HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Predators at Capitals 12/20 - Many Questions, Few Answers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-20-2011, 10:16 PM
  #176
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Smith looked soft tonight.
The team looked bad overall tonight. Too many shot chances passed up ... too little fire for the first 20 minutes ... not enough as it finally built during the game.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 10:41 PM
  #177
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
No major damage done tonight. The Pens beat the Hawks, Calgary beats Minnesota .. the only bad news is that Phoenix beat Florida.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 10:52 PM
  #178
tserberis*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Smith looked soft tonight.
Got benched in the end after that penalty...

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:08 PM
  #179
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,486
vCash: 500
I think we've all overlooked who deserves the blame for tonight: Viqsi. Clearly she did not want to extend the streak and have to make a GDT for the Preds against the BJ's. She's a wise one.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:16 PM
  #180
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,486
vCash: 500
I thought Blum had a rough one, not surprised. Overplayed the first goal, and then he had a horrendous turnover in our dzone. Literally turned around and passed it straight to a Cap and was under no pressure when he did this. Trotz will burn him for that.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:44 PM
  #181
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I think we've all overlooked who deserves the blame for tonight: Viqsi. Clearly she did not want to extend the streak and have to make a GDT for the Preds against the BJ's. She's a wise one.
I'd confess, except I already had plans for that particular one. Which of course jinxed this game, so I suppose that does make me responsible.

I'd figured that not prepping GDTs in advance would help me avoid the jinx, but, alas, thinking too much about them is just as verboten.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:44 PM
  #182
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,318
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I think we've all overlooked who deserves the blame for tonight: Viqsi. Clearly she did not want to extend the streak and have to make a GDT for the Preds against the BJ's. She's a wise one.
hey now I had promised her that if she kept us winning the whole time we'd be willing to take an OTL against the jackets... now she's done it, Bwahahahahhaha

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 07:40 AM
  #183
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 11,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I thought Blum had a rough one, not surprised. Overplayed the first goal, and then he had a horrendous turnover in our dzone. Literally turned around and passed it straight to a Cap and was under no pressure when he did this. Trotz will burn him for that.
Cooper posted some post game Trotz quotes about Blum and he was ripping him. If he wasn't already, he's definitely on a short leash now.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 07:45 AM
  #184
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,318
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Cooper posted some post game Trotz quotes about Blum and he was ripping him. If he wasn't already, he's definitely on a short leash now.
you have to assume if Klein hadnt been sick 7 would have been a scratch.

Im thinking Poile makes a trade soon and sends Blum back to Milwaukee again

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:16 AM
  #185
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
you have to assume if Klein hadnt been sick 7 would have been a scratch.

Im thinking Poile makes a trade soon and sends Blum back to Milwaukee again
Blum hasn't played for more than a year and Klein has played for almost 3 years and Trotz never calls out Klein for his horrendous plays

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:26 AM
  #186
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,318
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Blum hasn't played for more than a year and Klein has played for almost 3 years and Trotz never calls out Klein for his horrendous plays
but he did make Klein a healthy scratch for basically an entire season...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:34 AM
  #187
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Blum hasn't played for more than a year and Klein has played for almost 3 years and Trotz never calls out Klein for his horrendous plays
Klein was almost top pairing good during the five game winning streak, but sure, keep the blinders on.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:38 AM
  #188
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
but he did make Klein a healthy scratch for basically an entire season...
not only that, he made him play forward and play on the doghouse line in practice. and then scratched him.

it takes a certain level of maturity to play this system night in and night out. you have to by in that you are not playing for yourself. blum isn't the only one who needs to mature still.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:09 AM
  #189
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Looking bad against Ovie is understandable .... the turnovers weren't. I wish I could say it was only Blum, but, we had a collective failure in our end when it came to clearing the puck.

A typical dad's trip game.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:02 AM
  #190
WartracePred
Registered User
 
WartracePred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,040
vCash: 500
I'm willing to cut Blum some slack. I think he played 4 games in 5 days. Probably didn't think he would play in DC. Maybe he wasn't mentally prepared. It was Ovie. Lots of reasons for his poor performance.

Trotz did rip him. But Trotz rips all these young guys when they don't perform well. Think about his comments and decisions about Willy last year. Blum will be fine with more experience. He is still a rookie guys. It's tough to keep that in mind considering his solid play down the stretch last season. But he has yet to play a full NHL season. I think he has at least as much potential as Hamhuis, if not more. Be patient.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:30 AM
  #191
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Caps/Avs/Bills fan
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,057
vCash: 50
For whoever asked about the shouting during the national anthem, yes. It's "red" because of rock the red or something and "O" for the Orioles

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:41 PM
  #192
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
I'm willing to cut Blum some slack. I think he played 4 games in 5 days. Probably didn't think he would play in DC. Maybe he wasn't mentally prepared. It was Ovie. Lots of reasons for his poor performance.

.
I agree with the second paragraph although I deleted it. This is wrong though. They flew to DC Monday and Klein did not make the trip. He knew he was playing. I know that Blum didn't make the proper play. He tried to make a play, and the other guy on the other side of the puck made a pretty good play. Lets not forget Ovechkin is a pretty damn good hockey player paid to make plays. This mistake didn't cost us the game. It contributed, yeah, but so did the weak wrap around goal (I beleive all wrap around goals are weak. no goalie should give those up), so did the semin shot which was a good shot, but maybe weber shouldn't have gotten dangled or lindback take a better angle.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:28 PM
  #193
WartracePred
Registered User
 
WartracePred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I agree with the second paragraph although I deleted it. This is wrong though. They flew to DC Monday and Klein did not make the trip. He knew he was playing.
Fair enough. He should have been ready to go mentally.

Not growing up watching hockey, I always have a hard time with Dmen back peddling when the puck is halfway between themselves and an opponent. My first instinct is to take two steps forward and control the puck.

When Ovie scored, I assume this is the mistake Blum made. I heard Trotz say he should've stayed between Ovechkin and the net. It's a bad mistake when any opponent is bearing down on you. With Ovechkin, well, as Trotz says, "That can't happen!"

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:41 PM
  #194
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Fair enough. He should have been ready to go mentally.

Not growing up watching hockey, I always have a hard time with Dmen back peddling when the puck is halfway between themselves and an opponent. My first instinct is to take two steps forward and control the puck.

When Ovie scored, I assume this is the mistake Blum made. I heard Trotz say he should've stayed between Ovechkin and the net. It's a bad mistake when any opponent is bearing down on you. With Ovechkin, well, as Trotz says, "That can't happen!"
you are exactly right. Blum thought he could make a play just using his stick. problem was, I think ovechin was faster than he thought and panicked and lost focus of the puck. by the time it was over, ovie was gone. If you watched weber the few time he was 1 v1, or even against datsyuk last week, he did what he is supposed to do. keep a good gap and keep the guy outside. the goalie is supposed to stp thise from out there.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:59 PM
  #195
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
you are exactly right. Blum thought he could make a play just using his stick. problem was, I think ovechin was faster than he thought and panicked and lost focus of the puck. by the time it was over, ovie was gone. If you watched weber the few time he was 1 v1, or even against datsyuk last week, he did what he is supposed to do. keep a good gap and keep the guy outside. the goalie is supposed to stp thise from out there.
From where I was at center ice, it looked like Blum saw the pass along the boards and reached for it to block it. The puck appeared to go over his stick and then there was no chance for Blum to catch Ovie. If Blum had blocked the puck, play never would have happened. On the other hand, I think clearly Weber or Suter would not have attempted to block the pass with Ovie there.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:41 PM
  #196
wadesworld
Registered User
 
wadesworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Not growing up watching hockey, I always have a hard time with Dmen back peddling when the puck is halfway between themselves and an opponent. My first instinct is to take two steps forward and control the puck.
Dmen are generally pretty slow, and most forwards are incredibly fast, especially when they want to be.

A Dman cannot go for the puck unless he's 125% sure he can get there. Backpedaling is almost always the smarter play. Additionally, with the acceleration of a forward, a Dman generally has to get going backwards first, so he can try to match speed with the forward. If he waits too long to start backing up, the forward will blow right by him - which is what happened when Blum tried to block the puck.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:09 AM
  #197
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
Dmen are generally pretty slow, and most forwards are incredibly fast, especially when they want to be.

A Dman cannot go for the puck unless he's 125% sure he can get there. Backpedaling is almost always the smarter play. Additionally, with the acceleration of a forward, a Dman generally has to get going backwards first, so he can try to match speed with the forward. If he waits too long to start backing up, the forward will blow right by him - which is what happened when Blum tried to block the puck.
it's called gap control, and isn't the easiest skill to master

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:52 AM
  #198
smashville
Registered User
 
smashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Is it just me or has the team played like crap every time lindback has been in net?

smashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:05 AM
  #199
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,318
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashville View Post
Is it just me or has the team played like crap every time lindback has been in net?
well, it certainly looks worse when 4 goals go in.

if everything else had been the same but Rinne had played, stopped the first two Caps goals, and we had gone into the third tied 0-0 and won or got a point, would it still have seemed like we played just as bad??

I think truthfully we arent playing very good for either goalie, its just that Rinne's awesomeness allows us to fake it til we make it a lot more than Lindback can

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.