Notices

Jordan Smith, who lost sight in left eye in pro hockey, to play for Lakehead

Old
11-16-2006, 07:36 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

vCash: 500
Jordan Smith, who lost sight in left eye in pro hockey, to play for Lakehead

After the frightful injury, he came to accept the reality that he'd be better off choosing a different career. So, he decided to become a teacher, and now he'll attend Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, Ont., for the schooling that will someday put him in a classroom - and allow him to play hockey again.

He'll begin his hockey comeback in January with the varsity Thunderwolves. Coach Pete Belliveau has him pencilled in for a Jan. 5 game in Windsor, and Smith is excited about the prospect.

"It was an unfortunate injury but I don't hold a grudge," Smith said in an interview. "I love the game of hockey and it is still my passion.

"What hurt me the most was not being able to pursue my dream, but I'm thrilled I have a chance to continue to play."

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid...e&service=page

mikefavata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 90
What a class act. I wish him all the best! GL and thank you!

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 09:57 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Yea I thought it was a nice story and that you'd guys would like to see him doin' well. Best of luck to Jordan with school & whatever level of hockey he plays and everything else.

mikefavata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2006, 06:24 AM
Fighter
Soviet Duck

Best of luck to Jordan for his future!

Fighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2006, 02:27 PM
BraveSirRobin
Ducks offseason

Send a message via MSN to BraveSirRobin
I really miss Jordan, he could have been a good one. Glad to see he's able to continue to play hockey though, and get a college education to boot.

BraveSirRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 09:40 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

Jordan SMith played his first game last night for the Thunderwolves. Here is an article about the game: http://66.244.236.251/article_10206.php

He looked alright. I think once he gets a little more comfortable out there he could be a dominant player in the CIS. He was quite feisty and looked good with and without the puck.

MacDaddy TLC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 09:46 PM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy TLC View Post
Jordan SMith played his first game last night for the Thunderwolves. Here is an article about the game: http://66.244.236.251/article_10206.php

He looked alright. I think once he gets a little more comfortable out there he could be a dominant player in the CIS. He was quite feisty and looked good with and without the puck.
Awesome! Go JORDAN!

Thanks for telling us!

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2006, 02:09 AM
Dirk316

Great story. Sad thing is if the incident didnt happen he would probably be playing here instead of Huskens

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Piratesfan

A Great Guy

Jordan is such a nice guy. He was at the Pirates home opener and was very available to the fans. He was a fan favorite here in Portland and will remain so. I am happy that he is able to continue to play the sport he loves. Good Luck Jordan!!!

Piratesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:58 AM
n80

Hey guys!
How good was Jordan on the ice?
Can he play pro again?

n80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Interesting question and a name that I haven't heard in a while.

As most know, Smith lost his left eye in an on-ice accident during his rookie year with the Pirates. He now has a prosthetic eye instead, but was able to continue playing with Lakehead for the full five years of his eligibility, including captaining the team in Lakehead, being named an OUA All-Star and the team captain for Canada at the World University Games. This goes to show just how talented Smith was prior to the injury. He was projected to fill a top-four blue-liner position with a combination of skill and grit.

Unfortunately, the NHL has a certain level of eyesight required to sign a contract and by missing an eye, Smith doesn't pass that threshold. There could still be options available in the minor leagues in North America or in Europe, but given his education and his goal of becoming a teacher (plus the fact that he finished with Lakehead last season and hasn't resurfaced), I'm wondering if that's in his plans any longer.

For interest, here's a story about another player who suffered a similar injury back in 1994 and carved out a journeyman pro career: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...5562/index.htm

12-20-2011, 02:40 PM
grinder05

As I posted a month ago or so in the former players thread. Smitty is now coaching my Midget hockey team, in Thunder Bay. He's quite the coach and one really nice guy. He looked into playing overseas but didn't feel the money was their. So it appears as if he has retired from Hockey. As he is happily pursuing his career as a carpenter.

grinder05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:05 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder05 View Post
As I posted a month ago or so in the former players thread. Smitty is now coaching my Midget hockey team, in Thunder Bay. He's quite the coach and one really nice guy. He looked into playing overseas but didn't feel the money was their. So it appears as if he has retired from Hockey. As he is happily pursuing his career as a carpenter.
Thanks for the update. You're lucky to have a coach that has had a career like his, I'm sure he has a great understanding of the balance between life and hockey. Good luck with the rest of the season!

heusy_79 is online now   Reply With Quote