HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Texas win the right to Yu Darvish... Meanwhile, Jays fans are jumping off the cliff

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-21-2011, 05:01 AM
  #51
StuckOutHere
Registered User
 
StuckOutHere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,920
vCash: 500
Lets just sign Roy Oswalt. It would be nice to get a good veteran pitcher in the rotation. Plus he requires no picks to sign.

StuckOutHere is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 05:08 AM
  #52
VanJaysFan*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
I'd say he's in a Tier three among NL starting pitching, perhaps Tier two:

Tier 1:
Tim Lincecum
Cliff Lee
Clayton Kershaw
Cole Hamels
Roy Halladay

Tier 2:
Josh Johnson
Matt Cain
Zack Grienke
Chris Carpenter
Adam Wainwright

Tier 3:
Mat Latos
Matt Garza
?

Brewers have absolutely no need to trade him, and with Grienke being a free-agent after this year (I think Marcum too?), keeping him is a must to ensure they still have some quality pitching.
Yourself and I fundamentally disagree on a so much that it almost makes it a moot point but that is a really solid list aside from Greinke in tier 2.

Greinke is a premier pitcher in any league/division 8 days a week.

Keep posting

(and yes, both he and Marcum are up for FA this upcoming offseason)

VanJaysFan* is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 05:09 AM
  #53
VanJaysFan*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
Lets just sign Roy Oswalt. It would be nice to get a good veteran pitcher in the rotation. Plus he requires no picks to sign.
AFAIK Roy Oswalt doesnt post here.

WILL NOT SIGN IN CANADA.

VanJaysFan* is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 06:07 AM
  #54
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
jcollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Exactly, fans are just ahead of themselves. Many of us thought by 2012 we'd be close. Which we are IMO. By 2013 we'll know how our team has come together and should be ready to add. We are a year or two away from adding those pieces imo
This.

For two years now since AA took over, 2013 has been the year. Nothing has changed.

jcollins is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 06:08 AM
  #55
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
jcollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Haven't gone through the locked thread but 1 of the guys on baseball boards said that Oswalt is willing to do a 1 year deal. Perfect fit for you guys.

Romero
Oswalt
Morrow
Cecil
Alvarez

Keep Drabek in AAA. If he lights it up you have an option of trading Oswalt for a prospect to a team looking to bolster its rotation for playoffs. and bring up Drabek. If you are out of contention you can swing him for a prospect. Hutchison will be pushing for a call up mid year too IMO.
It'll be interesting to see if he's the next one. The way he pitched last year he should be. But there's also guys in AA like Jenkins and McGuire to contend with.

jcollins is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 06:20 AM
  #56
VanJaysFan*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Tyler Beede is a perfect example, he wanted tons of money, to AA he wasn't worth that, he chose to move on.
No... just.. no.

3 1000+ post threads in the last week and we've finally found the weakest link.

If AA had a crystal ball a few months ago forseeing the changes to the upcoming CBA he would have handed Beede a blank cheque. Not even in a month of Sundays will you come up with a scenario where it benefits the Jays to walk away from their top draft pick over 'money issues' (out of Beede's own mouth, not a game of Chinese whisper)

VanJaysFan* is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 06:21 AM
  #57
VanJaysFan*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
This.

For two years now since AA took over, 2013 has been the year. Nothing has changed.
Solid guess. Guess we can't fault you on that?

VanJaysFan* is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 06:21 AM
  #58
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
jcollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Seriously though, we'll be just fine. 500 finish or not, last season was a blast to watch most of the time.
The .500 finish is part of the reason why, a lot of people expected the team to be terrible, and when they weren't, the assumption is that it's time to add one big piece. We've been that .500 team trying to spend on one piece before though (see Burnett, AJ)

jcollins is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 06:25 AM
  #59
VanJaysFan*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
It'll be interesting to see if he's the next one. The way he pitched last year he should be. But there's also guys in AA like Jenkins and McGuire to contend with.
15 innings in AA?

Already half-started getting his name tattooed across my back, get in line.

(shoot me)

VanJaysFan* is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 06:26 AM
  #60
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
jcollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanJaysFan View Post
No... just.. no.

3 1000+ post threads in the last week and we've finally found the weakest link.

If AA had a crystal ball a few months ago forseeing the changes to the upcoming CBA he would have handed Beede a blank cheque. Not even in a month of Sundays will you come up with a scenario where it benefits the Jays to walk away from their top draft pick over 'money issues' (out of Beede's own mouth, not a game of Chinese whisper)
He wouldn't hand him a blank cheque because as he's stated many times, it screws you in negotiations down the road, which is bang on. It then means that every first rounder will want massive money.

jcollins is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 06:27 AM
  #61
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
jcollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanJaysFan View Post
Solid guess. Guess we can't fault you on that?
Please elaborate? Since AA took over, based on our prospect pool, it was unreasonable to expect we TRUELY compete before 2013 when they start peaking.

jcollins is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 06:28 AM
  #62
VanJaysFan*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
The .500 finish is part of the reason why, a lot of people expected the team to be terrible, and when they weren't, the assumption is that it's time to add one big piece. We've been that .500 team trying to spend on one piece before though (see Burnett, AJ)
16 games out of the division title, 10 games shy of the wildcard... 4th place in a 5 team division...

Shucks, we almost had it!

VanJaysFan* is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 06:29 AM
  #63
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
jcollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanJaysFan View Post
15 innings in AA?

Already half-started getting his name tattooed across my back, get in line.

