HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defensive Fill-ins Appreciation Thread

Old
12-20-2011, 08:15 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Defensive Fill-ins Appreciation Thread

We actually got a NHL game out of that trade. We moved that slug for a guy that actually contributes at the AHL level and is an all around stand-up guy for his teammates. A trade that no one ever talks about turned out to be fantastic.

For the record, there is no sarcasm in this post. I really do think that Bickel was an excellent guy to pick up and I'm glad he's part of the organization.

Who ever would have thought that we'd get someone who would ever contribute even a game or two at the NHL level for that garbage?

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 08:20 PM
NYR Viper

Yeah Nigel Williams was, and is a terrible hockey player. Getting someone for him was magic.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 08:21 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Yeah Nigel Williams was, and is a terrible hockey player. Getting someone for him was magic.
Terrible hockey player and an all around *********. Bickel is great for the kids down in Hartford and even if he only plays one game for us -- well, that's more than we'd ever have gotten from the slug.

Old
12-20-2011, 08:26 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Terrible hockey player and an all around *********. Bickel is great for the kids down in Hartford and even if he only plays one game for us -- well, that's more than we'd ever have gotten from the slug.
I 100% agree with ya Jon. It's amazing that he was in the ECHL. I was reading his story and the main reason he was down there was because the Ducks didn't have an AHL affiliate that season. He sounds like a great guy. Hard-working. I have likened him to Jason Strudwick and I think that stands. The guy isn't flashy and probably won't ever be, but I think he could be a solid #7.

Old
12-20-2011, 08:35 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
I 100% agree with ya Jon. It's amazing that he was in the ECHL. I was reading his story and the main reason he was down there was because the Ducks didn't have an AHL affiliate that season. He sounds like a great guy. Hard-working. I have likened him to Jason Strudwick and I think that stands. The guy isn't flashy and probably won't ever be, but I think he could be a solid #7.
Actually, Strudwick is exactly the player I was thinking of, man. Good team guy, gritty, can fill in on the fly, etc. I like Bickel a lot more than I do Woywitka, even. I really think Bickel is the perfect #7 type guy. He's just adequate all around. Even his passing is half decent.

In all reality, any time I get to make a thread ******** on Nigel Williams is a good time for me.

Old
12-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

A little early for this, but he does seem adequate for the role. Then again, we're playing one of the worst teams in the league, so it's not the best measuring stick. Definitely seems better than Toywitka.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 08:39 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Actually, Strudwick is exactly the player I was thinking of, man. Good team guy, gritty, can fill in on the fly, etc. I like Bickel a lot more than I do Woywitka, even. I really think Bickel is the perfect #7 type guy. He's just adequate all around. Even his passing is half decent.

In all reality, any time I get to make a thread ******** on Nigel Williams is a good time for me.
Yeah, talk about a poor attitude for a player. Skill-wise he was decent, but his attitude was TERRIBLE.

I remember the Rangers traded Fahey to the Avs for Williams and then Williams to the Ducks for Bickel.

He just looks solid. And I love the fact that he has the ability to step in and protect his teammates if need be. Loved that he jumped in with Clarkson after he took a run at Hagelin. The Rangers need more players like that.

Woywitka is a decent defenseman, but to me, he lacks any kind of physical presence.

Old
12-20-2011, 08:40 PM
NYR Viper

Also, let me just throw this out there:

Ken Gernander is doing a GREAT job down in Hartford in getting the guys to know the systems and be ready for a call-up. These players jump in with the Rangers and are ready to go.

Old
12-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Vitto79

lol love for Bickel

took a look and yep Nigel Williams never got in a NHL game. he has a minus 16 in 28 games this yr AHL,eeew

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=95385

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 08:45 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
lol love for Bickel

took a look and yep Nigel Williams never got in a NHL game. he has a minus 16 in 28 games this yr AHL,eeew

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=95385
It's not just that. The guy is a lazy, POS. He has a terrible attitude. Jon can correct me if I'm wrong, but that goes all the way back to his draft year doesn't it?

Old
12-20-2011, 09:12 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
It's not just that. The guy is a lazy, POS. He has a terrible attitude. Jon can correct me if I'm wrong, but that goes all the way back to his draft year doesn't it?
Before his draft year. I think I am a bit smug about this one since I was the guy saying that all year and was RAILED for it by the morons who just wanted to overlook it. Him quitting on his team in Wisco was the final straw, if you ask me.

Old
12-20-2011, 09:13 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
A little early for this, but he does seem adequate for the role. Then again, we're playing one of the worst teams in the league, so it's not the best measuring stick. Definitely seems better than Toywitka.
It's not early for this. I would have written something similar even if he never played a game for us and just continued to be a great presence for the kids up in Hartford.

Old
12-20-2011, 09:17 PM
NYR Viper

Bickel with his first point! Assist on Hagelin's SH Goal!

Old
12-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
Stu Bickel worked his way up from playing in the ECHL and AHL He's finally getting to show it in the Big Show for how long who knows Good for him!

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 09:25 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
When we acquired Steve Eminger, I was told by many that he was horrendous and the worst defenseman in the NHL.

When we acquired Jeff Woywitka, I was told that he was horrendous and belonged in the AHL, if that.

When we called up Stu Bickel, I was told that he was an ECHL-caliber defenseman and awful.

Lesson from all this? Posters on HF need to stop with the wild exaggerations about how bad players are. Oh, and people on our board can't judge defensive talent for ****.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 09:27 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Woywitka is horrendous and does belong in the AHL.

Give me Stralman, Bickel, Erixon, etc. over him any day of the week.

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
When we acquired Steve Eminger, I was told by many that he was horrendous and the worst defenseman in the NHL.

When we acquired Jeff Woywitka, I was told that he was horrendous and belonged in the AHL, if that.

When we called up Stu Bickel, I was told that he was an ECHL-caliber defenseman and awful.

Lesson from all this? Posters on HF need to stop with the wild exaggerations about how bad players are. Oh, and people on our board can't judge defensive talent for ****.
Spot on nyr2k2.

He isn't flashy at the AHL level either but his game translates to any level because he can make the same plays no matter what.

Good first game for him tonight.

Old
ThisYearsModel

Bickell fit in and did a real nice job tonight.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny8242 View Post
Stu Bickel worked his way up from playing in the ECHL and AHL He's finally getting to show it in the Big Show for how long who knows Good for him!
His parents must have been so happy. Amazing day for him.

Old
12-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Kershaw

He still sucks, would rather have Eminger, Woywitka instead of him. He'll be nothing more than a #7 guy.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Woywitka is horrendous and does belong in the AHL.

Give me Stralman, Bickel, Erixon, etc. over him any day of the week.
Ehh, I would keep him around for a while. He isn't ideal, but I would rather see him than Brendan Bell......

Old
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Speaking of Eminger, I think THAT'S one of Sather's recent best moves. Guy really gets a bum rap around here when he's usually INCREDIBLY solid.

Bickel played a good game tonight.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
We actually got a NHL game out of that trade. We moved that slug for a guy that actually contributes at the AHL level and is an all around stand-up guy for his teammates. A trade that no one ever talks about turned out to be fantastic.

For the record, there is no sarcasm in this post. I really do think that Bickel was an excellent guy to pick up and I'm glad he's part of the organization.

Who ever would have thought that we'd get someone who would ever contribute even a game or two at the NHL level for that garbage?
I seem to remember you loving the Williams aquisition once we got him... not

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
Quote:

Basically this. Every board. If you've played 1 ECHL game you're crap and a low caliber player . If you got traded etc, that player will be called "Crap, Awful, Garbage" by that players former team.

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:

Or, if you're not a scout, your assessments are invalid.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote