HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Erik Karlsson's Next Contract

Old
12-21-2011, 12:44 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Whatever he wants it to be. He's going to be one of the very best, if not the best, offensive defenseman in this league for many, many years. They should hold on to him for dear life. He should ask for $5.5-6 million for 5-6 years, but 4.5 would be the nice thing to do if he wants to think about what's best for the franchise. He's a guy actually worth signing to a huge, lengthy contract.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:45 AM
PCooper

Don't care, give him what he wants.

edit: Sting knows what he's talkin' about.

PCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:39 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

5.5mil is a discount if it's in the 6 year range.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:59 AM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

Anywhere between $5.5 and $6.5 million per season depending on term.

Karlsson is about the only guy on the Sens I would be willing to give a lifetime contract to at this point, so hopefully we get some serious term on his deal.

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:07 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Unfortunately Doughty getting overpaid has just ramped up his contract #'s.

I say he makes over $6 million, easy.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:28 AM
Sharksfan83

vCash: 50
4.5 m for 2 years. Stay at the same level in 2 years, and we'll give you what you deserve then on a long term contract.

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:47 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

If I owned an NHL team I would give him an offer sheet at around 7.2 million a year for 10 years.

He is one of my favourite players to watch, amazing talent.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:59 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan83 View Post
4.5 m for 2 years. Stay at the same level in 2 years, and we'll give you what you deserve then on a long term contract.
If he is only being offered $4.5 I can guarantee he will not sign that deal. There will easily be other teams willing to offer sheet him for more than. Yes Ottawa can just match the sheet, but they won't get him for $4.5

I could easily imagine Detroit offering up $6.26 on a long term deal to have EK replace Lidstrom and just giving their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to Ottawa.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Whatever he wants it to be. He's going to be one of the very best, if not the best, offensive defenseman in this league for many, many years. They should hold on to him for dear life. He should ask for $5.5-6 million for 5-6 years, but 4.5 would be the nice thing to do if he wants to think about what's best for the franchise. He's a guy actually worth signing to a huge, lengthy contract.
I agree 100% and even if he wants 7mil a year you have to. Aim for. 5 settle for 7 if DD is worth a 9 year 7 this kid is.... Karlsson is my favorite non hawk rookie since Ovechkin.

Sasso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Sasso09

*the year he was a rookie of course.

Sasso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Karlsson will sign a 5 year, 28 million deal. Cap hit will be $5.6 mil per.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:39 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
I could easily imagine Detroit offering up $6.26 on a long term deal to have EK replace Lidstrom and just giving their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to Ottawa.
That's still easily cheap enough for the Sens to match and they absolutely would.

I think a successful offer sheet would have to be in the 4 1sts range, and even then...

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Dick Whitman

36 million over 6 years, i think is fair. I'd prefer something like 15 million over 3 and then give him the 7x7-7.5m year deal, but that's just me.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:03 PM
officialmark7*

I have a feeling hes going to sign for cheap. Around the 5.5 million mark no way he goes past 6 unless he signs a crazy long contract.

officialmark7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:11 PM
DirtySweetness

I think Murray should make an incentive based contract. This is a young kid and throwing 6+ million might be detrimental to his success. We all remember Reddin?

DirtySweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:29 PM
OlliMackBjugStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySweetness View Post
I think Murray should make an incentive based contract. This is a young kid and throwing 6+ million might be detrimental to his success. We all remember Reddin?
unless the new CBA changes the current rules, there are no incentives available after the ELC (except for certain veterns who were injured).

I wouldnt offer more then 2.5 - 3m on a short term as I would want the player to prove themselves over a longer period before giving them superstar money.

I wouldnt rank EK in the top 20 of dmen to carry a team to the SCF and therefore would consider a GM insane to pay him the type of money mentioned in this thread.

He is not a 70 point player as some have suggested and has never had more than 45 in a season. Sure he might this season, but the NHL is full of guys who have started out like this and burned out.

OlliMackBjugStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by They call me Tytan View Post
unless the new CBA changes the current rules, there are no incentives available after the ELC (except for certain veterns who were injured).

I wouldnt offer more then 2.5 - 3m on a short term as I would want the player to prove themselves over a longer period before giving them superstar money.

I wouldnt rank EK in the top 20 of dmen to carry a team to the SCF and therefore would consider a GM insane to pay him the type of money mentioned in this thread.

He is not a 70 point player as some have suggested and has never had more than 45 in a season. Sure he might this season, but the NHL is full of guys who have started out like this and burned out.
Name me three who have, all while playing at 175, and showing the progression he has in the last three years, all while still developing physically.

He has skills you can't teach, that maybe 5 other defensemen in the league posess.

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:04 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Generally speaking I don't like the 8+ year contracts, but for Karlsson I'd do it if it meant a more reasonable cap hit. I think negotiations start at $5M per, and probably settle closer to $6M. Hopefully an extension gets done before he becomes an RFA. No need opening up the possibility of an offer sheet.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:05 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:

Maybe that's what you'd like, but that's not the way it works anymore.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:14 PM
OlliMackBjugStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Bahn Ahden View Post
Maybe that's what you'd like, but that's not the way it works anymore.
then I would trade him and let another team take that risk.

i have yet to see a single team, other than PIT with 2 generational talents, benefit by giving out the huge term and $ to a promising ELC level guy.

OlliMackBjugStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:

i have yet to see a single team, other than PIT with 2 generational talents, benefit by giving out the huge term and $ to a promising ELC level guy.
There is a difference between handing out 10 year contracts, or 8.5 million dollar deals, and the one we expect Karlsson to get.

6 x 6 or 6 x 5.5 would be around what I would expect, no 15 year deal or 8 million dollar contract. There are many of those deals in the NHL that are working.

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:51 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

My guess: $5.25 cap hit over 5 years.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:55 PM
joe89

Wouldn't surprise if he comes cheaper than most think.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Asquaredx2

Quote:

A) He had a 40 point pace in his rookie season at 19 if you include playoffs.

B) 45 points in 75 games is excellent production for a defenceman

C) Those 45 points came on a team that scored only 190 goals and put EK 11 points up on the third highest scorer on the team.

D) This year you're seeing the results with a team that has a functioning offensive system

E) He has a lot of room for improvement which is amazing given how good he is already

Quote:

So your plan for building a team is to trade players on ELCs who become elite talents away? What's the return going to be? Worse, older players, or young players on ELCs who you hope turn out to be good, but not as good because then you'd be facing the same situation? That sounds like a great way to build a team and to maintain team morale and identity, and to give young players incentive to develop. Should Chicago have dealt away Toews and Kane?

Murray has to do everything in his power to keep the cost down and perhaps persuade EK to take a hometown discount, but trading him would be insane. The only deal he could make would be a deal he'd have to take even if EK wasn't up for a new contract. Like EK for Giroux if he completely recovers from his concussion.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Scary thing is even if we do sign him to a long term of say 7 years it'll be expiring when he's only 28 . Just as he is entering his prime.. not to mention he'd have been norris candidate ( or won some) during the term of that 7 year contract before he even was playing at his best..

Just think how much karlsson has learnt these last 3 years.. and how much he's gonna learn in the next 7 .. scary.. I want him signed for 10 plus years

I'd like 13 year 6.5 m per.. with first two years loaded at 1o m per

Security Guard Chang* is offline   Reply With Quote