HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2011, 03:37 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Personally, I think that the NCAA made a big blunder here. The self imposed sanctions by OSU were already pretty tough, and no one would have thought much about it had the NCAA gone along with them.

This decision by the NCAA shows a total lack of any fairness, or understanding of what affect banning a major program like OSU from a bowl game will do to so many entities. The lost revenue to so many businesses, OSU, the Big 10 along with major TV revenue lost will be staggering.

Ludicrous decision by a power hungry, dictatorial, and out-dated organization.
I disagree.

I could be wrong, but I believe the TV contracts and bowl payouts are static. The Rose Bowl will pay the same to a team and the league whether OSU is the team in it or Indiana.

I don't think fans are going to stay away either even if there is a post-season ban. In Urban Meyer's first season? No way.

I can't think of businesses that will lose significant money. Local travel companies?
Folks are still going to go to bars and drink and eat wings and watch OSU football. They'll just have two less games to see next year, neither of which are guarantees anyway.

OSU loses money, definitely.

Old
12-21-2011, 07:57 AM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Is this the "Fire Gene Smith" thread? Because dude needs thrown out on his a$$.

Old
12-21-2011, 08:09 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!

Anything preventing USC and OSU from playing each other in December since they are not going to a bowl? Think that would get some decent ratings next year. Why not call USC and get that game on the schedule. It's not a bowl.

But it would be a bowl.

12-21-2011, 08:16 AM
650X2

Schedules are set multiple years and advance and the NCAA would be very against them having their own cheaters bowl or whatever.

Old
12-21-2011, 08:17 AM
BluejacketNut

The only thing harsh about the punishment is the stupidity of the punishment. A couple people f'd up, so lets punish the kids coming in after them. Its like someone stealing from a company, and then the following employee's being punished for it. Fine the schools, that's whats going to make a dent.... for-fitting games is the dumbest punishment...they were played, we know who won the game. The scholarships is a better punishment then the bowl game ban, lets the kids who didnt do any wrong still participate. Im curious to see what Miami gets

Old
12-21-2011, 08:30 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plong123 View Post
Is this the "Fire Gene Smith" thread? Because dude needs thrown out on his a$$.
Absolutely!

Old
12-21-2011, 09:16 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650X2 View Post
Schedules are set multiple years and advance and the NCAA would be very against them having their own cheaters bowl or whatever.
Teams have changed in December for the next year routinely.

But...I checked. USC is off probation next year. So, nevermind.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:06 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

One of the main issues I have with the NCAA is why did they wait until now to decide? Why didn't they decide back in September and have the Bowl ban be this year rather than next? I just hope there wasn't a "oh, OSU looks like they'll be bad this season, so we'll just ding them next year instead" idea in the NCAA's mind.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:33 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
One of the main issues I have with the NCAA is why did they wait until now to decide? Why didn't they decide back in September and have the Bowl ban be this year rather than next? I just hope there wasn't a "oh, OSU looks like they'll be bad this season, so we'll just ding them next year instead" idea in the NCAA's mind.
The tatgate ruling was supposed to come down in early to mid october, that was the timeframe announced after the hearing in mid august before the NCAA... then they discovered Herron, Posey and another player were being paid by booster Bobby D. Geronimo for the "phantom" jobs, not to mention the info that came down in early in the season that Travis Howard, Jordan Hall and others, including Pryor, had been paid to "work" a charity event.... so they had to investigate that too, and, of course, when Pryor's appeal for the nfl suspension was denied, he starting opening his mouth to the NCAA as well...

OSU also didn't get tagged with the "failure to monitor" from tatgate, that only happened once these other stories came to light. There likely wouldn't have been a bowl ban without that charge.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 12-21-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old
12-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
The only thing harsh about the punishment is the stupidity of the punishment. A couple people f'd up, so lets punish the kids coming in after them. Its like someone stealing from a company, and then the following employee's being punished for it. Fine the schools, that's whats going to make a dent.... for-fitting games is the dumbest punishment...they were played, we know who won the game. The scholarships is a better punishment then the bowl game ban, lets the kids who didnt do any wrong still participate. Im curious to see what Miami gets
This is my point exactly. The NCAA makes a lot of innocent people pay for the mistakes of a few. Those few already paid steep prices for their transgressions, but the NCAA decides that the rest of the team, school and their fans must also pay. I agree a big fine to the athletic department would be better.

Then there is this.

Quote:
The NCAA Committee on Infractions, however, deemed Ohio State deserving of a stiffer slap because the school failed to monitor a booster — Cleveland-area businessman Bobby DiGeronimo — and because of former coach Jim Tressel’s “unethical conduct” in hiding his knowledge of rules violations.
How in the hell is any university going to be able to monitor every fricking booster out there. That is a demand that realistically is impossible to meet. And, how would the University know that Tressel was hiding something since, it was hidden?

The bowl ban?

Quote:
“Normally, that penalty would be imposed if there had been ineligible players taking part in a bowl, but those players that took part in the Sugar Bowl last year for Ohio State had already been reinstated by the NCAA for that particular game,” he said.
So the NCAA reinstates the players to play in the bowl game, then issues a bowl ban two years later since they played in the previous bowl?

One more.

Quote:
Mitten, an Ohio State graduate, also said he thinks the NCAA was unfairly hard on Ohio State for Tressel’s actions. “Tressel concealed those violations, not the university — and the NCAA even said that.”
http://www.buckeyextra.com/content/s...-football.html

Again, Tressel F's up, pays the ultimate price, but now the University must also pay.

Once again, this was the NCAA showing it's ASS! Hell, it's a lot of fun bringing a big football program like OSU's to it's knees. One big power trip.

Old
12-21-2011, 01:29 PM
BluejacketNut

While Tressel is definitely responsible, I dont believe for a second that Smith and company didnt know about it.

Old
12-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I am reserving judgment on the NCAA's judgment until I see how they deal with Miami. That's all.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
12-21-2011, 03:52 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post

So the NCAA reinstates the players to play in the bowl game, then issues a bowl ban two years later since they played in the previous bowl?

That's definitely a good point. NCAA signed off on allowing those guys play.

I also like the idea of fining the university as opposed to taking away a bowl game for players who haven't gotten in trouble.

But as for monitoring the boosters, I can't give OSU a pass on that in this case. While it's true you can't watch everyone, DiGeronimo was already on OSU's radar (according to the university) and already had been barred from some access to the program and players.

http://www.the-ozone.net/football/20...easonsban.html

Quote:
Ohio State was still accepting monetary donations from DiGeronimo and OSU compliance was still allowing players to attend his charity events and work for his excavation company during the off-season.

They did not sign off on the latest charity event in Cleveland—the one that led to the suspensions of Jordan Hall, Travis Howard and Corey Brown—but only because DiGeronimo did not file the proper paperwork. To the NCAA, this was proof Ohio State failed to properly monitor DiGeronimo.

Old
12-21-2011, 03:55 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I am reserving judgment on the NCAA's judgment until I see how they deal with Miami. That's all.
And North Carolina.
And Oregon.

Three far more egregious cases than OSU (at least in my opinion).

I think the NCAA will hit those programs -- at least Miami and UNC -- harder.

Oregon deserves it since Chip Kelly (like Tressel) has been caught red-handed lying on the issue they're facing, but it's been so quiet on that front (does ESPN even know where Eugene is?) that I'm not sure what to expect.

Old
12-22-2011, 12:45 AM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Teams have changed in December for the next year routinely.

But...I checked. USC is off probation next year. So, nevermind.
Could you imagine what a beautiful slap in the face it would be for two giant programs to successfully put on their own bowl game outside of the NCAA. It might be the final shove that topples the whole corrupt system.

Old
12-22-2011, 07:51 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Could you imagine what a beautiful slap in the face it would be for two giant programs to successfully put on their own bowl game outside of the NCAA. It might be the final shove that topples the whole corrupt system.
Or, it might be the final shove to get two repeat offenders the death penalty. Then, I suppose, they could play 12 game schedules against each other and NAIA schools. Boy, that'd show 'em!

How about if they deal with the situations they caused for themselves as adults, instead of like petulant children throwing their toys against the wall?

Old
12-22-2011, 08:02 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
(does ESPN even know where Eugene is?) .
Phil Knight doesn't think so....

Old
12-22-2011, 02:07 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Or, it might be the final shove to get two repeat offenders the death penalty. Then, I suppose, they could play 12 game schedules against each other and NAIA schools. Boy, that'd show 'em!

How about if they deal with the situations they caused for themselves as adults, instead of like petulant children throwing their toys against the wall?
you're right. Let's let the NC double-Adolph do whatever they want. Nothing bad ever happens by staying out of the way.

Old
12-22-2011, 02:55 PM
BluejacketNut

The NCAA is as hypocritical as if PETA would have pig roast bbq

Old
12-22-2011, 03:22 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

I just hope and pray that the Basketball team makes a run this year and finally wins a National Title. It would surly help ease the pain of another losted football season and CBJ suckage.

Old
12-22-2011, 04:22 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
The NCAA is as hypocritical as if PETA would have pig roast bbq
The only thing more hypocritical than the NCAA are the member institutions that complain about the rules they helped put in place, while hiding under the umbrella of the NCAA to protect them from having to comply with health, safety, and employment regs. If you want to know what the NCAA is all about, find the October issue of The Atlantic. The cover story is titled "The Shame of the NCAA" and will make you regret even comparing them to PETA!

Old
12-24-2011, 02:57 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Bengals pulling a Jacket right now.

Old
12-24-2011, 03:20 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Bengals pulling a Jacket right now.
It almost happened...

:

Old
12-24-2011, 06:53 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
It almost happened...

:
But it didn't.... and the Jets lost to the Giants.... I don't expect them to win a playoff game as they would likely have to go to Pittsburgh, Baltimore or New England, but hey, way to get us pleasantly surprised. They played Baltimore tough last time (albeit with Ray Lewis), and almost came away with a W (had a Jermaine Gresham TD called back that certainly looked like it was a judgement call at best). If they can miraculously beat Baltimore, a 3-3 divisional record and a 10-6 overall record would look mighty fine to this Bengals fan.

Of course, the way this last decade as gone for the bengals, its been up one year, then, when all the hype starts rolling in the next season, they flounder.....

Old
12-24-2011, 08:30 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
But it didn't.... and the Jets lost to the Giants.... I don't expect them to win a playoff game as they would likely have to go to Pittsburgh, Baltimore or New England, but hey, way to get us pleasantly surprised. They played Baltimore tough last time (albeit with Ray Lewis), and almost came away with a W (had a Jermaine Gresham TD called back that certainly looked like it was a judgement call at best). If they can miraculously beat Baltimore, a 3-3 divisional record and a 10-6 overall record would look mighty fine to this Bengals fan.

Of course, the way this last decade as gone for the bengals, its been up one year, then, when all the hype starts rolling in the next season, they flounder.....
I don't see a scenario in which that would happen, unless Andy Dalton and AJ Green both get hurt.

Andy Dalton just seems to have all the tools to be an elite quarterbackk imo, and Green is already a star. He catches everything thrown to him! Ive never seen anything like it before. Oh well, whenever i get optimistic, it bites me in the ass, so I'm prepared for the worst.

Closed Thread