HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Predators at Capitals 12/20 - Many Questions, Few Answers

Old
12-20-2011, 10:16 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Smith looked soft tonight.
The team looked bad overall tonight. Too many shot chances passed up ... too little fire for the first 20 minutes ... not enough as it finally built during the game.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 10:41 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

No major damage done tonight. The Pens beat the Hawks, Calgary beats Minnesota .. the only bad news is that Phoenix beat Florida.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:52 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Smith looked soft tonight.
Got benched in the end after that penalty...

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:08 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I think we've all overlooked who deserves the blame for tonight: Viqsi. Clearly she did not want to extend the streak and have to make a GDT for the Preds against the BJ's. She's a wise one.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:16 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I thought Blum had a rough one, not surprised. Overplayed the first goal, and then he had a horrendous turnover in our dzone. Literally turned around and passed it straight to a Cap and was under no pressure when he did this. Trotz will burn him for that.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I think we've all overlooked who deserves the blame for tonight: Viqsi. Clearly she did not want to extend the streak and have to make a GDT for the Preds against the BJ's. She's a wise one.
I'd confess, except I already had plans for that particular one. Which of course jinxed this game, so I suppose that does make me responsible.

I'd figured that not prepping GDTs in advance would help me avoid the jinx, but, alas, thinking too much about them is just as verboten.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:44 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
hey now I had promised her that if she kept us winning the whole time we'd be willing to take an OTL against the jackets... now she's done it, Bwahahahahhaha

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 07:40 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
I thought Blum had a rough one, not surprised. Overplayed the first goal, and then he had a horrendous turnover in our dzone. Literally turned around and passed it straight to a Cap and was under no pressure when he did this. Trotz will burn him for that.
Cooper posted some post game Trotz quotes about Blum and he was ripping him. If he wasn't already, he's definitely on a short leash now.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 07:45 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Cooper posted some post game Trotz quotes about Blum and he was ripping him. If he wasn't already, he's definitely on a short leash now.
you have to assume if Klein hadnt been sick 7 would have been a scratch.

Im thinking Poile makes a trade soon and sends Blum back to Milwaukee again

Old
12-21-2011, 08:16 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
you have to assume if Klein hadnt been sick 7 would have been a scratch.

Im thinking Poile makes a trade soon and sends Blum back to Milwaukee again
Blum hasn't played for more than a year and Klein has played for almost 3 years and Trotz never calls out Klein for his horrendous plays

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:26 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Blum hasn't played for more than a year and Klein has played for almost 3 years and Trotz never calls out Klein for his horrendous plays
but he did make Klein a healthy scratch for basically an entire season...

Old
12-21-2011, 08:34 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Klein was almost top pairing good during the five game winning streak, but sure, keep the blinders on.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:38 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
but he did make Klein a healthy scratch for basically an entire season...
not only that, he made him play forward and play on the doghouse line in practice. and then scratched him.

it takes a certain level of maturity to play this system night in and night out. you have to by in that you are not playing for yourself. blum isn't the only one who needs to mature still.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:09 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Looking bad against Ovie is understandable .... the turnovers weren't. I wish I could say it was only Blum, but, we had a collective failure in our end when it came to clearing the puck.

A typical dad's trip game.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:02 AM
WartracePred

I'm willing to cut Blum some slack. I think he played 4 games in 5 days. Probably didn't think he would play in DC. Maybe he wasn't mentally prepared. It was Ovie. Lots of reasons for his poor performance.

Trotz did rip him. But Trotz rips all these young guys when they don't perform well. Think about his comments and decisions about Willy last year. Blum will be fine with more experience. He is still a rookie guys. It's tough to keep that in mind considering his solid play down the stretch last season. But he has yet to play a full NHL season. I think he has at least as much potential as Hamhuis, if not more. Be patient.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:30 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

For whoever asked about the shouting during the national anthem, yes. It's "red" because of rock the red or something and "O" for the Orioles

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:41 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
I'm willing to cut Blum some slack. I think he played 4 games in 5 days. Probably didn't think he would play in DC. Maybe he wasn't mentally prepared. It was Ovie. Lots of reasons for his poor performance.

I agree with the second paragraph although I deleted it. This is wrong though. They flew to DC Monday and Klein did not make the trip. He knew he was playing. I know that Blum didn't make the proper play. He tried to make a play, and the other guy on the other side of the puck made a pretty good play. Lets not forget Ovechkin is a pretty damn good hockey player paid to make plays. This mistake didn't cost us the game. It contributed, yeah, but so did the weak wrap around goal (I beleive all wrap around goals are weak. no goalie should give those up), so did the semin shot which was a good shot, but maybe weber shouldn't have gotten dangled or lindback take a better angle.

Old
12-21-2011, 02:28 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I agree with the second paragraph although I deleted it. This is wrong though. They flew to DC Monday and Klein did not make the trip. He knew he was playing.
Fair enough. He should have been ready to go mentally.

Not growing up watching hockey, I always have a hard time with Dmen back peddling when the puck is halfway between themselves and an opponent. My first instinct is to take two steps forward and control the puck.

When Ovie scored, I assume this is the mistake Blum made. I heard Trotz say he should've stayed between Ovechkin and the net. It's a bad mistake when any opponent is bearing down on you. With Ovechkin, well, as Trotz says, "That can't happen!"

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:41 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Fair enough. He should have been ready to go mentally.

Not growing up watching hockey, I always have a hard time with Dmen back peddling when the puck is halfway between themselves and an opponent. My first instinct is to take two steps forward and control the puck.

When Ovie scored, I assume this is the mistake Blum made. I heard Trotz say he should've stayed between Ovechkin and the net. It's a bad mistake when any opponent is bearing down on you. With Ovechkin, well, as Trotz says, "That can't happen!"
you are exactly right. Blum thought he could make a play just using his stick. problem was, I think ovechin was faster than he thought and panicked and lost focus of the puck. by the time it was over, ovie was gone. If you watched weber the few time he was 1 v1, or even against datsyuk last week, he did what he is supposed to do. keep a good gap and keep the guy outside. the goalie is supposed to stp thise from out there.

Old
12-21-2011, 09:59 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
you are exactly right. Blum thought he could make a play just using his stick. problem was, I think ovechin was faster than he thought and panicked and lost focus of the puck. by the time it was over, ovie was gone. If you watched weber the few time he was 1 v1, or even against datsyuk last week, he did what he is supposed to do. keep a good gap and keep the guy outside. the goalie is supposed to stp thise from out there.
From where I was at center ice, it looked like Blum saw the pass along the boards and reached for it to block it. The puck appeared to go over his stick and then there was no chance for Blum to catch Ovie. If Blum had blocked the puck, play never would have happened. On the other hand, I think clearly Weber or Suter would not have attempted to block the pass with Ovie there.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:41 PM
wadesworld

Quote:
Dmen are generally pretty slow, and most forwards are incredibly fast, especially when they want to be.

A Dman cannot go for the puck unless he's 125% sure he can get there. Backpedaling is almost always the smarter play. Additionally, with the acceleration of a forward, a Dman generally has to get going backwards first, so he can try to match speed with the forward. If he waits too long to start backing up, the forward will blow right by him - which is what happened when Blum tried to block the puck.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:09 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
Dmen are generally pretty slow, and most forwards are incredibly fast, especially when they want to be.

A Dman cannot go for the puck unless he's 125% sure he can get there. Backpedaling is almost always the smarter play. Additionally, with the acceleration of a forward, a Dman generally has to get going backwards first, so he can try to match speed with the forward. If he waits too long to start backing up, the forward will blow right by him - which is what happened when Blum tried to block the puck.
it's called gap control, and isn't the easiest skill to master

Old
12-22-2011, 10:52 AM
smashville

Is it just me or has the team played like crap every time lindback has been in net?

smashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:05 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashville View Post
Is it just me or has the team played like crap every time lindback has been in net?
well, it certainly looks worse when 4 goals go in.

if everything else had been the same but Rinne had played, stopped the first two Caps goals, and we had gone into the third tied 0-0 and won or got a point, would it still have seemed like we played just as bad??

I think truthfully we arent playing very good for either goalie, its just that Rinne's awesomeness allows us to fake it til we make it a lot more than Lindback can