HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Alexei Emelin Thread

Old
12-21-2011, 10:55 AM
M.C.G. 31
4/4 - CP31

vCash: 233
We're really wasting this guy. He brings so much to the table and we keep constantly scratching him. He's an intimidating force on our blue line and we have him sitting up in the press box. He's been one of our best defenseman in the past month, IMO before he got scratched. Why he's scratched and not Diaz is a head scratcher for me.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:02 AM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Cunneyworth MUST play Campoli and Gill.

So, no room for Emelin for the moment.

+ Cunneyworth as well as Martin before, want Emelin to play on the right side...

Too bad.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Schwang

Good call. Bench your only physical defenceman! I just don't get this organization! How can they consistently make the wrong calls? EVERYONE else, including the media are scratching their heads. I mean, has Cunneyworth addressed his reasons for not dressing Emelin? I'd love to hear them.

To me,this is more frustrating than losing. I am so close to just giving up on the season!

Schwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:05 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Diaz hasn't been worse than Emelin. With the luck of this team two defenseman will soon be injured.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Chris G

In essence this brings the relative english/french coach debate full circle..."A **** coach is a **** coach no matter what language he speaks."

Chris G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:23 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I just don't see the point of filling up your blueline with soft, small, puckmovers at the expense of someone who can bring something different to your team and, arguably, play better D than some of those aforementioned puckmovers (namely Diaz, IMO).

And it's not like Subban and Gill haven't deserved a benching at various times this year.
It is odd you know, but over the last number of years, regardless of who is in charge, the organization doesnt seem to always get that. For years we have been undersized and then BG got us even smaller with Cammy, Gio and Gomer. Fine to have small, skilled , speed guys but they need to be comlemented with big , physical guys. Fortunately we growed up MaxPac and finally we had a GM go get us another power forward with Cole. A move I didnt like was moving Obyrne. Dont get me wrong, Obyrne is just a top 6 D-man, but I didnt like the trade ( and Bournival looks like he has potential to make it ) because Obyrne, despite his flaws, brought size and a willingness to hit and move players in front of the net, and we didnt have anybody else like that. You need to have a mix of different abilities, 2 Gretzkys on a team and you have a powerhouse, 12 Gretzkys and you have a disaster ( this wouldnt apply to a guy like Messier ). Problem is Cunneyworth may have the Habs culture to do stuff like this. BG broke up the team to get a new culture in, I think the same is needed for the coaches. My worry, shared by others is we may lose Emelin after this year or next when we should be treating him right and looking to lock him up long term, not because hes top 3, assume hes a 4 or 5 D-man, because he has elements we completely lack, and hes at least decent defensively.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Emelin is actually very good at moving the puck and he knows when to jump in on the rush unlike Campoli who does it at the wrong times. Emelin has only looked bad since being put on the opposite side.
Oh I agree with that, I've been impressed by Emelin's puck moving abilities...but I don't think there should be an outrage that he's sitting tonight.

He hasn't exactly been an immovable object from the top 6...he's been a mixed bag so far.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:25 AM
KirkMuller93

Can someone tell me what Campoli has done to merit staying in this line up over Emelin? I just dont see what he brings that is so special, he's not fast, he's not physical, he's not the greatest puck mover, if anything he just looks kinda weird and sloppy out there, would anybody really miss him if he was placed on waivers, I dont think so.

KirkMuller93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:29 AM
danyhabsfan

Id trade Campoli.

We have no use for him since we acquired Kaberle.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Lafleurs Guy

I really don't get why we aren't playing this guy.

Again, we pick up another patchwork fix to try to get 8th and we do it at the expense of our prospects.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:31 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I agree with this. I also hate that people need to belittle Diaz in order to feel better about Emelin. Diaz has been a much better defensemen overall. People should look towards Gill if they are angry.
Agreed. Unfortunately Gill picked up a couple of points the other night and that probably solidifies his position for a while.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:31 AM
KirkMuller93

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Id trade Campoli.

We have no use for him since we acquired Kaberle.
I agree, He just doesnt belong or fit in on this team, I really do not see what he brings, even on the pp he doesnt do anything special, what a waste of roster space.

KirkMuller93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:32 AM
overlords
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Oh I agree with that, I've been impressed by Emelin's puck moving abilities...but I don't think there should be an outrage that he's sitting tonight.

He hasn't exactly been an immovable object from the top 6...he's been a mixed bag so far.
He has, but I think his highs have been better than either or weber or diaz' highs. And at the very least, he gives us another dimension to our Dcorps. I also think we gain way more in the long run by doing more to develop Emelin than either weber or diaz.

Personally, I think they're shopping one of weber or Campoli, but that's just me.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
I just don't see the point of filling up your blueline with soft, small, puckmovers at the expense of someone who can bring something different to your team and, arguably, play better D than some of those aforementioned puckmovers (namely Diaz, IMO).

