HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal out with a concussion (1/2: Cleared to Play)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-21-2011, 11:26 AM
  #376
Hensch
Registered User
 
Hensch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 416
vCash: 500
I don't want Staal in the WC either, get your conditioning back just before the playoffs, you're going to need it kid!

Hensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:35 AM
  #377
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Anybody think he goes down and plays a game or 2 with the Whale after he's cleared for contact and has had a few weeks of that under his belt?

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:39 AM
  #378
Hensch
Registered User
 
Hensch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Anybody think he goes down and plays a game or 2 with the Whale after he's cleared for contact and has had a few weeks of that under his belt?
Can he even go down to the AHL?

Hensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:42 AM
  #379
MugatuNYR
so hot right now
 
MugatuNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensch View Post
Can he even go down to the AHL?
Yes, on a conditioning stint. Staal has to agree to it though. I think maximum allowed for a conditioning stint is 14 days.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:59 AM
  #380
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party
 
DonCherrysSuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Anybody think he goes down and plays a game or 2 with the Whale after he's cleared for contact and has had a few weeks of that under his belt?
I don't see why he wouldn't. He's obviously going to be out of shape and need some conditioning before he can play in the NHL again, and I'm sure he wants to play some hockey as soon as possible.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:12 PM
  #381
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,848
vCash: 500
From: @AGrossRecord
Sent: Dec 21, 2011 1:08p

Marc Stasl could consult with Dr. Robert Cantu after planned hard skates tomorrow and Thursday. Hoping to be cleared for contact post-Xmas.

sent via HootSuite
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/AGrossRecord/stat...51752998428672

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:15 PM
  #382
IBleedNYRBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedNYRBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
From: @AGrossRecord
Sent: Dec 21, 2011 1:08p

Marc Stasl could consult with Dr. Robert Cantu after planned hard skates tomorrow and Thursday. Hoping to be cleared for contact post-Xmas.

sent via HootSuite
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/AGrossRecord/stat...51752998428672
Good news.

I really hope they don't rush him back though. Would absolutely be terrible if he came back too soon and had a setback. I'll be ecstatic if we can have him back by March.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:20 PM
  #383
nyranger61494
YNWA
 
nyranger61494's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Good news.

I really hope they don't rush him back though. Would absolutely be terrible if he came back too soon and had a setback. I'll be ecstatic if we can have him back by March.
After the criticism they received for playing Staal last year (unfairly in my opinion) after suffering the concussion, there is no chance they rush him back.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:23 PM
  #384
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,848
vCash: 500
From: @AGrossRecord
Sent: Dec 21, 2011 1:20p

Regarding possibly playing in Winter Classic, Staal says he's trying to stay positive so he doesn't want to say no but likelihood very slim.

sent via HootSuite
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/AGrossRecord/stat...54930158534657

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:00 PM
  #385
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
On a more positive note, Staal said he plans to skate hard again both Thursday and Friday and “then maybe consult with Dr. (Robert) Cantu and go from there.”

Staal is hoping Dr. Cantu, the Boston-based specialist, will clear him for contact after Christmas. Staal said he was not sure whether he would have to travel to Boston to meet with Dr. Cantu or they would do a phone consultation.
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r..._staal_update/

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:36 PM
  #386
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,062
vCash: 500
Where are all the posters who were certain he was done for the season?

Glad to hear he should be back sometime in January... Rangers will desperately need his presence on the ice, especially with Sauer being out.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:56 PM
  #387
Giglio NYR15
Section 417
 
Giglio NYR15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Where are all the posters who were certain he was done for the season?

Glad to hear he should be back sometime in January... Rangers will desperately need his presence on the ice, especially with Sauer being out.
Expectations lead to dissappointment! If I said march, not dissappointed if it got that far.

Giglio NYR15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:07 PM
  #388
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Expectations lead to dissappointment! If I said march, not dissappointed if it got that far.
Don't fear disappointment. Fear leads to the dark side.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:15 PM
  #389
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,371
vCash: 500
I think Staal will be fine when he comes back. His height makes his head tough enough to hit, though that doesn't help him with the boards. He's a tough guy, and it's been a good long while since the hit.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:45 PM
  #390
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,720
vCash: 500
Great, great news!

As for a conditional stint? He's not going to the AHL

That is extremely rare for star NHL players that have played years in the league already. If he was a fringe NHLer or a young player i might see him go down for a game or two.

They aren't sending a star player down for some nobody down there to try to make a name for themselves by putting him through the glass.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:46 PM
  #391
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
I think Staal will be fine when he comes back. His height makes his head tough enough to hit, though that doesn't help him with the boards. He's a tough guy, and it's been a good long while since the hit.
Tell that to Lindros

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:47 PM
  #392
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,350
vCash: 500
I would be very surprised if the Rangers don't send him down for a conditioning stint with Hartford. There is nothing like getting a player out of the spotlight and letting him re-find his game in a less pressure-packed situation than throwing him out there for a NHL game.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:48 PM
  #393
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinFan62 View Post
Great, great news!

As for a conditional stint? He's not going to the AHL

That is extremely rare for star NHL players that have played years in the league already. If he was a fringe NHLer or a young player i might see him go down for a game or two.

They aren't sending a star player down for some nobody down their to try to make a name for themselves by putting him through the glass.
Guys get sent on conditioning stints all the time...

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:51 PM
  #394
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Guys get sent on conditioning stints all the time...
Name me some star players(or even above average players) who have been sent down for a conditioning stint in the past year..

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:52 PM
  #395
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,720
vCash: 500
People make it sound like he's missed 3 years of hockey.

He hasn't been skating for a total of what, 3 months? He's not going to the AHL.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:58 PM
  #396
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinFan62 View Post
Name me some star players(or even above average players) who have been sent down for a conditioning stint in the past year..
What does that matter who was sent down when. It happens. The guy hasnt played a professional game in nearly 8 months. It's not an insult to him or his ability.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:00 PM
  #397
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
What does that matter who was sent down when. It happens. The guy hasnt played a professional game in nearly 8 months. It's not an insult to him or his ability.
I'm not saying it is.

Im just saying teams rarely send good players down for cond stints. These guys are pros, will he jump into 25 minutes his first game? Of course not. He will probably play 15-17 minutes his first game then build that up. That's how he will get back into 100% game shape.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:05 PM
  #398
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinFan62 View Post
Tell that to Lindros
Staal doesn't skate with his head down 90% of the time.

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:14 PM
  #399
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,848
vCash: 500
When the last time the Rangers or really any NHL team had a player have a rehab stint in the AHL? That's a baseball move. They send players(both pitchers and position players)to the minors for rehab stints.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:16 PM
  #400
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
When the last time the Rangers or really any NHL team had a player have a rehab stint in the AHL? That's a baseball move. They send players(both pitchers and position players)to the minors for rehab stints.
Exactly.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.