HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much are you willing to give for that #1 C?

Old
12-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
The point of the Bruin comparison is that they won the cup with offensive depth, defensive ability among their towards, and team toughness. The Sabres have plenty of offensive depth. Their results have just been inconsistent so far because they lack defensive ability among their centers and overall physicality.

The Bruins didn't have a statistically elite #1 center last year. Not even close to one really.

The Sabres need to add more defensive ability and size to their top nine. They have plenty of scoring ability on the roster already.
Krejci's #'s were nearly identical to Backstrom's.

77 18 47 65 +24 8.9%
75 13 49 62 +23 8.3%

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 03:00 PM
ColonelForbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Krejci's #'s were nearly identical to Backstrom's.

77 18 47 65 +24 8.9%
75 13 49 62 +23 8.3%
I don't understand the point of the comparison. Backstrom had a down year statistically. Krejci has never really been a point per game player.

ColonelForbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 04:08 PM
PanicItsVanek26

Krejci was also great in the postseason 25GP 12G 11A 23PTS +8 21.1%.
Bergeron had 23GP 6G 14A 20PTS +15 9.0% while playing great defense.

Roy has 2G 8A 10PTS in has last 25GP in the playoffs.

People may not consider Krejci or Bergeron elite centers but they're very close, and they at least show up in the playoffs unlike the Sabres centers.

PanicItsVanek26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 05:33 PM
ColonelForbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicItsVanek26 View Post
Krejci was also great in the postseason 25GP 12G 11A 23PTS +8 21.1%.
Bergeron had 23GP 6G 14A 20PTS +15 9.0% while playing great defense.

Roy has 2G 8A 10PTS in has last 25GP in the playoffs.

People may not consider Krejci or Bergeron elite centers but they're very close, and they at least show up in the playoffs unlike the Sabres centers.
I agree with much of that, which is why my proposal had two new centers being added and Roy being shifted over to LW.

If a defensive center allows guys like Vanek, Pominville, Ennis, Stafford, Leino, and Kassian to play their offensive game and produce, the Sabres still end up scoring goals.

Teams like Anaheim and Carolina have elite first line centers and yet they're still near the bottom of the league.

ColonelForbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 05:52 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
My coach growing up, a former sabre, always generally had 2 centers on each line in case of a faceoff throw out. He always wanted his offense deep in centers.

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
leaving cap out of the equation... I can name 20 off the top of my head...
Crosby
Malkin
Toews
Stamkos
Nugent Hopkins
Tavares
Getzlaf
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Sedin
Kopitar
Seguin
M.Koivu
Kesler
Skinner
Couture
Giroux
Oreilly
Duchene
Well I suppose if you want to leave the realm of the realistic, McPhee would trade Johansson and Colorado's 1st for some of those guys. But I wasn't ignoring cap, contracts, or age. Derek Roy could realistically be traded. Few, if any of those guys, would be traded by their teams.

The big thing about a package of Johansson and Colorado's 1st is that you'd be giving up 5.5 years of team control with Johansson and seven years of team control with what's likely to be a top-10 pick, and could be as high as a top-5 pick. Johansson will unquestionably be a top-6 center, if he isn't already, and you're likely to get a top-line forward or top-pairing defenseman with that Colorado pick, especially in a draft with as much high-end talent as there is in this one. You don't trade off those assets unless someone like Getzlaf or Giroux becomes available.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:39 AM
BrawlFan

Sens fan coming in peace.

I can't really comment on Spezza cuz I'm biased but Colorado has a history of horendous trades, Varlamov WTF?!?!, Stastny for .... I dunno. Myers would be excessive but after the Turris trade who knows what the real value is for a center. I wouldnt give up Roy, Pomminville, Vanek....and Adam wouldnt be enough.

Anyway, I think the real pressing issue is a mean gritty D-Man, I would go for Brewer from Tampa or something so that Miller knows that ppl have to look up when coming at him. He just looks shaky, and although we have a rilvalry, I would like him to regain his form the olympic year.

Unfair to judge though with all those injuries...

BrawlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrawlFan View Post
Sens fan coming in peace.

I can't really comment on Spezza cuz I'm biased but Colorado has a history of horendous trades, Varlamov WTF?!?!, Stastny for .... I dunno. Myers would be excessive but after the Turris trade who knows what the real value is for a center. I wouldnt give up Roy, Pomminville, Vanek....and Adam wouldnt be enough.

Anyway, I think the real pressing issue is a mean gritty D-Man, I would go for Brewer from Tampa or something so that Miller knows that ppl have to look up when coming at him. He just looks shaky, and although we have a rilvalry, I would like him to regain his form the olympic year.

Unfair to judge though with all those injuries...
Carkner was an idea floated around the Trade Board post-Lucic incident. Taking this from center talk to defense for a moment, would he be someone the Sens could part with?