HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL Games on HBO

Old
12-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Darlotto99

vCash: 500
NHL Games on HBO

with the success of 24/7 anyone else think eventually NHL will sign a TV contract with HBO to air actual games. since NBC starts after Thanksgiving maybe HBO games could air leading up to the Winter Classic with NBC taking over after the Winter Classic.
Maybe NHL Saturday night games on HBO?

Darlotto99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:53 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlotto99 View Post
with the success of 24/7 anyone else think eventually NHL will sign a TV contract with HBO to air actual games. since NBC starts after Thanksgiving maybe HBO games could air leading up to the Winter Classic with NBC taking over after the Winter Classic.
Maybe NHL Saturday night games on HBO?
Not a chance, it's a premium subscription service. Not enough households for exclusive rights.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

So they'd expect us to buy BOTH HBO AND Center Ice???

No, I'm not doing that.

Concordski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

that would be... odd.

maybe a regular series like Hard Knocks replacing 24/7 though

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:37 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 50
No. American sports will never go the way of say the Premier League with games on 'premium' channels.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:42 PM
MountainHawk

It's been done on the local level, though, I would be surprised if it went national.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:46 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

The ONLY reason the game might get on HBO were if all coaches, refs, linesmen and players were mic'd so you could hear the unfiltered comments from the ice.

There's an edited version on 24/7 (some of the players, some of the plays), but not the whole enchilada.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 06:52 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
The ONLY reason the game might get on HBO were if all coaches, refs, linesmen and players were mic'd so you could hear the unfiltered comments from the ice.
that would be tremendous, but all anyone needs to do is just go to their local rink for any beer league game.....

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Shootmaster_44

I doubt they'd go to HBO. However, in HBO's infancy, there was NHL games on the channel.

Closest to an HBO I could see the NHL even consider would be FX. However, FX is mostly toned down compared to HBO. In both cases it would be a case of the NHL moving backward. I think the NHL's ultimate goal is to return to ESPN. I'm fairly certain the NHL wants a cable partner that is available in the most homes, thus HBO etc. are not a good choice.

If the NHL had their way though, ESPN would resemble TSN's coverage of the NHL. It would lead Sportscenter and have games on ESPN and ESPN2 three or four nights per week. It would also have at least two programs that daily are dedicated to the NHL. Of course, that will never happen with ESPN.

I do wonder whether the NHL would consider two network partners though? NBC could keep their day (which I believe is Sunday) while CBS (or one of the others) could have Saturdays.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:24 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
I think the NHL's ultimate goal is to return to ESPN.
Wouldn't have signed a 10 year exclusive deal with NBCU if that was the case...

Old
12-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Wouldn't have signed a 10 year exclusive deal with NBCU if that was the case...
I think it was a case of ESPN wasn't interested. I still think the NHL would prefer to be on ESPN, but it takes two to tango.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:00 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
I think it was a case of ESPN wasn't interested. I still think the NHL would prefer to be on ESPN, but it takes two to tango.
After the crap the NHL put up with when they were on ESPN before the lockout I think they're pretty happy with NBC.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:12 AM
skeena1

Quote:
I doubt they'd go to HBO. However, in HBO's infancy, there was NHL games on the channel.
First ever hockey game on HBO was Canucks 2 @ Rangers 5, Nov 8, 1972. Barry Wilkins scored the first Canuck goal, making him probably the only player in NHL history to score his team's first goal on two different networks. He had previously scored the Canuck 1st ever goal, on CBC, in 1970.

skeena1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:20 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
ESPN made it pretty known that they wanted the NHL back in some capacity. But NBCU had 1st rights to negotiate and blew them away with their offer, mostly due to the fact they guaranteed they'd carry every playoff game.

Old
12-18-2011, 12:58 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

ESPN was very interested... in putting the league on ESPN2 once a week and then having the Stanley Cup playoffs on ESPN. The NHL isn't dumb enough to long to be there, especially when NBC is consolidating it's NFL ties majorly and will likely be right up there with ESPN by the time the current TV deal expires.

Old
12-18-2011, 02:27 AM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

There's an edited version on 24/7 (some of the players, some of the plays), but not the whole enchilada.
That'd be the only way I'd pay for a game on a premium channel. And it's a fun idea.

Between tickets, Center Ice and the merchandise I impulsively buy each year the last thing I want to do is pay to get a premium channel just to see games.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Darlotto99

considering Comcast/NBC chairman is Ed Snider owner of the Flyers I think they made a wise move in staying with NBC. NHL will not take a back seat even if they get a NFL package they both can be treated fairly.

Darlotto99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:04 PM
nyrmetros

The rangers were on hbo in the early 70's I think....

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlotto99 View Post
considering Comcast/NBC chairman is Ed Snider owner of the Flyers I think they made a wise move in staying with NBC. NHL will not take a back seat even if they get a NFL package they both can be treated fairly.
wrong, wrong, wrong.

Ed Snider was the owner/founder of Spectator, the company that owned the Flyers between 1974 and 1996. In 1996, Snider sold the majority of the company to Comcast creating a subsidiary of the cable company called "Comcast Spectator", with Snider being kept on as chairman of that subsidiary. So while Comcast does own the majority share of the Flyers, Ed Snider does not own Comcast and the company itself has virtually no role in the operations of the team.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:48 PM
saffronleaf

Doubt it. But damn, they need to do more 24/7 things.

Winter Classic is awesome. One for the playoffs would be incredible. Even maybe one for the Thanksgiving game if they make that a solid annual thing.

That'd be perfect, actually. If they did those three things, then pretty much the entire season would be covered to some degree.

A man can dream.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 1500
There used to be games on HBO. The first sporting event on HBO was the Rangers vs Canucks.

12-21-2011, 10:21 AM
subban

I don't think you'll see hockey on espn anytime too soon. Pretty awfull how hockey is'nt on espn but is on versus, whos claim to fame is to broadcast deer hunting. Considering billards and ping pong is shown reguraly on espn that does'nt bode well for hockey. Maybe NHL needs some kind of reality tv show to heighten interest in the sport. some kind all reality show, showing everything on and off the ice. I know spike tv did the ulitimate fighter reality series and the business of the UFC went through the roof after that show aired.

subban is offline   Reply With Quote