Lose, Florida, Lose.

Old
12-18-2011, 07:23 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
I personally am in a "hope every damn Eastern Conference team" loses mode and when two Eastern Conference teams play each other I hope and pray that it doesn't go into OT since it'll be a 3 point game instead of a 2 point game.

As far as I am concerned, the Jets are in direct competition with all the Eastern Conference teams for a play-off spot. You never know who they'll be up against going down to the wire in April, so I'm hoping none of the others get point now or any time until we know for sure the Jets final standing.
100% agree. Whenever I'm scoreboards watching all I want to see is west beating east, or anyone a head of us losing.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:26 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Meh, as a former Thrashers fan, it wouldn't kill me to see Florida in over us, but for this year only since next year we won't be in the same division. They deserve a shot at the playoffs after all of these failing years. Of course, I don't expect any Winnipeggers to feel this way as you have no connection to Florida at all.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:41 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
florida is legit i just dont see them slowing down

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 04:28 PM
DjFraser

vCash: 500
Although I love to see lesser skilled teams doing well through hard work and good coaching (Panthers, Wild, Jets)

Wild and Panthers are inconsistent and I do not see them faring well in a seven game series against teams built for the playoffs (Canucks, Detroit, Boston, Philly)

Imo

DjFraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFraser View Post
Although I love to see lesser skilled teams doing well through hard work and good coaching (Panthers, Wild, Jets)

Wild and Panthers are inconsistent and I do not see them faring well in a seven game series against teams built for the playoffs (Canucks, Detroit, Boston, Philly)

Imo
You're probably right.

I for one am just happy to see them competitive again. I missed their old days with Vanbiesbrouck and what not.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Kismet

Lose, Toronto, Lose.

Kismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:49 PM
DerekDevils30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Florida and New Jersey are two teams in front of us in the standings that I cannot see keeping up their pace.

In both cases, I'm not sold on their goaltenders. I don't see Theodore being able to maintain his performance over an entire season. Similarly, Brodeur is a shadow of his former self and is allowing weak goal after weak goal, yet NJ keeps finding a way to squeak out a win. Hedberg has been pretty good, but I doubt they hand over the reigns to him and even if they do, I don't know if he can handle the duties of a #1 goalie.
Hedberg has been the Devils best goalie this season. The team seems to play better in front of him for whatever reason.

The defensive zone coverage has been as bad as I've seen. People missing assignments left and right. It's not just the defense, either. The forwards seem a bit out of whack. Deboer's system is the exact opposite of Lemaire. Instead of sitting back and collapsing, they are pressuring the puck almost all the time. The PK is the best in the league but they can't defend 5 on 5. Weird.

The reason the Devils are winning is this...

Parise-Henrique-Kovalchuk
Sykora-Elias-Zubrus
Tedenby-Zajac-Clarkson

A deep top nine. The offense has come around as of late and has been aided by the return of Zajac who is one of the top defensive centres in the league. The emergence of Henrique has also been a key to their success.

Until the defensive zone gets cleaned up, they will have to rely on the offense and a puck possession game to win games. That has worked for them of late. I expect the team to be fighting for the 6th, 7th, and 8th playoff spots.

DerekDevils30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:52 PM
debar1982

Florida is winning way too many close games, could almost easily be a losing record when you think about it. Still early in the season for a good ol collapse.

debar1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by nab2488 View Post
While it is awesome that they are doing so well. Lets not get to worked up. As the thrashers they have had many seasons when they started hot and cooled later in the season. Hopefully, that does not happen again but there are many game ahead.
Actually, that's not at all correct. We've always started pathetically slow before someone finally read the memo that the season started, igniting us to finish strong, but still miss. Those slow starts killed the season before it had a chance to get going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFraser View Post

Imo
Plenty of skill, but yes we're a blue collar team. We'd be ecstatic to just make it in, and I'm hoping we can make a few moves at the deadline to keep us competitive throughout.

And we can only meet the Wings and Nucks in the Finals, that would be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debar1982 View Post
Florida is winning way too many close games, could almost easily be a losing record when you think about it. Still early in the season for a good ol collapse.
True, but we've had a lot of injuries lately, too. (Skille, Goc, Upshall, and now Bergenheim. Just got Samuelsson back) Good teams find a way to win, couldn't say that about our teams in previous years.

So far as the poster who said we don't have any fans, I was ready to quote that post and go on with my usual as well mannered as possible reply. Then I read further and saw several of you come to our defense. Thank you. People here love the Panthers, it was proven when we missed the playoffs to Montreal and how people were showing up. The rats are back! Hoping they're here to stay! Team has missed for over a decade thanks to our horrendous previous owner. Guy couldn't get out of his own way. Still, people came out. Hawks and Bruins both had some serious attendance issues when they were down and out. As did the Pens and Caps. Lose for this long, see where you're at.

In any case, thank you, and take good care.

Win, Panthers, win...and yes, lose TO lose! Glad to see the Peg's turning it on. Not sure how to feel since ATL lost their team, but you guys know that sting well.

12-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Gotta say I enjoyed the rats after the OT win. It's been too long.

12-19-2011, 08:10 PM
blueandgoldguy

I don't think the Panthers can sustain their success over a full season. Team relies too much on 3 individuals (Versteeg, Weiss and Fleischmann) to do most of the scoring. They won't be able to keep up this pace. Unless they start getting a substantive increase in secondary scoring I could see a dramatic fall in the standings. Maybe the GM will make a trade to help the Panthers out in this regard.

Still.............it's cool to see the rats back on the ice.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:21 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

florida didn't lose for us the other night, but the leafs and habs both lost tonight!

mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:59 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Was there 35 yrs ago

Damn Leafs got a point tonight in a SO. Jets win tomorrow and the Buffalo loses in regulation time and we'll in a play-off spot.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:56 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
Damn Leafs got a point tonight in a SO. Jets win tomorrow and the Buffalo loses in regulation time and we'll in a play-off spot.
*IF* we are able to win tonight and manage to beat the Islanders by more than 2 goals, I believe we'll leapfrog the Leafs too. Same points, same W-L-T record, same number of games played, and the Jets are -8 vs the Leafs -6 goal differential, so it should come down to the point differential.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 07:08 AM
Kismet

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
*IF* we are able to win tonight and manage to beat the Islanders by more than 2 goals, I believe we'll leapfrog the Leafs too. Same points, same W-L-T record, same number of games played, and the Jets are -8 vs the Leafs -6 goal differential, so it should come down to the point differential.
I believe that ROW comes after points and GP in determining standings (with differential being fourth)? If so, with a win, the Jets will pass the Leafs. Jets have 14 wins in Regulation/OT. Leafs have 13.

Kismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 07:27 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
I believe that ROW comes after points and GP in determining standings (with differential being fourth)? If so, with a win, the Jets will pass the Leafs. Jets have 14 wins in Regulation/OT. Leafs have 13.
Ah yes - you are correct! Good - just win! If the Jets pass the Leafs in the standings, my co-workers will hate me tomorrow.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 07:57 AM
The Fat Kid
1999-2011

anyone else expecting the caps and lightening to turn their **** around? never expected the panthers to be doing so well and never thought the aforementioned teams would be doing so ******.

The Fat Kid is offline   Reply With Quote