(shoot me)
If he pitches the way he did last year in the first half of this year, you've got to think he's at the top of the list for a promotion. (That is based solely on what HE does, if others (ie Drabeck, McGuire) are outpitching him, they likely get the nod)

jcollins is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 06:30 AM
  #64
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
jcollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanJaysFan View Post
16 games out of the division title, 10 games shy of the wildcard... 4th place in a 5 team division...

Shucks, we almost had it!
Going into the season people were talking about a 100 loss season!!! We were better than expected. Where did I say we were great?

jcollins is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 06:30 AM
  #65
VanJaysFan*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
He wouldn't hand him a blank cheque because as he's stated many times, it screws you in negotiations down the road, which is bang on. It then means that every first rounder will want massive money.
Negotiations down the road with a pick who (aside from semantics) has a hard slot?

Bra-f'in-vo.

VanJaysFan* is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 06:33 AM
  #66
VanJaysFan*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Please elaborate? Since AA took over, based on our prospect pool, it was unreasonable to expect we TRUELY compete before 2013 when they start peaking.
Who is 'they'?

If Joey Bats posts peak career numbers in 2013 you can have all 6 of my HFboards accounts. (1 is global admin)

If Romero or Escobar posts career highs in 2013 you can have my 'VanJaysFan' account.

The only thing I ask in return is a tablespoon of humility if you dont pull the big win out.l

VanJaysFan* is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 06:34 AM
  #67
VanJaysFan*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Going into the season people were talking about a 100 loss season!!! We were better than expected. Where did I say we were great?
Link?

VanJaysFan* is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 06:42 AM
  #68
shully
Night's Watch
 
shully's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanJaysFan View Post
Link?
Las Vegas had Toronto's over/under at 75 wins. On another note, you're honestly the most negative poster I've seen in a while. Never seen you say something positive, even while the team is trending upwards.

shully is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 06:44 AM
  #69
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 30,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanJaysFan View Post
16 games out of the division title, 10 games shy of the wildcard... 4th place in a 5 team division...

Shucks, we almost had it!

In a toughest division in baseball. Jays win 90 games in AL Central IMO, good enough to win the division.

darko is online now  
Old
12-21-2011, 06:48 AM
  #70
VanJaysFan*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shully View Post
Las Vegas had Toronto's over/under at 75 wins. On another note, you're honestly the most negative poster I've seen in a while. Never seen you say something positive, even while the team is trending upwards.
Sorry for the confusion lolz!

Was asking for a link where 'people' were talking about a 100+ loss season.

Not Vegas guessing we'd end up at around 87 losses.

my mistake.

VanJaysFan* is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 06:58 AM
  #71
VanJaysFan*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
In a toughest division in baseball. Jays win 90 games in AL Central IMO, good enough to win the division.
We finished in 4th place. It's pretty binary at this point, being months after the season's end.

We ironically over-achieved to finish up in 4th.. that doesn't give ANYbody here carte-blanche to start re-writing history.

VanJaysFan* is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 07:28 AM
  #72
showtime8
Registered User
 
showtime8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,486
vCash: 500
To get away from the AL East and how the Jays didn't make the playoffs....

Lets talk about potential trades that AA can make. There are a lot of names out there right now that could fill spots for a couple years, but with AA's track record he tends to fill holes in the bullpen or bench spots with free agents. So in all likelihood, the trade route is the way he's going to go.

Avoiding the Gio Gonzalez talk and Matt Garza talk, who else could the Jays target with trade? To my knowledge, both the Escobar and Rasmus trades kinda came out of nowhere, or atleast they had little rumours about them coming to Toronto.

So who could the Jays traget? Is Chad Billingsly or Bronson Arroyo a pipedream? Any ideas?

showtime8 is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 07:42 AM
  #73
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 30,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
To get away from the AL East and how the Jays didn't make the playoffs....

Lets talk about potential trades that AA can make. There are a lot of names out there right now that could fill spots for a couple years, but with AA's track record he tends to fill holes in the bullpen or bench spots with free agents. So in all likelihood, the trade route is the way he's going to go.

Avoiding the Gio Gonzalez talk and Matt Garza talk, who else could the Jays target with trade? To my knowledge, both the Escobar and Rasmus trades kinda came out of nowhere, or atleast they had little rumours about them coming to Toronto.

So who could the Jays traget? Is Chad Billingsly or Bronson Arroyo a pipedream? Any ideas?

Better hope so. Walks alot, doesnt strike out many and prone to long ball. 46 HRs given up last year. Imagine what Teixeira, Granderson, A-Gonz and the rest of AL east would do to him. You dont want to see him on Jays.

darko is online now  
Old
12-21-2011, 07:52 AM
  #74
Woodman19
#TeamBernier
 
Woodman19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
To get away from the AL East and how the Jays didn't make the playoffs....

Lets talk about potential trades that AA can make. There are a lot of names out there right now that could fill spots for a couple years, but with AA's track record he tends to fill holes in the bullpen or bench spots with free agents. So in all likelihood, the trade route is the way he's going to go.

Avoiding the Gio Gonzalez talk and Matt Garza talk, who else could the Jays target with trade? To my knowledge, both the Escobar and Rasmus trades kinda came out of nowhere, or atleast they had little rumours about them coming to Toronto.

So who could the Jays traget? Is Chad Billingsly or Bronson Arroyo a pipedream? Any ideas?
David Wright, Gavin Floyd, Wade Davis, Jon Niese just to name a few.

Woodman19 is online now  
Old
12-21-2011, 08:41 AM
  #75
The Man in White
Registered User
 
The Man in White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,031
vCash: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by BylerTozak View Post
Bit of a stretch. I think he is a great gm, but come on.
Why is it a stretch?

The Man in White is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.