HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Question for Isles fans...

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2003, 05:02 PM
Missionhockey

vCash: 500
Question for Isles fans...

I was thinking to myself while watching the Isles game against Ottawa and Mark Parrish might not look so bad playing RW with Elias and Gomez. I know Lou doesn't like to trade within the conference, much less the division and the Isles in no way want to help the Devils but what would it take for the Devs to aquire him?

Old
11-03-2003, 05:26 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionHockey
I was thinking to myself while watching the Isles game against Ottawa and Mark Parrish might not look so bad playing RW with Elias and Gomez. I know Lou doesn't like to trade within the conference, much less the division and the Isles in no way want to help the Devils but what would it take for the Devs to aquire him?

First, I don't think there is any real possibility of the Isles and Devs making a trade. You are right that your GM does not like to make deals within the division (he never does, in fact). And, the Isles GM has show some hestiation about those sort of deals in recent years as well.

Second, let's get past this notion that Parrish is being shopped. He is not. There are some rumors that he would be AVAILABLE for the right package. But, I seriously doubt he gets moved anytime soon. And, if he does get moved, he'll probably be going out west.

So, bottom line: Zero chance he winds up in NJ, at least in the near future.

Old
11-03-2003, 06:22 PM
Kritty

Another question for Isles fans, how has Trent Hunter played? I see he is getting some quality points in not so quality minutes. Does it look like he's putting it together? I've always thought he coudl turn into a consistent 25-30 goal guy for the Isles.

Old
11-03-2003, 07:41 PM
Trottier
Very Random

"I know Lou doesn't like to trade within the conference, much less the division and the Isles in no way want to help the Devils but what would it take for the Devs to aquire him?"

For reasons you and Darth covered, won't happen. But, to answer your question, IMO, what the Isles would likely love to add to solidify their roster (longer-term over the season) is the following:

-A dynamic offensive ignitor to stick on Peca's wing. Isles are scoring a lot of goals, but, aside from Yashin, they lack the gamebreaker(s) you need come playoff time, e.g., Elias on the Devils.

-A physical presence on the backline. By that, we're talking about an upgrade in overall skill over Cairns. IMO, this is not a "must," but it would be nice to improve the 3rd pairing D, especially come playoff time, should they get there.

Just my opinion.

"Another question for Isles fans, how has Trent Hunter played?"

Very well. In very limited time. Need much larger sampling to get a fuller read on him in the NHL, but he seems to be one of those guys who the puck finds in the offensive zone, and he is capable of finishing. The comparison in style to Dave Andreychuk is a fair one. Working well with quick linemates (Blake; Bates) who open up ice for him. I like the kid because he is not super flashy, nor exceedingly special in any one area, just a good old fashion, hard-working hockey player. (Somewhat similar in that way to another favorite, Justin Williams, though their skillsets are different.)

Old
11-04-2003, 07:45 AM
Pure Slaughter Value

Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
Another question for Isles fans, how has Trent Hunter played?"

Very well. In very limited time. Need much larger sampling to get a fuller read on him in the NHL, but he seems to be one of those guys who the puck finds in the offensive zone, and he is capable of finishing. The comparison in style to Dave Andreychuk is a fair one. Working well with quick linemates (Blake; Bates) who open up ice for him. I like the kid because he is not super flashy, nor exceedingly special in any one area, just a good old fashion, hard-working hockey player. (Somewhat similar in that way to another favorite, Justin Williams, though their skillsets are different.)

I agree with Trottier mostly. Only difference would be that Trent is a little quicker than Andreychuk (almost everyone is/was) and he places himself a little further out in the slot. I'll add that he seems to be very smart off the puck on offense and his defense apparently has improved. His skating isn't necessarily quick, but his lateral movement is very good and he's usually in position to take a shot. Wouldn't be surprised if he turned into a 30 goal scorer.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:08 AM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
I have nothing to add to waht Trots and PSV said about Hunter, but agree with what they post.

IMO, if the Isles do decide to move a player like Parrish its because Hunter has stepped up as a cheaper replacement. Trent has looked good in his ice time and I would love to see him get a little more.

-Tiki

Old
11-04-2003, 11:43 AM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
So, bottom line: Zero chance he winds up in NJ, at least in the near future.
Of coarse, this is just for entertainment

Quote:
-A dynamic offensive ignitor to stick on Peca's wing. Isles are scoring a lot of goals, but, aside from Yashin, they lack the gamebreaker(s) you need come playoff time, e.g., Elias on the Devils
Elias is worth more than just Parrish. Elias was been inconsistent last year but so was Parrish, in fact Parrish was worse. The reason I brought up this thread is because I thought Parrish would complement Elias and Gomez.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:51 AM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Of coarse, this is just for entertainment

Elias is worth more than just Parrish. Elias was been inconsistent last year but so was Parrish, in fact Parrish was worse. The reason I brought up this thread is because I thought Parrish would complement Elias and Gomez.

Elias and Parrish are much different players. Elias is a game breaking talent, who would score 90 points a year in a more wide-open system. Parrish is a much more limited player. Good hands and grit, but not nearly as talented as the Ellias' of the league.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:55 AM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Elias and Parrish are much different players. Elias is a game breaking talent, who would score 90 points a year in a more wide-open system. Parrish is a much more limited player. Good hands and grit, but not nearly as talented as the Ellias' of the league.
Yes they are very different but that still doesn't make Parrish worth giving up Elias for.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Yes they are very different but that still doesn't make Parrish worth giving up Elias for.

When did I say that Parrish was worth Elias?

Old
11-04-2003, 12:01 PM
Missionhockey

You didn't, Trottier did.

Old
11-04-2003, 12:04 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:

I think you misunderstood him. Trottier said that he the Isles could use a gamebreaker like Ellias. He didn't suggest that Parrish would be enough to get him.

Old
11-04-2003, 12:08 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
not as I read it... I think he meant that the Isles need a game breaker like Elias, but didn't suggest it'd be a one-for-one swap...

he also suggested they needed a 3rd pairing dman - but I would think that Parrish alone could get you more than a 3rd pairing dman.

Old
11-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Missionhockey

Quote:
I think you misunderstood him. Trottier said that he the Isles could use a gamebreaker like Ellias. He didn't suggest that Parrish would be enough to get him.
ohhh *slaps self* my mistake :p

Old
11-04-2003, 02:36 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
ohhh *slaps self* my mistake :p
No slap needed.

But no illusions here of acquiring Elias for Parrish! It was just an example.

Closed Thread