HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Playing "A"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-14-2011, 09:49 PM
  #1
SauceHockey
Retired
 
SauceHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: p
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 3,985
vCash: 500
Playing "A"

As some of you know I have been recently cut from an A team. I recently got called up to play for them in a tournament? What should I expect when it comes to game speed and skill in comparisons to house. Most of our opponents population in their city is about 5,000 , 7,000 , 50,000 (Their 3rd rep team) and our city is about 30,000 in surronding areas.

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:50 AM
  #2
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdwe1 View Post
As some of you know I have been recently cut from an A team. I recently got called up to play for them in a tournament? What should I expect when it comes to game speed and skill in comparisons to house. Most of our opponents population in their city is about 5,000 , 7,000 , 50,000 (Their 3rd rep team) and our city is about 30,000 in surronding areas.
My guess would be that "A" would be slower and with less skill compared to house.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 06:01 AM
  #3
duul
Registered User
 
duul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
My guess would be that "A" would be slower and with less skill compared to house.
What?

Judging teams by population is pretty pointless, as towns with small #'s such as that will usually only go up to A, therefore you're playing the best players from those areas for the most part. I know when I played A back in the day there were teams who did well against AA/AAA teams and there were teams that weren't much better than house league teams.

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 10:13 AM
  #4
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
My guess would be that "A" would be slower and with less skill compared to house.
I'm sorry, wut? Out here it goes House/B/A/AA/AAA, and A is definately not slower than house. It's much faster and better than house league. B is close to house league, but A is not.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 10:34 AM
  #5
Saved
Registered User
 
Saved's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,791
vCash: 500
I used to play for a hockey team for a village of about 700 people. Bantam A/Midget A hockey.

Our team regularly dismantled powerhouse AAA teams such as Port Hawkesburry Maroons, Antigonish Bulldogs etc... we just could only go up to A.

Saved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:27 AM
  #6
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
I'm sorry, wut?
I thought the guy was joking, at least i hope he was. If he wasn't joking, do you really think it would make a difference what you told him?

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:13 PM
  #7
SauceHockey
Retired
 
SauceHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: p
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 3,985
vCash: 500
I am asking how big the gap is in beetween House and A, I guess I poorly phrased that...

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:01 PM
  #8
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend
 
Finnish your Czech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Finland
Posts: 42,189
vCash: 50
I play 'A', and it's a big difference, it's probably even larger since smaller towns generally have better 'A' teams. (I play in a big city, and we play 'A' teams from smaller municipalities and they are much better, generally)

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 04:41 AM
  #9
izzy3
Registered User
 
izzy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdwe1 View Post
I am asking how big the gap is in beetween House and A, I guess I poorly phrased that...
This big:
|-------------------------------|

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 05:59 AM
  #10
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
This big:
|-------------------------------|
That's what I was thinking.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:25 PM
  #11
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,191
vCash: 50
skill doesn't vary much between A/AA/AAA because they just mean how many players there are in the association, not the skill level of the team itself. I played goalie for a AAA team and we lost to a few A teams.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:06 PM
  #12
vapor11
Registered User
 
vapor11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSwede21 View Post
skill doesn't vary much between A/AA/AAA because they just mean how many players there are in the association, not the skill level of the team itself.
You can't honestly believe that right?

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:24 PM
  #13
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
This big:
|-------------------------------|
I measured the gap very accurately the other day, and it's actually only this big:
|--------------------|

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:31 PM
  #14
Kulluminati
Registered User
 
Kulluminati's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I measured the gap very accurately the other day, and it's actually only this big:
|--------------------|
i can second this

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:09 PM
  #15
Iplayhockehh
Registered User
 
Iplayhockehh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Surrey
Country: Canada
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I measured the gap very accurately the other day, and it's actually only this big:
|--------------------|
I respectfully disagree and choose to support the original gap that was stated above. No offence to you, however.

Iplayhockehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:21 AM
  #16
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplayhockehh View Post
I respectfully disagree and choose to support the original gap that was stated above. No offence to you, however.
Offence taken regardless, I take great pride in my gap measuring skills.

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:16 AM
  #17
Iplayhockehh
Registered User
 
Iplayhockehh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Surrey
Country: Canada
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Offence taken regardless, I take great pride in my gap measuring skills.
Made me chuckle,

Here's some real advice. Play the game you played in house, have the same confidence you had in house. If you do that you'll be fine. Obviously there will be a difference in speed but you'll get used to it about 5 minutes into the game.

Iplayhockehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 04:51 AM
  #18
izzy3
Registered User
 
izzy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I measured the gap very accurately the other day, and it's actually only this big:
|--------------------|
That is possible; I'm a small guy, gaps seem bigger to me than they are...

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:08 PM
  #19
Iplayhockehh
Registered User
 
Iplayhockehh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Surrey
Country: Canada
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
That is possible; I'm a small guy, gaps seem bigger to me than they are...
Don't worry about it! Your theory proved to be a basis for gap measurer's everywhere!

Iplayhockehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 07:07 PM
  #20
shawn1331
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
I'm not sure what age group you are(if you typed it im too lazy to go up and look) but I play house league outside of highschool and I play varsity in highschool. My school is a "AA" school (we have about 550 people). There are 8 teams in our loop, 3 "AA" and 5 "AAA". When it comes to speed I keep up just fine its really not bad at all. Skill wise, yeah theres some good players out there but alot of players I'm almost on par with.

The biggest problem for me is size. I'm barely 5'6 off skates and 130 lbs. Most of the players we play are 6'+ off skates and 180 lbs. Because they play in AA and AAA leagues they work out alot so they are very strong and conditioned so try speed not strength in the corners.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 09:07 PM
  #21
SauceHockey
Retired
 
SauceHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: p
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 3,985
vCash: 500
Weel the tourny is finished. It was a 4 team tourny and this is how my performance went. We finished 2nd. I had 2G and 1A during 4 Games.

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 10:27 PM
  #22
Eamonn*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,395
vCash: 500
^good job .

Anyways..

In the lower mainland.. A is the highest level, B is the second highest, and C is house. But in each of those levels, there are 'tiers'. Tier 1 has all the best teams, and there are 6 tiers in total per level. So I guess tier 1 and 2 would be AAA, tier 3 and 4 would be AA, and tier 5 and 6 would be A, of the 'A' level.

Guess thats not how it is where you are.

Also does anyone know why schools in the USA have highschool hockey yet not one school in the Vancouver area has hockey? It's baffling to me.. I would have killed to play highschool hockey but its not a thing around here.

Eamonn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 07:58 PM
  #23
shawn1331
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
^good job .

Anyways..

In the lower mainland.. A is the highest level, B is the second highest, and C is house. But in each of those levels, there are 'tiers'. Tier 1 has all the best teams, and there are 6 tiers in total per level. So I guess tier 1 and 2 would be AAA, tier 3 and 4 would be AA, and tier 5 and 6 would be A, of the 'A' level.

Guess thats not how it is where you are.

Also does anyone know why schools in the USA have highschool hockey yet not one school in the Vancouver area has hockey? It's baffling to me.. I would have killed to play highschool hockey but its not a thing around here.
Oh, weird out here every school has a hockey team if they have the interest. Is it possible your school HAD a team and did something to lose it's privalige, or there isn't any rinks around? Maybe your the only school within driving distance?

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:40 PM
  #24
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1331 View Post
Oh, weird out here every school has a hockey team if they have the interest. Is it possible your school HAD a team and did something to lose it's privalige, or there isn't any rinks around? Maybe your the only school within driving distance?
Pretty sure that Vancouver just doesn't have high school hockey, period, or at least didn't for a long time. I believe it's starting to creep in slowly, I think there are the odd teams in the suburbs now, but it's not a city with lots of highschool hockey like, say, Toronto. I think part of it is that hockey hasn't traditionally been quite as popular in Vancouver as it is now, it's not like the rest of Canada where you can just get started in the sport at an early age on endless outdoor rinks. Growing up in Toronto I feel like almost all of my male friends played organized hockey at some point, or at least would play shinny outside, but the majority of the guys I've become friends with in Vancouver (who are Vancouver natives) don't play the sport. Plenty of guys who play too, but not the same as in Toronto, and definitely not the same as in small town Ontario, where hockey is even more popular, so you can see why HS hockey has been slow getting here. That and the fact that it'd be tough to find ice time, there's a decent number of rinks, but not a crazy number, I'd say that in Vancouver, Burnaby, Richmond, New West and North Van combined there are maybe 20 rinks, servicing about 1 million people. Ice times in this sort of "core" of Greater Vancouver are already pretty damn booked up with beer leagues, minor hockey, etc.


Last edited by ponder: 12-21-2011 at 08:51 PM.
ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 02:38 PM
  #25
shawn1331
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Pretty sure that Vancouver just doesn't have high school hockey, period, or at least didn't for a long time. I believe it's starting to creep in slowly, I think there are the odd teams in the suburbs now, but it's not a city with lots of highschool hockey like, say, Toronto. I think part of it is that hockey hasn't traditionally been quite as popular in Vancouver as it is now, it's not like the rest of Canada where you can just get started in the sport at an early age on endless outdoor rinks. Growing up in Toronto I feel like almost all of my male friends played organized hockey at some point, or at least would play shinny outside, but the majority of the guys I've become friends with in Vancouver (who are Vancouver natives) don't play the sport. Plenty of guys who play too, but not the same as in Toronto, and definitely not the same as in small town Ontario, where hockey is even more popular, so you can see why HS hockey has been slow getting here. That and the fact that it'd be tough to find ice time, there's a decent number of rinks, but not a crazy number, I'd say that in Vancouver, Burnaby, Richmond, New West and North Van combined there are maybe 20 rinks, servicing about 1 million people. Ice times in this sort of "core" of Greater Vancouver are already pretty damn booked up with beer leagues, minor hockey, etc.
Woowza that's rough lol. I am a little suprised by that but totally makes sense. I know out here there is a rink in practically every town, my town has just under 600 ppl and we have arguably the nicest ice in clarington. The only schools that don't play HS hockey lost the privalege. Like CCSS and Kenner had a bench clearing brawl last year that ended up with about 230 days of suspension from school between the 2 teams, so this year they said forget it your not playing for both those teams.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.