Notices

NHL approves 4-conference format [mod edit]

Old
12-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
There is chatter on the main boards that Winnipeg, along with NYR and Tampa, was one of the four "no" votes to this new alignment.

Has anyone else heard about this?
Hmmm...Chipman was on the radio last night saying he liked the realignment, being in with 2 O6 teams plus Minnesota, plus the Central Time Zone benefit. Chevy was positive about it too. They talked about how the realignment rights a lot of wrongs - e.g., Dallas and Minne playing so many road games on the West Coast/Pacific Time (apparently Dallas was "temporarily" put in the Pacific 13 years ago!). I heard nothing but good things (well, maybe a little concern with the high quality of opponents in our new conference). I was under the impression that every Western team voted in favor of this plan.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 03:26 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

vCash: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Sucks for me because I am gonna take up Nashville as my other/2nd team. Gotta have a back-up plan ya know. But yeah, I can see these two teams hating each other very quick.

So I just really looked at our conference, and well, it's an interesting conference. You have two O6 teams and a team in St. Louis that has been around awhile, but the other teams are all relatively young in comparison. But teams do have history together. The North Stars moved to Dallas and Minnesota was later rewarded an expansion team. So obviously there is a history with those two franchises. Not sure if that'll brew into something going forward. Then you have Winnipeg and Nashville. I think we all know how that could end up. Former Thrashers fans jump to Nashville and now do not like the Jets. This gives them all the more reason. Could be extremely exciting.
Don't forget Thrashers fans that like the Jets! I planned on supporting the Preds but the NHL decided to make that a bit tougher for me by blacking out their games on GameCenter. I ended up being drawn to watching the Jets games (starting with the season opener) to see how my favorite players would do. Sometimes it's really tough to be a fan of the Jets in the ATL (especially when I have to just watch the crowd celebrating on TV instead of being in the stands like I always used to be) but ultimately I realized when I come to the games in Nashville in my Thrashers jersey, I will be cheering for the Jets even though many wearing the same jersey will be cheering for the Preds.

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
This realignment is fantastic. I know many long time Jets 1.0 fans might not be happy with the Jets being separate from old rivalries with Edmonton/Calgary, an entire generation of Jets 2.0 fans like myself grew up without them, Edmonton and Calgary do not have any particular disdain in my books. I think Chicago and Minnesota are the natural rivals for this Jets team (Lots of Winnipeggers on Hawks and closest NHL city is in St. Paul's for WPG). This alignment makes the most sense for sure for me. I love the 4 completely separate division idea with inter-divisional playoffs. This will create many rivalries since you need to beat the same teams to advance to Final 4, and it will also vastly increase the emotion in divisional regular season games since you will need to claw through those same teams.

The only downside I see right now is they need to implement a crossover rule. It is completely not fair that some teams have to compete with 8 teams in a division, some with 7. The simple easy was to deal with that is if a 5th place team in one division is ahead of the 4th place team in another, that 5th place team crosses over and plays as the #4 seed in the other division. That would eliminate that unfair advantage, IMO. Oh, and I was really, really hoping Detroit would not be in the same division as Winnipeg. I just hate that team so much.

Also, this alignment sets the league up longterm to be more flexible. Easiest to shift teams around for relocation and expansion. In fact, if PHO moves to QUE it is a super easy fix (just move that organization from Conference A to Conference C). Then expand to SEA(add to Conf A) and HOU/KC (add to Conf B then move DET to Conf D) and you have a balanced league...

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 07:41 AM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

vCash: 50
1 v 16 - all rounds.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Lux Aurumque*

I both like and hate the new realignment.

It allows me to continue cheering for the Oilers, as the two teams are not in the same division, but we're also stuck playing Detroit as Chicago a lot. It will be tough to be one of the four playoff teams when Detroit/Chicago are virtual locks, and Nashville is also very likely to get in. I'm looking forward to the rivalry with Minnesota.

But I have to seriously question why the Panthers and Lightning are in a division with Toronto/Montreal/Etc.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:25 PM
Jetsfan79

The Jets would be 7 points out of a playoff spot right now using next year's re-alignment. And since the Jets would be playing the likes of Chicago and Detroit more often next year, odds are they would be even further behind.

1 Chicago 46
2 Minnesota 45
3 Detroit 43
4 St Lous 42
5 Dallas 39
6 Nashville 39
7 Winnipeg 35
8 Columbus 22

Right now they are 1 point out, and 7 points out of 3rd place

Let's face it, this re-alignment doesn't favour us at all for our playoff chances. And even just from a general competitive standpoint, this kills heated play off races for all teams. We will see allot more meaningless games late in the season, and playoff matchups getting drawn up with a month or more left in the season.

So using next year's model, L.A would be in right now (at 1 game above 500) but Dallas would out (at 7 games above 500)???

I cannot believe more people are not seeing how unfair this is.

Last edited by Jetsfan79: 12-20-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Jetsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:40 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan79 View Post
The Jets would be 7 points out of a playoff spot right now using next year's re-alignment.

1 Chicago 46
2 Minnesota 45
3 Detroit 43
4 St Lous 42
5 Dallas 39
6 Nashville 39
7 Winnipeg 35
8 Columbus 22

Right now they are 1 point out, and 7 points out of 3rd place

Let's face it, this re-alignment doesn't favour us at all for our playoff chances. And even just from a general competitive standpoint, this kills heated play off races for all teams. We will see allot more meaningless games late in the season, and playoff matchups getting drawn up with a month or more left in the season.

So using next year's model, L.A would be in (at 1 game above 500) but Dallas would out (at 7 games above 500)???

I cannot believe more people are not seeing how unfair this is.
This season isn't next season, and teams will not perform the same every year. We don't know exactly how WE will perform next year, or the year after that, or the year after that -- and of course, the team will be changing and evolving in that time. The only way the division is "unfair" to us if you're assuming that everything stays static, which it will not. I'm fine with us being in a division that's expected to be competitive, and I also believe that there's no reason the Jets can't build a team that can contend.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:53 PM
Jetsfan79

^Well that may be true but there is no denying that the 8 team conferences right from the starting gate, have an unfair disadvantage compared to the 7 team conferences. Less teams in the division means it's easier to get in just on math alone. I believe someone in the BOH forum calculated it as a 8% advantage for the 7 team conferences. It would be like lining up for a track and field race and having your opponent start 20 feet ahead of you at the starting line.

Honestly this is bush league people. I have no problems with the regular season's travel-friendly system but the playoff format has got to change.

So it's unfair in many different levels regardless of which team you follow. It's unfair from a selfish perspective that the jets will be stuck in a tough conference. Its unfair that teams with better records will miss the playoffs while weaker teams make it. It's unfair the 8 team conferences get screwed over on math alone. And in my opinion, it's unfair (albeit not as big a deal) that we will face the other canadian teams less often than any other CDN team while the likes of Tampa Bay and Florida will face teams like the Leafs and Habs 3 times more often that we do.

Here's an article that illustrates my point on the fairness issue:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...erently-unfair

Last edited by Jetsfan79: 12-21-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Jetsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:01 AM
No Name Poster
Maurice Navidad

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan79 View Post
^Well that may be true but there is no denying that the 8 team conferences right from the starting gate, have an unfair disadvantage compared to the 7 team conferences. Less teams in the division means it's easier to get in just on math alone. I believe someone in the BOH forum calculated it as a 8% advantage for the 7 team conferences. It would be like lining up for a track and field race and having your opponent start 20 feet ahead of you at the starting line.

Honestly this is bush league people. I have no problems with the regular season's travel-friendly system but the playoff format has got to change.

So it's unfair in many different levels regardless of which team you follow. It's unfair from a selfish perspective that the jets will be stuck in a tough conference. Its unfair that teams with better records will miss the playoffs while weaker teams make it. It's unfair the 8 team conferences get screwed over on math alone. And in my opinion, it's unfair (albeit not as big a deal) that we will face the other canadian teams less often than any other CDN team while the likes of Tampa Bay and Florida will face teams like the Leafs and Habs 3 times more often that we do.
When Phoenix moves it will balance out. Don't worry so much.
Also, you can't look at how well the teams are doing in the West and say it's unfair. That could change over night. The Hawks had some terrible years before they were good. St. Louis too. Sure the Wings will always be tough, but you have to roll with it.
Ask the Toronto Blue Jays how fair it is being stuck in the AL East behind New York, Boston and Tampa. And that's without a salary cap!

The fact that we have a salary cap makes this much less of an issue. The Jets are still in growth mode. There is no reason in a year or two why we can't be leading our new division. Book it.

No Name Poster is offline   Reply With Quote