HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Just make the playoffs...

Old
12-20-2011, 02:27 PM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

vCash: 500
Please miss !!!!!!!

Yapukov !!!!

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
So a team that went to the conference finals in 2010 and came within 1 goal(3 times) of taking out Boston is not strong?

Boston was "weak" in 09-10, what made them "strong" in 10-11...adding Kaberle Peverley and Kelly?
The 2010 team was just a case of a non-fancied team playing above their heads and going on a Cinderella run.

Almost knocking out Boston in the first round doesn't make the Habs a serious contender for the cup. I'll use last years FIFA World Cup as an example, Switzerland beat eventual champion Spain in the group stage, does that make them one of the best soccer teams in the world?

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:29 PM
andy28

Quote:
Boston was "weak" in 09-10, what made them "strong" in 10-11...adding Kaberle Peverley and Kelly?
In 08-09 Boston finished first in the conference, but choked against the Canes.
In 09-10 they were not a weak team. Correction: they finished sixth, but they were able to make the second round again. They suffered a tough loss to Philly,
but they were not a weak team.

Last edited by andy28: 12-20-2011 at 02:34 PM.
andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:31 PM
larek

Quote:
So a team that went to the conference finals in 2010 and came within 1 goal(3 times) of taking out Boston is not strong?

no they were not strong- and of course you dont mention the bruins had the 2nd highest points in the NHl 08-09- just look at the talent grit and then look at habs- shake head!

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:41 PM
andy28

We have missed opportunities for years to be a seller and try to grab some picks. If things are not looking up by February, I think its high time we cut our losses, and try to build for the future. I don't think we have to blow it all up, but it's time we moved some assets to build more from within rather than keep trying to spending ourselves to the cap to patch holes continually. Until then, lets cheer these boys on for better or for worse. Who knows?

Last edited by andy28: 12-20-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old
12-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Jigger77

A week ago, with the acquisition of Kaberle and after having picked up at least one point in every game in December minus the Chris Lee sideshow I would have and was 100% behind this and really believed and was excited for games again. We were solid 5 on 5, very strong on the PK, solid goaltending. You never know.

Now I just don't see how the team can focus on hockey and I'm not quite sure I care whether they get in or not. The firing of the coach took me from looking forward to and planning around game nights to not really caring. I don't really ever remember feeling that kind of apathy towards this organization.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAtTheCoolTable View Post
Do you honestly believe this team is built to go the distance?
I think with Price the next few years this team has a good chance certainly has shown under Martin it is capable of competing and beating some of the best teams in the playoffs. Strong goal tending is as much a part of anything to win the stanley cup. This year for sure the team looks really bad the firings and Kaberle trade came too late IMO, or Markov took way too long, while there is a chance to salvage but its pretty late.

My personal opinion is that tanking for a lottery pick on purpose is disgusting I don't ever want to see the Canadiens doing that on purpose, I don't see the Molsons or any ownership letting this happen either because of habs history and profits, not to mention Price would probably jump ship asap.

I think the writing is on the wall this team will have new management next year and most likely do a "philly" style facelift to this team. That all being said there are 29 teams other then the Habs in the NHL who are trying just as hard to get a winning staff and have advantages like no language issues and fan bases that are not nearly as hysterical or critical as Montreal.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 03:04 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
My personal opinion is that tanking for a lottery pick on purpose is disgusting I don't ever want to see the Canadiens doing that on purpose, .
If management instructed players to lose, I would consider that disgusting. If we drop in the standings further because of a decision to sell some players if we are still out of a playoff spot come deadline time, I don't think that is disgusting. I think that is wise. We might get a high pick. We trade for a few extra picks or prospects. And we free up some cash to allow us some more room in a salary cap world.

To people who would say you don't necessarily need a high pick to win, I agree absolutely. But a better draft position can help. And even if we are not looking at a top pick, we would still have to sell to get picks.

Right now we keep paying far too much salary for far too little results.

Last edited by andy28: 12-20-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old
12-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
In 08-09 Boston finished first in the conference, but choked against the Canes.
In 09-10 they were not a weak team. Correction: they finished sixth, but they were able to make the second round again. They suffered a tough loss to Philly,
but they were not a weak team.
They snuck into the playoffs in the last 2 games. I thought that was a horrible thing? Phillie went to the finals in 2010 despite sneaking in on a shootout the last game of the year.

That doesn't seem into the HF boards "tanking" logic.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Make the playoffs, lose again against the team going all the way or the SCF and make the people believe we weren't that far away. wash, rinse and repeat.......

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 03:21 PM
andy28

Quote:
They snuck into the playoffs in the last 2 games. I thought that was a horrible thing? Phillie went to the finals in 2010 despite sneaking in on a shootout the last game of the year.

That doesn't seem into the HF boards "tanking" logic.
Look at it this way, then. Those years for both Boston and Philly were obviously an anomaly, a case of underacheivement. The season before that the Bruins were number 1. They won the cup last year. They are number 1 now. Philly has been clinging to the top of the conference since then as well. We are still fighting for eighth. Eighth in 2010, in 2011, and this year we might not even make it. And both Philly and Boston have been willing to sell players for the future. Philly retooled in 07, Boston sold one of their top scorers for Seguin. We watch UFAs walk for nothing, fight for eighth, and spend to the cap just to do so.

Old
12-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
The 2010 team was just a case of a non-fancied team playing above their heads and going on a Cinderella run.

Almost knocking out Boston in the first round doesn't make the Habs a serious contender for the cup. I'll use last years FIFA World Cup as an example, Switzerland beat eventual champion Spain in the group stage, does that make them one of the best soccer teams in the world?
In one game it doesn't mean much but in a 7 game series it does.

In 2010 the 6th 7th and 8th teams who got into the playoffs the last week all made the conference semi finals. Two of those 3 made the conference finals and one went to the final. So it's a myth that "sneaking in" doesn't give you a chance to go far or go all the way.

Old
12-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Make the playoffs, lose again against the team going all the way or the SCF and make the people believe we weren't that far away. wash, rinse and repeat.......
Boston did that for years, then last year they rode a hot gaolie to the cup. Instead of just quitting and trying for a high draft pick, I prefer to keep trying to find solutions to kick start the team.

Old
12-20-2011, 03:26 PM
andy28

Quote:
In one game it doesn't mean much but in a 7 game series it does.
We have some real positives on this team. And I think our style of play tends to match up well against the Bruins.

I think there is a lot going for our guys. And this team has battled. But we cannot perform well consistently. There is more than one 7 game series to get through in the playoffs.

I am still cheering for the squad we have. I am behind them 100 percent. But if we are still lingering under a playoff spot in February, I think it is time we sold and make some room for ourselves to build from within. Rather than spend to the cap patching ourselves.

Old
12-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Boston did that for years, then last year they rode a hot gaolie to the cup. Instead of just quitting and trying for a high draft pick, I prefer to keep trying to find solutions to kick start the team.
They did have the best goalie in the league but they were also able to score goals unlike us killing the Canucks 23-8 in goals during that series. That's 3.29 GPP in the SCF, not bad at all!

Old
12-20-2011, 03:29 PM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post
losing to the bruins or leafs in the playoffs sucks a lot more than not making them.
Are you serious?

I had a great time watching the habs-bruins series last year. Ask a leafs fan how bad they would like to see their team in a 7th game overtime situation.

Then again, maybe you should just cheer for the leafs if you prefer not making the playoffs.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
No, please, miss the playoffs ! It will be the end of Gauthier
I don't want to face a long summer. The Habs might get into the second round and even further. Heck, they did it with Martin. That would please me a lot more than getting a new GM, who might turn out to be another Réjean Houle. Even if he doesn't, we might not like his solution to the Gomez-Cammalleri-Gionta situation.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
They did have the best goalie in the league but they were also able to score goals unlike us killing the Canucks 23-8 in goals during that series. That's 3.29 GPP in the SCF, not bad at all!
They got a lot of help from Luongo. My grandmother could have stopped 4-5 of those goals.

Old
12-20-2011, 03:36 PM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

Let's get some players out there who actually give a **** about what's going on..

I'm fine with losing as long as every player on the ice gives 110%

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
They got a lot of help from Luongo. My grandmother could have stopped 4-5 of those goals.
Keep finding excuses CP, we will go far with Gauthier and company!

Old
12-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post
losing to the bruins or leafs in the playoffs sucks a lot more than not making them.
The Bruins might be the ideal playoff opponent. The Habs still are able to play them play them close, winning 2 and losing by 1-0 and 3-2. And of course, it took the Bruins 7 games and 3 OTs to win last season's first round. It could go the other way.

Old
12-20-2011, 03:39 PM
JHabs61

I don't want us to make the playoffs, but I do for the pride. If we don't make them, we get a potentially top 10 pick, which is always good for the future... If we do make them, we get a 50/50 chance of going far or getting crushed in round 1. With Cunney and our players not giving their all, it's most likely the latter. I hope we can sign a big name UFA, that way Cammy maybe get knocked out of top6 until playoffs... lets face it, he is not a season performer in MTL.

JHabs61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 03:43 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Even if we make the playoffs, it'll most likely be the same old story it's always been since the last cup.

I hope the Habs will be sellers at the deadline and just focus on rebuilding the team with youth. I'm sick and tired of temporary bandaid fixes, battling for the 8th spot, and losing in the 1st round. Hopefully there's GMs out there dumb enough to take our bad contracts.
You might get sick and tired of being out of the playoffs for 2 or 3 years after the start of the rebuild. I know I would. Eventually the contracts of Gomez, Cammalleri, and Gionta will expire, along with that of Gill and Darche.

Old
12-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
Not really sure that the return of Gomez and White will be the difference-maker....

We have 5/6 of that defense available now. It's doesn't look like 5/6 of one of the best defenses in the NHL.
It's amazing how some fans overrate the Habs and others underrate them at the same tiime and even in the same thread. My mantra is Gomez...Cammalleri...Gionta..omm.

Old
12-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Keep finding excuses CP, we will go far with Gauthier and company!
Did you actually WATCH the games or is it more fun hiding behind numbers?