HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sully Copy & Paste Column about Pegula firing everyone

Old
12-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moltenlava26 View Post
Here is where we disagree. I would have traded Campbell when his value was the highest, prior to the season. Teams knew buffalo had to unload him so all they got was a pick. At that time BC was a top 3 offensive defenseman. If you view a pick as equal compensation, well that's your opinion and it's wrong.

There were multiple reports drury, McKee, and breiere would have stayed for less than market value but DR, as usual waited too long.

So back to my original question, in your opinion, has DR not provided the correct players or is Ruffs system outdated?

If you feel there is no problem, enjoy the rest of this season and the early round exit...if they even make it that far
They tried to retain Campbell, he was a key ingredient in Ruff's pressure system. When that failed, then they moved him and they got a bumper return for him.

As for the others, ownership mandates kept contract offers shorter in term than guys were willing to take. That's not on Regier for not coming up from say, a three year offer to Briere to get to 4 when Danny was looking for five. That's on BTG/LQ.

12-20-2011, 02:35 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
define more time?

If they suffer another 1st round exit, I agree they should get rid of DR and LR.
I agree and I think most others do as well.

Anyone who thinks that DR and LR shouldn't get to play out one season, especially when half the team is on the injury shelf is....

Well, someone who belongs on my ignore list

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:36 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
So the season rolls on...
Ruff keeps making a mess of the goaltending situation
the consistent night in/night out effort is still questionable at best
they continue to blow multi goal leads
the team continues to lack an identity
(etc any other issues you've had over the years that still exist)

But they get hot in the last month, make a run, make the playoffs, and upset a team in the first round...

More of the same next year? Just because they won a round?
Not, not necessarily. Evaluate based on what happened.

No playoffs = fire DR and LR definitely
First round exit = fire DR and LR definitely
Make it past the first round = re-evaluate

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:50 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://m.torontosun.com/2011/12/16/f...g?noimage=true

Quote:
Talk in Buffalo is the Sabres would trade Derek Roy and Drew Stafford if they can find takers ...
I wonder if they are in Afinogenov limbo?

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Not, not necessarily. Evaluate based on what happened.

No playoffs = fire DR and LR definitely
First round exit = fire DR and LR definitely
Make it past the first round = re-evaluate
fair enough...

is there any circumstance in which you would advocate the move in season?

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
http://m.torontosun.com/2011/12/16/f...g?noimage=true

I wonder if they are in Afinogenov limbo?

that quote just seems so silly... find takers? look, i really dislike a lot of Derek Roy's game. But it should not be hard to "find takers" for him. Finding a good deal? sure, knowing Darcy's valuation methods.... that could be hard.

Old
12-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
I agree and I think most others do as well.

Anyone who thinks that DR and LR shouldn't get to play out one season, especially when half the team is on the injury shelf is....

Well, someone who belongs on my ignore list
yea, anyone who takes the entirety of their careers into account, instead of giving them a 4th lease on life thanks to a new owner, is clearly a crack monkey

Old
12-20-2011, 02:55 PM
moltenlava26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Again, you can twist it however you like but in the end you're twisting it to fit your argument. Regier handled the Campbell situation well. Why would you trade a top 3 offensive defenseman the season before he becomes an FA, thus forfeiting any chance of re-signing the guy?

At the time, Bernier (considered a burgeoning power-forward at the time) and a 1st round pick was a pretty good return. Bernier didn't turn out well, and again, Regier traded him before his value dropped too far and got a pretty decent return on him. And they got Ennis out of the 1st rounder.

You're saying Campbell should have been traded in the summer of 2007. The same summer the team lost it's two captains, and you're saying they should of traded their best defenseman as well? I am very glad you are not running the team.

This is not a black and white issue as you're trying to portray it. I don't necessarily think ruff's system is outdated, and I don't necessarily believe it's on Regier either. I think this team needs a change, I absolutely will not disagree with you on that, but does that mean Lindy is a bad coach or his system is outdated? Not at all. Nor does that mean Regier hasn't done his part as GM either.

I am a firm believer of every coach having a shelf life, when certain players have heard the same message for long enough, they're going to stop responding. I'm afraid that may be what we've seen with this team.
I would have traded him. At that point, the team was rebuilding. You don't lose your 2 captains (combined at that point for 70+ goals) and think championship. He hesitated on resigning Vanek because of the "code" which most GMs operate with, where you don't put offer sheets on other teams up and coming talent, and when it happened, he wasn't prepared to deal with it.

IMO, at that point, you reload. They should have sat down with Soupy in the offseason. They had to know that he wanted to be paid at the level of his performance, and that they weren't going to be able to resign him.

I don't blame BC or the Hawks signing him for $51 million (but I still LOL at it), but the Sabres still tried to sell the fanbase on it being no big deal that they lost both of their top tier players and they were still stanley cup worthy.

At that point, my clock for DR started. Fans in Buffalo act as if he is the only GM in the league that is limited by cheap ownership. Over 60% of teams operate under the cap and on a fixed budget. (It actually may be more than that) The teams that spend full throttle (Leafs and Rangers) haven't won jack. The really great franchises know when to get value and when to resign talent.

DR is too in love with "his guys." How long did it take for him to finally stop resigning Connelly? I agree that DR and LR would be signed in a very short period by another team if they were fired but IMO they do not work well as a GM/HC tandem. Something has to be done, to what level is anyones guess at this point.

moltenlava26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:57 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
fair enough...

is there any circumstance in which you would advocate the move in season?
Not sure to be honest. I wouldn't be closed to it, but it would have to be truly justified.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 03:01 PM
indigoo

I realize he is crazy, but it is hilarious to hear him on the radio get so upset. Makes for great radio. Sometimes he has interesting points. Overall = entertainment folks, entertainment. This will be a GREAT READ.

indigoo is offline   Reply With Quote