And it's not like Subban and Gill haven't deserved a benching at various times this year.
It's funny how last year Subban would make a mistake and he'd be out of the lineup, and this year he's making even more mistakes i'd argue, and he's untouchable. Funny how he went from the picked on rookie to untouchable vet in only a year. Last time i checked, Tyler Myers got benched this year. PK Subban needs to be treated like what he still is, a talented though inexperienced d-man. I just can't believe that Cuuneyworth hasn't taken advantage of these games that he's had a flu to rest him. Very dumb.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:38 AM
MathMan

Sigh. Emelin can't play the right side.

He'd have to bump off Kaberle (ha!), Gorges (lol), or Gill to make the roster. I think he has to bump Gill off sooner or later, but he cannot bump off Diaz.

He's caught in a numbers game right now.

As for Subban, he is the best D-man on this team. A few highly publicized mistakes do not invalidate his body of work.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He has, but I think his highs have been better than either or weber or diaz' highs. And at the very least, he gives us another dimension to our Dcorps. I also think we gain way more in the long run by doing more to develop Emelin than either weber or diaz.

Personally, I think they're shopping one of weber or Campoli, but that's just me.
Agreed they're shopping Weber or Campoli...maybe even Gill depending on how the season goes.

But generally speaking, yes, I agree with you...despite Emelin having mixed reviews, I think more would be benefitted by playing him every night. He seemed toplay his best when he was put on the left side for 5-6 games, he really came into his own. Then they traded for Kaberle & Campoli came back...

Lots of time left, lets see how it plays out

Old
12-21-2011, 11:40 AM
holyhabs

I wouldn't mind him getting in the lineup but he is not the same player on the right side. If you split up Gorges-Subban then you basically don't have a shutdown pair to use.

If Emelin continues to sit in the long run than I will be upset, but if all Montreal is doing is giving him time off to work on his game so he can adjust to playing RD than I am ok with it.

Also Emelin was not that good his last few games while Diaz was good vs Boston...sure nothing spectacular but no glaring errors. Let's all stop being fanboys for a bit.

This is like when we alll wanted Subban to play the PP over Weber and even after it happened Subban could hit the net, let alone score a goal.

So I know this may be hard for some to believe, but perhaps the coaches know what they are doing a bit more than us. I know we like to think we are the most knowledgable fans, proven wrong many times, but maybe the coach knows best. That's just a thought.

holyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Sigh. Emelin can't play the right side.

He'd have to bump off Kaberle (ha!), Gorges (lol), or Gill to make the roster. I think he has to bump Gill off sooner or later, but he cannot bump off Diaz.

He's caught in a numbers game right now.

As for Subban, he is the best D-man on this team. A few highly publicized mistakes do not invalidate his body of work.
Agreed on this assesment of the defense right now...he'll have to bump Gill out of the lineup.

Also agree regarding Subban...I have to seriously wonder what game people are watching to want to have Subban benched???

Old
12-21-2011, 11:44 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

It's not like we've been winning with Emelin out of the line-up so I really don't see any justification for keeping him out.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Also agree regarding Subban...I have to seriously wonder what game people are watching to want to have Subban benched???
You're kidding, right?

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
For a veteran moderator you exhibit very little patience

Emelin is a rookie, rookies get benched. They probably think Diaz contributes better defensively, which is a reasonable argument to make.

Weber being benched is a great sign though, that guy is ****.
What does being a veteran moderator have to do with his opinion? He does have patience, we patiently waited 5 years, the kid comes here and surprises by actually playing a lot better than anticipated. By far better than AHL material and guaranteed if we don't take him at least 10 teams will and 20 will minimum take a look.

He should be on the ice not benched in favor of guys who are not only terrible but also rookies or young. I don't see how anyone could defend this decision even if you like Cunneyworth.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Fenian24

Last thing you guys want is a hrad hitting d-man, he will stand out to much and make the rest of your d look bad. Therefore I suggest the Bruins send you Jordan Caron who would fit in nicely and you send us Emelin.

This seems more than fair to me (and sadly for you guys probably seems fair to Gauthier as well)

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
You're kidding, right?
No, i'm dead serious...I swear, the only time people notice PK Subban is either if he scores a goal or makes a mistakes.

Nevermind anything in between that he does extremely well...

Like it or not, but a player like Subban who does so much is going to make mistakes...it's well worth the trade-off IMO.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:56 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:

While I agree and would to see him play. The list below shows the left side defenders for the habs. Emelin looked out of place when he played on the right side. One of those would need to be injured or sit out for Emelin to play.

Gorges - Needed for PK and shut down guy
Kaberle - Needed for PP
Gill - Needed for PK and shut down guy.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
No, i'm dead serious...I swear, the only time people notice PK Subban is either if he scores a goal or makes a mistakes.

Nevermind anything in between that he does extremely well...

Like it or not, but a player like Subban who does so much is going to make mistakes...it's well worth the trade-off IMO.
The problem is that he's making a ton of mistakes, and those are very noticeable. If he doesn't sit, he should have his minutes cut. He's a liability with his current play and icetime. Not saying he should be perma-scratched, but it could serve as a wakeup call.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote