HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Philly Retool

Old
12-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Injuries happen to every team not just us. Markov was signed injured by our incompetent GM. The GM is also responsible to make sure the team has depth which he hasn't (forward wise). You know me Kriss I love the Habs just as much as the next guy but Pierre Gauthier needs to go and he needs to go before the trade deadline or we are ****ed for even more years to come
You are right, injuries happen to every team. People love to point out Pittsburgh, well, since losing Crosby again, they are 2-5. Eventually, injuries catch up to you. Also, we are the most injured if I recall correctly, which means, we're the ones that's suffered the most.
Injuries do happen to every team, but not every team is #1 in terms of injuries. Not to mention them happening to key players.

You can say whatever you want about the Markov deal, but I'm 100% for it. I would do it again tomorrow without any doubt. Markov is the type of player every GM would have taken a chance on. Maybe you can criticize him for the length of the deal, but don't kid yourself into thinking Markov would have signed a 1year deal here.
I'm happy with the Kaby deal as well, I wanted him signed last summer if we couldn't get Ehrhoff.

Our team is struggling, yes. But let's not become drama queens please. Things are not as bleak as most make them to be.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:28 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I would build around:

XXXXX - Plekanec - Gionta
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
XXXXX - Eller - Leblanc
XXXXX - White - XXXXX

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Kaberle - XXXXX

Price
Budaj

Time to trade Cammalleri, Gomez, Kostitsyn, Moen, Darche, Nokelainen, Campoli, Diaz, Weber to get younger, cheaper and BIGGER!!!
AK is younger, cheaper and BIGGER than Gionta!!!!

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:31 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Lol at the moving of Diaz. Seriously, I don't understand the hate this guys gets. As it stands right now he is clearly above Emelin in terms of overall play. The only thing he doesn't have is the physical play.
and that is very important for our defense...our defense is so soft...weber, diaz, campoli they are all pretyy much the same.

Old
12-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
and that is very important for our defense...our defense is so soft...weber, diaz, campoli they are all pretyy much the same.
Our defense is also struggling to play defense. Diaz is the better defenseman right now.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:40 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Our defense is also struggling to play defense. Diaz is the better defenseman right now.
And why is it struggling?...exactly!

Old
12-20-2011, 12:41 PM
PKarey Plekoretty

I'd like to see a new GM

For me, as long as Price, Patches, PK, Eller and Georges are kept, then I'm open to pretty much whatever

I also want Pleks and Cole to stick around to guide the young core

PKarey Plekoretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Lol at the moving of Diaz. Seriously, I don't understand the hate this guys gets. As it stands right now he is clearly above Emelin in terms of overall play. The only thing he doesn't have is the physical play.
90% is about the height. Seriously this forum is obsessed with tall players no matter how tough they actually are.

We do have a bit of redundancy on defense though.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Andy

Quote:
And why is it struggling?...exactly!
It's struggling because we have guys playing minutes they shouldn't be. Diaz's defensive game is superior to Emelin's and we're missing that in the lineup right now. Also it was like night and day with Diaz in the lineup on the defensive side of the game. He is the superior defenseman right now and if he was 6'1 instead of 5'11(physical or not physical) we wouldn't be having this conversation(nor would we if Emelin's defensive game was superior as well.)

Old
12-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
90% is about the height. Seriously this forum is obsessed with tall players no matter how tough they actually are.

We do have a bit of redundancy on defense though.
Yes we do have too many similar players, but I don't think Diaz should be the one to get the boot when he has been superior. Gill is the one that should be set aside, but it won't happen. Emelin is going to have to wait.

It's two coaches now that prefer Diaz to Emelin and play Diaz 20+ minutes.

Instead of being happy that the team signed this guy for free, they hate him because they prefer another player in the lineup, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Old
12-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Aurel Joliat

Our D is a real joke. Probably the smaller in the league. And our only 2 guys over 6 feets are Hal ''Soft'' Gill and Elexei ''Healthy scratch'' Emelin.

Check how Colorado built their defensive with Johnson, O'Brien, Hejda, O'Byrne, Wilson, Quincey...

I miss the time we had big defenseman like Quintal or Rivet. We must trade for guys like Sheldon Brookbank, John Erskine etc. Name me 1 other team that doen't have a big physical defenseman ? Even Detroit signed Commodore this summer !

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
Our D is a real joke. Probably the smaller in the league. And our only 2 guys over 6 feets are Hal ''Soft'' Gill and Elexei ''Healthy scratch'' Emelin.

Check how Colorado built their defensive with Johnson, O'Brien, Hejda, O'Byrne, Wilson, Quincey...

I miss the time we had big defenseman like Quintal or Rivet. We must trade for guys like Sheldon Brookbank, John Erskine etc. Name me 1 other team that doen't have a big physical defenseman ? Even Detroit signed Commodore this summer !
That really isn't a good model on how to build your blue line, Avs overcompensated for having puck moving smurfs last year by going with huge D this year and if Wilson didn't found his puck moving skills, or if Elliot didn't make the team they would be in a big trouble.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:07 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Management, and upper management have a philosophy that doesn't work in today's game. Nothing will change until Molson has the balls to wipe out everyone from the top down who think building a team around small players will accomplish anything.
bang on , there is no similarity with us and the Flyers rebuild , none

they had a better , younger core plus they have a great GM who has the nuts to pull of gutsy trades , WE DONT

we patch , bandaid but never fix anything

they traded away 2 solid players and turned thier team into a contender again this year , with a better cap , flexibility, more youth and hope

they milked Carter and Richards into top young kids

there is no hope in hell our GM will do that , gamble on a potential down the line payoff , of 1 step back for 2 forward .

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
To reply to you and "Habs"

The only one really left from a few years ago in regards to management is PG, and maybe Gainey if you want associate the two. .
I am including Boivin in upper management, he has kept a job here since Corey left in 1999.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
We need more of these type of players in the lineup, especially that big number one centre who can score 80+ points a season!!
Remember, if you are to believe Bob Gainey, he brought that in with Scott Gomez

I am starting to think this search for this center just will never ever happen. How many years are we going on?

Heck, i would be a bit happier if Montreal could finally land ANY player that can consistently put up 75 points a year. However there is something always rotten in Montreal where offense just dries up. I cant remember the last player who consistently thrived offensively in Montreal.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:20 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I am including Boivin in upper management, he has kept a job here since Corey left in 1999.
Pierre Boivin was let go last year and official this summer, Molson is the took over his role as President.

Boivin son now has a job with the Habs, but all he does just handle travel arrangements and stuff.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:38 PM
m00ks

Philly success is directly attributed to depth mainly due to homerun drafting which weren't even lottery picks: Carter, Richards and Giroux. Combine that with ballsy trading and free agent signings in Pronger and Timmonen and the rest is simple fine tuning.

Were ok if we can flip Gomez/Gionta/Cammaleri into players who would earn their salary. I don't mind keeeping one of Gio or Cammaleri but our team would look ridiculously different with say 13 million of salary invested in something else.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:46 PM
FF de Mars

In a fantasy world, a new management would trade for Staal and sign Parise and Suter; as well as cleaning the house with all those contracts to overpaid smurfs. It would take a genius of a GM to pull all those strings and make all that happen (like the Sedins story). It will never happen, I know.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:51 PM
WestIslander

Quote:
AK is younger, cheaper and BIGGER than Gionta!!!!
Buddy, you will never find a better captain than Gionta on the current roster, Gionta stay's and retires in Montreal!!!

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Protest the Hero

Would replacing Cammalleri with Parise give us a star PPG player finally?

ie. trade Cammy for a first, sign Parise for $1m higher cap hit.

or would Parise follow the same path as everyone else who signs here and settle into a 60-70 point winger?

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Jakomyte

I agree if what you are saying is that we don't need to ship out everyone to make this team better. If we do end up finishing out of the playoffs this year, hopefully with a top 6-8 pick, it could help us to re-sign some of our FAs (Price, Subban, Gorges, etc.) to lower $$ deals. I'd be happy going forward with this:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Cole
Cammalleri-XXXX-Gionta
Kostitsyn-Eller-Leblanc
Moen-XXXX-XXXX
XXXX

Markov-Gorges
XXXX-Subban
Kaberle-Emelin
Weber

Price
Budaj

As much as Desharnais has impressed me this season, I still feel that our team is limited if we keep him as a top 6 center. Maybe if he is our 4th line center, while playing on the PP, but I think if we can get a more complete 2nd line center it would help. Desharnais could also be packaged with someone like Diaz/Weber and/or a prospect to trade for this center. Doesn't have to be a world beater, but maybe someone like Jarret Stoll? Wouldn't mind some guys on the 4th line that can hit and possibly fight if needed, although they do not have to be enforcers. I'd be good with 2 more Travis Moens the way he's played this year.

On D I'd like a sold top 4 defensive D to solidify what I think should be a good core going forward. If either Weber or Diaz can serve as trade bait, they can be swapped in/out as the 7th D.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 03:04 PM
WestIslander

I would page Mike Cammalleri with Yannick Weber and try to get someone to take Gomez from us and throw in a 2nd round draft pick or a prospect a la Danny Kristo.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 03:18 PM
NotProkofievian

Gomez is gone one way or another.

Cammalleri is a piece that I would look at flipping if we could get a younger, and bigger player for him and a pick. It doesn't necessarily even have to be a power-forward, but that would be nice. It could even be a player like Semin. Yes, I know Semin has heart issues, but he at least has game breaking talent. Cammi's got heart issues too, and he's just useless when he's not in position for a one-timer.

So yes, find some way to turn Cammi into a Semin, or a Ryan.

Patches - Plek - Gionta
Semin - DD - Cole
AK - Eller - Leblanc
Moen - Noke - White

Markov - Gorges
Emelin - Subban
Kaberle - XXXX

Price

All in all, I think Montreal is closer than some people think. A couple judicious moves, and maybe a high draft pick this year that would yield and impact forward could set us up for the next few years. It doesn't even have to be THAT high of a pick with guys like Galchenyuk, Aberg, Collberg, Girgensons, Zharkov and Faksa all floating around from ~10 to 30.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 03:45 PM
bryan1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
I agree if what you are saying is that we don't need to ship out everyone to make this team better. If we do end up finishing out of the playoffs this year, hopefully with a top 6-8 pick, it could help us to re-sign some of our FAs (Price, Subban, Gorges, etc.) to lower $$ deals. I'd be happy going forward with this:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Cole
Cammalleri-XXXX-Gionta
Kostitsyn-Eller-Leblanc
Moen-XXXX-XXXX
XXXX

Markov-Gorges
XXXX-Subban
Kaberle-Emelin
Weber

Price
Budaj

As much as Desharnais has impressed me this season, I still feel that our team is limited if we keep him as a top 6 center. Maybe if he is our 4th line center, while playing on the PP, but I think if we can get a more complete 2nd line center it would help. Desharnais could also be packaged with someone like Diaz/Weber and/or a prospect to trade for this center. Doesn't have to be a world beater, but maybe someone like Jarret Stoll? Wouldn't mind some guys on the 4th line that can hit and possibly fight if needed, although they do not have to be enforcers. I'd be good with 2 more Travis Moens the way he's played this year.

On D I'd like a sold top 4 defensive D to solidify what I think should be a good core going forward. If either Weber or Diaz can serve as trade bait, they can be swapped in/out as the 7th D.

finally someone I agree with. Everyone keeps posting team of the future with Desharnais as second line center. This team will never be a top tier team if that is the best we can offer as second line center!

bryan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 05:01 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan1966 View Post
finally someone I agree with. Everyone keeps posting team of the future with Desharnais as second line center. This team will never be a top tier team if that is the best we can offer as second line center!
That's hilarious. If there are 2 midgets I can keep, it would be DD and Gallagher.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 05:06 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan1966 View Post
Don't fix things that aren't problems. Too many small players on this team is a problem, but that doesn't mean you get rid of all of them just because they're small.

DD's one of our most productive forwards, and arguably the reason for the production on our most productive line. What's more is that he probably doesn't have that much value on the trade market currently.

Even if you think that Desharnais must eventually be moved, now's not the time to do it. He's obviously only going to get better. Let him get better to the point where he's either a.) indispensable, or b.) has more value than he has now.

Trading him now is nothing but bleeding talent, which is probably the biggest problem our team has had for the last 2 decades.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote