HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Suter not happy, calling out the coaches

Old
12-21-2011, 12:11 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Well the exact quote has vanished now apparently. All I can find are these:

http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...nds-to-rumors/

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html

Not what I read the other day. The other day it was quoted where Poile said that he will not consider trading either one of them as long as we are in the playoff race. That leaves open for interpretation that if we fall out, we'll likely trade atleast 1 of them.
Well that makes two of you. I'll take your word for it then. But if anyone can find the actual link, thanks in advance.

12-21-2011, 07:12 AM
glenngineer

If Poile didn't consider trading Suter if we're out of the playoff race he's a fool. Of course he would consider it, it's his job as a GM. A GM's job is to analyze what he has on the roster, where the team is in the standings and do what's best for the team at that time and for the future. He has to consider trading anyone at any time on the roster.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Interesting words from poile regarding suter and weber. I sort of disagree with him about the teams play. Yes we won five in a row, but I think we didn't deserve winning three of those contests. Regardless, its going to be a strange trade deadline for sure.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:24 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
this is gonna get really old. Poile will say a bagillion times that we intend to sign them, and nobody will believe him until he does(or doesnt)

this is like the commercial where the woman tries to buy the crown jewels....

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:35 AM
WartracePred

Anyone see the tweets from dchesnokov this morning about Radulov? Pretty interesting quotes from Radu. He told the KHL's official magazine that his contract has an out clause allowing his return the NHL. Also said he doesn't "want to say anything about the NHL right now... I will consider offers if I get them." My interpretation is Radulov is ready to return as soon as next season IF the money is right.

That piece of the puzzle makes resigning Weber and Suter unbelievably complicated. Everyone wants a cup in Nashville. But they also want top dollar contracts. No one wants to sign unless the others sign. It's all in, or everyone wants out. If Poile pulls this off, he's an absolute genius. Just my opinion - which means nothing to anyone but me -- but I don't think he can pull it off.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:44 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Or Poile could do the unexpected and trade Radulov for a piece of the puzzle for a strong playoff team.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:52 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Or Poile could do the unexpected and trade Radulov for a piece of the puzzle for a strong playoff team.
True. I would think the team obtaining his rights would want a guarantee that Radu comes back to the NHL.

There just seems to be so many moving parts, so many loose ends to tie down. Makes my head spin with all of the possibilities. That's why I'm doubtful that something grand will happen. I see another Fisher-type move that doesn't convince Weber and Suter both to stay.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:00 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Anyone see the tweets from dchesnokov this morning about Radulov? Pretty interesting quotes from Radu. He told the KHL's official magazine that his contract has an out clause allowing his return the NHL. Also said he doesn't "want to say anything about the NHL right now... I will consider offers if I get them." My interpretation is Radulov is ready to return as soon as next season IF the money is right.

That piece of the puzzle makes resigning Weber and Suter unbelievably complicated. Everyone wants a cup in Nashville. But they also want top dollar contracts. No one wants to sign unless the others sign. It's all in, or everyone wants out. If Poile pulls this off, he's an absolute genius. Just my opinion - which means nothing to anyone but me -- but I don't think he can pull it off.
What in the heck does he mean considering offeres? He HAS to play for 975K the first season if he comes back to the NHL. It doesn't matter where he plays. If he truly wants to play here he will man up and accept that fact and then get paid the money he wants the following season,

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:01 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
True. I would think the team obtaining his rights would want a guarantee that Radu comes back to the NHL.

There just seems to be so many moving parts, so many loose ends to tie down. Makes my head spin with all of the possibilities. That's why I'm doubtful that something grand will happen. I see another Fisher-type move that doesn't convince Weber and Suter both to stay.
I see potiential. A deep system with a deep draft coming up. Radulov like an ace in the hole. The team's offense is not that bad and the pressing area of need is a big D man.

If Poile makes the proper moves Suter will be very happy.

(See! See! I tied it all back to the title!)

Old
12-21-2011, 11:06 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

If our top pair is willing to stay or want to leave is completely on them. All Poile can do is make them an offer. It is up to them to accept or decline it.

We've had plenty of posts saying we can barely afford the big three ... yet there are repeated posts saying we need to bring in mystery premiere forward X to get them to stay. If we can't afford the big three, how do we afford them plus this mystery player at an additional $5-7mil per year?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:18 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

IF the Preds are cap team next year, with the signings of Suter and Weber, they will have nearly 8 million for a forward.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Martin Erat ($4.500m) / Craig Smith ($0.715m) / Colin Wilson ($2.500m)
Matt Halischuk ($0.712m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Sergei Kostitsyn ($2.500m)
Patric Hornqvist ($3.083m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / Blake Geoffrion ($1.000m)
Jordin Tootoo ($1.350m) / Jerred Smithson ($0.800m) / Nick Spaling ($1.050m)
/ Brian McGrattan ($0.650m)

DEFENSEMEN
Shea Weber ($7.500m) / Ryan Suter ($7.500m)
Roman Josi ($1.000m) / Jonathon Blum ($0.850m)
Jack Hillen ($0.700m) / Kevin Klein ($1.350m)
Teemu Laakso ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($7.000m) / Anders Lindback ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS: J.P. Dumont ($1.333m) / Brett Lebda ($0.466m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,960,833; BONUSES: $125,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $7,339,167

Now this is CAP space not cash but if the team is willing to blow off the the mid point the cash becomes a semi moot point. Yes, the team can limit the cash but it's not a hard brick wall you can crash into but a semi permeable membrane.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:26 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
IF the Preds are cap team next year, with the signings of Suter and Weber, they will have nearly 8 million for a forward.

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN
Teemu Laakso ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS

Now this is CAP space not cash but if the team is willing to blow off the the mid point the cash becomes a semi moot point. Yes, the team can limit the cash but it's not a hard brick wall you can crash into but a semi permeable membrane.
If the Preds are to be a cap team they need an additional 2k sold per night on average at an increased average ticket price plus a lot more concerts. Trying to spend to the cap with the current attendance and pricing is Liepold era fiscal responsibility.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:36 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
If the Preds are to be a cap team they need an additional 2k sold per night on average at an increased average ticket price plus a lot more concerts. Trying to spend to the cap with the current attendance and pricing is Liepold era fiscal responsibility.
And that is why I said IF. I also want to know what cut the Preds are getting on non-hockey eventsz.

Old
12-21-2011, 02:08 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I think Suter and Weber both need to look at how they play with someone else.

They are both great, but they arent nearly as amazing split up as they are paired.

Could they find an ideal partner elsewhere? maybe, but if they dont, the team that pays 7-8 million per isnt gonna feel like they got their moneys worth...

(edit: this particularly applies to Weber... I think unless he knows Suter is there to cover him he is more tentative and not Beastmode Weber)

Last edited by PredsV82: 12-21-2011 at 02:33 PM.
PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:36 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Well that makes two of you. I'll take your word for it then. But if anyone can find the actual link, thanks in advance.
For what it's worth, a week or so ago on CBC during the intermission updates, they did a run through news throughout the league, and the panelists quickly quoted Poile saying exactly this, that if the Preds were in the playoff hunt by the deadline, then he wouldn't be looking to move Suter or Weber.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:49 PM
MarkMM

Quote:

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN
Teemu Laakso ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS

I don't get to watch as many Preds games as y'all do, so my opinion of this may not be on the firmest ground, but the defense (if that is meant to still be a strength) has a scary drop-off after the big two. One thing Vancouver's learned the past few tries to get deep in the playoffs is the need to have about 9 NHL-quality defensemen to go deep in the playoffs due to the physical abuse a Cup run engenders. I love the domination of Weber and Suter as a pair, but to take the next step, it may mean sacrificing some high-end strength for lower level consistency.

That, with a return of Radulov (fingers crossed) and the willingness of ownership to dig deep for another top line player and I think Nashville becomes a genuine contender. All the other players would have to play to their potential, or be moved to clear cap space for someone who will.

Regarding the cash issue, "playing to the cap" wouldn't have to mean it was a year-long thing, if the team held off until the deadline to add the expensive missing piece(s), it could minimize the cost, combined with the adrenaline rush of seeing management load up for a long run filling the stands, and with the playoff revenue, this may work out financially, too.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote