HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Alexei Emelin Thread

Old
12-21-2011, 02:41 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
No it doesn't.

If Martin was consistent about one team it was that fourth-liners didn't get to play much. People whine about Darche's icetime, but at that point Darche was the #9 forward on the club and was on the third line alongside Eller, and Martin was using Eller as a tough-minutes defensive center. Darche ended up with a lot of icetime because Martin trusted Eller and Darche happened to be on Eller's wing.

Cunneyworth, OTOH, had Moen available, bumping Darche down to #10 on the depth chart, safely on the fourth line with Nokelainen and Blunden. What Cunneyworth did was not the same as Martin. He didn't use Eller as a tough-minutes center with Darche just along for the ride. He benched the Eller line halfway through the third and gave big minutes to his fourth line. I can only speculate about his motivations, but it seems Cunneyworth did this because he believed Blunden-Nokelainen-Darche would help him come back and win the game.

If there's one thing we learned about Martin, it's that he would never believe that.
You missed my point. I wasnt saying Cunneyworth is being like Martin. I said that Gauthier is dictating to Carriere what he wants done with regard to personnel and ice time.

Cunneyworth is simply "there".

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
If I was Burke I'd be making an effort to tap up Emelin for Toronto.
I don't think Burkie leans that way.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I don't like this, frankly. If the other guys were playing well, I would sit him but right now we're better with Emelin on the team.

New coach: be worried of what you wish for.

Old
12-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I don't think Burkie leans that way.
You'd be surprised. He picked up Grabovski that was almost universaly hated on these boards and not one single journalist in Montreal liked or gave a **** about... Emelin's the type of player I'd see many GMs giving a shot to.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:54 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
You'd be surprised. He picked up Grabovski that was almost universaly hated on these boards and not one single journalist in Montreal liked or gave a **** about... Emelin's the type of player I'd see many GMs giving a shot to.
I think you missed the play on words Kimota was using for that reply.

Old
12-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I think you missed the play on words Kimota was using for that reply.
****. Missed it. Sorry Kimota... But I have no problem with that either.

Old
12-21-2011, 02:59 PM
MathMan

Quote:
You missed my point. I wasnt saying Cunneyworth is being like Martin. I said that Gauthier is dictating to Carriere what he wants done with regard to personnel and ice time.
Unless Gauthier is actively looking for the draft pick, that would be a weird thing to mandate...

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:00 PM
LePoche69

I'm a bit amazed by how most people think that benching Emelin is such a dumb idea.

I mean come on, I too like the guy, but it's not like they were benching a Norris candidate! I mean, Habs weren't better when he was in the lineup.

And I'm amazed how people think they know better than Martin, Cunneyworth, Pern, Ladouceur, etc, who all thought Emelin wasn't ready to play on a regular basis. Come on, those guys played and coached the game with success. And yet we're supposed to know better rthan them how to win a game?

Am I the only one finding Emelin very slow to react in his own territory and having tough time making a first pass? Beside Campoli who just came back of an injury after not having a real Training Camp, I found Emelin to be the worse d-man on the team. Gill is worse in some aspects, but at least he does something on the PK and is a leader.

Beside Hitting hard, I don't think Emelin has been very good. I would still give him the year as a schooling, but we must get real. We're talking about a 5-6-7 d-man who gets benched! Nothing to write home about!

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
****. Missed it. Sorry Kimota... But I have no problem with that either.
You don't say!

Old
12-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
Am I the only one finding Emelin very slow to react in his own territory and having tough time making a first pass? Beside Campoli who just came back of an injury after not having a real Training Camp, I found Emelin to be the worse d-man on the team. Gill is worse in some aspects, but at least he does something on the PK and is a leader.

Beside Hitting hard, I don't think Emelin has been very good. I would still give him the year as a schooling, but we must get real. We're talking about a 5-6-7 d-man who gets benched! Nothing to write home about!
You're probably not the only one to think that way...

Is he very slow to react in his own territory? No
Is he having a tough time making a first pass? No
Is he the worst D-Man (besides Campoli who's recovering)? No

Old
12-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
You don't say!

Not for me... Burke can do what he wants in his spare time.

Old
12-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
I'm a bit amazed by how most people think that benching Emelin is such a dumb idea.

I mean come on, I too like the guy, but it's not like they were benching a Norris candidate! I mean, Habs weren't better when he was in the lineup.

And I'm amazed how people think they know better than Martin, Cunneyworth, Pern, Ladouceur, etc, who all thought Emelin wasn't ready to play on a regular basis. Come on, those guys played and coached the game with success. And yet we're supposed to know better rthan them how to win a game?

Emelin is average. You are right that he is slow to react and doesn't have a great outlet pass. He Hits well but has lapses in positioning and contributes nothing on offense. But around these boards Emelin is better than the Montreal Canadiens because he hits a lot. For some reason on this board he's hailed as Nick Lidstrom.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:07 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
You're probably not the only one to think that way...

Is he very slow to react in his own territory? No
Is he having a tough time making a first pass? No
Is he the worst D-Man (besides Campoli who's recovering)? No
Well, then we don't agree. To me, your 3 "no's" are 3 "yes'".

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:13 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Unless Gauthier is actively looking for the draft pick, that would be a weird thing to mandate...
Not really. Gathier is not a fan of physical DMen based on a lot of his signings.

Old
12-21-2011, 03:14 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Emelin is average. You are right that he is slow to react and doesn't have a great outlet pass. He Hits well but has lapses in positioning and contributes nothing on offense. But around these boards Emelin is better than the Montreal Canadiens because he hits a lot. For some reason on this board he's hailed as Nick Lidstrom.
No..., I think hes hailed as a top 6 D-man who is a big guy and hits, and we have nobody else like that. He just adds an element we dont otherwise have on the D, and its actually an important element.

yianik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
No..., I think hes hailed as a top 6 D-man who is a big guy and hits, and we have nobody else like that. He just adds an element we dont otherwise have on the D, and its actually an important element.
Can't disagree there. He does hit a lot and hitting is an important element. But it's one of many important elements.

Old
12-21-2011, 03:19 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Not really. Gathier is not a fan of physical DMen based on a lot of his signings.
I'm sure that's why he traded an extra second just so he could draft Tinordi.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Jigger77

Makes me laugh when I read "so and so is not a fan of physical D-men".

Who in their right mind, who is employed in hockey at the highest possible level would not be a fan of physical defensemen?

Emelin is not benched because he is a physical player.

Think people. Think.

Old
12-21-2011, 03:35 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:

Who in their right mind, who is employed in hockey at the highest possible level would not be a fan of physical defensemen?

Think people. Think.
Gauthier brings in Campoli, Diaz, Kaberle this year.

Would you consider any of those three to be physical?

Sure, he signed Emelin but here we are on a thread talking about Emelin not getting playing time.

I agree that hockey is not one dimensional. You need your shut down DMen. Check, we have that. You need your playmakers. Check, we have that. You need your physical DMen. Check, ooops, we dont have that. He is press boxed.

Physicality lately has been the least dimension used in Montreal. And, Gauthier is in charge of that. Carriere is his Assistant GM/non coach Assistant Coach.

Finally, I laugh about all of the players that we have "in the future". Until Tinordi is playing regular shifts for the Habs, he is simply wishful thinking.

Old
12-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Jigger77

Quote:

Sure, he signed Emelin but here we are on a thread talking about Emelin not getting playing time.

I agree that hockey is not one dimensional. You need your shut down DMen. Check, we have that. You need your playmakers. Check, we have that. You need your physical DMen. Check, ooops, we dont have that. He is press boxed.

Physicality lately has been the least dimension used in Montreal. And, Gauthier is in charge of that. Carriere is his Assistant GM/non coach Assistant Coach.

Finally, I laugh about all of the players that we have "in the future". Until Tinordi is playing regular shifts for the Habs, he is simply wishful thinking.
All fair points. But that doesn't mean Gauthier doesn't like physical players or defensemen. Guys who are known for physical play AND who are good all around defensemen don't grow on trees and teams tend to want to keep them.

Emelin is physical, but there are other areas they believe he needs improving in (regardless of whether you agree with that or not that is what they think). They aren't benching him because they think he's too physical. They are benching him because they believe he needs to work on other aspects of his game.

Old
12-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:

Exactly. Gauthier went and get Kaberle cause he 1 realized he ****ed up in the Markov signing and 2 Diaz and Weber can't handle that job which is fine. They are young and have to learn. We have players that will do what Diaz will(offensively) but we don't have a physical D man which he should be playing ahead of Diaz

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Lions999

Emelin was our best D for about 10 game span until he got switched to wrong side when Kabs got traded. He was playing with Diaz and they were doing great. But JM likes to switch things when someone is playing great.

Lions999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:44 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
All fair points. But that doesn't mean Gauthier doesn't like physical players or defensemen. Guys who are known for physical play AND who are good all around defensemen don't grow on trees and teams tend to want to keep them.

Emelin is physical, but there are other areas they believe he needs improving in (regardless of whether you agree with that or not that is what they think). They aren't benching him because they think he's too physical. They are benching him because they believe he needs to work on other aspects of his game.
Emelin is not the Saviour of the Habs. And I would be foolish to believe that.

He does add to the dimension missing in our D....toughness and can hit. He makes occasional mistakes (just like our other players) but is overall a player who has shown significant improvement.

I dont think that Gauthier/Carriere sit around and say "Lets press box Emelin because he is too tough". That would be foolish on my part as well. However, Gauthier's inability to identify, recognize and understand what is missing from our D is just as glaring and wrong as if he did it intentionally.

Old
12-21-2011, 04:20 PM
KirkMuller93

Quote:

Think people. Think.
What has Campoli done that merits him to be in the line up over Emelin? This I wanna hear

KirkMuller93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Slick Eller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkMuller93 View Post
What has Campoli done that merits him to be in the line up over Emelin? This I wanna hear
Same.

I think he is bad at both end of the ice and weak physically.

Slick Eller is offline   Reply With Quote