HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

My fellow Blues bretheran...

Old
12-17-2011, 01:09 AM
zachws6

vCash: 1480
My fellow Blues bretheran...

We will not know it until Spring 2012, but we might be witnessing something very special right in front of our eyes....and that my friends, is that the rebuild may finally be paying off. I so badly want to be in the playoff action, and things are looking promising. With our core being so young, and our prospects shredding it out there, it is a great time to be a Blues fan.

....and this year specifically, if Stewart can get his mojo back, this team will be complete from head to toe.

Just had to get some hockey thoughts out of my brain before I hit the bed.

zachws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:51 AM
Jzk

vCash: 4000
This is what I love about Blues fans. They just can't go with the flow and win or lose gracefully. It's just all look at me gloating or the sky is falling gloom and doom excuses.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:16 AM
stlweir

vCash: 500
If the Blues are healthy they have the potential to do some damage in the playoffs. I don't see any gloating, just a good, positive post.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:36 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzk View Post
This is what I love about Blues fans. They just can't go with the flow and win or lose gracefully. It's just all look at me gloating or the sky is falling gloom and doom excuses.
To be fair, this is the majority of all fans of all teams in all sports. I think it's actually increased considerably in the era of parity in the NHL. And the Blues right now are a perfect example. One of just three teams with just one regulation loss in their last ten, and they've won four in a row. However, just a couple games ago, the Blues were a clear seven points ahead of Nashville, who was in 9th. Now, yes, Nashville has played one more game, but they're only three points behind the Blues and they play each other in fourteen hours.

There is no rest. If you go on a losing streak instead of just losing one game here or there, even if it's just two consecutive games without points, you're fighting for a playoff spot instead of for the division lead. The gap between the best few and worst few teams in the league is significant. But everyone else is basically the same. It doesn't take much to inflate or deflate morale.

For some, it's just about morale. For some, it's a hobby. It's not about grace, because part of the fun comes from investigation and debate. But both groups tend to feature celebration when it's going well and criticism when it's not. It's annoying when it's extreme or misguided, but it's not always extreme or misguided (I don't think this thread is either one).
There's another contingent of fans for whom it is basically a dick-measuring contest. Any opportunity to assert superiority is taken.

As for Blues fans in particular, the playoff streak trained two hilariously divergent traits:
1. Impatience, because they never had to wait for the Blues to be good. Poor drafting and massive trading of draft picks and young talent also prevented the fans from understanding the natural time span of player growth.
2. Overvaluing of mediocrity. This is a tricky one, because there are also many fans who think that anybody short of a superstar is a dime a dozen, but those crackerjacks cannot be reasoned with. So, I'd say that most fans, when greeted with a very bad team, just wanted to be back in the playoffs again at any cost, even if it meant not actually contending. The exact same fans who were so good at dreaming up new scapegoats every time they lost in the playoffs. It can't be a problem in the organization or a lack of overall talent, it has to be somebody's fault. The mediocre management and talent was given a pass and scapegoats carried the blame away. Even in their criticism, Blues fans were excusing the bulk of mediocrity.

Those two traits, present in a fanbase that had come to need their playoff fix, are volatile. Look at Colorado's fanbase now. They got spoiled with a Cup team right out of the gate, had a perennial contender and another Cup five years later. And now that they suck, it's insanity. Blues fans are a mess, but we took it like champions compared to Avalanche fans.

More than the bipolar nature of fans, I'm unimpressed by the inferiority complex. A Blackhawks fan brazenly baited people in the Blues' ********* thread on the main board, saying that the Blues' offense and powerplay sucks, so they'll trap their way up the standings, but cannot contend. Blatant trolling, yet, other than the trapping comment, was still more correct than fans who lined up to offer their "But, but, but!" replies were. The Blues have a lot more to prove and it may not be incorrect to call them contenders, but you certainly haven't reached that conclusion rationally.
I'm as amused as the next guy by the snark loaded in Hitchtrap's St. Louis Slumphounds, boring teams to sleep and backing their way up the standings! But it says at least as much about Blues' fans' sensitivity and need for approval as it does the quality of other fans' opinions.

Last edited by Celtic Note: 12-17-2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Language questionable
rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 06:54 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Pie for everyone

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:37 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Well I didn't start following the Blues closely until after the lock-out, so I've never enjoyed a playoff run. I've watched the rebuild closely and am not enjoying my first stretch of true winning hockey. I have high hopes and tend to be optimistic.

I'm not so sure its possible to gloat on our own board. Its just preaching to the choir. I think if you take those posts elsewhere it may look like gloating, but to gloat you need an audience.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 06:25 PM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Well I didn't start following the Blues closely until after the lock-out, so I've never enjoyed a playoff run. I've watched the rebuild closely and am not enjoying my first stretch of true winning hockey. I have high hopes and tend to be optimistic.

I'm not so sure its possible to gloat on our own board. Its just preaching to the choir. I think if you take those posts elsewhere it may look like gloating, but to gloat you need an audience.
Trust me even people who followed the Blues pre lock out did not enjoy our playoff runs. Once the regular season was over there was nothing to be joyful about for us Blues fans lol

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Clay Squares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzk View Post
I don't see anything wrong with being happy that your team is playing well and posting about it on their boards. Thats not gloating thats being a fan.

Clay Squares is offline   Reply With Quote