HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Just make the playoffs...

Old
12-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Habsrule

vCash: 500
Just make the playoffs...

All I want is for the Habs to make the playoffs. With how bad of a season has been the Habs are only two points out of the playoffs with 48 games left to play.

Take a look at the roster and tell me that they can not do damage if they have a fully healthy roster.

Gionta-Plekanec-Cammalleri
Paccioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Eller-Gomez-Kostitsyn
Moen-Nokolainen-White
x-Darche, Blunden, Leblanc

Markov-Subban
Kaberle-Emelin
Gorges-Gill
x-Diaz, Weber, Campoli

That defense would be one of the best in the NHL.

I think that if we just make the playoffs we could do some damage.

What do you guys think?

Habsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Aurel Joliat

No, please, miss the playoffs ! It will be the end of Gauthier

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Coldplay
Courage

I ascribe to the theory we could always do some damage in the right situation, but I'm sick of hoping to make the playoffs every year.

I'm downright tired of being on the bubble. Wish we could stop paying so much attention to the standings in late February/early March like other more fortunate teams...

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:06 PM
A1
Set Sail For Fail

losing to the bruins or leafs in the playoffs sucks a lot more than not making them.

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:06 PM
GinoCyber*

If Cunny can flush the JM system out of their minds and instill a system that uses our full potential and we can stop making brutal turnovers in our zone, I think we would be in good shape.

GinoCyber* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Even if we make the playoffs, it'll most likely be the same old story it's always been since the last cup.

I hope the Habs will be sellers at the deadline and just focus on rebuilding the team with youth. I'm sick and tired of temporary bandaid fixes, battling for the 8th spot, and losing in the 1st round. Hopefully there's GMs out there dumb enough to take our bad contracts.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:12 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAtTheCoolTable View Post
Even if we make the playoffs, it'll most likely be the same old story it's always been since the last cup.

I hope the Habs will be sellers at the deadline and just focus on rebuilding the team with youth. I'm sick and tired of temporary bandaid fixes, battling for the 8th spot, and losing in the 1st round.
This.

Molson doesn't have the balls though.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrule View Post
Take a look at the roster and tell me that they can not do damage if they have a fully healthy roster.

Gionta-Plekanec-Cammalleri
Paccioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Eller-Gomez-Kostitsyn
Moen-Nokolainen-White
x-Darche, Blunden, Leblanc
Not really sure that the return of Gomez and White will be the difference-maker....

Quote:
Markov-Subban
Kaberle-Emelin
Gorges-Gill
x-Diaz, Weber, Campoli

That defense would be one of the best in the NHL
We have 5/6 of that defense available now. It's doesn't look like 5/6 of one of the best defenses in the NHL.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:15 PM
larek

Quote:

I hope the Habs will be sellers at the deadline and just focus on rebuilding the team with youth. I'm sick and tired of temporary bandaid fixes, battling for the 8th spot, and losing in the 1st round. Hopefully there's GMs out there dumb enough to take our bad contracts.
something has to change- just making the playoffs by the skin of there teeth just isnt goign to do it for me anymore(really never did)
time for some real change- miss the playoffs- trade players away at the deadline fire Goat and gainey and timmons- bring in new regime - rebuild properly -

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

I'm tired of the "just make the playoff" mentality. I want us to miss the playoffs and clean this house and start with a new mentality.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I ascribe to the theory we could always do some damage in the right situation, but I'm sick of hoping to make the playoffs every year.

I'm downright tired of being on the bubble. Wish we could stop paying so much attention to the standings in late February/early March like other more fortunate teams...
The whole "sneaking into the playoffs" crap is way overblown.

Two years ago Boston, Montreal and Phillie, finished 6-7-8 and two of those met in the conference final. The 3rd won their 1st round series and lost the second in 7.

Even games we are losing against top teams are usually 1 goal games or OT/SO. Missing 1/4 of the roster all year we hvae done well against top teams. Let's get healthy, tighten up in our own end especially brutal giveways and bonehead plays like the last few games.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Stradale

I want our team to be like the Blackhawks, Red Wings, Sharks, Pens, Canucks, Flyers, Bruins that can aim at the Stanley Cup every year, at the start of the season.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:19 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I'm tired of the "just make the playoff" mentality. I want us to miss the playoffs and clean this house and start with a new mentality.
yes- but has to be some new ideas - not these old stuufy ways and such a wimpy team- this org needs some bravado from a manager and the same for this team and ENOUGH of bringing over the hill players in with big contracts- thats been a recipe for fail- if you cant trade for or sign a prime in your prime player - tyhen go with the young players
and you will have a chance to draft a prime player- it isnt rocket science

Old
12-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
something has to change- just making the playoffs by the skin of there teeth just isnt goign to do it for me anymore(really never did)
time for some real change- miss the playoffs- trade players away at the deadline fire Goat and gainey and timmons- bring in new regime - rebuild properly -
Agree with firing most of the old regime, but I'd keep Trevor Timmins, he's done a good job. It's not his fault that management trades away the guys he drafts.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
I want our team to be like the Blackhawks, Red Wings, Sharks, Pens, Canucks, Flyers, Bruins that can aim at the Stanley Cup every year, at the start of the season.
Tell that to the Bruins' fans who wanted Julian and Chiarelli fired last February/March/after two games of the first round of the playoffs.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:21 PM
hoockeyrocks

I think this will be the best year to miss the playoffs honestly!

