bad?

At least I know one guy agrees with me.

The jist of my point remains, I want to see NOW Vokoun get a few starts in a row. new coach, new system, lets reset. Then Neuvy's turn, if it doesn't fix his game. Yeah i know its crazy, huh.
its not bad. the idea that not starting vokoun killed vokoun for the season is bad. you seem to have this perception that neuvirth is playing all the time and vokoun is on the bench.

the first 7 games dale was coaching, vokoun started 5 of them. the only two starts neuvirth got was dale's 3rd game and 4th game. the caps won that 3rd game breaking a 5 game losing streak. almost every coach in the league does not change the goalie after that. caps lost the 4th game and vokoun was back in. he only came out after getting yanked. neuvirth then posted a shutout.

hes been getting most of the starts.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:09 PM
  #491
Dirtbag59
Registered User
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
To answer your post, I thought Neuvy was average at best last post season, I grade him a C. To win a cup, he needs to steal a few games for us. Average goaltending rarely cuts it.
Actually I'd say up until the last cup matchup, average to above average goaltending has cut it.

I mean lets go back.

2011 - Thomas (BOS) vs Luongo (VAN)
2010 - Neimi (CHI) vs Leighton (PHI)
2009 - Flower (PIT) vs Howard(DET)
2008 - Flower (PIT) vs Osgood (DET)
2007 - Gigučre (ANA) vs Emery (OTT)

None of those goalies before 2011 where anything special. Fleury is the closest to elite and honestly he wasn't anything special during Pitt's cup runs. I mean for God's sake, Detroit got there two straight years with different goalies.

With the recent performance of Thomas and Luongo, franchise goalies have become all the rage in the NHL. Sadly goalies are the NHL equivelant of running backs in the NFL, save the careers cut short due to the physical demands of the position.

Fact is the onus is on the guys up front to deliver. Then again if our goalies keep on giving up soft goals we're not going to get very far.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:26 PM
  #492
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post

2011 - Thomas (BOS) vs Luongo (VAN)
2010 - Neimi (CHI) vs Leighton (PHI)
2009 - Flower (PIT) vs Howard(DET)
2008 - Flower (PIT) vs Osgood (DET)
2007 - Gigučre (ANA) vs Emery (OTT)

All the goalies on the left were studs. Light years better than Neuvy. Even Osgood was signif better than Neuvy. Varly can be as good as those guys on the left. And Holtby might be that good, too.

Atlas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:38 PM
  #493
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Marc-Andre Fleury and Antii Niemi were absolutely not studs, although Niemi did play better than usual in those playoffs I guess.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 07:21 PM
  #494
Harvey Specter
Boooooone
 
Harvey Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oxford-Malmö-Sydney
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,333
vCash: 500
neuvy will never sniff the 3rd round unless carried there. this team doesnt have anything close to the capability of carrying a goalie past the 1st round, nevermind the 2nd as well.

its a lose-lose.

Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 05:08 AM
  #495
Brave Sir Robin
Registered User
 
Brave Sir Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Actually I'd say up until the last cup matchup, average to above average goaltending has cut it.

I mean lets go back.

2011 - Thomas (BOS) vs Luongo (VAN)
2010 - Neimi (CHI) vs Leighton (PHI)
2009 - Flower (PIT) vs Howard(DET)
2008 - Flower (PIT) vs Osgood (DET)
2007 - Gigučre (ANA) vs Emery (OTT)

None of those goalies before 2011 where anything special. Fleury is the closest to elite and honestly he wasn't anything special during Pitt's cup runs. I mean for God's sake, Detroit got there two straight years with different goalies.

With the recent performance of Thomas and Luongo, franchise goalies have become all the rage in the NHL. Sadly goalies are the NHL equivelant of running backs in the NFL, save the careers cut short due to the physical demands of the position.

Fact is the onus is on the guys up front to deliver. Then again if our goalies keep on giving up soft goals we're not going to get very far.
Even if some of those guys weren't anything special, Neuvirth is definitely below average. He's average for a backup, and this season he's been one of the worst goaltenders period.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.