HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bruins Fall to the Canadiens! NOT!

Old
12-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Jigger77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkMuller93 View Post
Im not picking on you here cause your comment actually make sense this time, but

If they were not willing to wait till the end of the year to fire him and stick Cunneyworth in now doesnt that give you a sign of how the players lost respect for him?
No. It tells me that the head office panicked.

I don't see any signs other than maybe a little possible pouting by Cammalleri that he had lost that room. And even there who knows what the guy is really thinking.

Just my opinion though.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:00 AM
bravehab

Send a message via MSN to bravehab
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I defended JM and all, but I do think Cunneyworth will get us back on track. This team is better than the teams that have been more consistent and have not dealt with the problems we are now. What is happening is that a lot of unfortunate things are happening in succession. It's easy to attribute it to some systemic "players suck" hypothesis, but IMO this is just a lot of bad luck and bad decisions happening game in and game out. The more it happens, the more this positive feedback loop continues. Again, we keep losing by ONE goal. It's always 1 mistake. And this is against the best teams. Yes it's because of blown leads and yes we should be able to win by more, but really it's a cumulative effect of never being able to get everyone going and a little bit of bad luck thrown in (which the injuries could at least account for). The teams that beat us, it's like Christmas every time for them, the amount of gifts we give them.

Cunneyworth has to do this, and he will:

Cut out the mistakes
Get the forecheck going
Empower the forwards (cammy has looked a lot better the last two games)
Teach rather than bench. Subban won't be trying that again, but I can bet you he'll be rushing the puck perhaps even more

We can still turn this around, just seriously, cut out the first part and we already would have won many more games. We have the right players for this and if we can hang on 'til Markov (mind you we're lucky to have gotten this much help from other struggling EC teams), we'll be good. Our PK is great, that's something to really build on.

oh absolutely on the bad luck
im not saying the team doesnt have its problems but the bad juju is there too
the slump, the loss of confidence, guys trying to hard and making dumb plays
thinking instead of acting...its a cycle
and how do you get out of it b/c its hard to try not to try?
we see this all the time in all sports

bravehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:09 AM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravehab View Post
oh absolutely on the bad luck
im not saying the team doesnt have its problems but the bad juju is there too
the slump, the loss of confidence, guys trying to hard and making dumb plays
thinking instead of acting...its a cycle
and how do you get out of it b/c its hard to try not to try?
we see this all the time in all sports
I think it's reached the point where we have to accept it. Embrace it even. Teams suck, they get better, they suck again. I am not saying there is nothing to criticize about our club, our management. I do it all the time. The point is, for all our outrage we really have no control over it. And banging our fists, rioting, boycotting this or that, calling 911, all these things do not help us. It just makes our rivals happier, gives em something more to mock us with. This stuff is beyond our control. It's got all of us fighting amongst ourselves, pulling our hair out, and fans of our rival teams enjoy this situation even more. What is the point in making ourselves more miserable, working ourselves into a frenzy over things we have no power to change.

I love the Habs, and I want them to win, but in the end, this is all just a game. We will be back on top again.

Last edited by andy28: 12-20-2011 at 11:15 AM.
andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:10 AM
habtastic

From Cunney:

"Offensively, we have to just get pucks on the net early and make him make a save with a good drive," he said.

"We had to persuade the guys to do that. It didn't come to them naturally," said Cunneyworth.

"Persuading them to do that made them realize we were getting opportunities, getting second chances," he added.

"You're not going to beat goalies at this level with those first shots. It's those second and third shots, and once we got them, we put them at risk. If we can start that, it will take of itself."

He gets what we all want.
Things will change.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:14 AM
Protest the Hero

I wonder if there's a place that has kept track of how many Montreal goals were scored on rebounds, I bet you could count it on one hand.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:16 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
I think it's reached the point where we have to accept it. Embrace it even. Teams suck, they get better, they suck again. I am not saying there is nothing to criticize about our club, our management. I do it all the time. The point is, for all our outrage we really have no control over it. And banging our fists, rioting, boycotting this or that, calling 911, all these things do not help us. It just makes our rivals happier, gives em something more to mock us with. This stuff is beyond our control. It's got all of us fighting amongst ourselves, pulling our hair out, and fans of our rival teams enjoy this situation even more.
Yeah, I think that's quite true. As bravehab said, it happens a lot in sports. I see it casually in basketball or football highlights (for which I don't care, but on sportscenter, etc.). Teams just get hit with bad luck which may also manifest as players playing badly for extended periods. The only way out is to climb out of it.

I think a lot of people on the boards have accepted the malchance and the situation, yet we keep watching the games to see what will go wrong this time. I'm an optimist and given that late season rushes are possible, I'm going to continue to see how this plays out and FTR, I do believe this team is capable of pulling up its bootstraps. The Nokelainen line was the line that gave us the most jump. I strongly feel without them we wouldn't have seen any push from the other lines. I like what our new (completely competent) coach is doing. Cammy got robbed last night, but he was in the right spots and the feed to Plekanec showed a lot of skill and patience. We'll get it right.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:17 AM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
His second full year. Under too much pressure. You will eat your words. You need to be around about 30 years to realize it takes NHL D men 3 years to really get going.
Are you saying that i'm under 30 years old? because I actually started watching the Habs after they won their 85/86 cup.

Do you realize why it takes that long for them to get going?

It's usually because they have to grow into their frame, and strengthen themselves physically.

Subban's athleticism,strength and frame are not the problem. In fact it's exactly whats brought him to this level at an accelerated rate.

Hockey intelligence is a whole different matter.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:17 AM
bravehab

Quote:
I think it's reached the point where we have to accept it. Embrace it even. Teams suck, they get better, they suck again. I am not saying there is nothing to criticize about our club, our management. I do it all the time. The point is, for all our outrage we really have no control over it. And banging our fists, rioting, boycotting this or that, calling 911, all these things do not help us. It just makes our rivals happier, gives em something more to mock us with. This stuff is beyond our control. It's got all of us fighting amongst ourselves, pulling our hair out, and fans of our rival teams enjoy this situation even more.
I agree, weather the storm
if only the team could just play
as u said, forget it all and just play...see a much different team

as for the fans haha
I dont find it anything unique to Habs fans..sure there are specific issues even lang but all fan bases are this nuts
Im an Atlanta Braves fan...I know frustration, choking and getting irrational

Old
12-20-2011, 11:23 AM
maci4life

Quote:
From Cunney:

"Offensively, we have to just get pucks on the net early and make him make a save with a good drive," he said.

"We had to persuade the guys to do that. It didn't come to them naturally," said Cunneyworth.

"Persuading them to do that made them realize we were getting opportunities, getting second chances," he added.

"You're not going to beat goalies at this level with those first shots. It's those second and third shots, and once we got them, we put them at risk. If we can start that, it will take of itself."

Things will change.
Cunney gets it. It will take time for them to adapt, but they will succeed.

The habs are like an abused animal. They're scared to do anything without some sort of reprocussion. Once they get out of their mental jailcells, they'll start to flourish ( atleast offensively ).

Old
12-20-2011, 11:26 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
Cunney gets it. It will take time for them to adapt, but they will succeed.

The habs are like an abused animal. They're scared to do anything without some sort of reprocussion. Once they get out of their mental jailcells, they'll start to flourish ( atleast offensively ).
yup. I think he's definitely a player's coach with a sound strategic mind and a great set of skills necessary in today's NHL. Too bad Molson is a *****.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:27 AM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravehab View Post
as for the fans haha
I dont find it anything unique to Habs fans..sure there are specific issues even lang but all fan bases are this nuts
Im an Atlanta Braves fan...I know frustration, choking and getting irrational
Whether or not Habs fans are worse than others is one argument. I am saying let's be better fans.

If a Bruin comes on this forum to troll, let's not swear at the guy. That's exactly what he is looking for. Let those who can be nice in such a situation be nice, and those who can't ignore him.

No one can insult you, if you cannot be insulted.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:35 AM
CrazyShea

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissexpert View Post
22 mins, +1

U mad bro?

Or like Jay-Z would say: We got 99 problems but Diaz ain't one
Lol at you using plus/minus to back yourself up. They were terrible and out of position all night.

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:53 AM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Patirck Roy is on the way as coach with Pierre Mcguire as GM. Put on your seatbelts people.
I loled big time

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:57 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyShea View Post
Lol at you using plus/minus to back yourself up. They were terrible and out of position all night.
I agree. Diaz will be in the AHL soon enough i'm sure. Maybe Cunnyworth will make a Henry-Diaz switch.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:12 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The only thing Diaz is better at is communicating.

Emelin is more rugged, has better vision, has a better shot and knows when to jump in on the rush.
Emelin does not clearly have a better vision, shot or awareness of when to jump in on the rush. He is more physical and bigger which helps him win more battles in the corner but that's about it right now.

Diaz has a nice wrister from the point just like Emelin and they both rarely use their slap shot. Otherwise, I think Diaz's positionning is better which may be because of Emelin's communication problem, but the bottom line is what is important. Other wise, I actually think Diaz is better to jump in on the rush since he's a more explosive skater than Emelin (although I think Emelin is smoother). Finally, I think Emelin may have a slightly better breakout pass than Diaz, but it's no incredible by any means at the moment.

All in all, I feel Emelin may have more potential, but Diaz is deserving of his icetime right now.

Old
12-20-2011, 12:16 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
There's a point since he's a better D than Diaz, Gill or Campoli.

Campoli is god ****ing awfully stupid. Moen didn't get it out and he decides to go for a seat on the ice. Way to take yourself out of the play.... as the last man back.... again.

Some harsh judgement and generalization going on here. Following the trend I guess.

Old
12-20-2011, 12:20 PM
bravehab

Quote:
Whether or not Habs fans are worse than others is one argument. I am saying let's be better fans.

If a Bruin comes on this forum to troll, let's not swear at the guy. That's exactly what he is looking for. Let those who can be nice in such a situation be nice, and those who can't ignore him.

No one can insult you, if you cannot be insulted.

true dat

Old
12-20-2011, 12:23 PM
ClasslessGuy

wow I just saw the Journal de Montréal frontpage... how pathetic can they be...

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:54 PM
shawdowmaker

It seems like Mtl forwards lose all of their one on one battles! We need more Grittt

shawdowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:58 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawdowmaker View Post
It seems like Mtl forwards lose all of their one on one battles! We need more Grittt
gritt you say, that is provided plenty by Diaz, Weber, Campoli, right? Soft players like Emelin belong to teams like Boston. Wouldn't be funny if Emelin will sign with the Bruins next season?...

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:59 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
At least we got a good 4th line now. I loved the way they played last night. They were physical and created chances.
They played well in the way fourth lines play: they were energetic, physical, and not very useful.

If Cunneyworth is going to play that line this much in the future, especially in a game the Habs trail, we should start looking at who's available near the top of the draft.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:00 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Things will change.
He sounds like a guy who really has no idea how to coach a club and keeps repeating the same clichés. Which I don't hold against him because every coach feeds the media the "go to the net" line to get them off their back.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
He sounds like a guy who really has no idea how to coach a club and keeps repeating the same clichés. Which I don't hold against him because every coach feeds the media the "go to the net" line to get them off their back.
I like the guy. And I feel bad for him, he deserves better than this situation. But I agree this isn't really anything too substantial. Just the same crap we've heard for years.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:21 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawdowmaker View Post
It's quite obvious and simple.

Cole goes through the defence, and succeeds.
Pacioretty is close to going through the defence and is succeeding.
Kostitsyn goes through the defence and loses the puck.
The rest of the habs try to go through or around the defence and get knocked silly and fall flat on their *****.

Old
12-20-2011, 01:35 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
As clichéd as they may sound, from what I see from him, it seems like he's actually going to implement them. I really believe that he's the right coach to turn this around. Things aren't as bad as they could be in terms of making the playoffs, in fact they aren't that bad at all. What scares us is our play. This can and will IMO change under Cunneyworth.

The quote that got my attention was him clearly stating the players were not doing their jobs on their own and that they had to be shown that (I think in part by the use of the 4th line). He seems to want to communicate changes in game. Again, FTR we put a lot of shots on net in the 3rd. The bad giveaway and Thomas making KEY saves created the outcome. We played a good 3rd aside from Moen.