The Canadiens have a good core group, but some members are missing that we can get in the first 10 draft spots if we play the cards right.

hoockeyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Sign me up for "just make the playoffs". That's where the magic starts. I'll never understand fans who don't want to see their team make the playoffs.

It never *has* to be mutually exclusive with other progressive moves that make the team even better down the road. (And in fact, gaining playoff experience is part of the building process in and of itself, even during abbreviated playoff runs - or losses to the Bruins, etc).

Jacques Martin was fired with the Habs sneaking out a record just above .500 and the team well within striking distance of a playoff spot, despite another deluge of injury troubles. For example. No reason the team couldn't make other big changes at the management, coaching, or player personnel levels even after making the playoffs. If that's what you're hoping for.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:24 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoockeyrocks View Post
I think this will be the best year to miss the playoffs honestly!

The Canadiens have a good core group, but some members are missing that we can get in the first 10 draft spots if we play the cards right.
\

not so sure of the good core

Old
12-20-2011, 12:25 PM
reffree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
Tell that to the Bruins' fans who wanted Julian and Chiarelli fired last February/March/after two games of the first round of the playoffs.
Some are happy to make the playoff, some wants more ...

I would like if the Habs wanted something more too ...

reffree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
When will people get it through there head there are 30 teams in the NHL trying to win a cup, making the playoffs is a huge step after that anything can happen especially with the parody in the league today.

Habs fans especially the negative ones on here are pathetic, they have this idea that Montreal is entitled to something better or that the next GM will be much improved when reality is that it most likely wont, players still don't want to come here and there are 29 other teams in the NHL who are trying just as hard.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Sign me up for "just make the playoffs". That's where the magic starts. I'll never understand fans who don't want to see their team make the playoffs.

It never *has* to be mutually exclusive with other progressive moves that make the team even better down the road. (And in fact, gaining playoff experience is part of the building process in and of itself, even during abbreviated playoff runs - or losses to the Bruins, etc).

Jacques Martin was fired with the Habs sneaking out a record just above .500 and the team well within striking distance of a playoff spot, despite another deluge of injury troubles. For example. No reason the team couldn't make other big changes at the management, coaching, or player personnel levels even after making the playoffs. If that's what you're hoping for.
Do you watch the games or just the standings?

Real talk..

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post

have to differ on that- i dont beleive the injured would make a big difference with this team- maybe your expectations are different than mine- but its time for a new way of doing things and rebuiding- obviously the last several seasons have shown that

Old
12-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Netro

I think we can agree on a bunch of things:
1 - This team is underachieving
2 - This team has had it's share of injuries
3 - While getting bigger recently, the skill players are still too small up front
4 - The defence has some similiar parts that are all soft
5 - The team has played a system that doesn't match the assets
6 - Overall, this team, when healthy, would need a Conn Smythe performance from its netminder and some luck to win the cup

I'm convinced that if this team played to its potential, its a playoff team. Not many, if any, things have gone the Habs way this year. Lots of injuries, underperforming players, blown leads etc..But, this team isnt a Stanley Cup championship calibre team without point #5. Playoffs? Yes. Cup contender, no, or maybe not yet. That said, of course I want this team to make the playoffs because anything can happen if you make the big dance.

I really like some of the pieces on this team - Price, PK, Gorges, Emelin, Markov (if he gets healthy), Pacioretty, Cole, Pleks, Eller, and even AK, Cammy and Gionta. I think the real issue is that individually many of the pieces are good but collectively, there are size and softness concerns.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:30 PM
hoockeyrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
\

not so sure of the good core
I guess im a rookie hockey fan, but I think have Carey Price, PK Subban, Max Pacioretty, and Josh Gorges is a good start. Plus Tomas Pleckanec and Lars Ellers are good secondary stars.

Getting rid of Cammalleri, Gomez and maybe a few others, and making room for new kids I believe will turn this franchise around

I think we get good offensive guys like Alex galchyuk, or even defense like murray, Montreal will be rocking the NHL in 2014 and on...

hoockeyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:31 PM
bravehab

Send a message via MSN to bravehab
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoCYber View Post
If Cunny can flush the JM system out of their minds and instill a system that uses our full potential and we can stop making brutal turnovers in our zone, I think we would be in good shape.

yes lets give Cunnyworth a chance here

bravehab is offline   Reply With Quote