HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grabner *No longer injured*, DP out indefinitely

Old
12-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Icedemon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
This sucks to say bc its so harsh, but I agree with the fact that I hope he retires. He obviously cares about this organization, so how does he not see this constant carousel of hurt, rehab, play a week, hurt, rush back, on IR, is putting the organization in a bad spot. Time to pack it up Rick...its too bad, bc he HAD talent at one time
Because that giant ego of his won't allow him to see it. I bet the guy thinks he can still be an elite goaltender, even though his body is telling him there is no f***ing way.

Icedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:10 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
im the next tim thomas brah

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 04:58 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
Tampa Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedemon View Post
Because that giant ego of his won't allow him to see it. I bet the guy thinks he can still be an elite goaltender, even though his body is telling him there is no f***ing way.
Absurd posts like this are just getting funny now to read.

You know him personally? He has a huge ego just because he loves hockey and loves playing and tries to come back from injury?

He didn't write up his contract. He didn't want to be injured to stop playing the sport he loves.

You are part of the large majority of Isles fans on this board that just don't get it and never will. You let your undying and blind hate for one player make your illogical and often laughable acusations into facts.

It's getting old.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 05:35 AM
JJmcD
The Power Of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post

You know him personally? He has a huge ego just because he loves hockey and loves playing and tries to come back from injury?

He didn't write up his contract. He didn't want to be injured to stop playing the sport he loves.

You are part of the large majority of Isles fans on this board that just don't get it and never will. You let your undying and blind hate for one player make your illogical and often laughable acusations into facts.

It's getting old.
I don't agree with the fans that want him seriously injured or something bad will happen to him...

But, come on - do you think he can be an elite goaltender?? He can't stay healthy, if you watched the games he played you know he isn't an NHL caliber goalie anymore, and the team plays much better with other goalies in net.

He may love the game, but he is doing more harm then good to the Isles.

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 05:52 AM
BillD

Rick is delusional if he really thinks that he can become an elite NHL goalie, something he never was and was never destined to be, after missing most of the past 4 years.
Because he loves the game and loves the Islanders (who really knows what he thinks of the Islanders?), has an annuity of a contract, it can not escape rational thought that he is not going to succeed.

Farther to small son: "son, what do you want to be when you grow up".
Son to father: "Dad, I want to be Hockey star, win the Vezina, win the Stanley Cup".
Father to son: "Well that is fine son, always keep that dream and work hard".

Chances of this coming true 1-1,000,000.
Chances of Rick becoming an elite NHL goaltender at age 30 1-999,999.

Last edited by BillD: 12-20-2011 at 08:53 AM.
BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 08:55 AM
OpAck

Were we even given a timetable on when he may return? I don't remember hearing, and I find that pretty strange. I mean, it's been over two weeks, and a week ago, he was put on IR with no timetable for return. I would've expected to eventually hear a "He is expected to be out 3-4 weeks" or whatever.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Fantom

Quote:

It's getting old.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
If I was DP I wouldn't retire either..
Plus, you know, it's his job. Management needs to step in here if anything's going to change on that front.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:05 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecoldislanders View Post
He may love the game, but he is doing more harm then good to the Isles.
^^^ WIN.

This is the post I'd throw the "" barrage at. I can understand people getting sick of the guy getting lambasted based on certain insinuations, but I'm a lot more bored with his comebacks.

If he hadn't blatantly hindered the team for as many years people woundn't be throwing him under the bus at every opportunity. Also, we may not have drafted John Tavares, so take it as you will. We have a pipeline now, so unless we want to 'Fail for Nail," he doesn't need to see ONE start on the Island for the rest of the season.

I won't blame it on his ego, but for someone who loves the team so much, he certainly seems more focused on his own comback more than the team's progression. If that weren't the case, he'd already have spent one year trying to be the best goalie he can be in a developmental league where the team doesn't have to use a bunch of fluff language to cover up the fact that despite the many deficiencies the Isles have, solid goaltending was possibly the biggest issue of all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Plus, you know, it's his job. Management needs to step in here if anything's going to change on that front.
Management MUST step in. I'd love for the CBA to help give some incentive in that regard....or insurance....or anything, really. It may be his job, but he stinks at it. I'd have nothing against him if he found a way to stick with the organization.....just not in uniform.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Can we get Grabner out of the title? I keep thinking he got re-injured.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Can we get Grabner out of the title? I keep thinking he got re-injured.
I second that!

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:58 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:

It's getting old.
He has a huge ego because he loves Ricky.

When you put the team's chances in jeopardy by lying to docs who clear you early based on said lies and get hurt worse, if not permanently, you deserve blame/ire.

Quote:
"Ricky's going to need two seats on that plane: one in coach for his body and one in first class for his ego."
—CHICAGO WOLVES GOALIE WENDELL YOUNG
referring to then teammate Rick DiPietro
http://74.6.117.48/search/srpcache?e...eGCNL63LDIWQ--

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:13 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:

It's getting old.
Posts like these are getting old. If we had an owner with any sense of knowledge and/or objectivity, and a GM with the power to make decisions, DP would either be retired or on the bench at the Bridge. It is purely his contract and Wang's stubborness to admit the contract was a mistake that keeps him on the team. If he had a 2 or even a 4 year contract, he'd be long gone.

And again, the DP defenders are confusing hatred of the player with hatred of the person. No one hates DP, we hate the player that comes out on the ice. He is terrible and the whole comeback thing is now a big distraction to the team.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:25 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
He has a huge ego because he loves Ricky.

When you put the team's chances in jeopardy by lying to docs who clear you early based on said lies and get hurt worse, if not permanently, you deserve blame/ire.

http://74.6.117.48/search/srpcache?e...eGCNL63LDIWQ--
Thank you for posting this. I don't have to try so hard to kindly play devil's advocate when there's clear proof his quality and his attitude aren't in the same weight class. The Islanders are simply better off without him, and my already depleted pity doesn't need any more convincing having skimmed that article. Tavares isn't even that much of a diva, and he plays hard enough to own more of it than DP in less than one-third of the tenure.

Old
12-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
I'd love for the CBA to help give some incentive in that regard....or insurance....or anything, really.
There has to be some accountability incurred when you hand out 10+ year contracts or teams would just do it willy nilly. If the Isles had given him a reasonable 4-6 year contract, this wouldn't even be an issue.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 03:33 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
There has to be some accountability incurred when you hand out 10+ year contracts or teams would just do it willy nilly. If the Isles had given him a reasonable 4-6 year contract, this wouldn't even be an issue.
I fully agree - I don't say 'let Wang off of the hook' as much as I'd like insurance to be brought in to the picture for some of it, considering how the sheer volume of injuries precludes any likelihood of a reasonable career to anyone still vaguely tethered to logic. Maybe offer a one-time buyout at 1/4 the yearly salary keeping the original contract duration for one LTIR contract. Anything, really.

I'm just tired of seeing the facts support any means of pushing for such a buyout with the league while some people act like they still want to give him a chance at the NHL level. It's not that I think Montoya's the answer, either. The bar has to be raised all over, and Montoya has a great chance at being capable of doing so once he gets a better defense in front him. DP on the other hand.....if we as fans flip out when he's on the ice, how do his teammates feel? How about the synchronicity between the defense & goaltending that is iffy at best when he's in net which looked reasonably executed most of the time with every other goalie?

No pun intended, but he wouldn't have a leg to stand on with any other team. We NEED a 'out-clause' in the next CBA.

Old
12-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

not that I am desperate to know but what is the time table for #39 to return to us in all his all star glory???

I came on thinking Grabner got injured again or Ricky was coming back

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 07:53 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
You forgot, Wang thinks outside of the box. Screen door on a submarine outside of the box.

"It could work Garf, it could work!"

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote