HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

TOI. vs Goals, Interesting!! (Avery discussion)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-21-2011, 10:36 AM
  #526
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
I think he mentioned that to call out Torts on the fact that he applies the 'control your emotions' and 'respect the game' mantra on Sean while he couldn't even do that himself, getting into an altercation - with a fan(!) - during a very important game.
I killed Torts for that. It was a disgusting and hypocritical display. But from that moment on, Tortorella has been a good asset for this organization. Hes brought the kids along, turned them into players, and was a major reason why Richards is here today. Hes been important to the development of several players, and its the reason why we're one of the top teams in the league at this moment.

I trust his judgment when it comes to limiting Avery's role. I wouldnt have said this in 2009, but hes earned that benefit of the doubt.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:09 AM
  #527
stan the caddy
Registered User
 
stan the caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I killed Torts for that. It was a disgusting and hypocritical display. But from that moment on, Tortorella has been a good asset for this organization. Hes brought the kids along, turned them into players, and was a major reason why Richards is here today. Hes been important to the development of several players, and its the reason why we're one of the top teams in the league at this moment.

I trust his judgment when it comes to limiting Avery's role. I wouldnt have said this in 2009, but hes earned that benefit of the doubt.
No he wasn't. Dollar bills are the major reason why he's here. Avery had as much to do with the Richards signing.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:12 AM
  #528
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
No he wasn't. Dollar bills are the major reason why he's here. Avery had as much to do with the Richards signing.
He had similar offers from a couple different teams. This is well documented.

I do appreciate your uncanny ability to say things just to say them throughout this thread though.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:34 AM
  #529
redfzn
#94
 
redfzn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
No he wasn't. Dollar bills are the major reason why he's here. Avery had as much to do with the Richards signing.
Brad took a few million less to come to NY. What the **** are you talking about?

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:49 AM
  #530
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
No he wasn't. Dollar bills are the major reason why he's here. Avery had as much to do with the Richards signing.
Yes Stan, Brad Richards is all about the $$$... Nevermind the fact that the Rangers are an Original 6 franchise based out of one of the greatest cities in the world and coached by an individual that Richards is good friends with and familiar with his coaching style.... It was all about the $$$ clearly, despite other teams offering more money....

Do you think about anything in advance before you make these bold assertions?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:04 PM
  #531
Khelvan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,376
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Pretty sure it's more likely that Torts just doesn't like Sean. You know, because we actually have a lot of evidence of that.
I can't believe that he has been so unfortunate to have this happen to him again. It is almost as if Tortorella, and his other coaches in the past, dislike Sean for factors beyond simple performance on the ice. But how stupid is that? Everyone knows that hockey is solely about on-ice performance. So how idiotic is it that scrubs like EC and Mitchell get to play over Avery?

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:06 PM
  #532
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
I think he mentioned that to call out Torts on the fact that he applies the 'control your emotions' and 'respect the game' mantra on Sean while he couldn't even do that himself, getting into an altercation - with a fan(!) - during a very important game.
Yeah, I get that. It still has nothing to do with the topic.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:05 PM
  #533
stan the caddy
Registered User
 
stan the caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Yes Stan, Brad Richards is all about the $$$... Nevermind the fact that the Rangers are an Original 6 franchise based out of one of the greatest cities in the world and coached by an individual that Richards is good friends with and familiar with his coaching style.... It was all about the $$$ clearly, despite other teams offering more money....

Do you think about anything in advance before you make these bold assertions?
He publicly stated that he wanted to come to NY regardless of who was coaching the team.

If you don't understand that the millions and millions and millions of dollars that we're paying him is the major reason why he signed here than I can't help you.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:12 PM
  #534
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils
 
Tanner Glass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,832
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
He publicly stated that he wanted to come to NY regardless of who was coaching the team.

If you don't understand that the millions and millions and millions of dollars that we're paying him is the major reason why he signed here than I can't help you.
If you don't understand that other teams offered him millions and millions of dollars more, thEn I can't help you

Tanner Glass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:12 PM
  #535
stan the caddy
Registered User
 
stan the caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,594
vCash: 500
I love how you give Torts credit for the Richards signing and call the two 'good friends' when the reality is, he's much closer to the guy who this thread relates to, AVERY!!!!

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:13 PM
  #536
stan the caddy
Registered User
 
stan the caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
If you don't understand that other teams offered him millions and millions of dollars more, thEn I can't help you
He supposedly had a slightly larger offer from Calgary which is in the middle of bum**** nowhere but it's not official.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:14 PM
  #537
stan the caddy
Registered User
 
stan the caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,594
vCash: 500
Did Brad Richards not say that he would have signed with the Rangers with or without John Tortorella?

That's all I have to say.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:26 PM
  #538
stan the caddy
Registered User
 
stan the caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,594
vCash: 500
I have an idea why he didn't sign in Tampa though...

Quote:
Tampa Bay Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said Friday night that free agent center Brad Richards has declined the Lightning's offer and will not be coming to Tampa Bay. The problem was the money. Richards might have been willing to take less to play for the Lightning, but not that much.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:55 PM
  #539
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
He publicly stated that he wanted to come to NY regardless of who was coaching the team.

If you don't understand that the millions and millions and millions of dollars that we're paying him is the major reason why he signed here than I can't help you.
Link me to the quote please... There are many quotes from him talking about Tortorella.... Brooks wrote about this in numerous columns too...

You still haven't responded to why he turned down more money from other teams, yet signed here, if it was all about the money in the end? Why not take the highest offer? Oh wait, Brad Richards isn't Scott Gomez.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:57 PM
  #540
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
I have an idea why he didn't sign in Tampa though...
Do you know anything about their ownership or their cap situation over the next several years? Check their contracts on the books. TB wasn't in a position to offer him fair market value... That implies nothing about him signing with the highest bidder, which the Rangers werent.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 07:33 AM
  #541
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
Did Brad Richards not say that he would have signed with the Rangers with or without John Tortorella?

That's all I have to say.
Funny that anyone chooses to believe without reservation what comes out of the mouth of a player or management or an agent and accept it as gospel.

How on earth did the Rangers beat down the Flyers without the most valuable player currently in the NHL? Must have been a pre-Christmas or Festivus miracle.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 09:34 AM
  #542
nyrleetch
Registered User
 
nyrleetch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Funny that anyone chooses to believe without reservation what comes out of the mouth of a player or management or an agent and accept it as gospel.

How on earth did the Rangers beat down the Flyers without the most valuable player currently in the NHL? Must have been a pre-Christmas or Festivus miracle.
Record with Avery playing is still better than without Avery playing.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 09:38 AM
  #543
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
Record with Avery playing is still better than without Avery playing.
He'll be able to use that magic touch with the wolfpack very soon.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 09:53 AM
  #544
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
Record with Avery playing is still better than without Avery playing.
That's due to the poor start with the long road trip and the team not yet clicking. Since then I bet the records are pretty much similar.

I just don't believe Avery still makes a difference. He isn't any worse but neither is he significantly better than the other bubble players Rupp and Christensen. All three have certain strengths and weaknesses. In the end of the day it's probably personal preference by Torts deciding who plays, but that decision won't make me losing sleep over it.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 10:03 AM
  #545
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
Record with Avery playing is still better than without Avery playing.
The mantra of Avery worship.

Rangers were better because of Malik. Same mantra. Agree with that or does the mantra only sometimes apply?

Avery adorers are fun.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 10:30 AM
  #546
NickyFotiu
Registered User
 
NickyFotiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,560
vCash: 500
You are both right. Brad has said different things at different times.

I read Brad say he would have signed here no matter who was coaching. That he liked our youth and thought we would have a few chances to win a cup. That Torts being here was just a bonus.

I have also read Brad say that Torts being here was one of the reasons he was attracted to the NY Rangers.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:32 PM
  #547
Khelvan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,376
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
The mantra of Avery worship.

Rangers were better because of Malik. Same mantra. Agree with that or does the mantra only sometimes apply?

Avery adorers are fun.
The record with Woywitka is better than without Woywitka. Imagine what it would be if both Avery & Woywitka were playing??

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:46 PM
  #548
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
I love Avery, but his time here is done unless injuries arise. He is our best 13th forward currently. But there are 12 guys who are more important to our success right now.

Mitchell, Rupp, etc are all better than him and bring more.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.